“A Decent Pick for Varadero”

Blau Marina Varadero Resort
Ranked #39 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was my first trip to Cuba although I have traveled to other places including various other islands in the Caribbean. I'm 24 and traveled with a friend during Ontario reading week.

I was pleasantly surprised with the cleanness and general condition of the room. It was spacious and things were well scrubbed and swept. The bed was large and adequately comfortable. They seem to have resolved the pillow complaints by putting two pillows in each pillow case to approximate a normal pillow. That being said I'm judging this against my other southern vacations and you still only get 2 pillows for a larger than King sized bed. There were minor stains on the couch and chair, and I definitely didn't pull the bed a part to check the mattress or box spring like some guests seem to have, but everything was clean, comfortable and secure. Oh, except our tv didn't work. We tried it once and then went back to not caring but if this is an issue for you I'm sure they would have swapped it if we had complained.

The resort is large but not ridiculously so. Walking end to end of the main resort (not the adults only section) takes about 15 minutes. There are 3 pools spread out along the linear resort and 2 main beach sections. The main building including the front desk, buffet, and most of the bars and a la cartes is located roughly 2/3 of the way up the strip.

The food was actually rather different from what I expected reading other reviews. The main buffet has a fresh meat grill (line up, get handed your choice), a pasta station (line up, order your choices), a general buffet (hot choices grab what you want), a cold buffet (salad with everything pickled, some cold seafood and ham cold cuts), a 'pizza' station, a bread bar, and a fruit bar in addition to a desserts table. They also occasionally had a special carved meat item.
However if you don't like pickled things don't expect to eat vegetables for the week. Also if you don't eat seafood or eggs your options become much much more limited. They also tend to mix utensils so if you have a food allergy consider making separate food arrangements. Overall the food was generally pretty decent once you found something to your liking.

We went during a busy week and generally didn't have issues with line ups for the custom cooking stations. What we did have issues with was a lack of plates (they were like gold and we did occasionally have to wait for them to be washed before eating) and a lack of space in the buffet. The late start times meant that everyone tried to go at once when the buffet opened at 6:30 pm for dinner and consequently was often lined up to get a table until 8pm or later.

The a la cartes were hit and miss. We technically could have gone to 3 but elected to stick with just using 2 of them. We went to Mexican first then Italian.

The Mexican was at the far end of the resort in an outdoors pavilion. At sunset on a nice calm, warm night it probably would have been very nice. By 8 pm in a wind storm it wasn't. One of the wind blocks was broken and a table actually blew over. They also haven't mastered doing set seatings for dinner and it was more than half an hour before we had any food. The waitress also took my friends drink order and completely skipped mine.... twice. The food was about what I would have expected at a baseball game. It was a total skip to the point where we dashed into the buffet for sandwiches after.

The Italian was much much better. The service was excellent, food choices were good and well portioned, felt much more like going out to eat (albeit still not the standards of a nice restaurant at home). It lacked compared to the a la cartes I experienced in the Dominican but was a nice change from the buffet.

The discotheque was quiet, even during reading week but did have good music. The animation team staff being there drinking and trying to pick up every night didn't really help it.

The beach was lovely but had a definite shortage of chairs on busy days. I also didn't get offered help finding or setting one up once, but other travelers were for the most part very good at offering them if they were leaving. It was generally very smooth and calm. I didn't have any issues with too many rocks or sharp objects. The water stays shallow for quite a ways and there are no plants or fish. It's a great beach for those not so comfortable with the ocean but not so much if you're looking to snorkel or see things. There are also free catamaran rides and kayaks from the beach. The boating staff were very helpful.

The resort staff were generally very friendly, they've clearly been trained that the guest is always right and are very eager to earn tips (sometimes obnoxiously so). Generally the dinning room and food staff were my favourites. Mikeal at the lobby bar also makes some very yummy, very dangerous drinks and offers great service. The animation team was the counter point to this and really dropped the ball on activities. There is a huge schedule of events but they rarely seem to happen and only ever if you ask if they're going on. This was probably our biggest disappointment with the resort. The stuff is there but it was really hard to meet other guests when you had to be the ones constantly trying to get the activities going yourself.

We did the jeep tour, Varadero city tour and havana tour with cubacan tours (the airtransat desk at the hotel). The total for all 3 was surprisingly cheap at just over one fifty. The jeep tour is the must do and includes an extended drive in your own jeep, ranch property visit, drive your own boat ride, lunch in a national park area and a quick swim in a cave. The Havana tour was good for first timers but expect the typical slow pace wait for the tour group deal. As the last resort on the peninsula be prepared for about an hour of picking people up from other hotels at the start of each tour. It's actually not as bad as it sounds and lets you see the other resorts/ get that extra sleep.

A few more general words about the resort / area:
-Smoking is allowed everywhere and people take advantage of that.
-The resort is a strong mix of all ages and seems to work for everyone
- The construction was right outside our window and generally still not too bad
- Food options outside of the general buffet hours are extremely limited and often don't operate on schedule.
-The cigar bar is a real gem, lovely setting and atmosphere - worth the walk but generally quiet because of it.
-The floor show at night is well done but quite risque.
-Water was often challenging to get. You get one 1.5L bottle per room, per day. If you want more ask at the lobby bar early in the day. They get a limited quantity and you generally have to beg for it. The front desk will simply send you over to the bar to ask for it.
-There are no slushy drinks so expect non iced pina coladas and no daquiri's etc.
-Some travelers seem to forget with the lack of Americans we still aren't back home and should still be putting on polite international traveling behavior. There seems to be a higher incidence of Canadians acting poorly than I've experienced other places, especially I found from the older, we come here every year, set.

-There is a definite divide between tourist areas/ services and local areas/ services, you are strongly expected to stay on the tourist side so if you're looking for more experience the local culture this isn't the city to go to. For example the club we went out to (The Cave) was almost exclusively Ontario University students and had a DJ from Toronto... fun but I could have stayed home for that. Think Disney world - it's all pretty on the outside but you'll never see the dirty side.

-Bathrooms: Please understand that outside of North America free clean bathrooms are not the norm. The Cuba standard seems to be a surprisingly clean room, with a door that may or may not lock or extend up to eye height, no toliet paper, no toilet seat and slightly less than 50 % chance of it flushing and having running water to wash your hands. Most of the public bathrooms on the resort come in just above this with toilet seats, 50/50 chance of paper, 50/50 chance of locking door and pretty reliable flush/ tap working. It was also nice that tipping to use most public toilets really was optional unlike in Europe.

Overall the resort was nice side of typical based on my experience and I would recommend it if you're looking for somewhere in Varadero. That being said the lack of animation team kept it from 100% fulfilling what we were looking for.

Room Tip: The room blocks don't seem to differ much except in walking distance to things. With the humidit...
7  Thank Kathleen M

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was my third trip to Cuba (2nd to Varadero) and my husband's first and he liked it very much. We booked a very last minute trip after reading many positive reviews. I later learned that this was the former Barcelo Marina Palace and was a little concerned, based on negative reviews for that resort.
We landed very late from Halifax to an 8 degree celcius Varadero night...quite shocking (but in no way the fault of the hotel ha!).It did warm up. Our vacation was from Feb 17 to the 24th. Trip from the airport went well and we were delivered to our rooms quite quickly. I have to say, I wasn't pleased with our first room. Our travel agent had requested that we not have a ground floor room and that's what we got, and very close to the road and construction.(14 block) There was no problem to change rooms the next day and we had a lovely third floor room on the end facing the main pool (16 block) with a lovely little patio to sit out in. Maid service was fine and the fridge was restocked daily with water, pop and beer. There was the standard two double beds put together for a king, but it was fine with a couch and table besides and deep bathtub.
The hotel was fully booked for the first part of our stay (overbooked, said the bellman). There was significant lineups at times for the buffet, but lots of food to choose from once you were there. I did not have an issue with any of the food there.
The resort is quite spread out, but all along the beach, which is amazing. White sand with lots of palapas and we could always find a seat. You could walk for miles. We were only fifty five steps from our building to the beach. The grounds are lovely.
Staff were great. Bellamys at the buffet was especially welcoming and did her job well.
We took the Transat tour to Havana and I saw a lot more of the restoration in the old city had been completed. I especailly enjoyed the museum with the beautiful courtyard, was not so impressed at dropping us off at the craft market on the harbour front for an hour at the end of the tour. We would have enjoyed snorkelling and heard later of a couple that arranged for snorkelling only tour from a catamaran that was arranged through the consierge for 20 pesos each and they enjoyed the trip. I arranged for a late checkout for the room which was 25 pesos. Varadero airport is a zoo and if there were extra pesos at the end of the trip, would have booked the VIP there.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank AntigonishBarb
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Regardless of the resort anywhere in Cuba...food will always be bad and bland in the buffets and especially a LA Cartes restaurants.

Cubans working in the service tourist industry are extremely rich in comparison to their compatriots that do not have access to tourists handing over pesos for every service.

Bring american locks ... to secure your luggage...the Chinese locks they sell there can be interchangeably opened with the same keys ! Which I figured out after having been robbed when I had some of my clothes stolen from the trunk I locked.

Safe in closet can easily be ripped off from back wall...which is what happened to a couple while there. Therefore bring very little of anything valuable.

Don't bother to ask for change....they never will admit to having change...totally foreign concept....they know you'll eventually give up and say keep the change.

Watch out for Che Gueveras coins or bills as change which are worthless to you ...the coins look similar to the convertibles.

Watch out for scams like tickets being sold during festivities or shows.... nobody wins and if they do its worthless insignificant articles or not what you expected.

Pollution is pretty bad since its deisal and unfiltered... don't bother for the snorkeling since its all dead corals etc....doesnt help when even the guide is standing on top of them ! .the Belle Mar Matanzas under ground grottos are a waste of time and your 5 pesos for pictures.

Drink only filtered bottled water and wash your hands at all time. Bring toilet paper with you when going on excursions ...if your going to donate stuff or money do it on excursions to people that are not tourist grabbing.

Cuba is a communist Latin country ... so yes it looks and is poor and yes the shows are sexually revealing... its normal for Latin countries !

Therefore put your kids to bed if your going to take in these shows if your prudish.

Lastly your guides do not know better of what's outside Cuba...so whatever offering is so amazing ...take it with a grain of salt.

Smoking is permitted pretty much everywhere ...its one of their biggest exports and there's no such thing as no smoking areas really.

Do not rent cars or motorbike... if you get into an accident you will be detained regardless of return flight. Sorting out who's at fault is on Cuba time....which means it can take forever.

Same goes for your help desk and servants... if you want to be served well they will remember you and your tips.

Cheers !

• Stayed: February 2013
12  Thank Trekvlad
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We were there from Februray 9 to 16. We would recommend this resort and we would return to it.

We weren't sure what to expect because of some of the negative reviews we had read. As it turned out we were very, very happy with the resort. This was our second trip to Cuba, our first to Varadero. We liked the layout of the resort. We stayed in Block 18. It was about a five minute walk to the lobby. You do have to do some walking at this resort, but we liked that.

Staff: Some people have mentioned that the front desk staff in the lobby were unfriendly. I had the complete opposite experience with them. I found them friendly, helpful and lots of smiles. Overall most staff members were friendly and nice. There were some staff in the lobby bar that were less friendly than others, but it was very, very busy. The staff in the store weren't all that friendly, but courtous. They had a walk-in humidor, for cigars, but you couldn't go in; you had to look in a catalogue (no prices!), and ask about the price, and have them bring you what you wanted.

Room: The rooms are a good size. The maid cleaned our room every day and left us nice notes and towel sculpures. Our fridge was stocked every day with water, beer and sodas. The room did smell a little musty, especially at first, but as we were on the second floor, we'd leave our patio door open sometimes, and it aired out. No problems with water pressure (ok, not super strong in the shower, but more than adequate) and there was always hot water when we showered. We didn't have any problem with the beds. Some people said the beds and pillows were uncomfortable, but we were comfortable.

Food: The buffet is large, well maintained, and there with lots of choices. They have great cheeses, breads, there are cooks making fresh, made to order meats and fish, pasta and pizza. In the morning there's a cook doing omlettes and another doing crepes. The ice cream is really good. There is always vegetables, fruit, lots of egg choices in the morning, potatoes, desserts, meats, cold cuts. We went to the spanish a la carte, it was good and the sea food a la carte was very good.

Pools: There are 3 pools. Our favorite was the one at the end near block 21. It is really pretty, peaceful and it has a swim up bar. We found the main pool too busy and noisy for us, but would be fun if you're there with children.

Beach: Very beautiful and the water is warm. Just be careful of the sea urchins. We saw some in the water. You don't want to step on them! There are several different beach areas, each with its own character, depending on your taste. At one, near the lighthouse, there was a guy always running up to you when you arrived, insisting on setting up our chairs, towels, etc... This was a bit of a pain, but he was very nice, so we let him "do his job", as he'd say, gave him a peso, and everyone was happy.

Lobby: There are lots of drinks at the lobby bar. You can get mixed drinks, wine, beer, whiskey, sparkling wine, spanish coffee. One bartender named Mical (sp?) was so nice. He sometimes works at the swim up bar too.

Gym: The treadmills and stationary bikes look quite new and work well. They also have free weights and cabled workstations. There's also a water cooler and a TV.

Money: You can exchange your money at this resort. Not all resorts do this, so it's very handy. The "Cambio" is like a branch of an in-town bank, and were told the exhange is the same there as it is at the bank in Varadero. We were also able to use our credit card; they charged an additional 1.3% (they stressed that our Canadian cards were ok, as long as they weren't drawn on a US bank).

Sand fleas: There are sand fleas on the beach. I got some bites on my lower legs (but my husband, right beside me, didn't). It might be a good idea to wear bug spray when you go to the beach. Some one suggested tea tree oil, which has a nicer smell. They said it worked.

Overall, a very enjoyable experience!

Room Tip: The buildings have either two or three floors. Our preference was for the second floor, and that'...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Ann M
Reviewed February 23, 2013

First time to Cuba and would return here again, after visiting other places in the world. The resort was overall fairly impressive due to so many features. The resort was well spread out which is both good and bad. We traveled in a group of 8 and had 4 rooms. 2 on one side of the resort and 2 on the other side. We arrived late at night and the first impression was our rooms Seemed a little musty and hard beds. We did get used to the rooms which I would rate 5 out of 10. Everything else at the resort I would rate 8-9 out of 10. Did wish the rooms had clocks so that we could check the time. No one uses cell phone to tell times and watches are put away for safe keeping. Several restaurants and bars all over the resort. Several pools all over the resort and a spa fitness area. Never got to enjoy the beach as the weather was to windy the first few days and the last few days we went on excursions. Highly recommend the catamaran tour with snorkelling, dolphins and the best beach ever!!

The staff were all very friendly except for two locations.
1. Hotel lobby bar. Perhaps because they were always busy. Do not ask them for bottled water as they will look at you like you have a hole in your head and tell you to GO AWAY. Different staff did so twice. Even when we got a coffee there they were not friendly. At this bar 6-8 times and never had a pleasant service. All the other bars the staff were friendly and offer bottled water.
2. Front Desk. Perhaps because they do not get tips. We went there twice and had poor service.

Restaurants:
Stick with the buffet. Lots to choose from, Not great, but ok and what one can expect in a country like Cuba. Went to the Italian restaurant one night. Food was bad, salty, under cooked chicken, burnt pizza. Paper napkins while linen in main restaurant (seems reverse) and misuse of charger plate. They took few reservations at a time. Had to wait until 8:15pm to eat, but place was 1/2 empty when we arrived. The Spanish restaurant was next door and use the same kitchen. Therefore, I expect the same chef and same poor quality of food.
Again, stick to the buffet in the main restaurant. Actually take the time to get in the lines at the back counters for better food then in the buffet.

Tip: Stay close to the restaurant by the main pool. If you get up late and miss breakfast they serve food there later in the morning, including fresh omelets. They also have a small bar there where you can get drinks after 12:30pm. You can still go to the nearby pool bar, but this is a hidden bar in the restaurant with hidden bathrooms around the inside back.

Did speak to several other tourists that have been to Cuba many times before and they all said that this resort was one of the better ones they have stayed at.

Loved the trip, liked the resort, have fun amigos!

Room Tip: Ask to be around the main pool area, not at the far end, IE: Block 1900, as its far away. Unless you...
2  Thank OOI_GuestServices
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I visited the Blau Marina Varadero with family, it was our first time to Cuba. I lowered my expectations greatly as many people told me to do, and it definitely made my trip better. First off, I think anyone who is thinking of travelling to Cuba must be aware that the five star resorts are equal to the three star standards in North America and Europe, and that I do believe the resorts try their best to do what they can with the resources they can get.

BEACH/POOLS: The beach was the most impressive part of the resort. The sand was beautiful, the beach looked like it was raked daily, and the water was always warm! There were no vendors attempting to sell you things on the beach like there are in other Caribbean countries so that was nice. If you walk along the beach early in the morning you can find some amazing shells, but watch where you step as there were Man of War jellyfish and sea urchins scattered all over the sand earlier in the day. There are also some staff waiting on the beach to get chairs for you and lay out your towels, but they do expect a tip and they will try their hardest to flag you down for their services, so a polite no thank you should get them to stop bothering you. There are four pools and they are all very clean. If you don't mind chilly water the pools are great for swimming, but I found swimming at the beach to be more pleasant.

FOOD: I went in not expecting much, but the food really wasn't too bad. The a la cartes are all very good, especially the seafood and italian. The wait staff are all very attentive and polite, and most are quite friendly. You get your food quickly in the restaurants, and my group found the food to be high quality. However, be very wary when eating at the buffets. The buffets have good and bad days. The omelettes made right in front of you in the morning are great, as well as the burgers for lunch. The pizza in the light house buffet is to die for, and the wait staff there are really great! But, my group often ran into the problem of having no plates to get our food, and often had to stand around for ten minutes waiting for plates to be put out. Many things in the buffet were questionable, and we were all very cautious after 3 out of 4 in our group suffered through 24 hours of diarrhea and cramps. Make sure to check your meat before eating as we ran into some problems with things being under cooked.

SERVICE/ROOMS: All of the waiters, bartenders, and animation staff were very friendly and helpful. But the people at the front desk could improve their customer service skills. They often weren't very friendly, and at one point my mother and I had to wait for at least five minutes standing at the desk while two women at the front desk finished what seemed like an argument before they paid any attention to us. I have read in other reviews that tips were not expected but I found the exact opposite. You are expected to tip EVERYWHERE for EVERYTHING, from the bus drivers to the musicians playing in restaurants and the lobby, to take pictures in museums, to use bathrooms outside of the resort, to get toilet paper in bathrooms, we found it all a little excessive. Do not use the bathrooms by the lobby and by the areas where the shows take place after six o'clock if you like to have toilet paper and soap when doing your business. On a more positive note, the rooms were very clean and towels were replaced daily. Make sure not to leave food out in your room as you will get infested with ants as we found when we left our Pringles can open. One problem we came across was the lack of bottled water in our rooms that was supposed to be included. We were given one on the first day, requested another on the third day, weren't given one, so we went to the front desk and were told we would get some in our rooms, never happened. So we went to the lobby bar and got our bottled water there for the rest of the week as we never had our fridge restocked until the day we were leaving.

Overall the resort was okay, but I would probably try another resort if I ever go back to Cuba.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank LotusFlower92
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Just came back from a 2 weeks vacation in Cuba.The beach is the best i have seen in a long time.The cuban people at that hotel are really nice.The place is clean and well kept.The staff in the section of the buffet are very devoted to our well-being and are effective and polite,i would like to thank Urbano,Deleys,Belmys,Dyana and Iyolexis, it was a pleasure every day to be so well treated by everyone of them.i was disappointed with the restaurants a la carte.Other than that it was super. Fern

Room Tip: I would like to go back to the same resort,but the next time i would bring my pillow.I