Iberostar Varadero
Ranked #3 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed January 30, 2014

This was my fifth holiday at the Iberostar Varadero since 2009. My partner and I enjoyed every minute spent at this great hotel complex.
The facilities, staff and food quality have improved over the years and the 3 a la carte theme restaurants were all excellent in their own individual way as usual. The fish choices and lobster in the “Mediterranean” were excellent and the “Japanese” food and entertainment was also top quality. Last but not least the “International” which is situated in the second buffet restaurant by the pool was very good with freshly cooked food to order, a better option than the main Buffet (no criticism here). The main Buffet restaurant is to be commended with an excellent range of food options at breakfast, lunch and dinner.
The beach is probably one of the best in the world and is easily accessed from the pool area, sun beds and umbrellas/shade was plentiful.
The hotel gardens are a real pleasure and are always beautifully maintained. We stayed in block 13 (ground floor) overlooking the garden and fountains, blocks 13, 14 and 15 are the quietest blocks and still just a short stroll from the main hotel areas. The room was very well appointed, clean and well maintained and in fact couldn’t be faulted, the room maid kept the room spotless during our stay and she also entertained daily with her clever towel art.
I had complained about the "over the top" pool entertainment in my last review which so nearly stopped me going again, I'm glad it didn't as it seemed to have been "toned down" and was perfectly acceptable, the evening entertainment was very good too generally.So overall an excellent hotel, this is the only hotel I would stay at in Varadero, so --- see you soon --- I hope.

Room Tip: Blocks 13, 14, and 15 are definately the quietest blocks and still only a short stroll from thr &quo...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bobandsash1
JefedeAlojamiento, Manager at Iberostar Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2014

It seems you had an excellent stay and enjoyed what we had to offer.
It is a true pleasure and very rewarding for all of us here to read feedback like yours which really reflects how great was your stay,we thank you too for keep returining and for your loyalty towards us which we appreciate very much.
Thank you very much again for your kind review,we do hope to welcome you back soon
FHerran RDM

Write a ReviewReviews (6,935)

Reviewed January 29, 2014

My family and I stayed at the Iberostar Veradero between January 20th - 27th, and we loved every minute of it. My party consisted of four adults and our eleven month old son, and we were visiting from Vancouver, British Columbia. During our stay, we found the staff to be OUTSTANDING with us and our son. Not a single need of ours went unmet, and we found the facility, pool, and beach to be in fantastic shape.

Below I will try to cover off all of the main points of the resort. If you have any questions, please feel free to send me a message here and I will be sure to answer it the best that I can!

CHECK-IN:

Previous to attending this resort, I read some negative reviews pertaining to the check-in process. I have nothing but POSITIVE things to say about the check-in process, as I found it efficient, fast, and the desk staff to be very friendly and happy. We were greeted with a tropical drink, and were escorted to our rooms in Building 17 within twenty minutes or so.

THE RESORT / ROOM / POOL / BEACH:

My wife, my infant son, and I stayed in a second floor junior suite at Building 17. The building itself is well maintained and clean. There are no elevators, which made for a little bit of grief dealing with our heavier baby stroller. Luckily, it was nothing we could not manage ourselves. I did find myself thinking of disabled guests who cannot take the stairs, and was curious how the hotel caters to them if the first floor rooms are all taken. Regardless, we saw many guests in wheel chairs and they all seemed happy.

The room itself was perfect, and the hotel staff had a crib in the room for our son. The king bed was very firm, much to my happiness and my wife's dismay. There was a fully stocked mini-fridge with Cuban pop (orange, lime, cola) and Cuban beer (Cristal and Bucaneero). The room had a wall-mounted flat screen TV, a couch, coffee table, desk, hair dryer, etc. The bathroom had a very nice shower facility and seperate bath tub. The bath rub was a Godsend for giving our son his night time baths.

We read reviews about bugs in the rooms, but I need to say this was not the case for us. The only bug bites we received were from these small flies that come out in the early evening outside of the resort. The bites were similar to mosquito bites here at home, and while itchy, vanished within a few hours to a few days.

The pool was chilly, but very refreshing. The pool setup is perfect for a family with young children, as it starts on one end with maybe two inches of water, and progresses to nearly five feet in depth. Needless to say, my son loved splashing in the shallow end of the pool. The staff at the pool bar were energetic and happy to serve - one of the female staff members even taught my son how to blow kisses!

The beach was very nice with white sand, although the sand was full of shells and rocks. The hotel clearly grooms the beach every day, but it would be impossible to keep the beach clear of ocean debris with the waves rolling in. The water is crystal blue and generally warmer than the pool.

I purchased one hour of WiFi from the front desk for $10 CUC, and that hour lasted me my whole trip. I used the WiFi to check and send e-mails from my iPhone, and the time stops and starts with each log in / log out. WiFi is not available in your individual room, but rather, only in the lobby. WiFi is slow at the resort, but really, who cares? You're on vacation - send an email or two to your family to update them then get back to the pool or beach.

THE BOOZE:

The house wines are nice, and the bars are fully stocked with alcohol brands we usually see here in Canada. Where they do not have certain specific brands (ie: Captain Morgan, Bailey's, etc), they have Spanish brands which taste EXACTLY the same. For those of you who enjoy Captain Morgan Spiced Rum or Sailor Jerry's Rum, try the Havana Club Reserve Rum, which tastes like spiced rum.

The resort carried the two Cuban national brand beers, but if you go off the resort you can find other brands, such as Corona, etc. You will not find American or Canadian brand beers anywhere (at least, from what I saw).

RESTAURANTS & FOOD:

We found the food at the resort DELICIOUS. Full of flavor and plentiful. I don't understand why people complain about the food or offer silly advice, such as "bring your own ketchup" or "bring your own salt". This resort had plenty of condiments and spices, so just bring your appetite.

The buffet was always a sure bet, with an assortment of foods (pizza, cheese, sushi, soups, sandwiches, etc). I loved the sugar donuts in the morning - they went well with the amazing coffee they serve. There is also a mini-buffet called the Snack Bar near the pool which offered some of the highlight foods from the main buffet. Great place to grab a mid-afternoon snack if you are peckish.

The beach side grill was one of my go-to places for lunch. Orlando at the grill cooks up some mean burgers and hot dogs. Orlando seems very serious and all business, but once you start talking with him you see that he has a great personality!

We enjoyed the Japanese restaurant, however, we found portions with the appetizers (especially the rolls) to be small. Coming from Vancouver, where sushi restaurants outnumber the local Starbucks, perhaps we were a little critical... but the main course was plentiful. Our infant son was highly entertained by the chef's show (especially the steam and flames). My son's reaction had our entire table and the entire service staff laughing.

The international restaurant was decent, and offered some great seafood choices. I enjoyed the salmon while my mother-in-law enjoyed the red snapper. Delicious fish, but my wife was not impressed with the steak.

The mediteranean restaurant was a favourite - try the lobster!!! So good!

STAFF THAT MADE AN IMPACT:

Every time one stays at a resort such as this, certain members of the staff stand out as going above and beyond their duties. I like to mention these people, not just to share with you readers, but also in the hopes management at the resorts will read this review and perahps offer a compliment or reward to the staff. The staff I would like to recognize here are as follows:

Orlando (Beach Grill) - thank you for the amazing burgers and hot dogs. Keep on grilling!

Ricardo (Buffet) - you were so great with our son, and we enjoyed hearing about your beautiful family as well. Thank you so much for all you did for us, and for making my son laugh so much.

Mabel (Buffet) - you always greeted us with a big smile and and made us feel so welcomed. Our son loved you as much as you loved him, and I think he misses you at dinner time!

Suset (Buffet) - you were always so happy to serve us and were always so pleasant to talk to. My son developed a bit of a crush on you, as was clear by his huge smile and sticking his tongue out at you every morning when he saw you! Thank you so much for all you did for us!

CONCLUSION:

I think I covered off everything about the resort... you will enjoy your stay, with or without children.

Some tips - take a day tour to Havana. The history, the culture, and the people are something you need to experience at least once in your life. I also went on the jeep safari tour, and found it to be so much fun.

If anybody reading this has any questions, just drop me a line and I'll answer the best I can!

Room Tip: We found Building 17 was a great distance from all of the ammenities.
10  Thank tbone604
JefedeAlojamiento, Manager at Iberostar Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

It seems you had an excellent stay and enjoyed what we had to offer.
It is a true pleasure and very rewarding for all of us here to read feedback like yours which really reflects how great was your stay,we thank you for your honest words and we thank you too for helping clarify that we do not have or had in the past bedbugs at all, thus we take sanitation and hygene very serious around here since we know the importance of it.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

In comparison to Turkey and Egypt (where I have stayed 5 star before) and the things I have heard about Mexico, as a comparison you may feel this hotel (the building, facilities and room decor) is not 5 star.

However if you are looking for some warm winter sun in a beautiful country, with fantastic culture, people and 6* service then this is the place to come!

We traveled to Cuba as a Family of 7, the oldest 82 and the youngest 8. We stayed in Havana for 3 nights and arrived in Varadero on Sunday 5th January. On arrival at the hotel we were greeted by the porters who promptly removed our suitcases from the bus and then showed us to reception to check in. Once checked in the porter directed us to our room and said he would meet us there with our luggage. On arriving at our rooms the porter unloaded our suitcases and then showed us the amenities in our room and how to operate the air conditioning etc. Not just a porter, thank you for a fantastic welcome.

We arrived mid morning and the maids were still around cleaning the rooms. We sat our Grandfather in the Sun just outside our rooms while we unpacked. Within minutes he had been greeted by the maids and they were making sure he was comfortable where he was sat. Over the duration of our holiday our day maid Marilin from Block 20 couldn't do enough to make sure we had everything we needed during our stay. Nothing was too much trouble. Our room was always cleaned to the highest standard. During the evenings we had a night maid Lisbey who would always give us fresh towels and remake our beds. Even though we didn't see her very often she always left us lovely messages to come back too. Once again a fantastic service.

Every morning without fail apart from his day off we were greeted by the Gardner Jasmel. During our holiday he made us an array of gifts including a hat, humming birds, grasshoppers and a frog all beautifully crafted out of palm leaves. Thank you for looking after us and keeping the gardens and grounds in immaculate condition.

The pools were also cleaned every morning. During our second week the hotel had a problem with the cleaning products they were using in the pool and the water went cloudy. They promptly emptied the pool, cleaned, repainted and put new lights up and refilled it within 48 hours and then moved onto the next pool. There are 5 pool areas so even when this happened there was plenty of places to swim.

While you are around the pool the bar staff will visit you at your sunbed and refresh your drinks for you. Once again we would like to personally thank Ellenis who not only brought us drinks but knew our names and always asked if we were ok and having a good day and to Adel Medina who provided the same fantastic service when you were on the beach.

During the day and night there is plenty of entertainment, for both children and adults. Prizes for winning a game is often a bottle of rum which makes it even more enjoyable. The entertainment staff provided a fantastic service. Once again on a personal level getting to know you, your name and where you were from. We would like to thank Jennifer and Yalin in particular with love from the sisters from Wales.

If you are traveling with children there is no where to buy a lilo so take one with you along with a bucket and spade etc.

We ate in two out of the three A La Cart restaurants which both offered great food, a great experience and great service. However for us as a family nothing was better than the main buffet restaurant. For a large family of 7 they could always accommodate one big table for us and we never had to wait for a table.

There is a massive array of food available. Every day you had the following choices, fresh warm bread, soup, salad, multiple pasta dishes, multiple pizzas, selection of cooked meat freshly carved, selection of main courses with sauces, vegetables, rice, potatoes, chips, massive array of desserts, fruit and ice cream.

The service in the main buffet restaurant was out of this world. We were greeted every night by Marbelle who welcomed us into the restaurant with open arms and kisses. We were then shown to our table and looked after by the other restaurant staff. Your drinks order would be immediately taken and topped up when empty and likewise your plate when finished was promptly taken away. Staff were always close to hand and nothing was too much trouble for them. We would personally like to thank Restaurant Manager Valaria and her team Suset, Judith, Elleny, Ricard and Richardo. You truly made our holiday a memorable one. Thank you!

The hotel has a small cigar bar located by the shops and pool tables. This is run bar Marilyn and Ariel. Marilyn is the cigar sommelier and Ariel runs the bar. My grandfather is a big lover of cigars and loved hearing Marilyn's wealth of knowledge on cigars. Ariel makes the best Pina Colada in the hotel. Marilyn and Ariel made us feel so welcome that we spent every evening in the cigar bar. It offers a great atmosphere with world class service. Thank you both for looking after us so well. We will never forget you!

The staff in the hotel earn approx 15 CUC or £10 per month! If you feel you have received good service from a member of staff then you should tip them individually. I also wish I had taken a suitcase full of perfume, shampoo, shower gels and clothes with me that I could have left the staff. They are allowed to accept gifts from you as long as the gifts you leave them are not sold in the hotel. We visited a local supermarket and the shampoo was 6 CUC a bottle!

The staff that we had got to know well we left gifts of what we could. I left half my sons wardrobe to those who had children.

Thank you to all the staff at the Iberostar Varadero for making this a truly memorable holiday.

We will never forget you!

13  Thank CarlyH7

It seems you had an excellent stay and enjoyed what we had to offer.
We will make sure to pass on your comments about our property and we are thrilled that you had such a remarkable time with all of us. it is a true pleasure and very rewarding for all of us here to read feedback like yours which really reflects how great was your stay, we are very glad that you made so many new frineds here at the hotel and that your family felt that good amongst us.
We are looking forward welcoming you back here very soon.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Stayed at the Iberostar Varadero for the third time Jan 17-24th 2014. This is our home away from home and would just like to thank all the staff for their hard work and generosity. We miss you all already...Samuel, Armando, Deysi, Lisy, Arlene, Marcello (aka Pitbull), Allan and Reiner from the Lobby bar. Also we would like to mention Lea, Leo (aka BBoy), Lee, Oz, Jennifer, Nuri and Mannie the Star Animation Team you are all great people and thank you for entertaining us we had such a great time.
Thank you Iris at the front desk for accommodating us on a room switch as we do prefer to be in building 19.
We would also like to thank Francisco for making us feel welcome and taking the time to listen to our comments and feedback on what is great about the hotel and what can be improved you are a great manager.
Thank you once again Iberostar Varadero for making our trip an amazing one and giving our son an amazing first trip to Cuba. He can't wait to come back.

Your friends,
D&J&M

5  Thank giffer69

It seems you had an excellent stay and enjoyed what we had to offer.
It is a true pleasure and very rewarding for all of us here to read feedback like yours which really reflects how great was your stay, it was really a pleasure to meet you all although it was not your first time with us.
We are looking forward welcoming you back here very soon.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

We really looked forward to spending time with our son and his family at this resort. The property was very well maintained and comfortable. The pools/beach met all of our requirements, in fact, they were excellent. Staff are attentive and we had an absolutely excellent bar waitress (Ellie) who made our stay even better...a wonderful sense of humour and very responsive to our needs. We were surprised by the in-room bar restrictions. Having family along, would necessitate a few more beverages. However, asking for 4, rather than 2 beer, for example proved to be contrary to Resort policy. I would stay away from the Japanese restaurant....there was nothing reminiscent, other than decor, that would suggest this was Japanese fare. The buffet was average. Unfortunately, 3 out of the 5 of us got diarrhea which resulted in being side lined for 2 days. Even though my wife and I both had taken Dukoral for many years, we still had problems as did our daughter-in-law. In summary, the facilities were excellent, the food and room service was average.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Paul L
JefedeAlojamiento, Manager at Iberostar Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Dear guests
It seems you had an excellent stay and enjoyed what we had to offer.
We are sorry to hear that you were dissapointed with our minibar although we have standards just like in every hotel chain and have to be followed and respected, under request we might serve more although f&b outlets provide this. we are sorry to hear that you got stomach sick during your holidays athough this could be due too to several other circumstances. we have a great medical team in house as well as a great PR department who would have taken care of you if we are noticed about this on time.
For advice do report this so we can take measures during your stay.
We hope and look forward having you back with us,

Reviewed January 24, 2014

We happened to miss the -30C weather at home but could not escape the deep winter freeze in Cuba at 15C. ;) but really, the place shuts down at that temperature. It was very windy so we could not go into the sea as all the beaches were closed the entire time we were there but that allowed us to really explore all that the resort had to offer besides the beach.
Starting with the pool, the water was still cold but didn't stop us from swimming. It is large and pleasant to be around and in. Like most resorts, the pools are shallow and clean. Poolside there are enough loungers for everyone and the resort staff was cognizant of the beach closures and brought most of the loungers from the beach to the poolside which gave everyone enough space. The music at the pool bar was just the right volume. The people around the pool were all family oriented and respectful of each other till we had a couple from Canada who was celebrating her birthday (she was loud enough that everyone knew). They were totally drunk and very disrespectful with their language and their loudness. Despite her having her own kids at home, she did not care that there are other children around when she continued to yell/swear. I was surprised that the hotel management did not respond to this or the loud beat box that was blaring music with enough swearing to make a grown man blush. Luckily that was the only bad incident of the trip.
The staff at the front desk was excellent. When we arrived our rooms were ready and the staff knew who we were and it was a great reception. The rooms were clean and very spacious. We had the junior suite and it was nice with two young kids and us. The bathroom was large and always clean and stocked with fresh towels (twice a day maid service who made towel animals which the kids really enjoyed).
The grounds are very well kept. The kids club is good. The staff there was very pleasant and really tried to be creative despite having bad weather. The kids had a great time at the club and the mini-disco at 8 in the theatre.
The food was average resort food. The buffet was good. The food at the Japanese was below average (like any other resort). The Cuban place was average. La Dorado which is the Mediterranean place was good. The lobster and fish combo was above average. We went there twice during the stay.
The other great thing about his resort was how it didn't feel packed. It was a good size where you're not with the same people all the time (imagine seeing the couple from the pool everywhere) but at the same time you could get reservations and tables at the bar and in the restaurant at most times. We made our last reservation on that day.
Our favourite hangout was the cigar lounge. Besides the great high quality but fair-priced cigars, the staff (Ariel and Marilyn) are amazing. Great drinks and very accommodating. Marilyn is a cigar sommelier and knows all about cigars. A great resource. Skip the very very average nightly entertainment and go to the cigar bar.
I have not mentioned much about the beach as it was very windy during our stay but it looks beautiful. Although there seem to be a lot of jellyfish on the beach.
The best feature of this resort was the staff. Every single person from the groundskeepers to the maid to the activity staff to the waiters and the bar tenders, everyone was extremely nice and sincere whether you tipped them or not.
I would go back to this resort again when back in Cuba. BTW, the cold kept the bugs away so none of us got bit (the person who wrote about bed bugs is crazy. I have never heard of bed bugs only biting on the lower legs).
Go without hesitation, you will enjoy.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank world_MD

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.
It seems you had an excellent stay and enjoyed what we had to offer. We strive to adhere to our guests every need above and beyond their expectations and I hope this is what you encountered with us.
It is a true pleasure and very rewarding for all of us here to read feedback like yours which really reflects how great was your stay,we are sorry though for the scenes that you have said to witness at the pool although for your information management is present at all times through continous walks around the areas where if misbehaviour is seen management would have a word with these guets as we have done in past moments, we are sorry that you have been annoyed by them, we will keep a closer look as well as for the music where we try to keep it down so it does not disturb others although keeping a balance is required.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

Recently returned from our trip to Cuba where we stayed at the Iberostar Varadero. We have been to this hotel so many years that we have lost count, but we believe it was10 years at this resort. Once again it has not disappointed us. For us it is like coming home. We were welcomed so graciously by all the staff. It was wonderful to see our friends we have known for years as well to meet new ones. The staff go out of their way to make you and your trip special. Enjoyed our morning cappuccino with our 3 beautiful and entertaining friends which started our day off great. The entertainment people work so hard during the day and even though we have done most of the day activities we still participate in a few because we enjoy the fun. As well, even though we have seen the evening shows numerous times, we still enjoy them immensely as they always put on a great show. Although the Iberostar Varadero is not a new hotel, we have seen over the years how much they have done to improve it with the kids play structure, the addition of the shutters, and recently an overhaul of the main pool. Don’t let the age fool you. You will always find great food at the buffet and at the A la Cartes. Our friends are too many to name them all but here is a shout out to a few that contributed to another great vacation: Adel, Alex, Yaris, Allan, Marcello, Charlie, Marilyn, Arlene, Samuel, Rainer, Armando, Carlos and Emna. It was also a great pleasure to meet Francisco. Thank you all and see you next year!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Lorenzoandbrandygirl
JefedeAlojamiento, Manager at Iberostar Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2014

It seems you had an excellent stay and enjoyed what we had to offer.
It is a true pleasure and very rewarding for all of us here to read feedback like yours which really reflects how great was your stay,and we really thank you too for keep returning to our beautiful property, your unconditional loyalty means a lot to all of us here as well as it was a very special pleasure to have met you both.
Kindest regards