“3rd trip”

Ranked #58 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
canada
“3rd trip”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

back for 3rd time to Cuba, 2nd stay at Acuazul. Food seemed much improved sine last year, had weekly candle lit turkey dinners, lots of shrimp and calamari, tho most choiced at meals were repetetive.
Was on 3rd floor facing pool ( last year on 4th ) I find the music very loud and Cubans very loud talkers so at nightly entertainment I watched from my balcony.Girls at pool bar very pleasant and remember your choice of beverage.
only 1 elevator works ( same as last year ) NO internet ( broke ) late opening for supper a few times, pool not heated. Room are good size, very clean, brought own TP, but room always supplied, no face cloths, bathtub stopper ( tubs are deep ) found hotel shop expensive wanted
2.20CUC for smokes, across street same thing at 1.20CUC. Shop across street on Calle 13 is rip off, if manager there tells girls what to chg tourists. One bottle rum cost me 6CUC 1st week, second week 11CUC ( manager standing by till ) Some of photos on site I am sure must be from Apt bld next door, as they are not of Hotel Acuazul

Room Tip: ask for pool side room, street side can be noisy and busy in early morning
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank william2Canada

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Slovak first
Prince George
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

To start off with: I normally travel 'backpack-style' and have never stayed at an all inclusive resort before. I simply booked 8 days at Acuazul because the package was cheaper than just a flight to Cuba. Also means that I only spent my first day and my last 2 days at the hotel so I didn't get to know the hotel very well.

The good:
- Location is not too bad, towards the edge of Varadero town.
- Everything was reasonably clean
- Never a long wait to get drinks at the bars at the beach or at the pool
- Food was decent overall, lots of vegetables, lots of fruits, every knight a chef would grill some fish, chicken or meat on a hot plate in front of the buffet. Even some pasta salad. Good ice cream. On the other hand the food wasn't tremendously tasty either, quite bland overall.
- Front desk staff efficient and helpful
- Maid cleaned room every day I was there and always had toilet paper.
- Pool was nice

The bad:
- Tennis court doesn't have a net.
- Old furniture in the rooms. I'm a good sleeper but bad sleepers could have trouble with the bed
- Noise on the street at night
- They only managed to get the hot water running on the last day of my stay! Before that it was just a tad bit warmer then plain cold.
- The snackbar most of the time didn't have a lot of choice with regard to snacks (bread with ham and cheese anyone?)

Room Tip: Street side gets noisy for long periods of the night, better to get the other side where there will...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank TerrenceB82
Saskatchewan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

I just returned from a two week stay. I was put into the Varazul building which is just on the next block over form the main 'Acuazul' hotel. I think the building must have been an apartment type building at one time as the suites had separate bedrooms, a little kitchen area and living room area.

Check in was quick and the staff at the front desk were the most pleasant I have had in my 9 trips to Cuba.

My room - it was very basic with old furniture etc but on the upside, it was clean and didn't have ants or bugs like I've had in most other hotels I have stayed at. The best was that I had hot water, plenty of towels and toilet paper every day! On the Sunwing site, the hotel description said there was a microwave and fridge. My room had neither but other guests did have such things - I think they may give those appliances to long term guests. The safe in my room did not work but I didn't fear that anyone would steal from my room.

I don't know what the rooms are like in the main Acuazul building but think that they may be the better rooms? I also didn't realize (It's not mentioned on the hotel description) that the hotel also has beach front units that can be had at no extra cost. I heard from other guests that they were nice and the only downside was the one block walk to the main hotel for dinner/drinks.

The lobby, washrooms, and pool/bar area were always clean and tidy. The bar staff were always great to deal with despite some rude guests ( I hate to pick on people, but the hotel had a ton of Russian guests - some of whom were just terrible - loud, rude and drinking like it was their last day on earth. I feel sorry for the staff who just have to smile and take how they act).

At 9:45 PM each night shows were put on outside at the pool/pool bar stage area. Usually it was dancing and singing and on both of the Mondays that I was there, they had a really good magic show.

The pool bar stays open all night but at midnight they stop serving booze. In the lobby there is a nice bar but it is a pay bar where booze, coffee and pop can be had.

The buffet did not have great food yet it was better than most of the hotels I have been at. The staff were always attentive in getting drinks and clearing tables, there was always cutlery to be had and it was clean. A downside to the buffet is that they have the plates in the middle of the food line up which causes a terrible jam if there are many people there - if they would put the plates at the beginning of the food line, it could be much more orderly.

Also not mentioned in the hotel description is that there is a beach bar. It is located at the end of 15th St just down from the Varazul building. It isn't far at all and actually closer to get to than a lot of other resorts with larges grounds. There is also a public washroom on 15th St just before the beach bar which is an added bonus.

There were always enough loungers to go around and again, not mentioned in the description is that there are kayaks, paddle boats and a catameran boat that can be had at no charge.
In the description of the hotel it is said that the towels are 5cuc. I was charged 22 for a towel but got it back when I returned it.

I didn't see any activities for small kids but off the lobby they have a games room with pool tables, fooze ball and table tennis. Come to think of it, I don't think I saw any kids at the hotel.

The hotel is in a good location with he double decker bus stop right in front of the Varazul building. There are lots of places to eat around and bars. While there the 'big' market at 15th was under construction as they are putting up new tents etc and it looks like it will be ready to go again fairly soon.

In booking this hotel I expected it to be noisy as it's on the main street. I brought ear plugs which killed most of the traffic noise etc.

The one think I wasn't ready for was the small bar across the street from Acuazul. On both of the weekends I was there, starting just after midnight up until 3 AM they played music, and I mean played on some huge speakers - no one I talked to could sleep through it! Not fun when you have an excursion booked early in the morning and only get a couple hours sleep.

Room Tip: check out the beach front bungalows!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank rkcleveland
Halifax, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

The room was the worse I ever seen, I went to flush the toilet it broke, opened a door and the doorknob fell off, never had toilet paper, always had to ask. Room was not cleaned everyday, not even the beds were made everyday. Could not believe the state of the room.

Lobby was clean and the lobby washrooms were clean, buffet area was free of flies which I really liked, and the food was good, was surprised at the food. Best I had at a resort/hotel.

Drinks were awful and so was the service at the pool bar, you can just tell these girls did not want to be there. but then again who could blame them, the other patrons at the hotel were downright rude and pushy.

The front desk staff were very helpful and pleasant. Security guys were friendly too

I would of liked the hotel if the rooms were in better shape, and were a lot cleaner and if they were more English speaking people, would of been lonely if I was by myself.

The beach area was okay, no washrooms, the beach bar was awful, again the drinks were gross, the guy at the beach bar looked very dirty, I would not drink there after having one drink.

Room Tip: run for your like if you get room 503
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Shelley L

Travelers are raving about these Varadero hotels

Hamilton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

i picked this hotel due to its simplicity and price,excellent on those two parts.My room on the fourth floor was superb and my housekkeeper,Yaneyy Cantillo,did an superb job...The snack bar had simple food but tasty,open from 10 am to 5 pm daily.The buffet is a different story,lacking in many areas,staff was nice but did well at breakfast.There is a nice snack bar across the street,open 24 hours,beer was 1 cuc and the food was very low and cheap.THe half roast chicken was very tasty and only 5 cucs with all the trmmings.the pool and groundskeeper was a really nice guy and went out of his way to help me out.my only major problem is that the hotel cateres to mostly russsians and they dont talk to anyone and are mostly rude.The ladies at the gift shop at the hotel were all really kind and patient with all my requests and the prices are all mark,keep away from the store across and up the street,they charge double for akk things.I wonder why????The bar staff took excellent care of me and the beer was always cold.
would return if i ever go with friends so i have some one to chat with from canada,my area.

Room Tip: ask to be put pool side by the elevator,rooms have safes
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank jdacosta16
Mississauga, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

Very basic hotel, clean. They were fixing a lot of the building while we were there, so I think they are trying to improve. They are located very close to the main strip in Varadero, so lots of things to see and restaurants near by, all within easy walking distance. Very short walk to the beach, where they have boats, catamarans and bicycle boats to use, included in the cost. Bit deceptive in the advertising though...there is a restaurant on top of the beach bar, but it is not included with the hotel. All you can get at the beach bar is drinks, no food. So if you want a snack you have to walk back to the hotel. Minor inconvenience though and did not really affect us.

The food was a bit hit or miss. We always found something to eat and travelled with our 5 year old son, who was thrilled to have pancakes for breakfast everyday! We did eat out for dinner 3 times as this was our second trip to Varadero and we had heard that the Chinese food place, Lai Lai, was good and it was. Also went to a restaurant off Calle 29, just up the street from Villa La Mar Hotel. Very small place called Del Ray or something like that. Very good food! I would recommend that place even if they were in Canada.

Overall the service was good, with some waiters/waitresses being fantastic and attentive and others not showing much interest. We did tip when we felt like someone deserved it and it was appreciated and consequently when we went back at other times and they were there they made sure we had everything we needed.

They do have internet access in the lobby. You pay 4 CUC for a half hour.

It was a bit noisy in the morning with city traffic and roosters, but nothing too loud and since it was right on the main strip, it was expected.

I would recommend this hotel for someone who is on a fixed budget. It is not a 3 star, probably closer to a 2 star, but it met all of our requirements and we really do not have any complaints. I would consider going back as for the price we paid we were happy.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Scrampeg
Florence, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

I have visited Cuba 27 times over the last 8 years. I have stayed at multiple hotels in Varadero and I have to say, unless you're looking for a 4 or 5 star hotel, this is my pick. I stayed at Acuazul in January and June 2012. It's a clean hotel. The staff are very friendly and accommodating. If you want a more "laid-back" environment with the pleasures of the beach, pool, bar, etc. you've still got that but not all the noise and racked that you find at the larger hotels. Also, the rooms are good sized.

There was a problem with two of their water pumps during my recent trip which left us with little to no water on our half of the hotel for a couple of days. But they allowed us to change rooms and others of us to use showers in other rooms for those who didn't want to bother with changing rooms.

As with most of the hotels in Varadero, the food in the restaurant is not much to write home about, but there are some very good restaurants in the surrounding area. The location is good. The largest tourist market is just one block away.

I will surely stay at this hotel again. I have stayed at others where the rooms were dirty, the staff were rude and they were infested with mosquitoes. Not at Acuazul!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends