Iberostar Varadero
$222
$187
Cancelon
7,264 results
All reviewsstar friendsjapanese restaurantspa poollobby barfishwater poloa la carte restaurantssurf and turfjunior suiteevening entertainmententertainment staffmain buffetmain poolkids clubother resortswedding coordinatorfantastic holiday
Reviewed April 15, 2010

The sun was shining. The staff were amazing. The resort was beautiful. I attended a wedding and the staff catered to our every need. Carlos in the lobby bar is a true entertainer of the bar. The staff were great hosts. Check out the Mambo Club a short walk away. Very fun. Also very good golf close by. Rent the scooters, they are a blast. I had made many friends by the time I left. It's true the food was the same often but there was so much variety that if you are adventurous there is something new to try everyday. The rooms were kept well and stocked with beer and water. The entertainment was awesome. The pool area was vibrant and relaxing all in one. The Japanese restaurant was a great dining experience. Other a la carte was delicious and worthwhile. I recommend the Havana tour, but it is a long day. Do the boat tour to Cayo Blanco as well. Lobster is plentiful and wonderful. My mom went to a different resort earlier this year and did not have half the experience I did. If you want comfort and service this is the resort to choose.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Canadian_Cuba_Fan
Reviewed April 15, 2010

This was a vacation to remember...The hotel was immaculate, the service was out of this world, the entertainment was top notch. I don't think I can say anything but WOW!
We were their for a wedding and they did an outstanding job at having everything arranged and it ran without a hitch. Great Job to All!

• Stayed: April 2010
1  Thank Dusty711
Reviewed April 9, 2010

My wife and I just returned from a week stay at the Iberostar Varadero and had a great trip.

Food was very good with plenty of choice and availability. I'm gluten free and had no problems finding something to fill up my plate each meal. There was always the basics of meat, potatoes and veggies plus lots of fresh fruits. Lots of places to find drinks including the pool bar, two beach bars, lobby bar, snack bar and entertainment bar plus fridge was well stocked. Pool bar had great banana daiquiri's in the morning. Lots of places to find food too including the buffet, beach grill, snack bar and speciality restaurants.

Facility was clean and quiet. There seemed to be someone cleaning all the time around the resort. Service was excellent as we never had to wait for any food or drinks..there was never more then 2 or 3 people in line to get food at the speciality sites ie eggs or more then 1 or 2 people at the bars in line...quite often there was no wait at all. We felt that tips weren't expected but were appreciated...service was good whether we tipped or not. Staff seemed more professional then in other sites we've stayed at in Cuba...there wasn't the constant asking to have your swim trunks or sun hat or buy cigars that we have seen elsewhere. Plus the staff seemed to speak better english then elsewhere. Really staff was friendly and seemed to enjoy being there.

Electrical..there was a built in converter in the bathroom sink outlet. I didn't have anything with me electrical so didn't try it. Hairdryer was there and worked fine.

No problems with bugs at the resort or on the beach.

Room was spacious and well cleaned. We left items for the maid and received a thank you from her.

I was blackberry, cell and laptop free on this trip however there seemed to be data, cell and wireless coverage at this resort. Saw a number of guys with bb's and laptops on the go. Lobby internet was 10 peso's per hour and was actually relatively fast.

Beach was very nice....better on the right side of the property however. There was also hammocks set up under shade on the right side of the property behind the sand dunes. No problems getting chairs, hammocks anytime of the day...lots available. We didn't hang out around the pool but there always seemd to be chairs available there too.

Rum was cheaper at the resort however cigars seemed cheaper at the airport.

People at the resort were mosty couples (usually older) and families of all ages. Seemed to be the usual assortment of russians, british and canadians. Definitely children friendly place.

This was the third resort we have stayed at in Cuba and definitely was the best so far. Would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank saltydawgs
Reviewed April 9, 2010

This was just about the best hotel experience I have had . Food was excellent. Staff were welcoming and friendly. Grounds beautufull and Rooms were lovely.I would recommend this hotel without hesitation.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lobo177
Reviewed April 8, 2010

Does this resort deserve the five star rating that most seem to generously give it on TA? If I have to be honest, then the answer is no. If you are well travelled, you might agree with me that this resort is closer to a four star. I provide my reasons below.

Beach - the beach was sadly narrow or should I say eroded by the ocean and very poorly groomed. The ocean itself was amazing and above average compared to other islands. There was lots to do at the beach...paddle boats, kayaks, and catamarans. Go and see Junior. He will take you on a fifteen to twenty catamaran minute ride to a cool snorkelling spot for about an hour for a total of 20 pesos per person. He will supply the gear and food to feed the hundreds of fish. Beach bar service was excellent. Samuel, the bartender, was friendly and excellent. Many other beach bar staff will approach you to take your drink order(s) directly from your lounge chair. If you want to be really lazy, this is the place to be. There are other designated beach staff that will assist you in selecting as many lounge chairs as you like, placing them where you like, and then placing and tucking your towel for you on the chair. I can't say enough how amazing the service is at this resort.

Food - you won't starve, BUT... I hope you are not going to Cuba for the cuisine. The buffet was extremely repetitive. First the pros: the breads, the small cute desserts, and anything you can find that wasn't cooked seven times over. If you prefer that your animal proteins resemble shoe leather, then you will be in heaven. The fruit was plentiful but seldom ripe, and seemed to be picked prematurely. Don't get me wrong I probably gained a few pounds, but the mojitos and banana mamas "con mas ron" were probably more to blame. The best speciality restaurant was the Japanese (entertaining and tasty). The Mediterranean came in second, but only because most of the meals were overcooked including the lobster (such a shame). You probably think I am exaggerating, but I'll let you find out for yourself.

Entertainment - Above average, not Vegas, but very good and worth going to see nightly.

Service - Exceeded expectations! Staff are extremely hungry to earn a tip and will go above and beyond the call of a duty to earn a convertible peso.

Animation Team- Non-stop entertainment on the beach and by the pool. Lots to do and many bottles of Ron to win.

Facility - As you will find out, Cuba's infrastructure is eroding and many buildings are extremely dated and would welcome an extreme makeover. From what I understand, this venue is probably rated higher than most. But be realistic, this is no five star resort.

Accommodations - Fairly standard for a 4 star type all-inclusive.

Tips - Disturbingly, the average Cuban earns approximately 20 to 30 pesos per month. Therefore, one peso goes a long way to putting a smile on someone's face. I understand from speaking with various staff that used clothing and basic necessities such as soap and shampoo is extremely appreciated.

Excursions: Many excursions are available. My wife and I booked the Havana Day Trip (8:00am to 6:30/7:00pm). It was quite the experience to say the least. You see the best (Old Havana), the worst, and the ugly part of Cuba, which is mainly attributable to the poverty and decaying infrastructure. It is a long day, but worth the trip.

Overall impressions:
My wife and I have travelled to many resorts in the Caribbean, and have been on ten cruises, mainly in the Caribbean and Europe. I really liked this resort because of the outstanding service, ocean, and entertainment. I disliked the narrow poorly groomed beach, and the bland poorly prepared food. At the end of the day, you will undoubtedly like many more things than you will dislike at this resort. Personally, I am not sure if I will return to Cuba anytime soon, but only because there are many other places to see. Have fun on your trip!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family