“AMAZING”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Melia Marina Varadero
Ranked #14 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Let me first say that this is my first time using trip advisor, However i have taken a major trip once a year for over 30 years.....After reading trip advisor since Sept and following very closely all the reviews of the Melia Marina I decided that this was the hotel to stay at. My other 2 times to Varadero were nice also however this hotel and staff far surpassed anything that I could imagine.

I paid the extra and went to a suite on the 6th floor of the level...... What an experience....
Room service 24 hrs a day.... Suite was huge with separate bedroom, 2 bathrooms, livingroom , diningroom combined plus a jacuzzi.

I paid special attention to detail as well as service of these amazing people...... particularly Oscar the butler on my day of arrival as well as Dayami and Meikel the following day.

Oscar arrived to my suite with our steaks that we had ordered plus a surprise bday cake from Meikel and his staff.

I had read if I wanted a good banana daiquiri to go see Aleany at the pool bar........ She was amazing bringing us fresh bananas for our drinks everyday and boy they were the best that I have had.

The lobby bar had a little waitress named Yani who remembered what I wanted to drink before I knew what I wanted to drink.

I had the good fortune to meet with Mr Renaux.. I have never seen a GM so many times in one week all over the resort at any given time....Talking to people and getting ideas from the guests if they had any complaints etc.
In all of my travels in 30 plus years I have never seen a manager that available...
I will definately be going back to the Melia Marina and look forward to seeing all the friends that I have met here...

Blanche and Lois

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank BLANCHE A
Gildas_Renaux, Director General at Hotel Melia Marina Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Dear “BLANCHE A” from Sault Ste. Marie (Canada), it was certainly a great pleasure to meet you during your stay at the Meliá Marina Varadero and I thank you very much for reporting your true feedback on Trip Advisor.
Such nice comment coming from somebody who’s been traveling for more than 30 years is definitely on honor and I am glad to see that you truly enjoyed your stay with us.
It is true that our “The Level” service which could be compassed to a first class service in a plane has been so far enjoyed by all our guests who decided to pay a little bit more in order to receive a royal service.
I thank you so much for your comments concerning my presence on the floor and the care I am trying to give to my customers.
I hope to see you soon back in our hotel and I send you my best regards from the sunny Cuba.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,672)

Reviewed March 5, 2014

My husband and I enjoyed seven days at Melia Marina and had a fantastic time. Weather was perfect with sun everyday and pleasant breeze.

We flew with Air transat from Montreal which was fast, on time, and in a new cabin with personal entertainment systems. I enjoyed this trip much more than traveling with Sunwing whose flights are often late and super boring.

We paid very little extra to upgrade to a one bedroom condo/apartment in building #4 at the top level. Amazing view of the marina and no noise from the nightly entertainment. The apartments are extremely clean and well appointed and are equipped with a washing machine and two bathrooms. I likes having two A/C controls and ceiling fan. The ensuite bathroom was massive and modern with separate soaking tub and shower. We found that the water in the showers did not drain well and if we showered for more than 10 mins the shower would flood and there would be water all over the bathroom floor. I opted to take baths for this reason.

We didn't mind walking to the lobby, restaurants, pool or beach (all are a 5-15 min walk from our condo) but on days we didn't feel like walking, we caught a cart from the condos or you could call for a pick up. There's a little grocery store near the condos to buy non perishing foods, alcohol, and personal products. It looks like they may be getting meats and fresh foods as we saw several freezers/fridges that we're not yet stocked. The condos also have their own rooftop pool but we didn't use it.

There is one buffet restaurant which is quite good. I much preferred the food here over the other restaurants other than the reservations only a la cartes. I recommend going to the buffet as early as possible for the hottest freshest foods. The buffet opens at 7:30 for breakfast, 1:30 pm for lunch and 6:30 pm for dinner. The seafood and stewed meats were the best in terms of proteins and the beans and rice are great. Salad bar is ok but needs to include more salad greens. Could also do better with fresh fruits.

We were requested and were given access to the Level restaurant one night and that was by far our favourite restaurant. Excellent service and superb food. We also at at Bana the Asian restaurant (which they call Oriental -this is a very offensive term to use by the way. I'm East Asian and didn't like the fact that they use this terminology). The food was ok but we appreciated being in a quiet space to eat dinner because the buffet is quite noisy. We also ate at the French restaurant Casa la Bourgetta which was also ok. Don't get the salmon steak - it tastes from frozen and rid with bones. My husband had the chicken and that was tasty. Since you only get two a la cartes I can't review the other restaurants. I didn't like the beach restaurant except for the view and nice breeze. We only had breakfast once at the 24 hr snack bar which was pretty good. It was a good option for us since we needed to have a very early breakfast in order to make our 6:00 am check out and 6:30 am bus pickup.

If you are looking to book excursions we found the best deal was to go through customer service at the hotel (beside the bell boy office). We had a private driver and English tour guide for two excursions : Havana and Guama, each for $130 cuc total for both of us. You have to use cash with the private tours so bring enough cash. You can convert your CAD at the hotel bank (near the internet) which is open from 9-8 daily. When we were there the exchange was .85 cuc for every 1.00 cad. You can also take money from your cad credit card at actually a better exchange rate in usd.

Customer service was excellent. I loved Joanna in customer service. She was so nice and helpful. Drinks and coffee are the best at the lobby. My favourites were the mojitos and ice coffee. There are plenty of beach chairs and helpful staff on the beach. Chairs are a bit uncomfortable but not a deal breaker.

I would recommend this resort to anyone. The clientele appear to be more sophisticated. I didn't see many hard partying kids there, probably because it is a relatively expensive resort for Cuba but in my opinion, worth every penny and more.

I'm addition to fixing the drains in the bathrooms, we would have liked to have better access to bottled water. If your maid forgets to give you a new bottle of water, you can try the lobby bar or call front desk for a bottle. I'm not sure how families could get by in the 1.5 L if water we got everyday.

Cuba is a beautiful country rich with culture and history. If you can get a guided tour in Havana you can experience the real Cuba and enhance your overall experience. Cuba is extremely safe so you should not feel worried about booking cultural excursions. We went to Varadero city one day on the $5 bus but I found it really boring and a waste of time.

I would recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Ottawachic

Dear “Ottawachic” from Ottawa (Canada), it is with pleasure that I read you wonderful comments on Trip Advisor and I thank you for taking the time to report your feedback on this precious Web page.
A lot of our guests like you did prefer to pay a bit more and have an apartment in our condos instead of an hotel room.
This is a good solution for whoever wants to be a bit out of the “crowd” while enjoying the hotel activities next door.
Thank you also for highlighting the QUALITY OF OUR RESTAURANTS as well as the attitude and friendliness of our employees.
Your conclusion: “My husband and I enjoyed seven days at Meliá Marina and had a fantastic time. I would recommend this resort to anyone” shows us how happy you are with your stay at the Meliá Marina Varadero.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Melia Marina Varadero from 20 to 27 February, after transferring from a 3 night stay in Havana. It was our first time in Cuba for our 35th wedding anniversary treat. Firstly, my main reason for wanting to go to Cuba was to see Havana and that part of the holiday did not disappoint! We loved it. The beach holiday at Varadero was an added bonus, though, and it was lovely to relax and do nothing in such gorgeous surroundings and great weather. After reading this site, we were a little worried about what the food would be like at the hotel but we were pleasantly surprised. There was a lot of choice, however, the 'hot' food could have done with being actually hot. Also, certain fish and meat dishes seemed to be overcooked ie the salmon I had in the French restaurant. You could go and line up and have meat or fish cooked to order, which was a great option and I always enjoyed the food done this way. I have a complaint, though: the deserts were far too good!! I don't normally have desert but could not resist them, so I am now in the process of getting rid of the few extra pounds that I put on! But I guess holidays are for having a few treats and indulgences. The entertainment in the hotel was outstanding. We particularly liked the violinists in the piano bar, the Michael Jackson tribute and the magic show. We had a marina view room and I loved the colour scheme of the room; not to mention the gorgeous view too! The slight drawback from the location is that the trip to Varadero town was quite long-winded if you went on the open top bus, as it stops at all the other hotels on the way. You can get a taxi directly but be careful they are the registered ones, or you will end up in one without seat belts like we did. He drove like a maniac too! Had a better trip back in a registered taxi, so would recommend them.
All in all, we had a great holiday. We would definitely return to Cuba and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Gildas_Renaux, Director General at Hotel Melia Marina Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Dear « Pauline M » from Lincoln (England), a big thank you for reporting your excellent comments on trip Advisor about your short stay in our hotel.
Thank you for highlighting the quality of our food when saying: “After reading this site, we were a little worried about what the food would be like at the hotel but we were pleasantly surprised.”
I am also glad to see that you enjoyed the nightly shows we present on a daily basis on the marina frontline as well as the location and the comfort of your room.
+I truly hope to see you coming back again from your lovely country to stay at the Meliá Marina Varadero.
Meantime, I send you my warmest regards from the sunny and friendly island of Cuba.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

We went during Christmas. Hotel is beautiful. We stayed in the marina condos. Little things are needed like towel racks next to the shower vs 5 f eet away. Food, careful who you take advice from. If it is from someone regularly goes to Cuba, then that is what you have to keep in mind. To keep it simple, you are still in Cuba, and you don't go to Cuba for the meals. If you could only eat the sun!
They really try. For the money, eat is good value.

I tend to agree with many of the reviews. Food is still Cuba standard from what I hear and experienced. I had some good meals. Christmas eve dinner was great. Service at the a la cartes were decent. They really try to aim to please.

Coffee at the main hotel lobby is good. Only place for a decent espresso f you are particular as our group was.
Omelete, Pasta and grill stations are few and Slow. It was difficult to accommodate a large group because it was busy time of year, but they did their best.

Our biggest complaint over all is the food. Keep that in mind that this is not resort specific from what I hear. If I was to go back to Cuba I would return to this hotel. All inclusive, and I didn't put on any weight! See the positive and you will enjoy.

You get what you pay for. Hope you don't pay alot and keep that in mind. If food was higher standard, most people wouldn't be able to afford this place.

As you can likely tell I wasn't impressed with the food. Most all inclusive I find, the food at best, is okay.

Beach is lovely, bar at the beach and service was pleasant. Tip or no tip, service was great. Don't be cheap, Tip. They need it more than you.

Overall, for Cuba, I would recommend this. Hotel.

Room Tip: Marina condo is loud at night. Good and bad. One night watched and enjoyed from balcony, some earlie...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank XHamON

Dear “XHamON” from Ancaster (Canada), I thank you very much for taking the time to report your feedback on Trip Advisor about your stay at the Meliá marina Varadero.
The title of your comments says it all and I am glad to see that, overall you had a pleasant stay in our establishment.
Concerning the food and since you came (Xmas time) we improved a lot the quality of our food and this is reflected in most of the comments we receive e on a daily basis.
Thank you for mentioning: “If I was to go back to Cuba I would return to this hotel.”
I hope to see you soon back to our resort and I send you my best regards from the sunny island of Cuba.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

We visited the Melia Marina Varadero from Feb. 20 to Feb. 27 and we have nothing but great things to say about the resort! We arrived to a beautiful lobby that set the tone for the rest of the amazing facilities! We stayed on the Marina side of the resort which overlooks the water and gave us beautiful sun rises every morning. The only negative was that the nightly entertainment takes place in that area so it was loud from around 9:30 to 10:30 so if you plan on sleeping early, just be aware. Otherwise the rooms were modern and very clean, we enjoyed the view very much.

The staff was amazing! Everyone spoke English very well, were very helpful and cheerful! They did their best to help you out, always had a smile on and answered any questions about the resort that you may have! If you are interested in Tai-Chi, Meditation, Yoga or Chi-Kum please go see Michel who works at the Towel Hut by the pool, he is very knowledgable and will teach if you are interested! There is always entertainment at the pool every afternoon so if you like it a little quiet, hit the pool in the morning and the beach in the afternoon. Make sure you ask for a cushion for the pool chairs. If you want a good spot on the beach with some shade, make sure you head out there and claim a palapa before all the good spots are taken! The beach is amazing and we spent most of our time there enjoying the sun and sand. Make sure you visit the restaurant by the beach, good food and an amazing view with a great breeze. You do have make a trip over the bridge to make it to the beach but stretch your legs or you can take a golf cart which makes trips back and forth every day.

The food is very good all over the resort, the coffee is amazing and they have great pastries at breakfast. They have made to order omlette's for breakfast at the main restaurant as well as the pool snack bar, lots of variety to choose from! Just remember you are not in Canada so some of the food which is served is different even though they try their best to make us happy with the selection. The a la carte's are pretty good but the French restaurant stood out to be the best and most enjoyable for us.

The nightly entertainment was great and they managed to mix it up so that its not the same thing every night. Every night in the lobby bar, there is always something going on before the main entertainment begins. The Michael Jackson show was great along with the Dance party and the retro band! They have little shops in the hotel so you can pick up cigars, jewellery or souveniers if you don't make it off the property. Make sure you visit Havana for the day, as its well worth to see Cuba's history and heritage.

Special thanks to Michel and Irving who always asked us about how out stay was going. Not taking anything away from the rest of the staff as they were all great! We will stay at this resort again for sure and will recommend it to all our friends and family!

1  Thank Steve S

Dear “Steve S” from Toronto (Canada), it was so good to read your excellent feedback on Trip Advisor related to your stay at the Meliá Marina Varadero.
I particularly appreciated your comments on the QUALITY AND VARIETY ON OUR FOOD when you say: “The food is very good all over the resort”. Thank you also for understanding that we can offer the same products you have in your lovely country in term of variety for obvious reasons.
A lot of our customers also highlight like you did the quality of our shows at night. As you mentioned, we take car not go over 22:230 hours at night in order to respect the sleeping schedule of our clientele…
Finally, I thank you for your conclusion which resumes very well your stay amongst us: “We will stay at this resort again for sure and will recommend it to all our friends and family! “
We will be waiting for your return at your “home away from home”.
Warmest regards from the friendly Cuba.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Melia Marina Varadero from February 14th to February 21st!
It was my 1st time in Cuba and I was very hesitant upon my arrival. I heard the weather in February was unpredictable and the food was horrible! Well, the Melia Marina contradicted everything everyone said about Cuba. We had the best week at this resort.

The beach/pool:
Let’s start off that the weather. It was beautiful every single day that we were there. No rain or cloudy days what so ever. There were times the beach was breezy! But other than that it was gorgeous. We got up every day at 730 to reserve our seats because by 830 its pretty hard to find a spot under the Cabana. Towards the afternoon we would head to the pool because the wind would pick up at the beach. The pool is gorgeous and we always found a place to lie down.

The rooms:
The rooms were nice. Our maid always made sure we had fresh towels and changed our bed linen when we asked. My only issue was the outlet in the washroom was not strong enough for my hair appliances. Also, I would have liked for the showers to have a door or a curtain but then again that is not anything major.

The food:
The buffet food was good! The only issue I had is that most of the time, the food was lukewarm! The breakfast buffet was amazing! Everything was fresh and the omelet station was the best!

The beach/pool restaurants were very good. The food was always fresh and the staff’s service was incredible. Most days, when we weren’t at the a la carte, we would have our lunch/dinner at these restaurants.

The a la cartes were by far the best food on the resort. We ate at the French, Latin and Italian restaurants. The food was fresh and was full of flavor. I was pleased with their selection on the menus.

The entertainment:
The entertainment at the resort was superb! All the entertainers knew had to interact with the tourists, which made you want to participate in their activities. We had an amazing time. Jany was one of the entertainers and always made my boyfriend and I feel welcome. She would encourage us to participate in the activities, which we did.

The nightly shows were beautiful. All the performers were amazing dancers. I definitely enjoyed the entertainment!

I would recommend the resort! The staff was amazing and they made our trip! I am definitely planning a trip to Cuba in the following year and we will be staying at this resort!

1  Thank Cristina B

Dear “Cristina B Toronto” a huge thank you for your wonderful comments on Trip advisor concerning your stay at the Meliá marina Varadero.
Again, I want to thank you for highlighting the quality of our food on both, buffet and “a la carte” restaurants. It is amazing the reputation made on the island about the food in the hotels. I truly appreciated what you said: “It was my 1st time in Cuba and I was very hesitant upon my arrival. I heard the weather in February was unpredictable and the food was horrible! Well, the Meliá Marina contradicted everything everyone said about Cuba. We had the best week at this resort.” I know I am repeating myself but again it is about time to stop these gossips!!! Yes we do not have the variety of food you may have in Canada for obvious reasons but I have been on the island now for more than one year and I can ensure you that most of the places I know serve a very decent food.
Thank you also for mentioning the quality of our shows and genuine and friendly attitude of the Cuban people.
We hope you will come back soon in our sunny island and I send you my warmest regards.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

My spouse, 23 month old son and I stayed at this resort from February 22 to March 1st, overall we enjoyed our stay very much and with a couple of minor changes our rating of this resort would have been a 4 or 5. Details below:

BOOKING/ARRIVAL
We booked with Air Canada Vacations and had a direct flight from Ottawa, the flights and transfers were fine. We also made a couple of requests with the resort prior to arrival, we asked for a pool side room (as we heard the Marina side can be loud until 2300 which could have kept our son awake) and also asked for a crib. Both of these requests were taken care of no problem, thanks!

We arrived at the resort at around 1100 but unfortunately our room was not ready and we had to wait until 1600 for it to be ready. A 5 hour wait for our room was a bit long given we had a toddler with us that needed a nap.

ROOM/HOTEL
The room was very nice, #1518, and had a pool view (and you could see the ocean across the pool/grounds/highway). It was clean and everything worked well except the door to the hallway....All the doors have a "seal" on the bottom that makes the door "squeak" when it is opened and also prevents the door from closing properly unless you give it an extra pull (or slam it as some of our fellow travelers liked to do!).

An alarm went off several times one night around 200 waking us up and we heard security running through the hallways. The same alarm also went off several times one afternoon. I don't think these were planned tests since we were not notified.

The Mini-Bar was restocked every day (except 1) with a couple beer/cola and a bottle of water. We used the coffee machine on the first morning but the coffee was not restocked for the rest of the week. This was not a big deal for us because the coffee from the lobby bar was much better, we just took our mugs downstairs to get our morning coffee.

FOOD
The food at the resort was pretty good. The Buffet had a decent selection but got repetitive after a few nights. We ate at a couple of the A La Cartes and these were great (Don Ernesto-Latin & Casa Burguete-French). We also ate at the Beach Grill and Pool Snack Bar, the food was decent but the selection is limited.

SERVICE
The people and service at this hotel is awesome, with one exception (more below). At the Buffet and A La Cartes we were served quickly and staff were glad to be of help. The same goes for the bars, quick service with a smile. Housekeeping and grounds staff were all friendly too, as well as the staff at the kids club/baby club. Our son played there a couple times and we had a babysitter from there one night too.

Now for the one exception....the Pool Snack Bar (Habana). Because we were traveling with a toddler who generally goes to bed around 1900 we were forced to eat here fairly often (waiting until 1830 for the Buffet and A La Cartes to open was not always an option for us). There were at least 3 times that we sat down at the tables and waited 15-20 minutes for a menu (or finally got one on our own) and after placing our initial drink/food orders we were never asked if we would like anything else. This is the complete opposite of every other place at this resort. But the worst experience was on the last night, I went to the Snack Bar to get a Grilled Ham & Cheese Sandwich "to go", went to the bar and asked one of the servers for the sandwich "to go"/wrapped and was told no problem, have a seat. After sitting for 15 minutes while the server served a couple others and then had a 10+ minute conversation at the table beside me I decided to stand and pace to try and get his attention. The people he was chatting with left and he finally noticed me again and was like "oh yeah", he went into the back for a couple minutes and came out and told me it would be ready shortly. So after about 25 minutes the server finally brings the H&C sandwich on a plate. I ask if I can get it wrapped and he turns and hands me a napkin (A few minutes earlier I saw someone leave with food wrapped in tinfoil). At this point I just want to get out of there so I grab an additional napkin from the table and a butter knife so I can cut up the sandwich....to which I am told I can't take the knife. I tell him "thanks for nothing" and leave. I have no idea why the service at the snack bar is so different from everywhere else on the resort....like night and day...and this is your only option for food from 1600-1830.

AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT
1. Check in wait of 5 hours was too long
2. Room doors (fix the seal on the bottom)
3. Pool Snack Bar (Habana) service

OVERALL
A solid resort that can easily make some improvements.

Room Tip: Pool side is quieter
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank mjyetman

Dear “mjyetman” from Iqaluit (Canada), thank you for taking the time of reporting your feedback on Trip Advisor.
I was really glad to see that you truly enjoyed:
• The fact that we respected your request upon arrival (Crib and room location)
• The cleanliness of your room as well as the comfort.
• The quality of our buffet and specifically the food quality of our a la carte restaurants
• The friendliness and genuine attitude of our employees
• The very good service offers by our kid’s club
Concerning the three points you mentioned you can be ensure that we are trying to give our rooms as soon as we can to our guests. However and like everywhere in the rest of the world, our check-in time is 16:00 hours and check-out time 12:00 hours. The same way you would like to have your room available upon arrival, the guests we have in the hotel want to stay as long as they can before leaving. Consequently we do need time to set-up our room again in order to give it back to the next guest under the best possible conditions of cleanliness…
The seal on the bottom of the door in your room has 2 purposes: to isolate your room from the outside noise (corridor) and to maintain as efficiently as we can the temperature of your room.
Concerning your experience at the pool snack bar, I thank you for your remark and I will definitely have a serious conversation with our F&B team.
I wish we could have deserve a better note but I do respect your opinion and I hope that you will come back soon in our resort to give us the chance to make it even better.
Best regards from the sunny Cuba.