“Wonderful honeymoon location.”
Review of Iberostar Varadero

Iberostar Varadero
Ranked #2 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed June 8, 2013

My husband and I read the trip advisor reviews about this hotel and were so glad we chose this resort.
The hotel was fantastic, and staff were very helpful. On arrival we were not happy with our room, so were swiftly moved to another suite without any issues.
The food was what we were bracing ourselves for, it was pretty awful but we had set our expectations low so were not surprised. Everybody knows if you are looking for great food do not go to Cuba! On the bright side at least we didn't gain 10lbs which is the norm at all inclusive hotels! The rum was flowing, the sun was shining.....fab honeymoon resort and if we revisit Cuba we will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Birdie-Mee
JefedeAlojamiento, Quality Manager Cuba at Iberostar Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear Birdie-Mee, Thank you for your review and for sharing your experience with other readers. As part of the Management team, we are glad to know that you had a wonderful time with us, and that you enjoyed our services. We hope you can visit Cuba again and we will be looking forward to welcome you back to Iberostar Varadero. Our best regards, P.Perciavalle. Room Division Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,005)

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Overall excellent resort, if you're looking for excursions, the ocean, the sun, and an overall amazing trip with friendly outgoing staff, I highly recommend this resort. I went to this resort for my best friends wedding, the only complaint I have is that my vacation was too short! Such a breathtaking experience.

• Stayed: May 2013
5  Thank Jonnyfreake

"Dear Jonnyfreake, On behalf of Iberostar Varadero we appreciate your feedback regarding your stay. We are glad to hear that overall you have enjoyed your vacation and we appreciate your recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Best regards, P.Perciavalle, Room Division Manager"

Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

This was our first time in Cuba. I went with my husband and my 18 year old son and his girlfriend. We had a great time. It is an older resort but still very nice, clean, spacious. The staff were always friendly and outgoing. Thank you Ibersy (?spelling) for making the best drinks by the pool!!!! The food is what we expected. We are extremely fussy eaters so it was what we expected. Although from talking to others from different resorts I would have to say I am pretty sure ours was much better. There was always lots of food to choose from. The pool is very nice never overcrowded. We were always able to find lounge chairs around the pool. The beach is also very nice, clean and lounge chairs were also available. There was lots of entertainment and activities. I was also amazed at how wonderful the staff were to the young children. They would go around and gather the children for activities for the day. The night entertainment was great.
We did go into the town on the sightseeing bus. This was a great way to see the entire peninsula. The town is very safe to walk around. (FYI take tissue with you). We also took the catamaran tour. I would definitely recommend it!! Take lots of sunscreen!! You have to remember you are visiting a foreign country it is not Canada or the United States! Still a lovely place to visit and the people are extremely friendly!!!

• Stayed: April 2013
5  Thank MichelleandGreg

Dear MichelleandGreg, Thank you and your family for choosing Iberostar Varadero for your vacation, we are glad to know that you have enjoyed this time with us and that you were not disappointed with our services. We hope that we have the pleasure to welcome you back some day. Our best regards on behalf of all our staff. P.Perciavalle. Room Division Manager.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Stayed 11 nights after spending 3 in Havana. Went on recommendation from work colleague as best hotel in varadero and from feedback from others this seemed to be the case. Probably not 5 star but as this Cuba probably as good as it gets. Room was spacious but a bit shabby and electrical power points were either bathroom (not great for charging phones/ipods) and behind a large tv cabinet which I had to move to access, at which point the foot came off the cabinet requiring a visit to reception but was fixed the same night.
Staff very friendly, couldn't do enough for you. Pool area great although could be noisy with games as the afternoon wore on. Gardens beautiful. Beach was nice. Lots to do and staff keen to involve everybody. Plenty of sunloungers/shade when needed.

Room Tip: Accommodation blocks near reception are affected by noise from disco. If you want a quieter time ask...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Charles B

"Dear Charles B, On behalf of Iberostar Varadero we appreciate your feedback regarding your stay. We are glad to hear you have enjoyed your vacation and we will consider your suggestions in order to improve our service. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Best regards, P.Perciavalle, Room Division Manager"

Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Travelled with 38 others for a wedding May 25-June 1.
Arrival- arrived late at night and quickly received a room.
Room- our air conditioning did not work right (too hot) called and coated reception daily to complain, on the last day they finally fixed it..it wasn't unbearable but defiantly not comfortable.
Staff- most staff were great- others really needed a customer service check
Food- I enjoyed the food, although many others did not
Entertainment- one word...AMAZING
Excursions- do the catamaran .. Simply amazing

This was my second trip to Cuba.. Last resort was a 4 star...I would not rate this resort 5 stars..3.5 to 4.

Wedding was great, however, when getting our hair done (bridal party) it was evident by the hair dressers looks to each other that they were annoyed by the 5 of us in the room taking pictures- news flash people- that's what a wedding party does..we get ready together and take pictures. It's called memories

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Kayla B

Dear Kayla B, Thank you for choosing our hotel for your vacations and this beatiful event. We are pleased to know that overall you have enjoyed our services. We will take your suggestions into consideration to keep improving day by day, we have discuss your comments with our Hair Dressers as well, we appologize on their behalf. Our best regards from Varadero. P.Perciavalle. Room Division Manager.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

My wife & I have just returned from the Iberostar Varadero, where we stayed for a 2-week break to celebrate my wife's birthday.
We booked this destination, based upon all the great reviews on Tripadvisor & also from friends that have been before.
Thanfully, we were not dissappointed.....The hotel is just as it appears in the pictures.
We booked this Thomas Cook holiday through Blue Bay Travel & saved money on the book price we'd have paid if booking through Thomas Cook. I would reccommend Blue Bay Travel as they are UK based & offer a faultless service.
We booked a Junior Suite & stayed in room 1731, in block 17. This block was ideal for us, being away from the main pool & nightclub but just a few yards from the beautiful white sandy beach.
Room was lovely ...big & bright with mini bar (stocked daily & included in your AI package) 32" TV & ipod docking station. Lovely balcony to sit & watch the sun go down, having a cold one.

This hotel operates a "no reservation" practice with sunbeds, but it does still go on, especially on the beach, so you'll have to get there before 9:30-10:00 at the latest, to guarantee a good spot.
Thankfuly there are pleanty of beds & all have shady umbrella's ...which you are going to need because it's HOT! The constant breeze from the sea is a joy & perfect for spending all day soaking up the sun but be waqrned...put pleanty of sun block on as you will burn...even in the shade....
The beach is very safe, being able to walk out at least 50m & only coming up to your waist...crystal clear & like a bath...I really miss it :-(
Security guards are around to keep beach vendors at bay, but are descreet & a welcome touch.

The hotel grounds are kept immacculate by the team of gardeners & cleaners, who are always working but never obtrusive.
The restaurant's are varied & you can get something to eat pretty much any time of the day or night (we had burger & chips at 2:30am once when we had the "munchies")
On the all-inclusive package you are allowed to book 3 a-la-cart meals each week of your stay....the rest of the time you can use the main buffet-style restaurant.
We tried all of them & they were all pretty good.
The Japanese restaurant is quite entertaining, as they cook the meal at your table & put on a good show....food's good too (a big stir-fry, basically)
The International restaurant has a good selection & has a nice relaxing atmosphere.
This also doubles as the lunch-time restaurant, with buffet style service.
Unfortunately, during the day, they keep the doors & windows open, which is great for keeping cool, but let's in all the birds! This is quite off-putting, as they hop all over the tables & even eat from the food counters. We all coplained about it as it is not very hygenic & a shame as this is the only negative comment about the restaurants & could be easilly fixed by the hotel staff.
The Mediterranean restaurant is a bit of a strange mix..buffet style starter & desert with a-la-cart main meal ?? Would feel much nicer if it were a full a-la-cart service.
Food was great though...Sea Bass & Grouper both excellent.
They also have a "Cuban" night on a Saturday, in the International restaurant, but personally, I'd skip this one....Just another buffet-style but not as good as the main restaurant...needs some work to make it more "traditional".
Service all over the resort is fantastic. I've read comments giving negative comments but the staff have to work in searing heat & have to serve some very demanding & rude customers.
A little politeness (& the odd couple of peso's tip) will go a long way.
Big thanks to the bar staff in the main bar & also our lovely beach bar guys & beach waiter...They always had a smile for us & remembered what we liked to drink every day.
We also booked a couple of excursions via the Thomas Cook rep.
The overnight trip to Havana was good value (around £120 pp) & included a night at the Club Tropicana...drinks are free (well, a bottle of rum anyway)..fun & sunshine...:-)
Also went to see the Buena Vista Social Club, who are quite famous, apparently, great music but all in Spanish (strange that, in Cuba) so just sit back & enjoy the atmosphere.
The speedboat/jet ski adventure is well worth the money & you get to race flat out accross the sea & through the mangroves....great fun!
We also went scuba diving with a local chap, who was also a professional photographer,....picked up at the hotel...taken to Coral Beach, all equipment supplied....Had around an hour or so diving & also got a DVD with underwater photo's & video clips....Only 50 CUC's each! (around 1.4 CUC's to the £) ....amazing value.....Got to ride in his mate's 1955 Pontiac too...really cool!
Also made the trip into Varadaro town.......Check out the Beatles bar....They have live rock bands & they're pretty good too!
All in all, we had a fantastic, relaxing holiday & met some great people (big hi to Rich, Carol, Brian, Sue, Terry & Michelle).

Bottom line...would I go back there to stay again?..... Well, it's a big world & there are many places I've yet to visit, but honestly...Yes, in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Block 17 near the beach - ask for the top floor if you can, for a sea view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Essexboy41

Dear Essexboy41, Thank you for choosing Iberostar Varadero for your vacation and wifes birthday, we are glad to know that both of you have enjoyed this time with us and that you were not disappointed with our services. We hope that we have the pleasure to welcome you back some day. Our best regards on behalf of all our staff. P.Perciavalle. Room Division Manager.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

I went with my husband and toddler, accompanied by my brother and his family. Overall the resort is not bad but it is definitely not five star. I would say it is more akin to a low four star hotel. The rooms are very spacious and have a nice private outdoor terrace which overlook the pretty gardens, however the decor is extremely tired looking and could do with a good lick of paint and upgrading of furniture. The bathrooms are large and rather decent.

The main swimming pool and beach are excellent. We enjoyed many lazy afternoons by the pool and beach and never had an issue in finding a deck chair. Staff are always ready to help and I think it is the excellent service offered by the majority of the staff which keeps this resort in the number one spot. We had two young children with us and the staff were very warm towards them, especially Jama and Juni.

The resort offers a wide range of activities although these could be better advertised. We only saw the timetable two days before we were leaving which was a shame.

Whilst the food is not great, I stuck to the fresh fish which was delicious once dressed with my chosen sauce. My brother and I particularly enjoyed the mangoes, they are the best we have ever tasted and I only wish I could have brought some back with me.

Overall, we had a pleasant stay but I think it could have been better by a few extra luxuries we are used to seeing in five star resorts.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Anon179
QualityManagerCuba, Room Division Manager at Iberostar Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2013

Dear Anon179, Thank you and your family for choosing Iberostar Varadero for your vacations. We appreciate your time spent in writing and sharing your experiences with other readers. Our guests` opinion and suggestions are very important to us. I want to take this opportunity to let you know that we are working with our Maintenance team this year to improve and refresh our furnitures in the rooms and every year we planned what we call Preventive Maintenance in each room and building, this type of work is done building by building as the occupancy all year is high and we try our best to give Maintenance to all our rooms. We hope we have the pleasure to welcome you back soon and that you are able to enjoy the improvements we made this year in order to satisfied our guests. Thank you on behalf of all our staff for your beautiful words regargind their services, we will pass along you review. Our best regards from Cuba. P. Perciavalle, Room Division Manager.