“Excellent resort with wonderful staff”

Blau Marina Varadero Resort
Ranked #41 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed April 27, 2013

My husband and I spent a wonderful week at the Blau Marina Varadero from April 2-9th, 2013. Overall, we enjoyed the resort with its friendly staff, excellent food and coffee and beautiful beach. We would return in a heartbeat!
Check-in: Our check-in at 4pm was made chaotic by 3 couples complaining at the front desk about their rooms not being ready. It took 30 minutes for staff to realize we were not part of this group and that we were actually trying to check-in, but after that, they were very apologetic, friendly and quick. We got our keys and map of the resort right away. There really should be a better system to deal with new arrivals vs complaints (clearly separated line-ups maybe each with its designated staff?).
Rooms: Location is everything! At first, we got a room in building 10 and though the room itself was nice, very clean and spacious, it did not have a telephone. As we had small children at home, this was an issue for us as we wanted to be reachable in case of an emergency. When we spoke to the front desk about the issue, they were friendly, but just shrugged it off and said ‘In building 10, the phones often don’t work’. Luckily, I had read reviews before leaving and knew to go directly to the customer service desk. This is a small desk directly in the lobby and there was always someone sitting at this desk whenever I walked by. The lady at the desk was very friendly and told us to come back in 30 minutes so that she could resolve the issue for us. When we returned, she told us to go to the front desk for keys to our new room. Our new room was on the second floor of building 15 facing construction. The noise from the construction was never really an issue. This room had 2 telephones and like the first room, was very clean and spacious. The beds were firm (which both my husband and I prefer). The pillows, as mentioned in many other reviews, were flat on our first night, but folded in half, they were fine. The rooms have sliding glass patio doors that have both a regular lock and a chain lock, it felt very safe. There is an in-room safe at no extra charge that operates on a 4 digit code that you pick. Note, you must enter a code and hit ‘lock’ each time (which is good, as if you wanted, you could put a new code each time). There is also a large trunk in the room, but you must bring your own lock for it (the locks that we had on our luggage worked great!). We were able to fit both our luggage and carry-on luggage (4 bags total) plus our souvenirs in this large trunk. A/C worked very well, the room stayed nice and cool (no need to leave card in the slot to have power on all day).

ROOM TIPS:
-take care of your maid and she will take care of you! A small gift, a tip (2-3 CUC) and note go a long way! Our maid knew us by name and always took time to talk to us when we saw her. Excellent customer service (more than that really! She really went above and beyond in many respects).
-Buildings 11-15 surround the pool area, which does get a bit busy through the day but close to everything. Buildings 18-24 would be a bit of a walk, but there are some golf carts that can pick you up and drop you off (though we never used them, so not sure how it works or how often they run).
-When you enter your room, look next to the light switch, there is a slot to put your room card in to activate the power in the room.
-Make sure the door has locked behind you! Our door mechanism was a bit glitch and sometimes when we thought the door was locked, it wasn’t! We played around with it a bit and found that it worked best if we took out the room card from the slot and waited for the power to go out before we left the room, this seemed to fix the issue with the door’s locking mechanism. There is also a deadbolt for when you are in the room.

Food:
Though I’m not a picky eater, I was a bit concerned about the food before I came, as I had read several negative reviews. Anyone who cannot find good food to eat at this resort is by far too picky! I never had any issues with cold food or lack of plates (if there are none at one end of the buffet, check the other end or by the meat station, there are usually some there as well).

Buffet: The buffet was a bit repetitive, but offered such a large array of choices that you could have a different plate at each meal if you chose to do so. There were always deli meats and cheeses, cold salads, breads and some fresh fruit (though not a large selection, usually pineapple, watermelon, guava and bananas). There are three different made fresh stations at the back of the buffet: 1 meat station(by FAR the best of the food here was their meat!), either beef or chicken and fish (all delicious! And sometimes you could get it with veggies in a wrap); 1 station that usually had quesadillas, 1 station that has pizza. And of course, the main buffet section always had a wide selection of dishes, usually including rice, potato dishes, vegetarian dishes (though be careful, a lot of the vegetable dishes also had meat, for example, a dish labelled only as green beans was actually green beans and bacon!), seafood and meat dishes as well. I tried a large variety of dishes at the buffet and of all I tried, only 1 item I did not like (ravioli). My only complaint about the food was that it was sometimes over salted, so if you are on a low-sodium diet, you may want to stick to the ready-made stations or be careful in your selections. Breakfast was excellent, especially the omelet and crepe stations at the back (you could also get fried eggs at the omelet station). There were all kinds of pastries and fruit and always something different each morning in the main buffet trays. My only complaint about breakfast is that they only served bacon the first few days we were there and the rest of the week, they had different types of sausages, some were good, but for those like my husband who are less adventurous with food, bacon is a must! The service at the main buffet was excellent! We always sat at the same station to get the same two waiters who were both very attentive and friendly!
We tried 3 A-La-Carte restaurants:
Tex-Mex: was by far the best of the restaurants we tried. My husband had the chicken burrito and I had the Moachican Beef which were both delicious. For appetizers, you had access to a cold buffet and also got some cheese quesadillas and tortilla chips with a few dips. You also got a choice of soup, which was nothing to write home about, really mostly broth. Dessert was a simple, but delicious chocolate dessert. Two tips: 1) don’t try to go even 5 minutes early for your reservation, you will be turned away (a bit rudely)! 2) Slather on some OFF bug spray before you go!! This is in the grill by the main pool and is open-sided with some loose-fitting screen panels. We woke up with several dozen bug bites from our nice dinner!
Italian: For appetizers, you had access to a cold buffet and choice of soup, which were OK. My husband ordered the Diavolo pizza and I had the stuffed chicken breast. Both were delicious! Tiramisu dessert was very good.

Seafood: I had high hopes for this A-La-Carte, which we had saved for our last night, but was somewhat disappointed. For appetizers, you had access to a cold buffet and choice of soup. My husband and I both chose the Lobster Cream soup and though I can usually choke back food I dislike (and again, I am not at all a picky eater), neither my husband or myself could eat it! It tasted terrible and was very gritty. The main dishes, my husband had the salmon and I had the Red Snapper with prawns were tasty, though a bit undercooked for our taste. Also, if you have an aversion to wildlife or germs, you may wish to avoid the lighthouse altogether. As it is an open-air restaurant with loose-fitting screen panels, they have a large family of birds living right in the restaurant and they make themselves right at home! One couple had to move tables as the birds were fixing their nest directly above their heads and dropping bits of grass into their food. I did not mind the birds, as I thought it was adorable (and did not get anything in my food), but not everyone appreciate these cute little guests.
FOOD TIPS:
- Book your A-La-Carte restaurants immediately! I believe the hours are from 9am-4pm at the customer service desk in the main lobby. We could not book upon arrival as it was past 4pm, but we booked first thing the next morning and already, the best we could get was our last 3 nights of our week-long trip, including one reservation at 9:15pm (which was not a problem, we had a snack at the buffet at 6:30pm to tie us over).

Pools: There are 3 pools at this resort:
1)large main pool where you can find the kids club/waterslide, a swim-up bar and most of the entertainment activities throughout the day
2)a quiet pool by the lighthouse that does not have a bar right there (though you can sometimes through the day get drinks at the lighthouse bar) but was my favorite! It has a large sheltered area with loungers and we never had any issues finding two loungers in the shade. This pool area also has some shade, which was my favorite place to relax, in the shade of the palm trees, in the water with a cold drink!

3) Pool near buildings 20-24: This is a nice pool with a swim-up bar that has music playing. However, we only went once, as it got quite full and loud with a lot of drunk, rude, people that congregated at the bar (of course, this likely depends on the tourists that you end up with that week). As we were looking moreso for a quiet, relaxing vacation, we avoided this pool, as it also did not have any shade at all.

Beach:
The beach here is a beautiful white-sand beach, though it does tend to have quite a few broken shells and seaweed on shore. The waters are crystal-clear and the waves on windy days are amazing! We never saw a single jellyfish and we really enjoyed the beach. We never had an issue finding a palaupa, even on the main stretch of beach (very long beach with three large sections of palapas to choose from). Though there is no bar directly on the beach, at the main section, there is a walkway to the Theatre Bar, which doubles as the Beach Bar (one side open to the theatre for nightly shows and other side opens to the beach). There were some daily activities such as beach volleyball on the main beach but it was not very disruptive. This resort also offers non-motorized water sports as part of the all-inclusive, including Kayaks, Paddleboats and Catamarans (though you can not take the catamarans out yourself, a staff member goes with you). We took a paddleboat out one day and it was fantastic, though it was not a windy day, so there were several little black flies that swarmed us, though we got no bites from them. Sadly as Varadero is very windy, the water sports were often not permitted for safety reasons.

Bars:
-There are several bars to choose from at this resort, all of which are quite good in their own way. The Lobby bar was our favorite place to hang out for cappuccinos (best EVER) or cocktails. One side of the lobby is open-air and the other side, and all along the main building, are large windows that are often open to allow the nice breeze through. The lobby bar also has slushies, which make for good cocktails or a good non-alcoholic treat on a hot day. You can also have your bottle of water refilled here (note it’s not bottled water, but twice filtered water which the Sunwing rep assured us was safe). We tipped 95% of the time, but I did not notice any difference in service when we did not tip. I think it has more to do with smiles and being polite. You get what you give. If you are rude, impatient and ignorant to staff, don’t expect good service, just like any other part of the world!
-Theatre/Beach Bar: good drinks and they have a drink menu, which comes in very handy! You can also get cappuccinos here that are just as good as the main lobby.
BARS TIP: -Bring your own insulated mugs as they only have very small plastic cups with no straws (even for hot cappuccinos!) if you take the drinks to go, rather than sit there with them.

Other Services and hotel overall:
The service is definitely a selling point for this resort. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Never once did I walk through this resort where I did not see cleaning/maintenance staff hard at work. The washrooms did sometimes run out of paper towel or toilet paper, but they were replenished quite often. The front desk staff were friendly, though often busy and not that helpful. If you have any issues whatsoever, go straight to the customer service desk, they make things happen! You can now have your money exchanged directly at the front desk (at the check-out side on the left) and it runs all day until 8pm. You can also get small change here for tipping, though they often run out of singles (1 CUC). The exchange rates are posted right at the desk, but it’s up to you to do the math to make sure you don’t get ripped off. The gift shop at the hotel is open every day until 8pm and has a large selection of reasonably priced souvenirs and necessities (such as suntan lotion which we ran out of…a bit expensive at $15 for a small tube, but came in handy. They also sell Coke/Pepsi products and Pringles here, as well as locally made snacks. !). Along the main building past the theatre, there are also some vendors there selling reasonably-priced items. One of our favorite things to do on the resort was to play ping pong at the Club House (there was also a pool table). The double-decker bus to downtown Varadero is the best way to get around, it’s $5 per day per person and you can use it as many times as you want (you get a ticket good for the whole day until 8pm). You can take the bus by the side of the road on the right, directly out the front gate of the resort. Though we did not have our kids with us, there were a lot of young children at the resort and the staff seemed to be really good with kids!
Entertainment: We did not partake much of the entertainment at the resort. We did watch part of the nightly shows, which featured very talented dancers! Before the show, they had a mini disco for the young kids to go up on stage and dance with the animation staff. It was very cute and the kids seemed to really enjoy it. The costumes were not always kid-friendly, but the shows take place at 9:30pm for a reason. If you don’t want your kids exposed to revealing clothing, don’t take them to the nightly shows. We never did make it to the Disco which opened at 11pm each night and is located near the lighthouse. In terms of activities through the day, there was always something going on either at the main pool or the beach, but this was not something we were interested in and the animation staff were not pushy like I have seen at other resorts. If you are looking for a nice relaxing vacation, it is very easy to find at the Blau Marina!
Excursions: I highly recommend the Matanzas/Yumuri Tour! We had been to Matanzas on a previous trip and wanted to revisit it, that’s why we picked this excursion and were pleasantly surprised. At 49CUC per person, it is the least expensive. It includes a full day (from 7:45 to 5pm), you travel on a comfortable bus with a nice tour guide, starting with a boat trip down the Rio Canimar where you will see the tallest bridge in Matanzas (you can purchase delicious lobster tails for $10 that are well worth it!), followed by a short walking Tour of the city of Matanzas where you visit an old pharmacy turned into a museum (must pay $1 to take pics). Then you drive through the Yumuri Valley to Gaviota Ranch where you have a typical Cuban lunch with 1 drink and then you get some free time to have a coffee at Montejo’s house, go for a short horseback ride or go on a paddleboat on the lake (lunch and activites are all included in the price!). You also stop at Montserrat Heights, which has a beautiful church which has a beautiful view of Matanzas on one side and a breathtaking view of the Yumuri Valley on the other side! You then finish the day with a visit to the Bellamar cave…a long way down, even longer way up, but well worth it!

Room Tip: buildings 11-15 are close to main pool and restaurants, building 10 has issues with the phones.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NBowley

Reviewed April 26, 2013

My friend and I just returned from the Blau Marina and had a very disappointing experience. Thank goodness the beach and weather were so enjoyable. We seemed to have had one of the worst rooms in the resort. Stay away from block 20! My friend and I were just looking for a cheap vacation. We knew it would likely have some issues, but we are easy going individuals who did our best to not let things bother us. It began when we checked in. We stood in line waiting for 45 minutes to get our room, then given a very badly photocopied map of the resort and were on our own to find it. It was after midnight, dark and unfamiliar we were left had lug all our luggage the long trek to our room and then up a flight of stairs. We wanted double beds, but got a King, the tv didn't work, the patio door didn't lock. We didn't have beach towels which were supposed to be in the room. Three days later and after many calls they finally appeared. The room key failed to work 5 times which meant we had to take the long trek back to the lobby to have it reprogrammed. We often would return to our room after 5 PM and the maid still had not touched our room. We had brought clothes, makeup and toiletries for her and tipped her daily but still the floor was so filthy my feet were black. The final straw was returning to our room from dinner to discover that we had a waterfall coming from the ceiling fan, which was directly over our bed. We were given another room in block 17 which was superior to the previous. We noticed right away that this new room had amenities such as soap, shampoo, extra pillows, stools, a locking door and it was clean. We spoke to many other guests who had purchased the privilege package and they had been given an upgrade to the adult island rooms. These rooms sounded amazing even though they were a very long way from any of the restaurants. If we had been given one of those rooms perhaps we would have a better opinion of the hotel. The worst thing for us is that no one cared to help us out. The customer service was horrendous. Our Air Canada rep finally stepped in to negotiate for us and they gave us a late check out on day of departure, which was appreciated.
Although the hotel advertises Wifi, the internet company from Havana had not issued any cards to the hotel, nor did they know when or if they would get them. Even though they had a room with computers set up for guests to use, there was not even any access through their server. When I asked our rep it was suggested we go into Varadero to an internet cafe.
We found the food to all taste the same. They do not use spices in anything and liberally used cooking oil. We survived on omelets from the singing omelet chef, who was pleasant and efficient, then found the Lighthouse made decent pizza but were very tired of it after 5 days. The service there was extremely slow as well. The last day it took us 2 hours to get a pizza. We enjoyed the Italian restaurant but the portions were small. The rest of the food was horrible and we were always searching for bread to fill our stomachs.
The best part of the hotel was the #3 pool. The other pools were murky and green but this was was a crystal clean affinity pool with a swim up bar. We had fabulous service from Raphael and Danya. They took good care of us and kept us entertained. If you go, ask for a Raphael special.
Next time we will spend a bit more money and go somewhere other than Cuba.

Room Tip: Stay away from block 20
2  Thank Debi G
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Mom and me went from April 16th and arrived back on 24th , 7 nights stay at Blau Marina . We ahd a great time at Resort and In cuba overall. And I think we would like to go back to Cuba and would like to go back the same resort.

Location: The resort is not near the Varadero down because it is the last resort at Varador Resort areas. the worse part is it takes a while to get to downtown, but if you took the city bus tour ($5 per trip per day per person), you are worth it because you get to see all the hotels and you had the longest ride ever!!!!

Bonues vista social club: whoever wants to go to see the concert, it is on Wednesday and Friday night from 10 to 11:30 and with transfer, the ticket is $ 32! I think it is a great experience, one of the former member is still playing !!!!! I definitely recommended and the concert Plays in Mambo Club !!!

Five restaurants at resort: the Blau has five different restaurants besides the buffet area. I still prefer the buffet especial I had Duck for two nights and Rabbit for three nights ( I love duck and rabbit) . I only been the Italian restaurant with my mom and they only limited selection but good environment to be spend time with your friends and family. And you need to book eariler for your week as well. I arrived on Tuesday, by the time Wednesay, almost all the restuarants have been booked! so book early if you want to go. You have Italian, Spanish, Mexican and Seefood, wans not sure whethere there is a French one as well

Room: We lived in Block 15. third floor so we have a good view overall. but we are besides the swimming pool so if you would like to rest during lunch time, they are kinda of loud and buy around lunch time, since they will have a dance class at 12 and 3. the Block 14 is just next to Block 15 so similar situation. You only free one bottle of little water, two beers, two soft drinks everyday for your mini fridge but if you do not drink all, they will not fill the new ones. I was disppointed about that the maid did not make any special bedding for our room, I was expected them to make my bed as a swan , ship and different staff, but they only made it sepcial the very last day, so I was not sure whether because I only tip one pesson per day or not

Rent a car: We rent a car for three days for $ 290 per pesso for six people ( it is only unlimited drive for three days rental ) and we did a roap trip for three days, been to a lot of places and drove to Habana, Playa Giron, Mantazas, and other small villages. I think it is nice to rent a car and have a look of realy cuban life. But I only recoemmended if you have a lot of people travel with you like a family or group of people.

Service and people : I think the service at Hotel is really nice, especial for my maid, and people who works at the Buff restuarants. They are all hard working and they try to communicate with you as much as possible. Some of them speak really good English , some of them only speak a little, but they still trying and smilling to you all the time. Here are some people who served me and mom : DOREINIS, YUNIER, VLADIMIR , there are two more people who helped me with my swon arms !!1 but I forgot to write down their names! If some one who is from the resort are reading the comments please remember they did all the hard work!!!!! and send some of my pictures to them as well !!!!

Internet and Salon: They sale internet car for $ 10 pesso for an hour but when we get there, all the cards are sold out ! so you need to be quick to buy your card! I never been to salon myself, but some of people I know did. You can do brades for $15 pesso, and wash your hair and make them straight afterwards for $ 15 pesso!!! I kinda of regreat that I did not do my brades first thing before my trip

Drink and entertainment: I think it is really nice! at the lobby bar, you can order cappuchino, it is a nice one! for drink, you can drink anything. I love the four days entainment very special, it is a ballet night!!!! Girls worked really hard for that performance, and they danced my favourite song fro " Chicago " Musical show! the night entertainment lasts about one or two hours and start 9:30 every evening .

Meeting different people : I met a lot of people from European and had a great time chatting with them!!!!

Overall, It is so

Room Tip: Location: The resort is not near the Varadero down because it is the last resort at Varador Resort a...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ruochen_li
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Upon arrival the room was not ready at check-in time. Yolady at the front desk provided the worst customer service possible. My friend was not registered at the hotel, and wanted to stay one night, he was quoted $134 night to share a room with me. It was later learned that he could have purchased the same service from the tour desk in the hotel lobby for $70. The food was terrible, I have been to cuba over 10 times and can honestly say this is the worst food ever.The Spanish Restaurant was disgusting. No hot water a fews days with no real concern from the front desk. No internet available for the entire week, understanding that I did not go cuba to surf the web, I did need to check my email from work at least once or twice. Lots of bugs, many people had major bites all over their legs. I was lucky. The beach was nice, the rooms were in good condition. Service overall was very poor at this resort. I would not stay again. It is a 3 star at best.

2  Thank Chris416
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We were at the blau from April 6-20th. From the first moment the hotel staff was great. Vianna at guest services was the best. She made us feel welcome. She helped us get settled and arranged some of tours. The staff couldn't do enough for us. Special thank you to Vianna, jimmy at the bar and Daylana at the buffet and many others that i can't remember their names

The hotel is beautiful and the beach is gorgeous. The food is good and lots of choice. Try the ice cream. It's yummy.

The rooms are clean. We always had water,pop and beer in the fridge everyday. I requested diet coke and it was done.

All in all the blau is great. Go and enjoy

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Callapb
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Date of trip was April 14 to 21. We had great weather and the beach was beautiful. There were lots of Palapas to choose from and they were spaced apart so everyone was not on top of one another.
Rooms were large clean and nice decor. I changed rooms because I had a first floor room that was facing the constuction and very musty. Moved to other secion of resort closer to light house
3rd floor. The air conditioning in both rooms was not great, however my friend had good air conditioning.
THe staff were friendly and professional, especially the front desk staff.
The food was good in the buffet and lunch bar by the pool with the slide. The pizza at the light house was not very good. The late night burgers and fires at the light house were good.
Did not bother with any a la cartes.
Twice during the week there was a line up to get into the buffet around 8pm.
The fridge was filled with beer pop and water daily. There was no diet pop at the bars or restaurants but I bought some in the store to keep in the fridge.
There are 3 pools, one end has the pool with slide and lots of kids, central is the pool by the light house and the other end has a pool with swim up bar, however the restaurant and washrooms were closed at that pool.
There are no bars directly on the beach, but not too far to walk to beach bar and the light house bar.
exchange rate that week was 93.54 at the bank and 90.00 at the hotel.
Overall we enjoyed our trip here but the hotel is just too large for us.

Room Tip: Bungalow 14 and 15 facing the pool would be good and not too much walking
5  Thank cubasiempre
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Where do I begin...
Just got back from a week at this resort will never ever go back! There was no ice for drinks for two days. Was told again and again the ice machine was broken. There were tons of tiny ants in the room and in the fridge. The safe did not work, the phone did not work. The door handle for the door came off in my hand. The Tapas ala carte was beyond horrendous. The buffet was ok but I was pretty sick of it by weeks end. The last day wanted to pay for an extra night by credit card was told the machine was broken. Not once were there clean beach towels at the place you exchange them. The only positive was the beach it was amazing!!! Six months ago I stayed at Memories in Varadero and it was the best resort ever!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family