“HAD A GREAT TIME”

Ranked #37 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Newcastle, Canada
“HAD A GREAT TIME”
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Our first room was a little on the dated side just needed a face lift. Our second room was fine and we had no trouble changing rooms. Resort is listed as 4.5 to 5* I would rate it as 3.5*but again you are in Cuba and there rating systems differs from ours. The grounds were clean and staff were awesome always there to go the extra mile. Food, the presentation was wonderful and we always found something to eat and were quite satisfied never went hungry. We went on 2 tours that are well worth the money it lets you see Cuba and actually meet the local people.

Room Tip: Villas 21 - 24 are quiet with a pool right there.
2 Thank marcia h
Juan Miguel M, General Manager at Blau Marina Varadero Resort, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments that help us to improve our service. We are counting on your presence in a near future.

Paula Gili

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (696)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Chatham, Canada
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Its was an amazing vacation, with the most friendly, and hard working staff around. The Bellboys especially Carlos were always helpful, the Bar staff were exceptionally, especially Mikeal at the Disco and Raphael at the Pool Bar. We loved our wait staff in the Buffet. The resorts was making up dates everyday. The food was good to a point. The entertainment staff and the shows were great. We definitely going back. Bring your own Bubba cups and you will find the drinks at the bar better. Never went without a beach chair. Never went out with towels. Had a great experience.

Room Tip: There are 3 pools on the premises Main Pool is in the Block 12, if you have kids and want family tim...
4 Thank Shay I
Dear Guest,
Thank you for leaving such a positive comment regarding your stay. Our main objective is to get better everyday to offer our guests unforgettable vacations.

Orleans, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I have been to Cuba 4 times and this was by far the worst place I've stayed at. So bad that I had to ask the tour representative to get me out of there. The first thing and I will admit the least important thing was room faced the construction site at the marina across the street and if that was the only thing I would have lived with that. The problem started with the line ups for the buffet, never experienced that before and if that wasn't bad enough once we got let in there were no plated so you had to wait for the dish washer to bring clean ones. Lines for fresh cook stations is normal but often the cooks had to stop to refresh there supplies, all other places I've stayed the would have some doing that job so the cooks could just continue. I found this very frustrating to have it be your turn and the cook says just and minute and leaves for five minutes. So once you've eaten and want to go to the beach or the pool to relax and lounge in the Cuban sun you had better have gotten up at 6am and put a towel on a lounge chair if not you will be sitting on the pool deck or the sand because there aren't enough for everyone. I am on vacation I shouldn't have to get out of bed early so reserve a chair. I usually don't talk about the Cuban food because I have said previously if your a foodie and want top quality food Cuba isn't the place for you, but I have to mention we arrive late at night and just wanted a little something to hold us over til morning. We went to 24hr snack bar for a hamburg and fries, the hamburger was served on a little dinner roll about 1/4 the size of the meat. To me things like that are saying to me we don't care. We went to Varadero the next day and the whole time I'm thinking I can't do a week of this. I've spend good money to stay here and deserve better service. When we returned I asked the tour operator if we could go to another hotel that I had been to before. She made a phone call and at my expense we were able to go to another resort. So if your researching for a visit to Cuba I say do NOT go here there are so many other much better options. All the things I have mentioned are fixable but to me because the resort is not brand new in a country that depends on tourism for survival the situation at this resort is because they just don't care. I will never go back there and will make sure warn anyone I know travelling to Cuba not to waste there money on this place.

6 Thank John F
Dear Guest,
We are really sorry you had such negative experience in our hotel. It is true that during the “rush” hours and our hotel at full capacity it may be times in which there are people lining to get into the restaurant but we have worked to improve this service and it is no longer an issue.
Our hotel counts with 3 swimming pools completely equipped with launch chair and umbrellas and we have not have any complaint regarding this issue up to now, neither on the beach area. May be if we would have had the chance to contact with you during your stay we could have done something to improve it.
In any case, we kindly ask you to apologize us and we thank you for your comments that we take very seriously so we will not have them again.

Paula Gili

Travelers are raving about these Varadero hotels

West Kelowna , B.C. Canada
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Having just returned from 2 weeks at this resort January 18th to February 1st thought I would share while things are still fresh in my mind. First point is that you cannot compare a resort in Cuba to one in Mexico. The standards are different and many things that people seem to be complaining about are unrealistic. My opinion is that after 2 weeks in any all inclusive resort, things will start to appear less appetizing and in this case this was magnified the second week as the resort became very busy and they simply ran out of things.
A few recommendations before I review. The glasses in the bars are really little, much smaller than Mexican all inclusives. I would recommend bringing drink containers even if water is your beverage of choice. There is no peanut butter available, if you are a peanut butter lover, bring it from home. The store at the resort offers Nutella, and a few chocolate type spreads. There are not a lot of snack food options. The desserts, breads etc are great, however if you are looking for between meal munchies it is a challenge. There are no nachos etc, and the chips in the store are an acquired taste. There were Pringles available for purchase at 4.40 CUC’S however they quickly ran out. If you require a face cloth, bring it from home. If bath towels are something that you have to have, bring them from home. This is not poor service, this is a resort doing the best they can with limited resources. We received fresh towels daily, but there were days that we might only get hand towels and no bath towels.
Beach is amazing. Although the resort is on the beach, the beach is still a public area. I read many complaints of rocks and seaweed but I really wonder where those complaints came from. The staff is quick to provide you with a lounger and we never had a problem finding a spot on the beach. There was no bar outside at the beach, it looked like one was being but during our time you had to go into the resort to the bar by the theater.
Pools- The main pool is clean, shallow, quite cold and not overly loud. Again there is one small swim up bar, that has limited access from outside the pool, so if you are planning on enjoying a few beverages you will have to be in the pool. It was really warm while we were there, so this was not a challenge as you really wanted to be in the pool.
Food. I am not a fussy eater, and feel that I have realistic expectations. I did not have a lot of challenges finding something to eat week 1, but week 2 was a lot busier and they ran out of quite a few things. Breakfast is available in the main restaurant and along with the buffet there is a crepe and a couple of omelet stations. The service at these stations was wonderful, tasty and entertaining. Lunch is offered at the 2 snack areas by the pools and at the main buffet you can always find something to make a sandwich with or enjoy a salad if you are a fussy eater. Dinner in the Buffet offered a lot of choices along with the Pasta station if you were having challenges. After 2 weeks everything started to taste the same but that would happen anywhere. We tried the Seafood, Italian and Cuban a la carte restaurants. The Italian was good a nice change from the buffets. The seafood was disappointing, not a lot of choices and aside from overcooked prawns, there was any shellfish offered. The Cuban is a buffet but the food was tasty, there was entertainment and a little different from the regular buffet offerings.
Service. This is a real hit and miss and very different from what we have experienced in other countries. The restaurant staff is great, look for Wilma in the main restaurant and if you are lucky you will be treated to one of her hugs. Another always smiling face belonged to Damary. We did not encounter any unpleasant staff in any of the restaurants and they were always helpful and smiling. The bar staff in the pool bar and beach bar were always pleasant and in the lobby bar it was more of a hit or miss, but if Alfredo is working the lobby bar you will get friendly service. The housekeeping/cleaning staff were helpful and attentive and always stopped to say hello. The same will be said with the maintenance staff and the gardeners. The reception staff was hit and miss the check in and checkout staff were very pleasant, however some of the staff that exchanges money were very unpleasant. The biggest difference between this resort and other resorts that I have frequented were the activity staff. With the exception of one or two that were always smiling and pleasant the majority didn’t give you the time of day. I had never encountered that before, as usually they are the ones that are continually trying to engage and add to the resort’s experience.
We had no issue with insects in the room, we were in Block 10 overlooking the ocean and had a beautiful view, a very clean and relatively comfortable room and aside from the odd noise of someone slamming their door it was very quiet.

Room Tip: There is quite a bit of construction going on so I would request an ocean view or pool view room
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank mekathy
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to drop your comments regarding your stay in our hotel.
As you have commented we are working on the construction of a beach bar which will avoid our clients to go to the hotel’s bar, as you could notice each pool has a nearby bar.
We are grateful for your comments regarding the kindness of our staff who works hard to offer our clients the best of their experiences, we take note of your comments regarding the entertainment team who did not cover your expectations and we will try to work harder to improve this service.
We would love to count on your visit in a near future.

Regina, Canada
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Just got home from a sun and sand filled vacation at the Blau Marina. Rated as a 5 star resort but more like a 3.5 star resort. Nice clean hotel but needs some updating such as new mattresses, water heating system (had no hot water for two days even though we inquired twice with the front desk - they did try to fix it but couldn't keep up) and paint job. Bedding is not the best so suggest taking your own sheets if you are concerned about stains, and your own pillow as there are not the most comfortable. Our housekeeper Evelyn was very friendly and did a great job of keeping our room clean and supplies stocked. The blocks along the beach are recommended as they are currently doing construction across the road from block 14 area and they tend to work through the night. It's true the food is not the best in Cuba but you can usually find something to eat on the buffet. We took our own peanut butter, jam, hot sauce and ketchup as they don't provide these condiments at the buffet. Recommend booking a la carte as soon as you arrive to the resort as the reservations fill up very quickly. If you enjoy action and socializing the lobby bar is the best place to sit, we got excellent service from Udelmis and Yasmily (such great ladies). The lobby bar has the best cappuccinos and Udelmis makes the best Blau Marina Varadero cocktail. Most of the staff are very friendly and gracious. We learned from our private guide to Havana, that most of the staff that work in the resort have to be certified to work on the resorts, and are university educated due to the free education system in Cuba, however they get paid only 15 pesos per month for their salary. Tips are extra income for them and their family, keep in mind they are paying taxes on their salary and tips. Highly recommend tipping for the service you receive (you can use Canadian currency if you like). We realized it was a good idea to leave behind left over shampoo, soap, toothpaste, condiments, clothing and so forth, but didn't realize just how much they appreciate this until talking to the staff. Taking candy and chocolate bars from Canada are a great idea because the staff and their children don't get the opportunity to experience such treats unless we provide it for them. Overall we had a great trip to Varadero and the Blau Marina, we enjoyed the people, the beautiful beach and ocean and will return again in the future.

2 Thank JMwelltravelled
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking your time to send your comments regarding your stay in our hotel.
We are sorry to say we had an unforeseen issue with hot water that even when it was solved as soon as possible it affected some of our guests somehow, we apologize for that.
We are improving the beauty of our facilities everyday, painting is one the steps to follow, we are also following a program to replace bedding and mattresses.
We thank you for all the very good comments and advise you have given to our readers, as well as the nice comments about our staff who take their work very seriously in order to offer our visitor the best service and experience.
looking forward to see you in the future.

With Best Regards
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed February 4, 2014

First time in Cuba, my exceptions were low and my mind was open for anything. We're originally from Ottawa, one friend was from Kanata which was technically from Ottawa but lots of people in the resort beg to differ. So we decided to fly from Montreal instead of Ottawa to save about $200-300 each ticket ( great idea btw).

++++++ IM GOING TO REVIEW THIS TRIP THE WAY I SAW IT +++++

So when we arrived to Cuba varadero international airport, we quickly asked which bus to go and got in. Our tour guide (a representative from Blau Marina) was speaking french the whole time although people in the ( almost half the bus) spoke only English, the representative couldn't speak English, so some of us sat for a 45min bus ride to our resort starring at the french-only speaking tour guide lol.

As soon as we arrived to the resort we checked in quickly, no hassle, no problem. She gave us in block 11 which was like the downtown area of the resort, everything was so close with great views!

My room had a screen to keep the insects away, bed was comfy ( king size bed/single occupancy), A/C was amazing cold (adjustable too), it also had a ceiling fan, washroom had a bathtub with adjustable shower head, i found the water took a while to get hot enough to take a shower (didn't really matter to me).

I didnt stay much at the pool because i came for the beech, but i found every pool had a bar which was nice.

The beech was amazingly clean and crystal clear but was a bit hard to find a seat, i didn't mind to do some hunting.

The food was OK in some occasions but the pasta and steak stations and omelets stations were great! I found out that if something ran out at the buffet they wouldnt restock. For example ( if the cheese to put in the omelet ran out in the first 30min of the breakfast they would not restock even though there's about 2.5hours left of the breakfast). Some food at the buffet were cold when they bring it from the kitchen which i found was weird.

I found out that the food sanitation was a bit of an issue, they would go on breaks and touch certain areas, I also snuck into the back to see how sanitize the environment was, and i was disappointed. They leave the meats out for to long. They don't wash their hands much.

In my opinion i found out the workers/cooks/ were being to conservative with many things, as if its coming from their pockets.

I also found out that the servers/bartenders would be under staffed, which i saw their frustration and and anxiety.

The resort management was not efficient, short staffed, and I also caught the front desk lady ignoring calls by doing her nails at night. The Blau Marina Management, should consider a strategic way to satisfy their customers because they should know that its not the only "5 star" resort in Cuba. They should also hire more english speaking employees since the international language is English. Every guest spoke english to one another, but speaking with some employees you goto be good at charades and hand signals. I also found the employee unorganized. The employees must realize what a tip is for, its for "prompt service" and not for doing your job. I work in the service industry for more than 8 years, i know when to tip or not. I found that you needed to tip for the waiters to clear your table although its their job to do that, but IF they came and checked on you frequently then that's when a tip is an order, but i still tipped them a lot anyways which i think they took advantage of that, sadly.

The washrooms ran out of paper towels in the first few days so the rest of the time you either dry your hands on your clothes or use toilet paper.

The excursions were bit pricey in my opinion and were negotiable. They offered me 130 CUC to go for a trip to havana but i spoke to one girl at the buffet and she told me she went for 60 CUC, big price difference.

Things you should bring with you to Cuba:

Mosquito repellent, after bite, (although they fumigate the resort), hot sauce, ketchup, mayo, sunglasses, tums, peptobizmol, tynonal/advil, lighters, soap and shampoo, chips to snack after drinking and chilling at the pool.

All in All, its a great resort, friendly guests, friendly cooks/bartenders/waiters (because they get tipped), food was ok but its heaven if you goto a resturant on 13ave/3rd ave and try the bbq on the grill, they'll bring youa mini bbq with your food lighted by charcoal (Amazing!!)

DONT BUY CIGARS FROM THE LIFEGUARDS AT THE RESORT, buy it from the official stores in downtown which is a 10-15 CUC taxi ride.

Room Tip: Bring $500 to go for excrusions, night clubs, buy gifts and cigars, to eat out in downtown, etc. Sta...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Nas A
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Arrived at the resort at around 6pm local time on Jan. 25th after an entertaining bus ride from the airport. The guide to our resort (Yuniel) was well-suited for the trip and made it fun. Cristal beer was available on our bus for all at a cost of 2.5 pesos.

PROS

Beach - White, granular sand, very few rocks and seashells. Not a lot of seaweed either. If you plan to be on the beach for the day, make sure to get up early to get a recliner. There's a lot around, but they get reserved quickly.

Our Room - We were in Block 11, room 1122 and the view was great. We overlooked the ocean, and had a comfortable breeze every day and night. We had an unwelcome visitor in the form of a cockroach in the bathroom, but that was the only critter we saw. Our tv worked fine, so did our air conditioning, lights and fan. If your A/C doesn't work, it's best to inform the front desk immediately - another couple we met waited a couple days and it wasn't repaired for the duration of their stay.

Excursions - We went on the catamaran and to Havana and they were both enjoyable. Bring LOTS of sunscreen for the catamaran. The crew of the catamaran were fantastic. Jumping with energy and they engaged everyone - myself a few other guys were recruited to help with some minor seaman duties (helping raise and lower the sails). Interacting with the dolphins was a lot of fun, and lunch at Cayo Blanco was really good.
Havana is a must-see for anyone interested in history or willing to experience a different culture. Our tour guide was an encyclopedia of information and did his best to accommodate everything for the day. We weren't able to see the fortress and our walking tour was cut short in the afternoon, but the guide was excellent.

The Pool - Atmosphere was good and there's a bar in the pool so you can drink without leaving the water. There's two basketball nets and a volleyball net as well so there's lots to do. There's also a waterslide for kids and adults alike. A good idea to get a recliner early for the day, otherwise you won't get one.

CONS

The Food - Not very good at all. Almost everything was bland, and the selection was very limited. This can be expected since it's Cuba, but most of the food at the buffet was sub-par. The rice was undercooked often, the cuts of meat weren't great. Some of the selections had no description or identification. If you're allergic to any kind of seafood, it's probably not a good idea to go to the buffet as some of the "unidentified" food had seafood in it. Overall, most of the food was poorly prepared. The food station staff were very friendly, however.
We ate at the Lighthouse and Italian restaurant on-site. The food at the Lighthouse wasn't very good. The salad bar was better than our entrees and the set-up of the restaurant wasn't comfortable. We were eaten alive by mosquitoes as the place is fenced off, but still open to the outside. The antipasto bar at the Italian restaurant was good, but the entree portions were small. The beer was flat as well. We didn't eat at the Cuban restaurant next to the pool, but it isn't closed off and we saw flies and birds all over the buffet-style stations.

Inconsistent Service - The service overall was decent, but wasn't consistently good. Had to go to the bar at Hemingway pub often to get drinks when wait staff is supposed to take orders. Some of the wait staff at the buffet were quick and some took their time. One of the waiters walked past our table several times without replacing our cutlery or taking our drink orders to socialize with guests at another table. The best bar was the one next to the theatre - Hemingway gets VERY busy and it takes a long time to get a drink at times. Six of us took recliners from the beach to the pool since there weren't any available and three of the beach staff grinned at us as we walked by, rather than offer to help.

Overcrowded common area - The lobby area is quite large, but is VERY loud and can become overcrowded. We noticed guests sleeping on couches and chairs more than once and staff did not ask them to leave. These "fatigued" guests took up three couches and two chairs, with limited space to sit and socialize.

Unavailability of things - We went to the front desk several times to exchange Canadian dollars for convertible pesos and were turned away due to unavailability of pesos for a couple days. This can be problematic, especially if currency is needed because of an excursion. While not a major inconvenience, clean towels were unavailable on one of the days we were there until late in the afternoon.

Overall, the trip was fun as we went with friends of ours and the weather was excellent. We fully realize(d) that going to Cuba meant that our experience could be unpredictable and kept this in mind as best possible. Havana was a cultural experience for sure, but the constant peddling and solicitation became intolerable. Less than an hour into our walking tour, we'd been approached by three different citizens for us to pay for pictures taken, sketches drawn or for songs sung to us. None of the peddlers were threatening or impolite, but we missed out on some portions of the tour in order to fend them off.

I would take a "half star" away and consider Blau Marina a "four-star resort". It was clean, the staff were friendly and the location was nice, but the food was poor and some of the staff were nonchalant and lethargic. We weren't dissatisfied with our stay, but we will very likely seek another resort if we decide to return to Cuba.

Room Tip: Our corner room was in a good location - ample breeze, great view and virtually no mosquitoes.
5 Thank Mark R