“Great Time Had at this Hotel”
Review of Iberostar Varadero

Iberostar Varadero
Ranked #2 of 65 Hotels in Varadero
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Great Time Had at this Hotel”

First Impressions
Very clean and well laid out. Nice welcome on arrival and reception staff dealt with our room request change swiftly and without fuss. Nothing wrong with our first room but we wanted one on the lower floor.
Staff
Yovanny on the small beach bar was fantastic as was Deisy in the Lobby Bar. We had the best house keeper ever on the bottom floor of block 17. All in all, we couldn't complain about any members of staff we came across but I did hear complaints from numerous people about someone on reception.
Japanese, Buffet and Mediterranean Restaurants were all great with great selections in all. Personally, we did not like the Continental Restaurant but they can't please everyone.
Pool
Again, can't comment as we did not use the pool in the 3 weeks we were here for but it certainly looked good and again there were plenty of beds.
Beach
Loved it here and never struggled to find a bed even though some people were down there early to claim beds with towels. Now whilst I don't have a problem with people doing this I think it's quite rude that people lay their towels on beds at 7am and then don't return to them until 11ish. Either stay with your beds from first thing and go for breakfast, lunch and swim as desired but if you ain't going to use your beds until 11, don't hoard them. Shoreline close to the beds and nice clean sand.
Entertainment
Boy oh boy do the entertainment team work hard and they put on some great shows. Not too pushy either if you are not a willing participant.
Tipping
We tipped as we went but not necessarily every time. I can't say that anyone looked for tips but were very appreciative when they received them.
Bars
The Lobby Bar and the Cigar Bar are the main bars. The Cigar Bar is lovely and cool if you are feeling the sultry heat too much at night.
Trips
We travelled with First Choice and our reps Jose and Mario were brilliant. We did the following:
Havana Overnight - A great guide and we visited lots of hotspots but very rushed, we should have done 2 or 3 days in Havanna before going to the resort
Jeep Safari - Brilliant day out although at the Coffee Plantation we found they were very pushy for tips
Deep Sea Fishing - A great day out on a 4 person boat (sadly we did not catch anything)
Cayo Blanco Catamaran Cruise - The Island is beautiful but I think we had a bad group on the Catamaran. We did one of these cruises in the Dominican and it was great fun so maybe we were just expecting the same.
Boat Adventure - This was our best morning out!! 2 hours on an Aqua Ski, a great experience and a good laugh.
Hints
We tried to buy a pack of cards wherever we went on the Island and just couldn't get any, so, if you enjoy a game of cards take some with you. Also, take a couple of lighters if you're a smoker as you can't get them at the hotel.
The average wage is only 20 pesos a month so tipping is more than acceptable at 1 or 2 pesos.
No need to take beach towels as these are available all day and always in supply.
Good to take a few toiletries for staff as personal hygiene items are so expensive for them to buy out there.
If taking electrical goods to use from the UK take the european adaptors.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Junior Suites in Room 1710 on the ground floor. Our first room was on the 3rd floor...
9 Thank Diadora1229
QualityManagerCuba, Quality Manager Cuba at Iberostar Varadero, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Diadora1229, On behalf of all the staff at Iberostar Varadero we want to thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. We are glad to know that from the start our Front desk staff was able to make you feel welcome and later on during the rest of your vacations Yovanny, Deisy and many others did as well. They have received a copy of your review already, and I am sure they felt proud to read their names in your review. We are pleased to know that your time with us was Great and we hope we can welcome you back soon. Best regards, Pilar Perciavalle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (988)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I wanted to experience different types of hotels and places in Cuba but this hotel is way better!! The best by far!! Good food, good service, beautiful place, I reccommend to everybody! I've had a blast with the staff, every bar we went the y recognized us even though the hotel was full, they knew what we all had as drinks... the activities were always very much entertaining and well organized! our room's bar was suposed to be filled every 2 days but they did it EVERY day!!

Room Tip: We had the junior suite but the other rooms seemed to be just perfect too!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Diochra
Dear Diochra, Thank you for taking the time to share your words on TripAdvisor, as part of Iberostar Varadero management it is important to us to know that our guests experienced good services and that they go back home with recommendations about our hotel. We hope that on your 5th visit to Cuba you can visit us again. Best regards, Pilar Perciavalle
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Just come back from Cuba on 29th Sept, we couldn't fault the cleanliness of our hotel room although some days our coffee etc wasn't restocked and had to find the maid who was always very friendly.Staff wise pool bar staff were excellent really friendly and regularly around the pool taking drinks orders.The pool area itself could have been cleaner on various occasions i saw ice cream cornets left on the floor other bits not cleaned up although the holiday makers themselves should at least try to tidy up after themselves.At reception they were always very friendly and attentive and check in and out was quick and efficient.Lobby bar staff during the day were extremely friendly(Elieniese) also the staff at night were excellent,the only one I had a bit of a problem with was the girl at night she seemed to be the head bar maid her attitude came across arrogant and she seemed to be commenting about holiday makers behind their back to other staff.Food wise definately not 5star breakfasts were good but as the day went on the food quality got worse chips were cooked in the morning and reheated at lunch time,when certain foods ran out early they was not replaced.One night in the buffet restaurant a fly got stuck on a jelly and wasn't removed for at least half an hour(surely staff should be checking regularly for this as flies are a problem).The International restaurant was like fast food booked in at 7pm and was out by 7.35pm no gaps between courses.The Med restaurant was really good friendly staff and no rushing us out although why HP sauce was in there and not in the buffet restaurants for breakfast i don't know.Also the gardeners must get a mention always friendly and handing out flowers to the women.Shows at night on the whole were very good although did start a little late.There's not much in Varadero town very run down bars not the cleanest but worth it to get an old american car back to hotel.we did a couple of trips 1st was the Buena Vista Social Club not what we expected thought we would be in a proper club but it turned out to be Cubas version of Take That although most of them were in their 80's(avoid like the plague) 2nd was the reps night at the mambo jambo club this was a good night with upto 12 free drinks but you will not get anywhere near that amount as the night goes on the quality of drinks gets worse.On the whole a relaxing holiday met some great people but not enough to do go back to Cuba in the near future.

5 Thank Jason Y
Dear Jason Y, Thank you for your review and nice words about your stay with us. Elainys already has a copy of your comments, as well as our Head of departments who will look into your suggestion in order to improve and be able to have our future guests enjoy of a great vacation. As part of the Managament team we apologize for any redness you felt from our bar attendant we do not have any head bar maid, but the supervisor of this area will verify and follow up on your comment. We also apologize for your bad experience at the International restaurant, your review was read in our management meeting and we are supervising this area closely. We wish you the best vacations for the future in your next destination, hopefuly with Iberostar hotels & resorts. Best regards, Pilar Perciavalle
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2012

This was our 2nd time in Cuba and I must admit the Iberostar Veradero hotel was very disappointing.
I read the reviews before the holiday and expected much better then what we got, we filled in questioners and called in the manager as things went from bad to worse. Below are just a few problems we encountered:-
1. An overly aggressive and rude beach attendant who whistled at my husband to stop him laying out our sunbeds. The attendant was too busy hustling tips off the people who arrived just before us.
2. Tables never cleared of used dishes during meal times. We resorted to putting them on adjoining tables just to give us more room. The staff’s attitude (and smiley faces) only improved after being tipped.
3. Room cleaning standard only improved after we filled in a survey form. Toiletries and coffee dried up towards the end of our stay. My husband had to ask the maid for coffee.
4. On our last day the maid came into our room with her supervisor and did a formal check of the towels and contents to see if we had stolen anything.
5. The swimming pool area had tiles missing, exposed electricity wires from broken underwater lights, plaster flaking off walls and broken Formica bar top to pool bar. There was an excess of rubbish (even a panty liner and plasters) accumulating at the bottom of the pool.

In defence of the hotel the food in all the restaurants was 1st class if sometime a little cold but on the whole great.
Due to this I do not think we would use the Iberostar Company again. Sorry

20 Thank alex1627
Dear alex1627, Thank you for your review. We regret to know that you and your husband were dissapointed with our hotel and service. We will take your comments into consideration. It surprise us as Management the behavior you have described from our beach attendant, as most of our visitors speack greatly about their services, however we will verify this with their supervisors, as well with our Housekeeping Manager to address your comment regarding the cleanning of the room. In regards to the surveys you have mentioned, I consider that this shows how important your opinion is to our staff, I say this because that shows that our housekeeper improved her job after knowing that what she was doing was not up to your expectations. In regards to your last day checked of the room, this is not a procedure to check if guests stole anything, this is part of the inventory that they perfom daily in each floor. We apologize if you felt this was intrusive behavior, we will refresh our housekeeping staff about the correct forms to perfom these controls. About the pool conditions, even though I have to disagree in the extreme conditions that you describe, I can proudly say and you wil be able to read other reviews that confirms my words, that our main pool area was cleaned and repaired last september as part of the yearly cleanning planning we must follow for the stablished regulations. We hope you have a better experience in your next destination. Best regards, Pilar Perciavalle
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed October 2, 2012

is what they make you say after every activity.

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Iberostar Varadero from the 15-22 of September in room 1824.
Very simple : IT WAS INCREDIBLE.

We both work in tourism and we were amazed by the whole package.

We are already planning our vacation back to the hotel. It has the best quality/value and definitely the best animation team. I would definitely pay the extra few bucks to have this hotel instead of any other in Varadero (yet the prices arent that expensive at this Iberostar).

I based myself on Trip Advisor to go to this hotel and i definitely do NOT regret my decision. It was one week in paradise and we both shed a tear when it was our time to go.

My girlfriend is very picky for food - She ate loads of everything
I don't like bugs - Never got bit by mosquitoes and only saw 1 roach outside of the resort.
I like moving and being active all day - Hotel Animation took care of that.

The standart rooms are very spacious, great amenities and nice balconies. If you can, request a high floor and you'll be amazed. Only hic with the room was that it had a door connecting to another room. I quickly noticed that there was no doorknob for them to open so I didn't need to change rooms. Also, request the building number 18 which is close to almost everything.

I spent most of my time either by the pool or by the beach. In both cases, staff on site is amazing. You also have the choice - Either be beside a lot of people and a lot of action or be more secluded and have your personal space. So basically, this hotel is perfect for families, friends and also couples. I saw a few Solos and they were very sociable so I'm sure they were enjoying it aswell.
Gym and tennis amenities are brand new, but I didn't try the Spa.

If I can relate my whole day, it generally looked like this :

07:00 - Wake up and have breakfast
09:00 - Start laying down and enjoying the sun
10:30 - Play waterpolo or any other Star Friends activity
13:00 - Wait, is it already time to go eat? I was enjoying myself so much! :(
14:00 - Time to lay down and tan - Animation : WHY ARE YOU LAYING DOWN, COME PLAY!
19:00 - Go to the room and clean up for dinner
20:00 - Eat (I recommend the Mediterranean a la carte, seafood is very good)
21:00 - Go to the Cafe Bar and drink "un cafe americano". No milk, just one bag of sugar, delicious.
21:30 - Go see the very good shows right beside the cafe bar. Starts at 22:00.
23:00 - You can go to the club, we usually went to sleep as we were tired of the sun

Next day - Start over.

We did 2 excursions, the Catamaran with dolphins and the one day Havana. Liked both, but Catamaran was a bit overpriced. Havana, be ready to say NO because they won't leave you alone when they see the tourist bracelet. So if you can, try hiding it with another bracelet or a cheap watch. Oh, and bring water bottles, uv protection and about 70CUC if you're planning on buying just a few cigars andstuff.

Back about the hotel, it’s a no-brainer. I’m already recommending it to people I know and I literally fell in love with it. As I said, I’m planning another vacation back in a near future.

Make sure you take care of the people that take care of you, and you will enjoy your holiday.

The best thing to do at this hotel, hands down, are all the activities they propose you to do. I can't imagine staying by the pool not doing anything. They motivate you to get up and enjoy your holiday to the fullest.

ANIMACION SUPER EXCELENTE!!
Quick shout to say a big thank to my 3 favorite star friends :
Chacarron, Manny and Alberto!
See you next year!

Xavier "el Venezolano" and Tanya !

Room Tip: Request high floors and building number 18 if you want to be close to the pool, activities and lobby...
12 Thank Xavier_Tanya
Dear XavierTanya, On behalf of all our staff we appreciate your time and dedication in writing about you stay with us. We are pleased to know that you have had an incredible time with us. For what I can read you and your girlfriend were able to enjoy so much of what we offer as well as some excursions outside. I will forward your review to our Entertainment Team, with your special thanks to Manny, Chacarron and Alberto. be sure that they will be waiting for you next visit, as well as the rest of the staff and Management. We hope that visit is very soon. Best regards from your friends at Iberostar Varadero. Pilar Perciavalle
hertfordshire,
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I have just read the previous review and was astounded to read the comments made. I have just returned from this hotel this week and my experience is totally different to the previous reviewer. We have travelled to Cuba previously although not Varadero. We chose this hotel on trip advisors reviews and we have to say it lived up to its reputation as a great hotel with incredible service. Cuba is a poor country and we tipped freely - overall we spent very little on tips and it was always well received. It was not expected every time you ordered a drink etc. The service is this hotel is second to none. I have travelled extensively and this service was always punctual, and done with a smile on their faces. We never had one bad comment or look whilst there. The chamber maids, waitresses, and reception staff were superb. Never once did we have to wait for anything, tables were cleared, staff always stopped to have a chat and were always friendly and helpful . This hotel stands out because of the staff. Food was fair, although this is Cuba, so food is not as good as say Mexico. However, there was plenty of choice, albeit not very hot. We travelled with Thomas Cook and the rep "Jesus" was excellent. Every day he greeted us with a handshake and was full of info, . Overall this is an excellent hotel and we would glady return again.

Room Tip: Choose block 16 for quietness and good beach access.
15 Thank chillingworth215
QualityManagerCuba, Quality Manager Cuba at Iberostar Varadero, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear chillingworth215, Thank you for your review, we are glad to hear that you have enjoyed our facilities and services. Our staff will feel proud to read your comments regarding the hotel and their daily work. I will forward your review to our Excutive Chef regarding the food, he will look into it. We hope that you can enjoy your next vacations to the fullest, and we look forward to welcome you back soon at Iberostar Varadero. Best regards, Pilar Perciavalle
Wigan
Reviewed September 29, 2012

This was our first trip to Cuba so we were very excited. Now we are just glad to be home. We were not expecting a five star U.K hotel and we are not given to complaining at every little problem but the service at the iberostar was so poor we found ourselves complaining on several occasions. Where to start? Most of the staff seemed content to spend the day chatting to each other unless tips were offered freely. This became a problem in the buffet restaurant where plates and dishes piled up on the table(four people) and we were forced to move things to another table. Reception staff were unfriendly and unhelpful,when asked to change some currency we were informed that the receptionist was busy and to basically go away. Beach attendant was agressive and even resorted to whistling us like we were dogs when we didnt accept his offer to place our sunbeds down (for a tip). Swimming pool had numerous tiles missing and fungus on joints. A large section of the pool bar had tiles missing. Rooms were basic for a five star hotel with doors on cupboards not fitting properly and balcony door also needing a good slap to make it lock. The room was supposed to be replenished everyday with coffee, drinks and toiletries, this was a bit hit and miss as to whether it was done or not. On the final day we were visited by the maid and her supervisor to check that all the towels etc were still there and we had not stolen anything (what an insult we are not criminals) Overall dissapointed with this hotel felt we were always paying (tipping) for services we had already paid for in our ALL INCLUSIVE package. Would not recommend at all.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
18 Thank stevejuliewolves
QualityManagerCuba, Quality Manager Cuba at Iberostar Varadero, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Dear stevejuliewolves, Thank you for your review and for sharing your experience with TA readers. It is disappointing to us as Management of Iberostar Varadero to know that you did not enjoy your vacations with us, we apologize to you for any inconviniences you experienced during your stay. It is surprising to us to read that you have had so many problems in regards to the service that our employees provided to you, as the staff is our main strengths together with the quality of service they give day by day as you may read in several reviews on this site. However we understand that each vacations and each experience is differente and we respect your opinion, for this reason we will forward your comments to each department involve in order to refresh to our staff the quality of service that we are use to provide to our guests. In regards to our pool, I am glad to advice you and other readers that this past weekend we have worked in the cleanning and reparing of the pool, this work is done once a year in order to keep the standard of hygine that our guests deserve. We wish you have a better experience on your next vacations. Best regards, Pilar Perciavalle