“Gracias Blau Marina!!”

Ranked #36 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Gracias Blau Marina!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

The Blau Marina is absolutely beautiful. As of September 1st it changed to Blau Marina from Marina Palace. I have had the pleasure of doing a number of all inclusives and this one took my breath away. I just returned after being in Varadero October 26th to November 2nd.

They have rally tried hard to make up for the previous ownership and are proud of what they are accomplishing. The hotel has a nautical/coastal type theme. It reminded me of something you would see in the Hamptons or the rich Kennedy family would reside in. By the way, the Blau Marina has a VIP section and it is absolutely beautiful but let me tell you every part of the hotel was beautiful.

Customer service was done with a smile and true friendliness. I speak some Spanish, so I am always keeping my ears open to hear what staff are saying when I ask for help...these people are really sincere. Fredy who acts as the head of customer service/customer relations was FABULOUS. He treated my girlfriend and I like family and what really impressed me is that he treated so many other guests that way as well. What I observed is that guests and staff alike really love Fredy. The man could not have been more gracious than if we were guests in his own home.

The facilities are beautiful and I was so impressed by many things. Blau is renovating to make guests more comfortable but they renovations are being done in such a way as to not interfere with any of the other guests. The resort is HUGE, the biggest I've been to and they are careful to do the renovations a building at a time so I was not seeing/hearing anything the entire time I was there.

I was happy with the food there and was full the entire time I was there. The staff was friendly and as an example when I ordered food off the grill the chef brought it to my table rather than having me wait. He did that for a number of people and remembered each person's order...classy.

The resort is family friendly and has a kids area (complete with a kid's swim up bar--too cute) but as an adult couple we did not feel like the place wasn't for us too & I would definitely return and bring my kids. What impressed me is that they have a "quiet pool" where they don't play music. actually I think they call it relaxation pool. So if you don't want the music you can just sit at the pool and hear the ocean instead. By the way the resort is right on the beach. When you come into the grand lobby you see the beach right away. There are some resorts that are so big that it takes a while to walk to the beach.

Overall I felt like royalty there and look forward to returning

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
14 Thank Vito J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (684)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Sault Ste. Marie
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a week at the Blau Marina Varadero. We flew with Air Transat (Nolitours) out of Toronto and were happy with the service and the flight. We arrived on time in Varadero and actually 20 minutes early on the way back to Toronto.

This is our first visit to Cuba and we ended up choosing the Blau Marina in Varadero as there was a good deal.
Varadero is about 30 - 45 minutes from the airport (depending on how many resorts you drop passengers off at) and is actually a long peninsula about 30 miles long and not too wide. The Blau Marina is one of the last resorts ( I believe there is one other after the Blau) on this peninsula. For those that like to golf while on vacation, there is a golf course in Varadero and its apparently the only one in Cuba.
The Blau Marina has just 'changed hands', it was a Barcelo resort 2 months ago and currently, there is refurbishing of the resort going on. We did get some emails from Nolitours advising us of some of this and during our stay the pool was open and the main buffet re-opened the 2nd day of our vacation. They are putting on a new roof so there is scaffolding outside the building all along the back...not a big deal as it doesn't interfere with being able to get in or out of the building. There's also some painting going on, primarily in the guest buildings which are currently empty.
During our week, it was very, very quiet at the resort. I believe there was only around 70 - 80 guests in the resort so all the areas looked empty - you'd go into the buffet and they'd be a handful of people there...same as the lobby, pool or on the beach. I walked across the entire grounds and it is quite a large resort but most of the place is shut down right now with painting and updating going on in the other areas of the resort. I think they had all the guests in one building, Building 12 which is near the pool and main building.
We had an ocean view junior suite which was quite beautiful...looks just like the pictures You are actually ocean view and can see and hear the ocean from your balcony. The balcony is not huge and it has the 'standard' white chairs and small table. They also have a towel bar on the balcony wall - very handy to hang your bathing suits to dry.
We found the beds comfortable enough...although the pillows aren't that good. My husband brought his own...smart thinking. The room had a king size bed with the usual desk / chair as well as a sitting area with a chair/ottoman and a love seat and coffee table...which I think is how most resorts classify a junior suite - they're a little larger and have the separate sitting area. I don't know if all the rooms are set up like this or not as the room was listed (when we booked) as junior suite, ocean view. The TV was the older type with a smaller screen (not flat screen) but hey...I'm on vacation and having a 32" flat screen is not a necessity. Two of the stations are English speaking so I did watch some of the programs that I see at home, nice bonus when you chill out in the room. Sometimes on these reviews, people complain or seem upset that the Spanish speaking countries in which they are a guest, provide them with only a few T.V. stations in English. This surprises me.
I think as a guest in another country, I'm fortunate that they give me a couple of English speaking stations that allow me to catch the occasional program when I'm chilling out in the room. In Ontario (Canada) where I live, all the TV stations are in English except for the odd (single) program that may be broadcast in another language so I count my blessings when abroad....at least I can watch something if I choose too.
There is a small fridge in the room and its stocked with a large bottle water, 2 coke, 2 sprite and 2 beer daily. Theres also a coffee maker and 1 packet coffee (daily). We don't use sugar/cream and come to think of it...I don't think there was any in the room but I'm sure its available if you ask. The bathroom was fairly standard...it had a closed area for the toilet and tub/shower. We had lots of hot water whenever we used it - no problems there. There is a hairdryer which worked although it doesn't have the same 'velocity' of drying power that we're accustomed to with Canadian hairdryers. BONUS...the hair dryer has a115 volt area built in plug identified for an electric shaver...I used it to charge my camera battery. We bought a 220-110 converter from CAA to use in Cuba for the purpose of recharging camera batteries and it didn't work!! :-( so I was happy to see this convenience available and save the day as it worked :-).
Our AC worked well until the evening of our 6th day. I reported it to the maid that morning and she was going to have it checked...when we came back to the room at the end of the day, still not working so we just turned on the ceiling fan and opened the balcony door as we only had the one evening left and part of the next day...this worked for us. Although I must say, guest services are very friendly and get things done for you if you need something...we just let if go because we found an alternative that worked for us. One of the things that I particularly liked was their 'beach towel' exchange set up. I've been to Mexico or Punta Cana yearly for the past 6 years and its always a hassle to exchange towels and a fear about losing your towel or towel cards as they charge you big bucks if you do...far more than any 10 towels are worth!! At the Blau Marina, our beach towels were in our room on arrival and we were told to exchange them at the front desk when we were done with them for the day, so much easier and never a problem. There was no mention of cost if you lost a towel and I didn't think to ask so not sure what happens in that case???

We felt that overall, this is a very nice resort. Its very clean and all areas of the resort (buffet, restaurants and lobby, grounds, pool, etc.) are attractive. The main pool area is nice and it has a water slide - great for the kids. There is also a really nice quiet pool on the far side of the lobby, past the beauty parlor. we liked this spot the best. The beach is wonderful, nice soft sand, warm turquoise water, lots of shade and loungers...the best feature is the Cuban people, they were all so polite and friendly and really interested if you were enjoying yourself, was everything OK, what can I do for you, etc.

These are the strengths of the resort ( our opinion of what we experienced last week) .
So what did we see as the weaknesses during our visit?
# 1 weakness for us was the food. I read reviews here all the time before going away and of course, the majority of Cuba resort reviews all say, "you don't go to Cuba for the food". And I use to think...its not just about the food, thats only a small part...you can always find something to eat.
We like to try new places and we've always wanted to try Cuba so it was, 'the heck with the food - lets check it out!" Well, I found out that food matters to me more than I previously thought!
Its not just that the food is bland - which it is but there is so little variety, salad is non-existent and fresh vegetables scarce. There were some tasty items throughout the week, soups were pretty good but only one soup choice daily that changed each day for about 3 days then rotated back again, the fresh breads / buns was excellent and I thought their desserts were pretty good but it was really the repetition of the meal choices, the same fruit and vegetable choices at every meal...a lot of your food choices were the same at breakfast, lunch and dinner (except of course the pancakes and eggs weren't at lunch / dinner) ..it all wore me down and by the 4th day I was beginning to dread going to eat. I think that the time of year certainly had an impact on the amount and variety of food in the buffet but I can only comment on what I had options for. My husband likes fish and there was lots of fresh fish, shrimps and other seafood choices so he enjoyed the meals more than I did but even he grew tired of it by the end. The coffee served in the buffet wasn't very good but the juices were good and they had teas available. The main lobby (which is a very short walk down the hall from the buffet) serve delicious cappaccinos, espresso's, lattes and Cafe Americano's...so we'd just go there after breakfast and enjoy one or two.
Even though we loved the resort and the people, we feel we would probably not go back to Cuba mainly because of the food and lack of variety - we found out food is more important to us than we initially thought. We don't know if we'd bother to try another Cuban resort because the majority of the reviews all mention the bland food and limited or lack of variety of foods and fresh vegetables. Who knows...maybe we'll change our mind down the road but for next year - back to Mexico for us.

We did one trip, to Havana, which was beautiful. I read in some reviews that the buildings in Old Havana are crumbling and in disrepair and they were but what I found fascinating about these old buildings was the amazing architecture...I could see beyond the current state and imagine the former beauty. Also, our guide informed us that the Cuban government is investing money in the repair of these old buildings and we did see some of the buildings in that process of refurbishment.
We also found out that local people in Havana will come up to up to take a picture with you then they want $$ for being in your picture!! - so be aware of this. Naive me...I thought they were just friendly. LOL We went to a restaurant in Havana and had a wonderfully delicious lunch for about $48.00, we had appetizers, main meal, dessert and capaccinos so we thought that at about $24.00 each it was very reasonably priced. very reasonable. The name of the restaurant is El Guajirito Restarante and our guide recommended it...great choice. I can't tell by the card what the address is but email; restaurante@elguajirito.com or phone 862 2760

TIPS:
We checked with staff at the hotel about brands to buy (and our tour guide also) for coffee and rum. They said that Havana Club rum (a little more expensive) is the more popular brand that gets purchased but the Cuban people prefer the taste of a rum called Santiago de Cuba (our guide said the taste is similar to Bacardi) which costs about $8.00 CUC (Cuban convertible peso) for a 26 oz,- you can get a 'micky' for about $3.00 - $5.00 CUC. The price of the rums also vary by age - the longer its aged the better the taste and the more expensive - although still a bargain compared to Canadian prices.
COFFEE, recommended brands were Serrano - medium roast and Cubita a dark roast - both are excellent and it costs $14.45 CUC for a 2 lb bag, they also come in 1 lb bags for about $7.50. My husband bought cigars in Havana.
P.S. we found out when we were looking in the duty free shop at the airport on departure, the same cigars were about $8.00 less at the airport!!! so buy them there.
The coffee and rum were the same price in the airport duty free as in Havana. The only advantage to buying rum / alcohol at duty free would be you can carry them on the plane and have less chance of breakage as you have can't take them in your carry-on, they have to be packed in the 'checked' luggage. (or weight in the case of the coffee if your suitcase is full)
You will notice where ever you go that the prices for things are pretty much the same - there doesn't seem to be any competition in prices between shops whether in town or at the gift shop...maybe they're set by the government? Also you can't really 'bargain ' like you can in Mexico, probably because Mexico starts out outrageously overpriced and then you barter down to - or closer to - what its really worth...Cuba just gives you the value at the 'get go'. LOL

I hope what I've shared is helpful to someone...I'd be happy to elaborate on the meals or anything else about the resort if you want to send me an email.

Room Tip: We were in building 12 - good location for the main pool and grille restaurant (when open). Its also...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
38 Thank turtleshell_10
Birmingham, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

As many other travelers mention, refurb/renovation work was going on and this had no adverse effect on our stay. There were only 100 people here at the time so we pretty much had the place to ourselves. Fantastic location, beach, sea etc. Staff were great, place was great. Food was poor. Never hot apart from the eggs (Cooked to order). Paella ordered one evening and informed it would have a 40 min wait. However it still arrived cold! If the hotel couldn't provide consistently hot food for so few guests what would it be like in the height of the season?

Minibar wasn't refilled until requested (Twice). No coffee for the in room machine until requested. When we did have coffee it took over an hour to percolate through.

An odd feeling in the place bit like Marie Celeste meets The Shining with food from a 1960's poor Spanish Hotel.

Entertainment staff seemed to outnumber us on the beach and had to be asked often to turn down the repetitive music.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Evarich
Whitby, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

Fabulous vacation!!! I just returned from staying at this reort from October 14 - October 21. Yes, the resort is currently under renovation, but they put us in the building that was already complete and you are not aware of any noise. At some point all hotels need some updating and I would rather see them taking care of the facilities rather than letting them fall apart. The resort is huge. The food was not great, I didn't expect it to be, I was in Cuba, if I wanted good food I would have travelled elsewhere. I went for the pool, the people and the beautiful beaches and I was not disappointed!!! The staff at the Blau are incredible, they went above and beyond for whatever I needed. The service staff were always smiling and got me whatever I asked for....of course I tipped them well as they deserved it. Cubans are the nicest people and treat you very respectfully, they deserve the same respect they give.

Every other night was buffet style dinner and the other nights were a la carte, not the best again, but you had a few choices on the menu. The lobby bar made the best drinks of all the bars in the hotel.

The pool was very clean and the bartenders at this bar were great!

We stayed in block 12, this came right out at the beach access and pool access, it very close to the main building and the outdoor buffet, we had an ocean view room...very nice and we always had fresh towels and sheets.

We hired a private taxi and guide and spent the day in Havana...what a spectacular city. I would recommend this over the bus tour as the guide will take you wherever you like and Nancy in the main lobby can arrange it for you. We paid 120 cuc for the entire day. If you go to Havana I highly recommend that you eat at La Casa, any taxi driver will know the place, a small little restaurant where you will get a delicious lobster dinner, that icludes a coctail, bread, dinner, cappucino and dessert for 20cuc.

We also swam with the dolphins, we just went for the swimming and skipped the sow, what an amazing experience...this is something that I would recommend that everyone does at least once in their life. it was worth the money and we had lots of one on one time with the dolphins.

I will definitely be returning to this resort!!!!

Room Tip: stay in block 12, or 14, right by the pool and ocean access!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Lisa B
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

We went there the week of September 27th 2012, this place is beautiful ! We went during renovations but that did not stop us from having a great trip, the workers were a treat and we unjoyed their company during our stay.
The room we had was ocean view and clean. 5 star for sure
The pools, clean and clean. 5 star
The food. Buffet was great with lots of options, and meat was cooked in front us by the chef. 5
Beach. your in Cuba. 5
Staff. 5
Beach Activities. great snorkelling and decent price. 5
This resort is huge with lots of walking if you want too and the staff treated us like family,would go back in a heart beat, only issues we had were the mosquitos but them we carry bug spray and that we were a little to far from the city of Varadero
Cheers and enjoy!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank jjengelmann
Dartmouth, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

My wife and I just returned from our 7th stay (16 to 23 Sept 12) at the Blau Marina Varadero Resort and had a wonderful time. This resort has become our second home, mainly due to the very friendly staff and the high level of service that they always provide. This is not the usual time of year that we visit (usually between Mar and May) and we knew before we booked that the resort was undergoing revitalization and that some of the facility was not available during our stay. This information was listed on the Air Canada Vacation website. When we landed, the service at the airport was excellent as usual and once the buses were loaded, they departed for the resorts. It takes longer to get to the resort due to the distance, but it is worth the wait. During the drive, the tour guide provides useful information on the culture and many of the excursions that are available during your stay.

Both ends of the resort were closed for the renovations and there were approximately 70 guests when we arrived. This allowed for even more attentive service than usual. All of the staff go out of their way to provide amazing service to all the guests and even more so this time since the number of guests was so low. The staff at the resort is one of
the main reasons that we keep returning. They always provide service with a smile and are extremely friendly and courteous. The women at guest relations, Kenia, Nancy and Viana are outstanding and have been since our first visit. They provided advance services to my wife via e-mail and followed through on everything after our arrival. Since that first visit, the service has improved even more. The front desk staff are always helpful and work to ensure that our every need is satisfied. The rooms are always clean and clean towels are provided daily. The mini bar is stocked daily and if you want more of something, just leave a note as they can't read your minds. The towels for the pool and beach were exchangeable at the front desk every day if required. There is a new General Manager Juan Miguel Mari Llabres who just took over when the Blau took over and he is working hard to oversee the changes to the resort. He was very nice and told us that we could talk to him at any time and that we could come to his office directly if required.

The location is one of the best features of this resort. Yes, it is the farthest resort from the town, but the double decker bus picks you up right at the gate of the resort for 5 pesos a day and in 45 minutes, you are at the far end of Varadero. The town itself is very safe with very few people that harass you to buy their goods. We have made friends with
a couple who work at the flea market. They have even invited us to their home for a meal. Cubans are very friendly people who strive to ensure that you enjoy your vacation on their island.

The up side to the distance from town is that the resort is right on the beach. From any part of the resort, you are no more than a 2 minute walk to the beach. The building are all open, there are glass doors that were installed in the main building a few years after the resort opened which are closed to keep out the rain and wind when required.

Due to the low number of guests, the selection at the buffet was not as much as it normally is during the peak season but there was always enough selection to satisfy anyone. My wife is selective about what she likes to eat and she has never gone hungry while staying at the resort. The staff in the buffet is always extremely friendly and very quick to
help in any way that they can. We have met so many really nice servers like Yaremis, Midiala and Nadia that it is always difficult to decide whose section to sit in for our meals. During our stay, every other night the buffet was closed and everyone dined in one of the a la carte restaurants. This was a very nice touch that was provided based on the low occupancy due to the reconstruction work.

Since we were there during the raining season, there was more standing water around than usual but there were very few mosquitoes. The standing water is treated with a chemical that controls the bugs and it seems to be very effective. During our stay, it only rained once during the day and that was only for a couple of minutes. The rest of the time, the
rain usually started at between 7 and 8 pm, which allowed for the full day on the beach or by the pool. During the peak season, it very seldom rains and when it does it normally only lasts for 10 or 20 minutes.

Even though there was no pool bar available this time, which we were aware of before we booked, it was only a short walk to the closed bar. The staff also provided pool side service if requested. Since this was not our usual time to visit, we enjoyed the quiet as the resort normally has more than 1000 guests during the peak season.

The excursions available are the same at all of the resorts. We always ensure that we attend the dolphin show and swim with the dolphins in the dolphin area. This is a 30 minute swim with the dolphins and lots of contact, not like the short time in the open ocean provided on the catamaran excursion. The jeep safari is also an excellent time. This involves driving a jeep, up to 4 persons to each jeep with a lead jeep containing the tour guide and a mechanic just in case something happens to one to the jeeps, in a convey of up to 10 other jeeps. During the day, you will snorkel on a coral reef, swim in a fresh water lake inside of a cave, enjoy a river cruise, an authentic Cuban lunch and visit an actual working ranch. The Havana excursion is also very nice and there are several to choose from depending on how long you want to stay in the city.

This resort has been excellent since our first visit and I can't see that changing now that Blau has taken over. My wife and I have already booked our next visit in Apr 13 for two weeks. I highly recommend that you visit this resort for yourself. For the other reviews that I have read, I can only say that if you look for things to complain about, you
will find them anywhere you travel. If you greet people with a smile and are courteous they will respond the same way. If you are rude to them, they will find it difficult to be courteous to you. Visit the resort for yourself, before you listen to the reviews. During our visits, we have seen some people that complain about everything and these must be the people that write most of the reviews. The vast majority of the people that we have talked to share the same opinion that we do and I would urge more people that have enjoyed this resort to share their own experiences by submitting a review.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Louis R
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

Staff were great. The room was normal. Food was ok (except the pizza, omeltte, and crepes were amazing).

The grounds are really nice, the pools were big but always freezing. They didn't mix the alcohol properly. One day my husband almost ate a finishing nail as it was in the winner. This was not my first time in Varadero, but I would not stay here agian. It was not the same great experience that I have received beofre from Varadero.

One night the couple in the room above us had a really crazy fight, there was furniture being thrown around, and the guy was yelling at the top of his lungs. Eventually (hours later) the police eventually showed up.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple