“Amazing for Quiet get away!”

Blau Marina Varadero Resort
Ranked #37 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Kitchener, Canada
“Amazing for Quiet get away!”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This hotel is beautiful, clean, large and quiet!
If you are looking for a quiet get away then this place is for you! There is no partying or disco.
There is however some construction occurring across the street so be aware there may be some noise from this. Just ask to be on the opposite side.
Food and drink was great.
There is the double Decker bus that takes you to and from Varadero for $5 cuc unlimited rides!
There is no beach bar be advised. Quiet family or retired individuals perfect place to go!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank trishbaby100

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (691)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Truly paradise, we were sent here after our original hotel was fully booked, at first we were dreading where we were heading, after a long trip and transfer, we found paradise, the welcome was just lovely, champagne, and bright cheery staff who could not do enough. the apartment was nice, everything you needed, well stocked fridge, and the staff were amazing, we were upgraded due to the change, but all in all we could not fault the place, the restaurants were nice, some were closed as it was low season, dependant on your taste I can't rate the restaurants, personally I enjoyed most, with just one that lacked something for me. your a bus ride away from the main town Veradero which is nice enought for a mooch about and a pop to the bank, everything you need is at the hotel, the beaches were lovely, the pools nice. for a romantic break, or chilled holiday this is the place, if you want madness, disco's and crazy nights, then look elsewhere. I can't say a bad word about this place. A true gem in a gorgeous country. Highly recommended

Room Tip: ask for a sea view, although they all have nice views of the bay or marina. you can't fault any...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank D M
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed May 20, 2013

This was my 2nd time in Varadero Cuba and I knew a little bit what to expect since I had been 2 years ago.
The hotel that we chose this time was the Blau Marina Varadero.
This hotel is for the moment the last one in the peninsula, it has a main site in which all the main amenities are located : buffet, Theatre, Reception counter, Lobby Bar, beach/theatre bar, clinic, sports bar, store, telephone/internet center. The hotel rooms are located on each side of the hotel in blocks of about 20-50 rooms.
The hotel looks nice but your experience will be extremely different depending on which block you are staying. When we arrived at 1am we were given a room in Block 10… the worst block possible. It is far from the main building, for some reason the rooms don’t smell good and are not taken care. There’s construction in front of this hotel and they work until very late so from that section of hotel you can hear the noise and it’s not a very nice view unless you pay 25$ per night per person for an ocean view, but it’s truly not worthy as they rooms are not take care of.

Once I complained about my room and named everything that was wrong we were given a room in Block 12 which was 80% better! The location is great, right next to the main building, the beach and the pool #1. The rooms have everything you need, and are comfortable… again keep in mind that you are in Cuba so set your expectations. The only thing that I truly didn’t like was the shower curtain…people at the hotel seem to blame everything on the humidity but let me tell you this curtain did not have a bad smell because of the humidity … it smelled almost like ... something really really bad. I never let the curtain touch my body, as a matter of fact I would always push it to the corner and yes I would wet the whole bathroom floor but I preferred that than using that curtain.
We had a few issues with the towels, it seemed like it took all day to get fresh ones.

As per the food, nothing extraordinary. We brought Nutella, peanut butter and that helped us a lot in the morning. As per lunch and dinner I found that they knew how to prepare the pork better than the chicken and other meats. What you need to do is find something that you really like or tolerate and stick to that the whole week, let’s face it we don’t go to Cuba for the culinary experience but for the beautiful beaches, the warm weather, the drinks and the fun times!
The Snack bar near Pool number 1 was my favorite place to go, the selection is smaller but the food is better and they can cook hamburgers, hot-dogs if you don’t find something that you like. Make sure that you ask them to cook the meat longer than what they say… I found my patties pink in a few occasions.

Now the fun stuff! This hotel has a lot of beach chairs so even if you don’t wake up too early because you partied to late at the club (!) you can still manage to find somewhere to sit. The guys that help you at the beach along with the life guards are great and they will help you find a spot.

The beach is beautiful and I don’t have much to say about it besides the fact that …it’s awesome. When I went it was a bit windy but that’s unfortunately something that no one can change.

One of the things that I truly liked about this hotel was the Animation Crew, all the guys and ladies are great and they make your stay fun. There was never a dull moment with the amount of different activities that you can take part in. Yes, every day is almost the same schedule but what you can choose to vary what you will do on different days, for example day I would only do the beach activities, on the other only the pool activities etc. You make your own schedule less the stress!

The evening shows were good, some better than others but what matters is that they keep you entertained! The Magic Show is very good and the night with the International Theme is great, the dancers are very talented.

This hotel was its own club which is very convenient since you don’t have to take a taxi to get you to one, and pay for your drinks. The music is repetitive but it’s good, we had a great time dancing there.

The internet hadn’t been working for the past month which was very inconvenient since I then had to make a phone call which costs 2.10$ pesos per minute! I only learned this once I got back but apparently you can use your cell phone to text and it can costs from 0.60$ to 1.50$ depending on your cell phone carrier. Don’t take my word for it and contact your cell phone company before you go to know what procedures to follow ( how to remove data etc) and the cost.

Items that I personally think you should bring:
-Sun screen (lots and lots of it, 1 bottle per person is perhaps not enough. The sunscreen at the hotel shop is very expensive (24$ pesos) so try to bring as much as you can.
-Aloe Vera spray or gel for after the sun, trust me this will make your nights better if you happen to burn.
-Big plastic glasses, you won't have to go back to the bar as often
-Nutella or peanut butter
-Ketchup, mustard ( some people are really picky about their Ketchup or Mustard and the ones that they have there are very different from what we are used to) and if you like hot sause bring your own bottle because it's hard to get
-Medication in case of stomach problems, dehydration, colds (going from the heat to a cold room can give people a cold, it happened to us )
-Mosquito spray ( lots of it too)
-Hat
-Cotton Pjs ... I burnt my skin and had to apply aloe vera, sleeping in cotton pjs made it much better.
-If you are planning on going to Havana bring good walking shoes, leave the sandals for the resort.

If you go to the Havana be prepared to be asked for stuff by the locals, we brought little soaps, candies etc small things that you can carry in your purse. Make sure you also bring water, toilet paper, a snack ( bring a ziplock bag and take snacks from the buffet at your resort), sun screen and money. You will most likely be going to different stores, bring cash and don't use your credit card. They charge a extra % for using a credit card.

I would go back to this hotel because I had a lot of fun regardless of all the small stuff. Just be prepared for dealing with issues that you wouldn't normally have to deal with, just know that you are on vacation and enjoy!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank partytime13
Belgrade, Serbia
Reviewed May 18, 2013

During his stay in Cayo libertad I used all the services Blau Marine. This hotel is considerably noisier, more crowded but has a great bar and a lobby. The main restaurant is good and offers a lot of different types of food. Typical restaurants (Italian, Spanish and Mexican) are real disaster, one would have to seriously deal with it. There is internet, but during the 11-day stay we could not buy internet cards because the hotel is not obtained them. Wi Fi does not exist. Why? nobody knows. So you mast use their computers to the Internet. the beach is great.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nemanja D
montreal
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Just came back from a FANTASTIC vacation at the Blau Marina Varadero . I have been going there for so many years , and noticed the big improvement this year . I was very happily surprised !i was also impressed to see how they welcomed us remembering us ! Dayris at the reception area right away acknowledged the fact that we were repeat guests . The general manager Mr. Mari as well as the Food and Beverage manager Mr. Garì were in circulation constantly to assure everything was perfect and is going as we wish . The food in the restaurants , a la carte or the buffet was very good and varied ,. choices of fish, shrimps ,rabbit , veal , pork , chicken or beef daily , grilled or baked , choices of vegetables , rices , pasta , pizza , so much choice and above all very good quality and tasted great ! I loved the a la carte restaurants , the italian , fish and the spanish , with it's new formula tapas ... Very good idea ! The entertainment , on the beach , at the pool or in the evening was great . The animation team has fun and they transmit that fun to the guests ! With their boss Pedro Luis , they form a fantastic team . They are very friendly and warm , they do not give you the time to get bored ! There was constantly guards on the beach , Hector and Dovalnis keeping an eye open and helping with the chairs and towels . I also appreciated very much the hard work of the team cleaning the rooms , the public areas . We were very well taken care care by Kenia and Nancy at the public relations as well as Fredy , who is the wedding planner . even him was present to help us . To all the people who never went , go and try it out ! as for the ones who went once only , try it another time , you will see the big improvement . One thing for sure , i am going back there ! Thanks to everyone who made our vacation very nice . I am inserting some pictures with the names of the team , with their permission obviously . I could go on and on about praising every person but to be honest and fair, every employee i met was very nice .

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank dsghali
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Will never go there again. Got sick 4 days because of the food...food was awful drinks sucks no ice they were bug in are beds this resorts needs a lot off improvement!!! Had the same food for 7 days no beach bar the resort is way to big Miskitos at night were crazy..bed bugs everywhere this is the worst resort I ever went to

• Stayed April 2013
6 Thank Lisacor89

Travelers are raving about these Varadero hotels

Reviewed May 15, 2013

This hotel is the last on the strip. Our purpose of traveling to Veradero was to be able to go into town often and experience the many things Cuba has to offer. Being the last hotel on the strip makes it a $25.00 cab ride in an old car or $20.00 in a taxi. Very expensive for Cuba. You can take the double decker bus into town for $5.00 round trip but it makes it a long trip because it stops at every hotel along the way. It takes about 45 minutes to get to the first market on the bus in Veradero. Our stay was memorable because of the fellow Canadians at the resort rather then the actual stay.
There was no credit cards accepted at the resort, no internet access even though they state they accept credit and have internet for a fee. the food was okay. The buffet was very small compared to other resorts and it was all the same. A La Cartes were good though. spanish was my favorite.
Our room was ocean front and a beautiful view of the beach and ocean. Nice and close.
We never had great luck with our room. Bed was hard, but they all are in Cuba. The phone never worked except one day and that was after several complaints, so our wake up calls were done by an employee knocking on our door, our pillows were airplane quality (flat and small) it took 4 days of complaining before they sent us new ones, the air conditioning never worked the first 3 days there, and we had lots of ants, but that comes with Cuba.
The Mosquitos were very bad even though we had bug spray. My husband had a bad reaction to some of his bites, developed an infection and needed immediate medical attention - even though we have international coverage we had to pay for all medical services up front and in cash! No credit cards accepted.
I would never recommend this resort to anyone unless your intention is to sit by the beach or pool.

• Stayed May 2013