“Peace on earth!”

Ranked #47 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Longueuil, Canada
“Peace on earth!”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Just arrived from a family stay at Puntarena and we are all greatly impressed. The best value for money I've ever seen in Varadero. The hotel has recently been renovated and the rooms are brand new. Very friendly staff, food was OK for a 3 stars hotel in Varadero.
The pools were very clean and the beach was awesome

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Mome L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Saskatchewan
Reviewed May 21, 2013

This was our 8th trip to Varadero and the 7th time staying at this hotel. The hotel had been closed for eight months for renovations and had just opened a few days before we arrived. We were greeted with smiles, hugs and a welcome Cuba Libre. After catching up with the latest news, we were shown to our room, 7th floor, ocean view. All of the staff were happy to have returned to work and it was obvious that they were glad to be back.

The renovations include a much needed new fire escape, the leaky roof has been completely replaced, the main floor and second floor were freshly painted. The work was still on-going while we were there but was not disruptive. The staff were constantly cleaning, there were fresh towels everyday and there were no problems with toilet paper. We always had some along just in case and hardly ever needed it. We had an issue with the hot water and after a phone call to the reception desk, someone came immediately to check out our room and fixed the problem. The Chinese al a carte was set to open soon. The 24 hour coffee bar is on the main level and they serve ham and cheese sandwiches at night. The main bar is on the second level. We had a great time making Ceasars and the bartenders are a lot of fun. The guests that were there taught them English slang words and they taught us Spanish slang words. The waiters and waitresses all aim to provide the best service and do a great job. Mini and Suani will be working in the Chinese Restaurant when it opens and provide great service with a smile. The buffet was not open as there were not enough guests yet, and it was just a short walk to the next hotel. We didn’t mind the walk, what else is there to do when on holidays and it wears off some of the calories. The second floor bathrooms were still under construction and were to be functional soon. Saw the work in progress and it was starting to take shape. The lunch beach bbq was open a few times during our stay and was a highlight, food was great and was a shame that it was not open everyday. If that was not open, lunch was in the buffet at Playa Caleta, which was also good. They served a stir fry or pasta, didn’t try to many items from the buffet as the food at the grill looked the most appetizing. Found the food to have improved since last year and apparently there is new management. The only complaint we had was that they don’t run the air conditioner in the buffet at the Caleta and birds fly in through the open windows and eat the pastry and bread off of the buffet and off your plate if you leave your plate unattended. We asked at the Puntarena and they said that there is air conditioning in their restaurants and the windows aren’t open. Hopefully the buffet will open in the near future as the rumor was that they did some renovations there as well. The windows are open in other common areas which didn’t bother us. The two hotels have now joined and there is a walkway near the pools to go from one hotel to the other. The elevators worked fine, there were no ants in the room and if we brought food to the room, we put it in the fridge and had no problems. We brought ant powder just in case and didn’t need it. We didn’t spend too much time at Playa Caleta other than to eat so can’t comment much there. We saw one show which was very well done and had heard from other guests that most of the other shows were good as well.

Bring OFF, the mosquitos were bad this time of year every where we went in Varadero.

Will we return for a ninth trip? Of course. Will we stay at the Puntarena? Of course. It is our home away from home. As soon as we board the plane to come home, we start planning for our return trip the next year.

Room Tip: 7th floor, ocean view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
13 Thank JandLSaskatoon
Lantzville, Canada
Reviewed May 15, 2013

The Puntarena is now open and I cant wait to go back the hotel has become one with the sister hotel Caleta. As a family we have been to the Puntarena 9 times and have enjoyed every time the staff are great we are treated like family when we stay there we are greeted at 3 in the morning when we arrive or 10 at night always with a smile and big hugs, we have always felt this is were we will stay. We have traveled to many 5 star hotels around the world the marbel floors and never had the experience that we have in Cuba. We have 2 Cuban daughters that work in the hotel and Caleta we stay in contact all year and three grandchildren from them they bring us such joy. We are going in June and I cant sleep at night with excitment to see everyone at the hotels its not Paris or Mexico open your hearts enjoy the Cuban people make some friends and they will treat you like gold. The restaurnts in town are fantastic and the dancing in the streets at night and music are great. Keep a open mind they dont have much to work with but they will try very hard to make sure you enjoy your trip Love to Delondia and Katty see you soon Mama Deb from Canada

Room Tip: Rooms on the ocean side are beautiful love to have my coffee on the deck and look out to the ocean
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank debra2012254
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My Boyfriend, myself and other friends all traveled looking for a great place to relax as well as have that party atmosphere. We traveled in August and it rained everyday for about 2 hours in the afternoon, which we did not mind because it was refreshing and we didnt feel bad about going inside to take a nap or play some in door games. The hotel itself is nice and seems to be well kept, the rooms however were disgusting and my boyfriend and I asked to move rooms which they did for us no problem. They have two al le cart restaurants and only one of them was opened. The buffet was disgusting and only had rice, soup and gross meats. there was nothing that i expected to see like pizza or pasta. The lobby bar is on the second floor and the bartender there was 5 star! He was amazing and definitely made our trip! Thanks Steven Segal as he said his name was! Haha.

I wanted to go to cuba for the beach as everyone said to go for and I was VERY dissapointed, not only was there no chairs anywhere, when you finally get the chairs you have to drag them to the shore and they were never clean. I also ended up getting a rash on my leg that looked like bite marks everywhere from the sand and we were hardly on the beach! We spent most of our time at the pool area which was ok i guess.

The snack bar was where my friends and I ate most of the time, however, the lady that worked there looked upset to help us. The only thing at the snack bar was sandwiches and usually tuna or hamburgers which was ok but not that satisfying.

Drinks- If you are looking for the slushy style pina colada and those tropical drinks you will NOT get them here. I was so looking forward to it and my group of friends and I ended up eating dinner outside the hotel almost every night and I finally got some decent drinks which I paid for... disappointing. The cups there are also incredibly small, one sip and you are done.

I was thankful we met some friends there and happy to all be at the disco which was not that bad i must admit. Music was good, thats all you need. We did however go outside the resort to different clubs like la rumba and the cave which was maybe a $5 cab ride. Just remember to be careful with cab drivers and negotiate the money BEFORE you get in the car.

It may have been the time frame we went but it was quiet disappointing and I have had a bad reputation of Cuba all together now, I will be traveling to Cuba in this upcoming May but definitely going to a different resort! Hopefully this resort gets better because it was terrible when we went.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Elisa B

Travelers are raving about these Varadero hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Top floor facing the ocean, but I think all the views in this hotel would be excellent since the canal is on the opposite side. The breeze and sound from the ocean flowing through the room was what
was exceptional about this place and I |enjoyed it to the fullest. I slept especially well, as the beds
were very comfortable and clean.
The food was fine. Bread and ice cream were very good. Dining room a little dark, a few small
changes would boost this place considerably. Pasta and egg station were good but depends how
hungry you are as there are long lineups.
I enjoyed the trip and I would go back as this hotel is close to everything, small and a safe environment for someone traveling alone. It is just a little tired.

Room Tip: Top floor corner had a awesome view and the elevators were fast and efficient.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank psTt
glenrobertson
Reviewed January 4, 2013

very excellent bar tender number 1 hotel is the best service is the best me and my wife want to go ervery year at that place we want to go back in fev 2013 but look there no place . we got the 6 floor for the room whith the ocean view that was excellent.the food is number 1 thanks to sunwing for the service to was number 1. if sombody 1 cant give me the bar phone number i just want to thanks i him again for the perfict service that he give us me and my wife. i im diabetic and i feel like home in that hotel .thanks to every body for a beauty full tripe

Room Tip: floor 6 ocean view
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank serge l
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

This place is rated a three star in some places its rated a 2 and a half star. The elevators never worked the main lobby looked and felt old the building looked like its about to come down. This should have been a nightmare vacation right? It should of been a terrible experience right? WRONG!!!!!! Best views ever the beach was so amazing the service was shocking how good it was. The food was better than one might think looking at this old gal. The location was perfect first stop from the airport ride and so easy to catch the bus from. I dont know why but this was the best vacation we ever had. The other guests were great too the main lobby bar was packed and we made new friends every night. The drinks were good and the espresso and cappuccinos were the best.
I cant explain it. We just had a great time. Its not a three star but for some reason we had a great time.
Be open minded and come prepared sunscreen bugspray everything you would use back home bring it.
Dont be scared if you want a budget vacation this is the place.
Have Fun....