“Fun for all”

Blau Marina Varadero Resort
Ranked #39 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Visited Blau Marina Varadero from January 24 to February 03 as a family with 2 children aged 9 and 5. Arrived to the hotel around 5am and got our rooms right away. We were told we were to have ocean view and we got two room facing the construction and street. After a few hours of sleep spoke with reception who told me there was nothing they could do for us so I spoke with my airline rep and she was very helpful in getting us moved into another block into two adjoining rooms that faced the ocean. The down side was that we had ants in our room and had to make sure that there was nothing sweet left out.
The beds were not the most comfortable but they worked for us. The room was kept clean although sometimes there were not enough towels or they were very small. i suggest you bring your own towels. The mini fridge was filled every morning with pop, water and beer.
The beach and water were beautiful and warm. The staff were attentive in getting us as many beach chairs as we required and there was always lots of room on the beach. Must say that we were not in the main area where the entertainment was but in the other part as it was closer to our room. The best part about the beach was that there was no one trying to sell you anything and there were no motorboats and we were able to snorkel far off the shore. The catamaran that we took off the beach to go snorkelling was great! The guide was amazing and as there was no wind he was ready to paddle all the way to the reef. He did not rush us and allowed us to take our time snorkelling. All the staff at the Blau Marina were very friendly and helpful. All of them spoke english very well. I read many reviews about the food in Cuba being bad but I had no complaints about the food at the Blau Marina. Every day we were able to find something we enjoyed. My children ate pasta and freshly grilled fish. Some of the food was a bit bland bit nothing a bit of salt and pepper could not fix. Our favourite were the omelettes and crepes in the morning and the fried bananas at supper.
The nightly entertainment was well organized and a lot of fun. Some shows could have been better set up (like the water ballet) but overall they were entertaining.
The resort itself was very beautiful. The swimming pools were great and not very packed. The negative about the resort is that it is very big and there is a lot of walking around so we stayed on the beach and in the pool closest to our block and all of the games and entertainment took place in pool 1. There was also no beach bar so you had to walk to get your drinks. The best bar was in the lobby and of course it was always packed.
Overall we had a great time at the resort and would be happy to go back there.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank fiskaalex
Paula G, Director General at Blau Marina Varadero Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for taking your time to send your comments regarding your stay in our hotel.
As you have mentioned we are working on the construction of a beach bar which will avoid our clients to go to the hotel’s bar, as you could notice each pool has a nearby bar.
We sincerely expect you to visit us again to enjoy our new beach bar.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

I'd like to spend this review highlighting my favourite parts of this resort. Overall it was great, it met all of my expectations and had no obvious flaws. In fact the only negative point I can make is that the cuban buffet dinner was reservation only, but they allowed all reservations to be made at the opening hour which kind of changed the nature of the dinners I was used to in the other restaurants (quiet, intimate and attentive).

We stayed here for 1 week during January 2014.

The lobby bar is an awesome place to chill. There were always people around and we always felt welcome and part of the fun. People watching with a cigar and a whiskey or rhum before bed was one of my favourite evening passtimes. When the service was slow at the bar it was because it was crunch time and the staff were working as fast as possible. It was never as slow as most popular bars here in Ottawa around the same evening time period and so I was very impressed with the bar staff. The drink selection was vast, and they were rarely lacking of a specific ingredient for a drink, if it was missing it would be replenished the next day.

The buffet was excellent with respect to food selection. Every meal offered fresh fried food. The eggs in the morning could be served fried (sunny side up or over) and the omelettes were also very tasty. The buffet selection reminded me of most all-you-can-eat buffets here, some items were better than others but none were awful and some were actually very impressive. The fried fruit for dessert was also a special treat. For lunch one of the best options was fresh cooked pizza from the light-house meal spot.

There was over 2km of beach which offered lots of variety. You could seat yourself with the crowds with close proximity to the lobby bar or you could venture out and find chairs that were quite isolated too. We were typically greeted by resort staff who would quickly help us by dragging chairs to the exact location of our choice and dusting the sand from them and placing our towels.

The convenience store offered everything you could need and had a great selection of cigars in their walk-in humidor. Snacks and extra beers and rhum for the room were in great supply. The store staff were friendly and helped us select cigars based on our preferences and took their time to be sure we were well served.

The 2 sit-down restaurants we reserved in were very impressive, the meals were delicious and the service was perfect. We ate at the spanish tapas and the sea-food restaurants, and I would be hard pressed to say one was better than the other.

The room had a very comfortable king bed and tons of space to unpack our luggage. There was a couch, table, and chair which we used to play some card games and to enjoy cigars. There were also chairs on our balcony which were very pleasant to sit in and enjoy the ocean view. The room was well cleaned and restocked with water and beers every day and the ice tray in the minibar worked perfectly for our in-room cuba libres.

My best suggestion to anyone is to consider the following alternative to visiting Havana. We did a tour but we did NOT book through the resort or the vacation package dealers. I booked our tour using services from Pototo http://pototocuba.com/Pototow/ The value for his service is incredible and the experience with him in Havana was outstanding. I highly recommend considering this option for visiting Havana, although you will likely want to plan this in advance of your trip. The 'adventure' of taking local transit to and from Havana was also a thrill compared to the controlled resort experience being extended to the trip to Havana.

Room Tip: The Ocean View room was beautiful, it had a great balcony and the sounds of the Ocean and breeze. I...
3  Thank Rolly2424
Paula G, Director General at Blau Marina Varadero Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2014

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for dropping such positive comments about your stay.
We are glad to know that your experience has met your expectations and we look forward to receive your visit again in the future.
with best regards

Reviewed February 5, 2014

Our first room was a little on the dated side just needed a face lift. Our second room was fine and we had no trouble changing rooms. Resort is listed as 4.5 to 5* I would rate it as 3.5*but again you are in Cuba and there rating systems differs from ours. The grounds were clean and staff were awesome always there to go the extra mile. Food, the presentation was wonderful and we always found something to eat and were quite satisfied never went hungry. We went on 2 tours that are well worth the money it lets you see Cuba and actually meet the local people.

Room Tip: Villas 21 - 24 are quiet with a pool right there.
2  Thank marcia h
Juan Miguel M, General Manager at Blau Marina Varadero Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments that help us to improve our service. We are counting on your presence in a near future.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

Its was an amazing vacation, with the most friendly, and hard working staff around. The Bellboys especially Carlos were always helpful, the Bar staff were exceptionally, especially Mikeal at the Disco and Raphael at the Pool Bar. We loved our wait staff in the Buffet. The resorts was making up dates everyday. The food was good to a point. The entertainment staff and the shows were great. We definitely going back. Bring your own Bubba cups and you will find the drinks at the bar better. Never went without a beach chair. Never went out with towels. Had a great experience.

Room Tip: There are 3 pools on the premises Main Pool is in the Block 12, if you have kids and want family tim...
4  Thank Shay I

Dear Guest,
Thank you for leaving such a positive comment regarding your stay. Our main objective is to get better everyday to offer our guests unforgettable vacations.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

I have been to Cuba 4 times and this was by far the worst place I've stayed at. So bad that I had to ask the tour representative to get me out of there. The first thing and I will admit the least important thing was room faced the construction site at the marina across the street and if that was the only thing I would have lived with that. The problem started with the line ups for the buffet, never experienced that before and if that wasn't bad enough once we got let in there were no plated so you had to wait for the dish washer to bring clean ones. Lines for fresh cook stations is normal but often the cooks had to stop to refresh there supplies, all other places I've stayed the would have some doing that job so the cooks could just continue. I found this very frustrating to have it be your turn and the cook says just and minute and leaves for five minutes. So once you've eaten and want to go to the beach or the pool to relax and lounge in the Cuban sun you had better have gotten up at 6am and put a towel on a lounge chair if not you will be sitting on the pool deck or the sand because there aren't enough for everyone. I am on vacation I shouldn't have to get out of bed early so reserve a chair. I usually don't talk about the Cuban food because I have said previously if your a foodie and want top quality food Cuba isn't the place for you, but I have to mention we arrive late at night and just wanted a little something to hold us over til morning. We went to 24hr snack bar for a hamburg and fries, the hamburger was served on a little dinner roll about 1/4 the size of the meat. To me things like that are saying to me we don't care. We went to Varadero the next day and the whole time I'm thinking I can't do a week of this. I've spend good money to stay here and deserve better service. When we returned I asked the tour operator if we could go to another hotel that I had been to before. She made a phone call and at my expense we were able to go to another resort. So if your researching for a visit to Cuba I say do NOT go here there are so many other much better options. All the things I have mentioned are fixable but to me because the resort is not brand new in a country that depends on tourism for survival the situation at this resort is because they just don't care. I will never go back there and will make sure warn anyone I know travelling to Cuba not to waste there money on this place.

6  Thank John F

Dear Guest,
We are really sorry you had such negative experience in our hotel. It is true that during the “rush” hours and our hotel at full capacity it may be times in which there are people lining to get into the restaurant but we have worked to improve this service and it is no longer an issue.
Our hotel counts with 3 swimming pools completely equipped with launch chair and umbrellas and we have not have any complaint regarding this issue up to now, neither on the beach area. May be if we would have had the chance to contact with you during your stay we could have done something to improve it.
In any case, we kindly ask you to apologize us and we thank you for your comments that we take very seriously so we will not have them again.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

Having just returned from 2 weeks at this resort January 18th to February 1st thought I would share while things are still fresh in my mind. First point is that you cannot compare a resort in Cuba to one in Mexico. The standards are different and many things that people seem to be complaining about are unrealistic. My opinion is that after 2 weeks in any all inclusive resort, things will start to appear less appetizing and in this case this was magnified the second week as the resort became very busy and they simply ran out of things.
A few recommendations before I review. The glasses in the bars are really little, much smaller than Mexican all inclusives. I would recommend bringing drink containers even if water is your beverage of choice. There is no peanut butter available, if you are a peanut butter lover, bring it from home. The store at the resort offers Nutella, and a few chocolate type spreads. There are not a lot of snack food options. The desserts, breads etc are great, however if you are looking for between meal munchies it is a challenge. There are no nachos etc, and the chips in the store are an acquired taste. There were Pringles available for purchase at 4.40 CUC’S however they quickly ran out. If you require a face cloth, bring it from home. If bath towels are something that you have to have, bring them from home. This is not poor service, this is a resort doing the best they can with limited resources. We received fresh towels daily, but there were days that we might only get hand towels and no bath towels.
Beach is amazing. Although the resort is on the beach, the beach is still a public area. I read many complaints of rocks and seaweed but I really wonder where those complaints came from. The staff is quick to provide you with a lounger and we never had a problem finding a spot on the beach. There was no bar outside at the beach, it looked like one was being but during our time you had to go into the resort to the bar by the theater.
Pools- The main pool is clean, shallow, quite cold and not overly loud. Again there is one small swim up bar, that has limited access from outside the pool, so if you are planning on enjoying a few beverages you will have to be in the pool. It was really warm while we were there, so this was not a challenge as you really wanted to be in the pool.
Food. I am not a fussy eater, and feel that I have realistic expectations. I did not have a lot of challenges finding something to eat week 1, but week 2 was a lot busier and they ran out of quite a few things. Breakfast is available in the main restaurant and along with the buffet there is a crepe and a couple of omelet stations. The service at these stations was wonderful, tasty and entertaining. Lunch is offered at the 2 snack areas by the pools and at the main buffet you can always find something to make a sandwich with or enjoy a salad if you are a fussy eater. Dinner in the Buffet offered a lot of choices along with the Pasta station if you were having challenges. After 2 weeks everything started to taste the same but that would happen anywhere. We tried the Seafood, Italian and Cuban a la carte restaurants. The Italian was good a nice change from the buffets. The seafood was disappointing, not a lot of choices and aside from overcooked prawns, there was any shellfish offered. The Cuban is a buffet but the food was tasty, there was entertainment and a little different from the regular buffet offerings.
Service. This is a real hit and miss and very different from what we have experienced in other countries. The restaurant staff is great, look for Wilma in the main restaurant and if you are lucky you will be treated to one of her hugs. Another always smiling face belonged to Damary. We did not encounter any unpleasant staff in any of the restaurants and they were always helpful and smiling. The bar staff in the pool bar and beach bar were always pleasant and in the lobby bar it was more of a hit or miss, but if Alfredo is working the lobby bar you will get friendly service. The housekeeping/cleaning staff were helpful and attentive and always stopped to say hello. The same will be said with the maintenance staff and the gardeners. The reception staff was hit and miss the check in and checkout staff were very pleasant, however some of the staff that exchanges money were very unpleasant. The biggest difference between this resort and other resorts that I have frequented were the activity staff. With the exception of one or two that were always smiling and pleasant the majority didn’t give you the time of day. I had never encountered that before, as usually they are the ones that are continually trying to engage and add to the resort’s experience.
We had no issue with insects in the room, we were in Block 10 overlooking the ocean and had a beautiful view, a very clean and relatively comfortable room and aside from the odd noise of someone slamming their door it was very quiet.

Room Tip: There is quite a bit of construction going on so I would request an ocean view or pool view room
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank mekathy

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to drop your comments regarding your stay in our hotel.
As you have commented we are working on the construction of a beach bar which will avoid our clients to go to the hotel’s bar, as you could notice each pool has a nearby bar.
We are grateful for your comments regarding the kindness of our staff who works hard to offer our clients the best of their experiences, we take note of your comments regarding the entertainment team who did not cover your expectations and we will try to work harder to improve this service.
We would love to count on your visit in a near future.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

Just got home from a sun and sand filled vacation at the Blau Marina. Rated as a 5 star resort but more like a 3.5 star resort. Nice clean hotel but needs some updating such as new mattresses, water heating system (had no hot water for two days even though we inquired twice with the front desk - they did try to fix it but couldn't keep up) and paint job. Bedding is not the best so suggest taking your own sheets if you are concerned about stains, and your own pillow as there are not the most comfortable. Our housekeeper Evelyn was very friendly and did a great job of keeping our room clean and supplies stocked. The blocks along the beach are recommended as they are currently doing construction across the road from block 14 area and they tend to work through the night. It's true the food is not the best in Cuba but you can usually find something to eat on the buffet. We took our own peanut butter, jam, hot sauce and ketchup as they don't provide these condiments at the buffet. Recommend booking a la carte as soon as you arrive to the resort as the reservations fill up very quickly. If you enjoy action and socializing the lobby bar is the best place to sit, we got excellent service from Udelmis and Yasmily (such great ladies). The lobby bar has the best cappuccinos and Udelmis makes the best Blau Marina Varadero cocktail. Most of the staff are very friendly and gracious. We learned from our private guide to Havana, that most of the staff that work in the resort have to be certified to work on the resorts, and are university educated due to the free education system in Cuba, however they get paid only 15 pesos per month for their salary. Tips are extra income for them and their family, keep in mind they are paying taxes on their salary and tips. Highly recommend tipping for the service you receive (you can use Canadian currency if you like). We realized it was a good idea to leave behind left over shampoo, soap, toothpaste, condiments, clothing and so forth, but didn't realize just how much they appreciate this until talking to the staff. Taking candy and chocolate bars from Canada are a great idea because the staff and their children don't get the opportunity to experience such treats unless we provide it for them. Overall we had a great trip to Varadero and the Blau Marina, we enjoyed the people, the beautiful beach and ocean and will return again in the future.

2  Thank JMwelltravelled

Dear Guest,
We are sorry to say we had an unforeseen issue with hot water that even when it was solved as soon as possible it affected some of our guests somehow, we apologize for that.
We are improving the beauty of our facilities everyday, painting is one the steps to follow, we are also following a program to replace bedding and mattresses.
We thank you for all the very good comments and advise you have given to our readers, as well as the nice comments about our staff who take their work very seriously in order to offer our visitor the best service and experience.
looking forward to see you in the future.

With Best Regards