Date of stay: November 5-12, 2012 (a little delayed in reviewing)
Beach: The beach was excellent; clean and maintained daily with plenty of shade. The water was nice as well however during our stay we were hit with some fairly cold, cloudy and windy weather which made the water cold and murky and the beach inhospitable at times. On sunny and calm days the beach was terrific.
Hotel grounds: The hotel was pretty much as nice as it gets in Cuba. It’s well maintained, clean and looks fairly new. The room we stayed in was big with a hard bed and deflated pillows, which is standard it seems in Cuba. It was pretty clean although I have yet to stay at a place in Cuba where the cleanliness was actually on par with a 4 or 5 star hotel in North America. The first day we arrived, the TV and the phone were not working but the hotel staff were quick to fix that. However, we learned the following day that not too far outside our balcony was a big construction project for another hotel building. At first it was sporadic but then it became fairly regular (early morning and late evening) and disturbed our sleep on several occasions. I’m sure we could asked for another room however I had already unpacked and it seemed more trouble than it was worth. In addition the room service was not very good despite the tips. On a few days the maid didn’t come until 5pm and another day she only gave us new towers. I would say overall the hotel lost points on the rooms.
Food: The food was very good for Cuban resort food. The buffet was huge and plentiful. There was always something to eat with lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. I definitely recommend the pasta.
We went to 3 a la carte restaurants: Japanese/Sakura, Italian/Firenze and French/Marseille. They were pre-booked for us when we arrived which was convenient. The ambiance of all 3 was just excellent and I’d have to say they were the nicest a la cartes I have been to in Cuba. Everything from the service, the décor, the music was perfect. The Japanese was my favourite. My husband and I are not fans of seafood and the chef 100% catered to our needs and ensured that no seafood was added when he made the stir-fry for all the guests sitting around the hotplate.
Entertainment: Overall the entertainment was decent. We watched the night show a few times and it was OK. There was a fancy little piano bar that we liked to sit at as well as the lobby bar. Nothing amazing but again who comes there for the night shows!
Overall: I would recommend this hotel for couples. The beach (when not cold and windy) was nice, the hotel was fancy and new, the food was good and service (except for our room) was excellent! I would however recommend waiting for a sale because the regular price during high season is a bit inflated.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort & SPA is located in Varadero Beach, the Cuban sun and beach tourist destination for excellence. This stunning Ultra All-Inclusive 5-star hotel is designed only for adults over 18. The property houses 434 rooms equipped with modern comforts and provides a varied gastronomic offer, daily activities, swimming pool and meeting rooms which convey an ambiance of quietness and service. Discover the magical peace of this hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and Prodigios Interactivos SA so you can book your Paradisus Princesa del Mar Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort And Spa
- Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Hotel Varadero
- Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Varadero
- Paradisus Princesa Varadero
- Princesa Del Mar