“Cuba” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
north yorks
“Cuba”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

Spent ten days here after Havana , lovely clean hotel food good but a little boring . Three restaurants better but same menu each night. Staff very friendly beach lovely . Enjoyed it very much but perhaps ten days too long

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank alfie08
JefedeAlojamiento, Rooms Division Manager at Iberostar Varadero, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
It seems you had an excellent stay and enjoyed what we had to offer.
We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us although you found it little boring regardless of our entertainment staff.
Thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you back soon
FHerran RDM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (931)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

We returned from our 2nd visit to this fantastic resort this week. Again we couldn't fault a thing. We caught up with most of the staff that we met last year who treated us like we were family. Everything was fabulous, we went to celebrate our wedding anniversary and we were given champagne in our room on the day of our anniversary and the staff in the restaurants decorated our table at breakfast and dinner with flowers and beautiful napkin art. This is a beautiful complex and would highly recommend it to anyone. All the staff from the gardners to the managers work so hard to make sure you have a fantastic stay and will do anything they can for you without expecting anything in return. We tipped frequently even though the staff do not expect this and it does not affect the service if you do not, but it is nice to reward the service. We are looking at returning again next year as it has everything you can ask for in a holiday. The front line staff are a credit to this hotel and make it such a great place. Hope to see you again next year. K&T Flood Manchester

5 Thank Tony F
JefedeAlojamiento, Rooms Division Manager at Iberostar Varadero, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear guest
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. It seems you had an excellent stay and enjoyed what we had to offer. We strive to adhere to our guests every need above and beyond their expectations and I hope this is what you encountered with us.
We are very glad that you really enjoyed your anniversary with us and we hope your joy goes on forever.
Thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you back soon
Brampton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

Our family chose this Resort for our family vacation this year and it was an excellent choice!! The hotel and staff were all great. The staff made us feel at home and they were very helpful and accommodating. The food was excellent with a lot of variety to choose from. Everyday was different foods from breakfast, lunch, dinner and desserts. We visited the three other Restaurants and the food was enjoyable as well. The live entertainment was fabulous as well. We have two children ages 6 and 8 and they had plenty to do during the day. They loved the pool activities and the beach and the Water Park. We made a lot of friends along the way and was sad to leave. We will definitely recommend this Resort without hesitation. This Resort we found to be family friendly and the adults had a great time too!!!! We visited the market on 15th Street and bought souvenirs for our family and friends. We found a lot of hand made items at the market. Our room was located at unit 19 and it was close to everything. The rooms were kept clean and the hotel grounds were maintained on a daily basis.

We are hoping to visit this Resort again. I have very high expectations and don't have anything negative to say about this Resort.

I hope everyone who visits this Resort has a very pleasant experience and enjoys their vacation as much as we did.

I give five stars to the Staff, food, entertainment, accommodations, cleanliness and up keeping of the resort. The resort is nicely set up and easy to find everything and it helps when you have helpful staff.

This was my first time to Cuba and don't regret going there!!!

Patti T from Canada

Room Tip: We stayed at number 19 and it was close to all amenities.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank Patti T
JefedeAlojamiento, Rooms Division Manager at Iberostar Varadero, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
It seems you had an excellent stay and enjoyed what we had to offer.
We really appreciate your constructive feedback and your kind comments about our hard and fully dedicated staff , thus by reading these kind of posts we realise how great is to look after our guests, we will make certain we pass your comments to our staff.
Dublin Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

Just back from our vacation to Cuba. Stayed 5 nights in the Iberostar Praque Central in Havana and could not say anything negative about this Hotel ~ Staff, Room, Restaurants, Food Quality ~ It was all excellent of very high standard.
Iberostar Varadero I wish I could say the same about this hotel.
Hotel ~ I could not say anything negative here, as the areas of Reception, Pools, Grounds, Beach where all kept to a very high standard, the standard bed-room was a very good size and of a good standard, the only fault I would say let the room down was the ' Bed Linen' was not of a 5* Resort standard. It was worn/tired looking.
Staff ~ The majority of the staff working at this hotel was very committed to its customers.
BUT ie the porters that brought our luggage to our room, where very over-powering re there 'tips' they walked into our bedroom with the luggage but they where not leaving without getting money. We stated to them 'we had no change' then was asked 'where we came from' and they stated to us they would take 'Euros' I really did
take offence to a porter telling a customer of the hotel 'we had to pay them euro's' ~ tipping to me is 'Optional' not 'Manditory' thing. A customer has a choice to do so or not do so.
ALSO the lady working at the ' Customer Service Desk' I am not saying 'reception desk' was anything but happy in her job. This is the person you have to deal with, when booking the hotels 3 selected restaurants for another dinner option apart from the Buffet restaurant. She was so bored/un-interested in her role ~ it came across when you where dealing with her.
Everything was a burden to her, showed no enthusiasm to encouraging you to pick a specific restaurant. I would even say that we where told lies ... one day we tried to book a specific restaurant for a night in advance, was told that it was closed' and then subsequently on that night we walked over to find out that it was open. I when back the next day to the 'Desk' and tried to book that same restaurant again,to be told a second time it was closed. When I address the issue of the other night, being told the restaurant was closed but yet it was open, I got only a rude response, then was told 'she was not on duty'. I absolutely nearly flipped at this point, as this is not acceptable from staff working in a 5* Resort.
Restaurants ~ there is a Buffet Restaurant, which I would say not of a very high standard for a 5* resort ~ I have had far better on other occasions.
The Waiters/Waitresses where excellent ~ very helful/chatty/friendly/kind etc could not say that about the 'chefs' dealing with the food. Unhelpful ~ The variety of food and quality of the food was not great and always quite cold. We tried to avoid the Buffet restaurant by booking one of the 3 selected restaurants, but this did not work for us ~ as half of our week one of the restaurants was closed as we where told. We had only one option left as the third option was Japanise which is not of our liking.
The Selected restaurant we had to eat in for approx 5 out of the 7 nights, never changed its menu, Which had a very small selection, never changed the soup starter or the dessert display. (which was very poor and no options). By the end of the week I never wanted to see or drink ' lobster' soup again, or see such a bad display of desserts.
Entertainment: Was OK it was somewhere to go at night, but I would not say of a high standard. The management of the Iberostar Chain should look at the entertainment which are on the 5* cruise liners. To get tips of how to presents shows.

You would think from all I have written above, that we had a dreadful holday. we did very much enjoy our trip to Cuba. But I am only stating facts that we found re the Hotel Iberostar Varadero.

Room Tip: Upgrate to suite is 40 CuC a night, we stayed in standard room and it was very good Block 19 was...
2 Thank Caroline F
JefedeAlojamiento, Rooms Division Manager at Iberostar Varadero, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience.
Just a quick note we leave thos items in rooms as they are part of our standard.
We are sorry to hear your comments about our porter service and our PR staff as they are always inmaculate at their tasks and that is why these assocciates are carrying out such a tasks, anyhow we thank you for those comments and be certain that it will be assessed by management.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

I got married in Sept 2013 and my husband and I were uncertain of which resort to celebrate our special day. After carefully looking through the reviews of Cuban resorts we decided on the Iberostar Varadero.. We have no regrets! The staff were wonderful, food was good, night entertainment was spectacular, the weather perfect and beaches breathtaking. Our wedding coordinator did a wonderful job! Thanks to Belkis! If you are looking for a wedding photographer you should use Alex. It is more cost efficient to hire a local photographer. You can google him.
Again, choose this resort if you want a relaxing vacation.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Emily N
It seems you had an excellent stay and enjoyed what we had to offer.
We are very glad that you really enjoyed your wedding with us and we hope your joy goes on forever.
Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

We have just returned from a fantastic stay at the Iberostar Varadero, I would highly recommend the hotel, we felt the most relaxed we have done in years!!

We travelled with Thomas Cook, our rep Jesus was amazing, a really nice guy who was always happy to have a chat and really helped us fit in all the excursions we wanted to do. We were sad to say goodbye!

Rooms are a good size, we had a great view overlooking the ocean from the top floor (request this when you book!) The maid Lourdes left our room spotless and made different shapes with the towels everyday and occasionally beautiful flowers too.

The grounds are kept immaculately clean and well maintained, the gardeners made little birds out of a leaf on a flower to give to me which was really beautiful. The pool area and bar is nice and there are always plenty of sunbeds for everyone, it never felt crowded.

Service in the bars is spot on - your drink is never empty! Charlie at the beach bar was always happy to bring drinks to us on the beach and always had a smile on his face. The beach is stunning - we spent most of our free time there, again lots of space and staff will help you with your sun loungers to find the perfect spot.

Food in the Japanese restaurant was outstanding - do not leave without at least one trip there! We're sorry we only made it in there once! Buffet was pretty standard, reasonable selection - remember Cuba is not known for it's great food but I am a fussy eater and was well fed at every meal.

The entertainment staff work very hard all day putting on all kinds of activities from Salsa to shooting, aqua aerobics to Spanish lessons and even some great beach / pool games to take part in (winner sometimes gets a bottle of rum). If you are looking to do a day trip to Havana I would recommend speaking to the entertainment staff who can advise you on the cheapest and best ways of getting there.

A great resort, lovely people, picturesque beaches - no wonder we can't wait to get back!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Victoria G
It seems you had an excellent stay and enjoyed what we had to offer.
We are delighted with your comments nd we wuill continue to set this standard of service so we are you are capable to accommodate your needs further.
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Iberostar Varadero resort for our honeymoon October 2013, and I think we couldn’t have enjoyed it more. On our last trip to Cuba, we stayed at a two-star resort so I can honestly say we’ve experienced both ends of the resort spectrum. Maybe the two-star experience gave us rose-coloured glasses when reviewing the Iberostar Varadero, but we are usually ridiculously snobby in our regular lives and wouldn’t hesitate to point out any perceived flaws.

-The resort seemed extremely well-maintained and very clean. When we returned to our room each afternoon, we could smell the cleaner used to mop the floors and wipe down all the flat surfaces.
Some reviews mention birds and flies in the dining areas, but I didn’t notice anything other than a couple of birds that accidentally flew in as people walked through doors. Even the snack buffet was clean, despite have a door propped open all day.

-The service was excellent. As I mentioned, we are very snobby and usually stay at high-end boutique hotels in Canada. I thought the service at the Iberostar Varadero was similarly gracious and thoughtful, although we didn’t try complaining so I can’t say how the staff would react in a negative situation. The front desk staff checked us in within minutes of our arrival, the waiters and servers we encountered were always friendly and accommodating. The animation staff were friendly and enthusiastic but weren’t too in-your-face.
We used room service twice, and our food was delivered very promptly. Other than the first day at the beach bar, we didn’t throw tips around and I didn’t find a noticeable difference in the level of service.

-There was a wide variety of fresh food every day. We were unable to try the specialty restaurants because we didn’t know there was a dress code, but we were extremely satisfied with the buffet restaurant, the beach grill, the snack buffet, and room service. I have a very sensitive stomach and I was really worried after reading reviews of people getting sick, but I had absolutely no issues. I noticed kitchen staff continuously checking stations, taking away older food and replacing it with fresh.

-The room was really nice, we had a junior suite although we probably didn’t really need it – I think it would be good for families as there was a lot of room to set up a crib or a cot. Everything in the room worked well, the minibar was always stocked although we would have like more bottles of water…lying on the beach is thirsty work!
My only gripe is that the towel rack was on the wall behind the built-in tub. I’m short and I found I had to step into the tub to fling wet towels onto the rack.

-We only went to one show, a compilation of Broadway musicals. This was my first resort show, and I thought the band and dancers were very good. The singing was a bit weak but I think that was more due to the Broadway material. I would have liked to have seen the Cuban music shows as I think the performers would have been more in their element…hopefully next time!

-The beach was amazing (as usual in Varadero). The stretch along the Iberostar resort was well-maintained and quite shallow, which is nice for us shorter swimmers. The service at the beach bar and grill was very good – one of the bartenders, Charlie, walked along the beach in the morning taking drink orders to get you started. It would have been nice if he came back regularly throughout day but it was probably for the best…we were lazy enough as it was.

We thought five days would be sufficient for lying in the sun but we’re already planning our next trip back so we can check out all this resort has to offer.

3 Thank cinnabum
It seems you had an excellent stay and enjoyed what we had to offer.
We are really happy that you enjoyed your short brake with us and we look forward for your return. Thank you again for your review and we hope yo welcome you back soon