“Richardson / Campbell”

Ranked #3 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Amsterdam
“Richardson / Campbell”

We stayed at iberostar from the 19th of sept to the 3rd of oct 2012,
I have been all over the world accommodated in numerous beautiful hotels, although this was my very first visit to Cuba I could NOT ask for a better hotel, it's most definitely a 5 star hotel, every thing from the maids which changed the sheets and cleaned rooms spectacularly daily to a very high standard to the meals from breakfast to evening were second to none. The sea food consisted of king prawns, crab, squid and lobster along with the normal food you would expect including veg, salads and desserts, it must be an almost impossible feat to cater for all nationalities. All the staff from the gardeners to the management were lovely and nothing was of any trouble to them. I would just like to thank the tosers(tizers) for having the pool emptied even though it wasn't necessary, it did not disadvantage myself but it did spoil the children's fun going in the pool. I hope you feel very proud of yourselves. I could go on and on about this hotel and the staff but I only have 200 characters SUPER EXCELLENTE.

Room Tip: E/mail hotel in advance and ask to be located in blocks 15 and 16 which is what we did.
2 Thank Rutherford5
QualityManagerCuba, Quality Manager Cuba at Iberostar Varadero, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Rutherford5, Thank you for sharing your experience at Iberostar Varadero with other readers, we are glad to know that you had a SUPER EXCELENTE vacations with us. I will forward your review to all our departments, I can assure you that your words will make them feel proud of their daily work and encourage them to keep working with the same quality. We hope you have the opportunity to visit us again soon. Best regards, Pilar Perciavalle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (954)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Bristol, England
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed at the Iberostar Varadero Sept just gone. Tizers remarks aboout the pool were right and the pool(s) were drained and completely cleaned, re grouted, jet sprayed and repainted over the course of about 4 days. One of the few complaints we had about this was that none of the holidaymakers were actually made aware of this till a day or 2 beforehand. That could have been handled a bit better but overall we (2 teenagers + Mum & Dad) had a good time. The hotel is, as with most hotels there, pretty much on its own. There is nothing outside without a bus or taxi ride away so you do get to feel a bit stircrazy unless you book a few trips with the holiday company reps which were a touch pricey. We spent £750 on trips alone on top of the £5400 the holiday cost! Good job the hotel was all inclusive!
The food in the buffet areas was good, plenty of it and nearly always hot. The table staff were on the whole great. Obviously they want you to tip them and some were a bit stupid! We would normally tip at the end of a holiday dependent on the service but they seem to expect a tip straight off. You don't do that then your service will suffer. We didn't and it did! The a la carte dining was not so good, not much selection in the mediteranean restaurant. We didn't try the other 2 but people we talked to said both the others were reasonable.
All the barstaff were great, brilliant memories for drinks orders. The entertainment staff were nearly all good fun and all spoke quite a few languages fluently. They get their fun from people joining in, we did and they responded accordingly.
The nightime entertainment was overall very good. The hotel bring in a speciality act most nights and then the entertainment staff take over till 11pm. Considering they have been at work since 9am they did a great job. Worth staying in the theatre area for most nights.
The rooms were always spotlessly clean, fridges restocked usually every day and if not, ring reception and anything wanted is up to you straight away.
Worth remembering if you go is that Cuba and its workers are very poor. We gave away, almost daily, the contents of our fridge to the gardeners etc (not the room cleaners or entertainment staff because they get to eat and drink what we did) and at the end of the holiday left soap, shampoo, clothes even for selected staff They all want something but unless you take a suitcase full of stuff to leave (which a seasoned traveller we met did!) then you just do your best and they were all grateful for the items we left.
I wouldn't necessarily go back to this resort (Varadero) but I would definitely go back to Cuba

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank CordonGordon
Dear CordonGordon, Thank you for your review and comments regarding your stay with us. On behalf of all our staff we appreciate you gave us the possibility to receive you and your family for your vacations, we are glad to know that overall you have enjoyed our services and the staff attention. We wish your next vacations is even better. Kind regards, Pilar Perciavalle
Toronto
Reviewed October 14, 2012

The main reason I returned to Varadero was primarily because of this particular stretch of beach. In addition, I’ve never been to the Iberostar Varadero before.

The day I arrived the beach next door was closed off and under construction. While I realize the plan is to widen the narrow beachfront, the water was full of silt and the shoreline covered in pebbles and broken seashells. There was also dead fish washed up from the sea.

The day before I left, on October 12th, the Iberostar Varadero resort closed all its accesses to the beach. There was never any warning this would happen, but at least I did get to use the beach much of my stay. It may be weeks before things are back to normal.

The service by the resort’s staff was excellent. Yes, tipping generously makes a big difference. And don’t forget to leave something for the maid, too.

Most of the guest rooms are at the east end of the resort enclosing a quaint botanical garden. My room was on the ground floor facing the garden. Given the trees separating the resort from the beach, upper rooms facing the north side have a very limited ocean view.

The bathroom shower is separated from the bathtub in a glass enclosure, and has both soap and shampoo dispensers, something new for me. I also appreciated the ceiling fan being near the air conditioner to spread cool air throughout the room.

While there are four pools, most guests preferred the shallow pool because of the swim-up bar. There is also ice cream in a freezer parked next to the bar. A bridge separates this pool from a deeper one on the lobby side. Next to it is a small pool plus another by the spa. There are plenty of covered lounge chairs and shady spots. Unfortunately, guests insist on reserving chairs with their towels even though signs are posted all over forbidding this practice.

There is also a pool-size rectangular Jacuzzi accessible from the spa. It was easy to operate and relaxing after doing morning exercises in the gym. Few guests were aware of it. Pity.

There have been negative comments about the Buffet Ambrosio restaurant’s food. But as far as I am concerned the food was good, and there was plenty to choose from for both my breakfast and dinner. I had lunch in the El Bohio, which has a smaller buffet setup. At night it became the La Parrilla, where I had a delicious roast lamb dinner. I also enjoyed a snapper dinner at the Mediterraneo La Dorado, but skipped the Manjoku restaurant because it didn’t offer individual table settings serving traditional Japanese dishes. (Hint to management.)

The place to be before and after dinner is the Los Arcos piano bar next to the lobby. They should rename it “Cheers” because everyone seemed to be enjoying them selves, whether for music, drink, cards or just to chat. It was also used for a wedding photo-op.

What surprised me is that there is no 24-hour bar, where you could sit over a cup of coffee in the wee hours of the morning. I’ve been to other five-star resorts that offer this type of service. But here you have to wait until 7 a.m., when the buffet restaurant opens, or else make coffee in your own room. (Hint to management.)

All in all, I must give the resort only four stars, and that’s mainly because of the beach situation. It could at least have offered shuttle service to the beaches at its sister resorts until things are back to normal. Such indifference to its guests is inexcusable. (A final hint to management. Maybe I should send it a bill for my advice.)

Room Tip: Avoid this resort for now, until there is access to the Beach. If you want an alternative choice...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Scarberian
QualityManagerCuba, Quality Manager Cuba at Iberostar Varadero, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for writing about your stay with us. We are glad to know that overall you have enjoyed your vacations with us in Cuba. I will forward your review to our staff, it is important to them to hear that you consider their services excellent. I have also take notes of your suggestions to Management; we will take them into consideration as we always do.
I will like to take this opportunity to explain the beach work done on our beach area and all along the Peninsula. As I have mentioned in many of my responses, our Beach front together with most of the Peninsula area, has being affected since last year for the bad weather and cold fronts, finally the Government took this matter in their hands and decided to have a Dredge of sand in the most affected areas along the Varadero Beaches. This work has being planned and moved from month to month and luckily for all Varadero visitors they started the last week of September. The work in our beach area started on October 8th, and today, October 15th we have all access to the beach open for our guests, with a beautiful 50 mts wide and around 500 mts long beach. Also I would like to correct you, as during this week of work; the beach front of our Hotel was close by sections of 150 mts (leaving around 350mts available to our guests every day), at all time we had 3 out of 5 accesses to the beach open and our services (Beach Bars and Grill) open as well. The company hired by the Cuban Authorities that is working in the dredge, starts by closing a section of the beach, and as long as they move ahead they open the area that they already finished. As Hotel Management we understand that many guests may feel disappointed by this kind of works, but we also assume that in every situation that requires improvement of facilities or service, we have that risk. I do consider that in this case our guests are able to see that we care about them and their suggestions, as you may read in several comments of past guests our beach was too short, and this clearly shows our commitment to keep improving day by day. Our Maintenance team is working nonstop to organize the beach area with sun beds and huts for our guests. I encourage readers to contact me if you need further information or photos of the new and improve Beach area.

We hope you are able to enjoy your next vacation to the fullest. Kinds regards from all of us at Iberostar Varadero.

Pilar Perciavalle
Quality Manager Cuba
Billingham
Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

We just back from this lovely hotel, it really is 1 of the best hotels in varadero, the food was nice even tho I am a very fussy eater, the entertainment is I of the best iv seen in the carribean they try so hard and we could not fault this at all, the rooms are big and spacious and kept very clean, hotel grounds are kept beautiful, all the staff in this hotel are soo very pleasant and polite and always have a smile, our only fault with this hotel is when we arrived the main pool was closed for about 3 days and the beach was very narrow they started renovation work so we had very little beach the 2 nd week of our holiday, as we prefer the beach it disrupted our holiday a lot, on our last day we did manage to see a lot of improvement with the beach as one part of it was fully open and it is beautiful, but we only had 1 day of this amazing beach :( I would thoroughly recommend this hotel it is the best hotel we have stayed in in Cuba

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank casBillingham
Dear casBillinghar, Thank you on behalf of the staff at Iberostar Varadero for your recommendation to other readers, we are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay, and that beside the works being done on the beach area you were able to enjoy it the first week, and you were able to see the result as well. I will forward your review to all our staff. We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back some day in Iberostar Hotels and Resorts. Best regards, Pilar Perciavalle
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My first trip to Cuba and certainly not my last. My family and I went directly from the airport to Varadero and stayed 3 nites (9/15-9/17) at this fantastic hotel. My first time at an all inclusive hotel, and I was not disappointed. The staff was professional, caring, and very friendly. The hotel is super clean. Better than most 5 star hotels in the USA. The food was good, and the service great. I enjoyed our stay, and from Varadero we went to the Iberostar Parque Central for the remainder of our visit to Cuba ( 9/18-9/22). A great hotel also. I had a great time visiting Cuba, and my wife had an emotional, but truly wonderful time visiting her family, school, and home after 46 years. As the saying goes you can take a person out of the country, but you cannot take the country out of the person. Thank you Iberostar for making our stay so memorable.

Room Tip: Suggest 3rd floor building 19.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank arthur f
Dear arthur f, Thank you for sharing your words about you last vacations with other readers, we are pleased to know that you were not disappointed with your decision and that you found our staff to be professional and friendly. Our regards to you and your wife, we hope you have the chance to re visit your home and that you think about staying with us again. Best regards from Cuba. Pilar Perciavalle
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We returned from this resort 3 days ago & have just booked again for next year. We had a fantastic time, the whole of the resort was beautiful & so well maintained. All of the staff from the gardeners up the managers are lovely & will do anything they can to make your stay wonderful. The food was great with plenty to choose from and also a few al carte restaurants to choose from. The buffet reastaurant staff were always happy to see us & we got to know a few very well over the 2 week stay, Maydelis, Yadira, Liset & Yisel were so friendly & made us laugh so much a big thankyou to them. The chefs liked to talk to us & were always ready to make us fresh omelettes in the mornings, thankyou to Santiago, David & Umberto especially.The room was very spacious & spotlessly clean, our housekeeper Dayamis was lovely she always had a smile for us upon returning to the room at the end of an afternoon & always enquired if we were enjoying ourselves, she alway left towel art around around room which was wonderful. The spa is well worth a visit even if you only use the sauna & the jacuzzi, so tranquil & very relaxing after a day in the sun. We had a four handed massage with Ceejay & Albert which was superb & well worth the money.he animation staff are brilliant and always kept us entertained throughout the day & the evening shows were great. We haven't got anything negative to say about this resort and are so looking forward to returning next year. All of the staff make this resort as good as it is, they work so hard to make everyones holiday special and a credit to the hotel. Thankyou again Tony & Kerry Manchester

7 Thank Tony F
QualityManagerCuba, Quality manager Cuba at Iberostar Varadero, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Tony F, Thank you for your review, we were pleased to welcome you on your last vacations and we will be as please next year to see you back with us. Thank you as well for your nice words regarding our staff, I will forward your comments to Maydelis, Yadira, Liset, Yisel, Dayamis, Santiago, David, Humberto. It is very important to them to read our guests recognition of their efforts. We are already waiting for you, see you next year, until then all our regards from Cuba. Pilar Perciavalle
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed at Iberostar Varadero from 5th - 19th Sept.
This is our 2nd visit here ( came 6 years ago) and when we intially arrived in 2006 , the hotel had only been open 2 years so everything was relatively new.
I noticed this year , that in some areas the place needs a bit of a revamp as over time wear and tear has appeared in parts of the hotel e.g. the settees in the lobby are all sagging and have been discoulered by the sun etc..
Aside from that , the staff , food etc was excellent and we had no problems booking into the a la carte restaurants when we required.
Sometimes the main bar area ( especially in evening) was very busy and if you didn't manage to get a seat / table on the perimeter near the windown / open air , then it could get extremely humid / hot which was uncomfortable.
We found the ' cigar bar' which was very quiet and moreover had air conditioning which suited us down to the ground !
A special thanks to Humberto in the cigar bar , who treated us like royalty and deserves a promotion !!

Room Tip: Suggest that you opt for high level rooms in either blocks 13 , 14 or 15 as these are quiter parts...
1 Thank scottishrasta
Dear scottishrasta, On behalf of all our staff we appreciate your comments regarding your 2nd stay with us. It is important to know all suggestions from our previous guests, in order to work daily in those aspect that you think need extra work in order to keep the same standards. We will take you words into consideration. I am glad to know that you found your place in the hotel, enjoying our Cigar Bar and specially Humberto´s attention, I will make sure that he and his supervisor read your review. We hope we can have you back for a 3er time with us, our best wishes from Cuba. Pilar Perciavalle