“Pretty decent”

Ranked #4 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Sale, Manchester
“Pretty decent”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We travelled as a couple to the Blau Varadero in October 2012.
Staff:99% of them were brilliant with the odd miserable exception but I would take that statistic anytime. The staff were great, waiters/ess, cooks, generally all of them were great. Very helpful and always smiling. You were never without a drink for long as they were very efficient and always around.
LIfts: Somewhat annoying at times. Lifts would often pass the floor higher than you requested because someone pressed the button first higher than you. Especially in the evening as a member of staff would stop at ALL floors collecting glasses on a trolley. This was particularly annoying but hey, on holiday, there's no rush right !
Room: Had a lovely maid called Betty. Although we had some ants in the room they were not really a problem so we didnt report them.Room safe included which was good and big enough for Ipad etc..
TV - Could do with more english speaking channels so watched a lot of CNN which isnt always great. Hurrican Sandy was all over it !
Pool: Was great if not a little cold....Colder than the sea anyway. Nice pool though and quite big.
Food: In general the food was great. Lots of choice and they mixed it up by having some feature nights in repsect of "cuisine from around the world" There are some Al a carte restaurants which you get some tokens for which were good to.
Hurricane "Sandy" or what is commonly known in the USA as "Superstorm Sandy" passed by during our stay and quite a few hundred miles away. This said, the winds and rain were phenominally hard and strong. The hotel was partially flooded with rainwater at one point but it didnt spoil the stay, I'm just glad we were no closer to it. The sea state was pretty rough afterwards and the red flags were out for most of our stay which was a little disappointing as we love the sea but at least we were safe. There were lifeguards on patrolling and blowing their whistles to stop people swimming which was great to see.
We are divers and managed to dive with Barracuda diving out of Varadero but we needed a 2 1/2 hr coach journey to the south (Bay of Pigs) because of the sea state. Amazing diving there though and well worth the trip.

Overall: This hotel was great. It is not on a par with other hotels I have been to with the same star rating but this is Cuba and part of the charm is regular power outages, locally sourced ingredients and food and the smiles which MOST of the Cubans have.

One word to the wise...Everyone and I mean Everyone will try to sell you Cigars !! It gets pretty funny as the weeks progress as your replies are ever more honed, down to a single shake of the head is enough. What is great is they dont continually pester you and follow you. Just a sharp "no thanks" and a smile is enough.

I would return to this hotel as we had a wonderful time. We stayed for 3 nights in Hotel Saratoga in Havana before coming to Varadero and I have written a report on this hotel to.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Cantona0707
Yuni_Romero, General Manager at Blau Varadero Hotel Cuba, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Cantona0707,

In the name of all the members of our staff and the Blau management I would like to thank you for your warm review.
Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with other clients. We are happy to read that you enjoyed our food.
Thank you for the good reviews about our staff.
Kind regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,552)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Horley, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Fabulous hotel, so much good food, you won't be left wanting, cocktails, tried them all, ( be careful ) lol.
Staff amazing and genuinely friendly, we will deff be going back and hopefully taking some family with us.
:):)

Room Tip: If you ask for a standard room, it will be exactly that, nothing too posh and if you are a couple ma...
7 Thank DOlphin5563
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Almost everything about our two week stay at the Blau Varadero was fabulous!! My husband and I were there with a large group for our wedding, and we wouldn't have changed a thing. Sabina, our wedding coordinator, was amazing. Everything was looked after perfectly, from cake to flowers to location.
The hair stylist was great - made my short hair look perfect for a wedding.
As far as the resort goes - beautiful beach, beautiful pool, and wonderful staff!!
The food was decent - same options every night, but lots of them.
The elevators are slow, and not always working, but your on vacation. Relax and enjoy!!
Overall the Blau was a GREAT choice for venue, location and people!! We'll be back for sure!!

Room Tip: It's definately worth it to request an ocean view. We were on the 12th floor and could see forev...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Laurie D
Dear Laurie D,

In the name of all the members of our staff and the Blau management I would like to thank you for your lovely review.
We are glad to read that you had a nice wedding here. I will tell Sabina about your warm review.

Thank you for the good reviews about our staff. We are happy to hear you are coming back. It is a pleasure for us to have you here again.
Zagreb, Croatia
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Absolutely wonderful, and my rating would definitely be excellent, but I got food poisoning which ruined one day of my stay in this hotel. But doctor hotel came really quickly and fixed the problem with good medicines immediately. Despite of this fact, everything else is perfect, even including the food, and as they say, everything is made to feel nice when you're there. Staff is great, beach is absolutely amazing, beach bar, really nice pool, we weren't satisfied with room when we first arrived, and the problem was solved asap. Go there, won't regret it.

3 Thank MPCroat
Dear MPCroat,
Thank you very much for choosing Blau Varadero Hotel to spend your holidays in Cuba.
Sorry to hear about the room the first night. We are happy to see that you liked our food and facilities.
Thank you very much for recommending the Hotel to other customers. We appreciate it very much.
Hope to see you soon
Kind regards
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We spent 10 days in the Blau Varadero,it was our honeymoon,and it was amazing.
Simple,nice and clean rooms,daily room service. food selection was a bit repetitive at the buffet,but the a la carte restaurant's were great.The cockail bar really nice as well.
Nice and friendly staff.
Best beach,with sunbeds,beach bar,beach towels.
Good activities- pedal boat,scuba diving,spa...
The lifts were unreliable and slow.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Ramona M
Aberbargoed, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Couldn't fault the location or the staff, entertainment we ignored as usual despite their best efforts to include us. Beautiful gardens, boardwalk through to the beach and vines growing down to the bars and lobby from the floors above were spectacular. Food was good, even for all inclusive and as all drinks were included we made full use of the bars! Staff attentive and extremely helpful. Was quite quiet for the first week but filled up more on our second week, even then it didn't seem too crowded. Our first room looked over the gardens toward the beach which was great, when we returned from our trip to Havana we were in the top floor facing the front of the hotel with a spectacular view. We could rave about this hotel all day but to sum it up, well worth the money and would stay there again.

Room Tip: If you're fit, the higher the room, the better the view and the glass lift makes the ride great!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Welshjedi
Dear Welshjedi,

We are glad to read that you liked the hotel.
Thank you for the elevator review.
uk
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We travelled to this hotel early November for 2 weeks. It's been a year since we first visited this hotel and our third stay in Cuba. This hotel without a doubt is better in many ways (even though it was great the first time) the food choice being the main one, there is an excellent choice in the buffet restaurant, they even have themed nights (mexican etc) which I can't recall them doing previously. I am seriously fussy when it comes to food but never had an issue finding something to eat. I think people need to remember this is Cuba so my advice would be don't go comparing it to other Caribbean destinations and you will be fine, I am also over cautious and ask for everything cooking a little longer on the grill which the chefs are happy to do. The drinks are excellent, the cocktails are great and they also serve some international brands at no extra charge. I think for me it is the staff that make this hotel so good. Nothing is too much trouble and they work so hard to please you. This visit was special to us as we got married here last year so visited for our anniversary. Many of the staff remembered us and greeted us like old friends which was lovely. I would like to say a big thank you to the two guys working at the beach bar and the two guys and the girl with curly hair at the pool bar, (im sorry I can't remember your names because I have a rubbish memory) but you are an asset to the Blau and they should be happy to have such fantastic staff! We also attended the returning guests dinner which was a lovely touch. I have read many reviews complaining about the entertainment, to be fair, I have seen better however they reherse for hours to perfect the shows they present. (I saw the guys on stage early morning one day and on my return from the beach late afternoon, they were still there! so you certainly can't fault them for effort!) Also they have activities going on through out the day which you can take part in or not and they have the added bonus of winning bottles of Havana Club Rum! The entertainment team are very friendly and work very long hours. When I return on my next visit, I think I will take some music CD's for them to play as they do appear to be limited with the choice of songs so if your often by the pool this can be slightly repetitive. You are given the opportunity to complete a feedback form at some point during your stay giving your opinion and Jose the manager is always more than willing to listen to any suggestions you may have. We also visited Kiki's Club restaurant one evening in Varadero for a change of scenery which was great, they do fab pizzas and the cost is very cheap. I think the only thing I would suggest is that the rooms could probably do with a bit of TLC, however I do not go away to spend loads of time in the room and ours was perfectly fine with a fabulous view and was spotlessly clean, I did hear some people talk about this though so maybe this is something that could be addressed to make sure this hotel stays at the top of ratings. I am not usually a fan of the beach but this has to be one of the best i've ever seen you can walk for miles, its truly amazing! Other than the Blau, we have never visited the same hotel twice. It is excellent value for money and we can't wait to return!

8 Thank sazzuk
Dear sazzuk,
On behalf of all the staff and the Blau management I would like to thank you for choosing Blau Varadero hotel one more time to spend your holidays in Cuba.
Thank you very much for taking your time to share your experiences here. We are happy to see you had a great time in Blau and that you liked our resort.
Thank you for the room advice.
It will be a pleasure for us to welcome you back at Blau Varadero.
Warm regards.