“FIVE star for Cuba!!!!!”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Melia Marina Varadero
Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
belleville
“FIVE star for Cuba!!!!!”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

We traveled as a couple from December 7-14. We are frequent travelers to the Caribbean and have stayed in Secrets, The Royal Cancun, Grand Bahia in DR and Jamaica etc. We have been to Cuba once before to the Memories Cayo Coco just weeks after it opened. I won't bore you with what others have already said but I will just add where I feel needs to.

Check-in - FAST! and I was happily greeted with my first ala carte at the French restaurant.
Room was ready despite us being so early (arrived at noon). Very nice front desk reception staff who I felt couldn't have been kinder.

Room - We were in 1228 (?) just four doors down from the lobby and it was super convenient and quiet. We overlooked the pool and it was great to watch from the balcony some late afternoons for the animation team. We received a hefty amenities kit with everything you need minus conditioner. The blow dryer worked fine but I prefer my own, however our plug would not work with theirs so bring a converter! Bathroom was wonderful with lots of hot water and pressure. We had no trouble with having towels all week but we also chose to reuse them some days since I don't daily wash my towels at home.

Food - I am allergic to shellfish and I loved how the staff were warned of this on my ala carte reservations. We actually were able to secure five reservations but late in the week found that the buffet was very plentiful. You will not starve but this is Cuba. Some days were better than others but the pasta bar is AMAZING and super HOT! My one wish is that they had multigrain rolls or pumperknickel since I am not a white bread lover.
We ate at the Levels twice and it was SUPERB service, best I have had actually. My steak was undercooked for my liking and they couldn't have apologized more! Hey it happens to me when I cook too lol! They put three servers on one table and you will never be without wine or water!. The white wine in the Levels was our favourite. They also serve Frontana red and white and it is drinkable. We ate breakfast one morning at the snack bar and it was great and served hot. The beach restaurant roasted chicken was very tasty but the snapper was overcooked for my husband. You will not starve but likely won't overeat either lol. I actually came home one pound lighter!

Beach - small and not as nice as Cayo Coco IMHO. We refuse to play the towel game and we had no trouble getting a lounger although it would be nice if they were all sling style as the white ones are very hard. Sadly while we were there one of the guests drowned in the water and my heart and prayers continue to go out to this poor man and his family. It really put a downer on going to the beach after that.

Pool - Fabulous, clean and just the right temperature. I have been to overheated pools and it just doesn't feel refreshing. The Aqua bar staff are the BEST!! Aleany, Osmani, Yosley and Rusier were the best welcome every day with "Good morning my friend and high fives". They couldn't have taken better care of us. If they didn't have what we needed then they would go get it for us. They are such lovely and beautiful people and we hope to keep in touch with you Aleany as you have such a beautiful spirit!

Service - Where do I begin... BEST service out of any resort we have ever stayed at. We do believe in tipping but it didn't matter if you did or didn't as the service is the same. We never had staff waiting around for a tip, EVER! We often had to chase them down lol. The Service Manager was seen several times all day working with his staff and I never once saw him looking angry with his staff and likely it is because they are doing an amazing job! He would be behind the bar making drinks, greeting customers at the door and doing all of the jobs that the staff did, he never looked like he was the head honcho which likely earns him ton of staff respect.

Entertainment - We have seen every cheesey show know in resorts and usually skip them but I am so glad we made it to the shows here. One night they had a Cuban all female band called Alma en Clave. They were so terrific we bought their CD to play at home to remind us of the beautiful time at the Melia Marina. The animation team did a nice job and weren't raunchy or pushy at all.

Internet - wifi was very fast and only 4.50 for an hour

Suggestions - Bring a converter and a bubba keg even just for water. Stick to pool view since you see the ocean and it is quieter at night.

Overall we will definitely try a Melia again and I hope they have a loyalty program. We hope to try Melia Cayo Coco with our four kids. A shout out to our new friends Ron, Sue and Richard from Aurora, Todd and Katie from Windsor and Paul and Shelly from BC. I hope you had safe travels home!
Del and Wendy

Room Tip: Pool view is best for quiet and for view
7 Thank Wendy S
Gildas_Renaux, Director General at Hotel Melia Marina Varadero, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Dear guest, it is with a great pleasure that I read your comments on Trip advisor yesterday.
I am so pleased to see that you had a very good time in our resort and that you truly enjoyed your vacations with us at the Melia Marina Varadero.
I thank you for giving so many details about your experience and I hope to see you back soon in the sunny island of Cuba.
Warmest regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (779)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I travelled with my boyfriend between Dec 11-18. This was my first time at a 5 star resort in Cuba. I have been to several 3.5 or 4 star resorts in Cuba and received better food with MORE variety. For a 5 star resort I had higher expectations. The lunch buffet was very similar to the dinner buffet options. I was allowed to book 2 a la cart restaurants and I choose the oriental and french. The oriental was terrible, the quality and portions of the food given was embarrassing. The french restaurant did have some better options.

We stayed in room 1126 which looked out to the pool area. Our hotel room was noisy as it was one of the closest rooms to the lobby, but it was the most convenient as far as getting to the buffet and pool. Our room was quite dirty when we first arrived, we had to clean off all the mirrors in the room to actually see. We did have issues with towels throughout the week, seemed as if the resort ran out of towels for both in room and for the beach. We exchanged our beach towel 3 times during the week because the towel guy was not visible. When he was visible he told us the towels are sent 50km away to get washed and dried and therefore he did not have any on hand.

The beach was a close walk to the hotel. There were several carts that would drive guests back and forth to the hotel. The beach was very small, I had to wake up early to ensure I got a beach chair with shade. There were very limited spots on the beach during my stay. During this time of year, the tide comes in around 3-4pm and this makes even more limited space for beach chairs. Compared to the other resorts close by on the beach, this resort had the smallest beach and was the most crowded.

I stayed at the pool a few days to mix up the scenery. During this time of year and because of the design of the hotel, the sun hides behind the hotel at 4pm which shades the entire pool area.

The employees were very friendly and assertive. Many people were giving out big tips and quite frequent tips. This may change the quality of service for those who do not tip after every single drink or every single meal. We did notice lots of employees expecting tips for small encounters. As a younger couple we were stopped by many employees who had asked us to exchange our left over convertible pesos for their canadian dollar tips. This was another way to make more money from tips given as they were requesting 1 pesos for $1 canadian (even though 1 pesos is $0.12 more).

5 Thank amanda a
Gildas_Renaux, Director General at Hotel Melia Marina Varadero, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Dear customer, thank you for reporting your impressions on the Trip Advisor Web page.
We will look closely to the various constructive remarks you send us. Our facilities are brand new and I am sure that very soon, all the details you reported will be fixed. We will be definitely working hard to make it happened and I am convinced that upon your return if you give us a second chance you will see the difference.
I am glad to see that you appreciated the friendly attitude of our employees and I would like to insist on the fact that tip is not an obligation in our “all inclusive” resort. This one should be based and only based, if you decide so, on the good service you receive from our employees.
Thank you again for your feedback and I hope to see you soon back at the Melia Marina Varadero.
Belfast -Northern Ireland
Reviewed December 19, 2013

It took approx 2 ½ hours to drive to the hotel from Havana airport, make sure you have transport arranged as after the buses leave later in the evening the taxi drivers don’t want to do a 5 hour return trip. The hotel is at the end of a very long peninsula which we knew so it didn’t bother us. We arrived in about 11pm and were met by a member of staff who when we told him where we were from he was able to tell us what room we were in. At the reception desk we were greeted with smiles and a refreshing punch drink which was definitely needed.

We actually picked one of the studio apartments, which in hindsight as we were fully inclusive we really didn’t need to do as we never used any of the extra facilities. The apartments are located in a separate building from the main hotel which is about a 3-5 minute walk but there are little golf carts that can take you around. The room was very clean and fresh with a very comfortable king sized bed, sofa, table & chairs, TV with Canadian channels, ensuite bathroom with powerful shower, fridge, stove and kitchen utensils. We had a balcony that overlooked the marina, which although was nice, wasn’t too impressive as there is still work being done in the marina. The apartment complex had its own rooftop pool with a large number of sunloungers and bar which was handy. We actually never lay here as we found that the main pool had a better atmosphere, but its nice if you want some peace & quiet. There is a small shop in this complex which sells wine, pasta, biscuits, cigarettes, beer, but again if you are all inclusive you won’t really have any need for this.

One thing that the hotel could improve on is the information it provides. We were given a single sheet of paper with some information when we checked in. I was expecting a book with lots more information and a map in the room but there was nothing. There were a few maps stationed around the hotel but we still had to hunt out to how to get to the pool, where the restaurant reservation reception was, where exactly the different bars and restaurants were. A map of the site would be great.
There is wifi in the hotel which is actually quite fast but it wasn’t cheap 4.50CUC (£2.75) for a hour

We only spent 4 days here and spent most of our time at the main pool which actually is 3 pools with a snack bar, wet bar and a large number of sunloungers. We were there early Nov which is before high season and so we had no problem getting a sunlounger. One thing is that you might have trouble getting a parasol for shade. The parasols are stuck into the concrete so you can’t move them about and there isn’t a huge number of them. There is music and entertainment through the day (aqua aerobics, dancing, games) and so there would be a bit of noise during the day for the rooms that overlook the pool, but it all goes quiet about 6pm and so this side would be quiet during the night. The snack bar is open 24/7 and serves basic snack food as a few sandwiches, small pizza, pasta etc… I found the food average and basic here but OK to keep you going
The beach is a 5 minute walk from the main pool, over a bridge, it is quite small and has a number of sunloungers and larger palm tree like parasols. There is a bar beside the sunloungers but it is very makeshift being a table stuck in the sand. There is also a snack bar just off the beach but we never ate there.

We didn't go on any trips while staying here as we were travelling to Santa Clara, Trinidad, Cienfuegos and Havana via the Vizul bus after our stay here

The buffet is the main restaurant serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. Check the times as the times on the piece of paper we got at check in wasn’t right. I found the buffet great, good selection of tasty food, western and Cuban. Breakfast there is a large number of cold meats, pastries, bread, fruit, cereal, yoghurt, hot items that changed each day and there was a cook to order omelette / fried egg station. You could say that lunch and dinner were quite similar but again a large amount of offer, hot and cold food and a cook to order fish, meat and pasta station. In the evenings there would be live music playing. I’m not sure what other restaurants were open but we only managed to book into one – The Hemmingway one. Again a good selection of food.
Each evening there was entertainment provided on the marina side, for the rooms overlooking this side it would be quiet during the day and some noise from 10:30pm onwards. Each night had a theme – retro night, dance night, cuba night, Michael Jackson night etc.. – and there was dancing and singing. It was a little cheesy at times but you were able to relax at the outside bar and watch.

The only small grumble I had about the entire trip was on our last morning we wanted to grab a quick breakfast before we had to get the Vizaul bus, we were told the buffet opened at 7am and so was there for that time. We weren’t allowed in and told it was going to be 7:15. We waited along with a couple of other groups and at 7:15 were told another 5 mins. After this we went in to realise that they hadn’t even started putting out the food so it was going to be a lot longer than 5 mins, The staff member offered to make us a sandwich but we really had to go at that time and so went without any breakfast

Although we were only here for 4 days we had a great time, it was a great place to relax and chill, the facilities were good and the staff and service were fantastic. They were always smiling, saying good morning, asking you were, making sure you had everything you needed, all without being too over the top and annoying

Room Tip: Rooms in the main hotel overlooking the pool have a better view while the work on the marina is bein...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank littlemissneve
Dear customers, it is always encouraging for all our team at the Melia Marina Varadero to receive such positive feedback on our client’s stay in our resort.
This will encourage us to try even harder to do it better. It is true that the apartments are another amazing option for people who want to be a little bit a part form the hotel while enjoying the same services and facilities as the hotel’s guests.
Our gold cart service allow you to go anywhere around the property from the main pool area up to the beach area almost 24 hours a day even if the hotel is only 100 meters far from the apartments
Concerning the hotel map, we are actually working on it and they should be ready by the beginning of the year.
For your information the breakfast starts at 7.30 a.m but we do have next to the pool a 24 hours service snack bar serving breakfast very early in the morning.
Again thank you for your positive comments and I hope to see you soon back to the sunny island of Cuba.
Chilliwack, Canada
Reviewed December 18, 2013

We stayed Dec 9-16 in room 1263, which faced the pool area. It was a good location as we were close to everything within the hotel. The room was nice with a large open shower area and a very deep tub. We had a king sized bed which was firm but that's how we like it.

Location: This resort is pretty much at the end of the peninsula. No driver would take you into town for less than $20 each way. The beach is a couple minute walk across a bridge. It wasn't a problem.

Food: We consider ourselves 'foodies' but also knew that our expectations would have to be drastically lowered going to Cuba. We did not realize the full extent to which this would be true. The buffet was almost inedible and the a la cartes (we tried French, Latin and Oriental) did not fare much better. For example, at the beach bar I ordered calamari. What I received was onion rings with ground something inside (sure wasn't squid!). At the pool snack bar, I ordered pizza. What we received was a pita bread with deli meat and melted kraft singles. Another time we ordered ham and cheese sandwiches and we got one thin slice of ham with cheese on a stale dry bread. All meals were variations of this. When we mentioned to the server our food complaints they agreed with us and basically said that their hands were tied and until management received more complaints they would have to continue serving food this way.

I wish that resorts would make Cuban food for their visitors. I don't travel to another country to eat their take on Americanized reproductions what they feel we would want to eat.

Money: There is a exchange house on site by reception. You cannot take out pesos on your Visa here, they will only exchange Canadian dollars to pesos. The rate was decent for a hotel. Unfortunately the exchange was only open until 8pm so ensure you don't wait until evening to change money.

I would like to specifically mention the lobby bar for making excellent drinks. Alberto made me delicious gin martinis and mojitos! Unfortunately after our first evening Alberto was moved to bell boy. His talents are needed back at the bar!! His smiling face and conversation coupled with his mixology was dearly missed.

Would also like to mention the floating restaurant in the marina area but not part of the all inclusive. We went for lunch here and ordered the BBQ seafood for two. It was absolutely delicious and well worth the $50 price tag. I would encourage anyone looking for some real food to go here.

Overall the resort is quite beautiful as it is new. Maybe once the property has been opened for more than a few months issues will get worked out in terms of food quality. Also it would be nice to have some more 'fun' in the pool area. Rarely was there music or activities of any kind and it made things somewhat boring for us (28 and 33 years old).

We also went in to Havana and spend a night in a casa. This is a story for another thread but I would like to echo others comments re: bringing gifts to Cubans. Stop doing it! Tourists are breeding a greedy and lazy nation. Stop feeling sorry for their level of living. Realize that it is OK that they do not live to Canadian standards (and quite frankly while the reactions of the giftees were gracious, I could tell that they were slightly embarrassed as the tourist is insinuating that the worker cannot provide for their family on their own). If anyone wants to discuss this in further detail, message me!

I think that if we were to go to Cuba again, we would not choose Melia Marina resort mostly due to the food experience and the physical location of the property being so far out of town. If anyone has any questions, feel free to message me!

8 Thank WinstonandFriends
Gildas_Renaux, Director General at Hotel Melia Marina Varadero, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear guest, thank you so much for reporting your feedback on the Trip advisor Web page.
As usual we will carefully look after your comments with our quality committee in order to analyze every single point of your message.
We took good note of the fact that you would like to see more Cuban/Latin food experience in our resort. May be because of the shortness of your stay you did not have the opportunity to experiment our “Cuban Night” every Thursday as well as the Cuban/Latin specialties in our “Don Ernesto” restaurant dedicated to the Latin food.
For what I can see, your main concern is the quality and variety of our food at the buffet. As you mentioned on your comments and since the hotel is new, please give us a second chance upon your return, since we still have to open additional restaurants and bars in our resort within the next 4 months.
I did not see any mention relative to our 4 a la carte restaurant opened for diner which, so far have been highly appreciated by most of our clientele without mentioning our panoramic restaurant dedicated to the “The Level” clients of our hotel.
Please do not hesitate to contact me personally upon your return in Cuba since I would you to change your opinion about our food quality and to join the enthusiastic majority of our customers.
Warmest regards.
Saint Thomas, Canada
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We travelled form Dec 7th to the 14th. This was our third trip to Varadero and seventh to Cuba. There was seven of us: my husband and I are early retirees, our daughter, her husband and their three boys..ages 12, 12 and 14. Although we booked last minute...less than twenty four hours, we checked with an agent that had been to the hotel and she assured us the hotel was downtown, five star and a thirty minute drive from the airport. The drive ended up being closer to an hour and a half, because not only were we NOT downtown, but at the very end of the strip of hotels (with only one further out than us) and we had to stop at hotels along the way. Two groups arrived together and we waited in line in the lobby for an hour without anyone greeting us or offering us a drink. Reception said this was standard treatment for new arrivals.
Our rooms 1459, 1465, 1467 were clean and had an excellent view of the Marina and the beach beyond. The air conditioning in 1459 was sketchy and a call for repair didn't seem to fix the problem. Luckily there was a wonderful breeze and we could manage with the patio door open when we slept. The beds were comfortable. There is glass doors between the bathroom and the main room and also a glass door on the wc which made it a tad awkward when we were visiting each other.
There is not many dining options once you have used your two reservations for the a la carte restaurants. The buffet was cold and the only real hot food was the pasta bar at dinner and the omelet bar at breakfast. The service was amazing at all the restaurants, with special mention to the beach restaurant and pool restaurant.
The beach was great, the staff helpful and we were able to use the boats without any wait. No problem finding a beach chair.
Be aware that this is NOT a beach front property. There is a trolley to take you over the highway to the beach. The trolleys are always available and the trek is short. It is possible to walk.
There is a currency exchange in the lobby where you can convert Canadian money for a fee.
The bus into Varadero is 5 Cuban dollars and you can hop on- hop off. It is a long way because the hotel is so far out. The bus goes all the way to the end of the main street, then waits for 20 minutes before turning around to return toward the hotel area. You can buy a drink, an ice cream or something to eat while you wait.
We didn't see any of the nightly production shows. The performers in the Lobby were very entertaining, from the musicians to the interpretive dancers.
Maybe because the property is new we found there was little to no signing of areas. Our first night we spent twenty minutes wandering around looking for the pool bar and restaurant.

Room Tip: "Higher floors have more privacy and a better view."
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
12 Thank Pamela H
Gildas_Renaux, Director General at Hotel Melia Marina Varadero, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear Guest, it is with pleasure that we read your nice comments on Trip advisor and I thank you so much for mentioning the genuine Cuban attitude of our employees. I am glad to see that you particularly enjoyed our A la Carte restaurants.
Concerning the buffet we decided to add a micro wave for our guest in case the food is not warm enough at their test.
In what the signalization concerns, we still waiting for the hotel map to be designed as well as most of the signage in order to inform the guests about our facilities and their location.
I regret that you had to wait that long for the check-in and we will definitely try to handle this process faster in the future.
Thank you again for your comments which will help us to rectify any little details until we reach the 100% of customer’s satisfaction.
Chatham, Canada
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Although not what most people would consider a 5 star, the Melia Marina compared to other Cuban resorts is an excellent choice. The property surrounding the hotel is still under construction but it does not interfere with the hotel guest's activities. The view overlooking the marina is beautiful but when the shopping plaza and the marina is finished it may become very busy. The rooms are very nice, but previous comments about the shower overflowing onto the floor are correct. Bed are comfortable and the air conditioning works great! They have quite a good selection of alcohol brands and drinks were great. Food was fine in the buffet but one suggestion would be to have "theme" nights and change up the main courses. Lunch and dinner at the buffet was pretty much the same. The a la carte restaurants were very good, especially the Asian. The staff were great, extremely willing to help and always friendly. Pool was a bit on the cool side but not bone chilling. Beach was very small but there isn't too much that can be done. The bridge over the road way is going to cause problems...the golf carts and pedestrians share it and it is not wide enough to accommodate both. Overall it is a very nice hotel, I would recommend it to anyone visiting Varadero.

Room Tip: We were given a room on the pool level, but proved to be too noisy for us due to the disco. We were...
7 Thank Mrsmom89
Dear Guest, thank you for reporting your comments and constructive criticism on Trip advisor.
I am glad to see that overall you had a great stay in our resort and that you will not hesitate in coming back upon your return on the sunny Cuba.
Thank you for highlighting the genuine attitude of our employees as well as the good quality of our theme restaurants. We have so far only one theme night on the buffet which is the Cuban night on Thursday. We are going to come soon with additional theme nights for sure.
Our beach size will be extended within the next few weeks, so our guests will have more space to enjoy.
We hope to see you soon back at the Melia Marina Varadero.
Thank you again for your nice comments.
ONTARIO
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We stayed on DEC 5/13 for a week on or honeymoon. The people at the hotel made our stay a wonderful experience, from a special dinner for the 4 honeymoon couples to breakfast in the room on day, cheese, chocolates and fruit each day. The room was very clean and housekeeping staff did a wonderful job. The spec. resturantes latin and French were great service there definitely a 5 star. Customer service even called to make sure all was going well. The beach was the best I have been at (my 4th trip to cuba) The resturante at the beach was very good and the one at the pool side was also good. On the negative side the hot dishes at the buffet were always only luke warm eg. spat. veggies etc etc. On the safety side the wooden floor bridge over the pool is an accident waiting to happen (almost slipped and fell) did not use this again. Would definitely rec. this hotel to my friends. Note these people working at this hotel or any in cuba need your tips and so for good service tip accordingly.

Room Tip: We stayed on the pool side which at night is very quiet and no smell like marina side.
5 Thank SNUGGIE1
Dear friend from Ontario, thank you for writing your comments on trip Advisor concerning your holidays at the Melia Marina Varadero.
It is so encouraging for all of us to receive such positive comments on our resort! I am glad to see that our customer service reacted so fast to your needs and I can see that you truly enjoyed the quality of our food.
I am glad to read your comments concerning also the genuine attitude of our staff. I am really proud of all of them and they are definitely part of the success story of our resort.
We hope to see you soon back on the sunny Cuba and I thank you again for recommending so high the Melia Marina Varadero.