“Great resort for couples”

Paradisus Princesa del Mar Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Toronto, Canada
“Great resort for couples”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Date of stay: November 5-12, 2012 (a little delayed in reviewing)

Beach: The beach was excellent; clean and maintained daily with plenty of shade. The water was nice as well however during our stay we were hit with some fairly cold, cloudy and windy weather which made the water cold and murky and the beach inhospitable at times. On sunny and calm days the beach was terrific.

Hotel grounds: The hotel was pretty much as nice as it gets in Cuba. It’s well maintained, clean and looks fairly new. The room we stayed in was big with a hard bed and deflated pillows, which is standard it seems in Cuba. It was pretty clean although I have yet to stay at a place in Cuba where the cleanliness was actually on par with a 4 or 5 star hotel in North America. The first day we arrived, the TV and the phone were not working but the hotel staff were quick to fix that. However, we learned the following day that not too far outside our balcony was a big construction project for another hotel building. At first it was sporadic but then it became fairly regular (early morning and late evening) and disturbed our sleep on several occasions. I’m sure we could asked for another room however I had already unpacked and it seemed more trouble than it was worth. In addition the room service was not very good despite the tips. On a few days the maid didn’t come until 5pm and another day she only gave us new towers. I would say overall the hotel lost points on the rooms.

Food: The food was very good for Cuban resort food. The buffet was huge and plentiful. There was always something to eat with lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. I definitely recommend the pasta.

We went to 3 a la carte restaurants: Japanese/Sakura, Italian/Firenze and French/Marseille. They were pre-booked for us when we arrived which was convenient. The ambiance of all 3 was just excellent and I’d have to say they were the nicest a la cartes I have been to in Cuba. Everything from the service, the décor, the music was perfect. The Japanese was my favourite. My husband and I are not fans of seafood and the chef 100% catered to our needs and ensured that no seafood was added when he made the stir-fry for all the guests sitting around the hotplate.

Entertainment: Overall the entertainment was decent. We watched the night show a few times and it was OK. There was a fancy little piano bar that we liked to sit at as well as the lobby bar. Nothing amazing but again who comes there for the night shows!

Overall: I would recommend this hotel for couples. The beach (when not cold and windy) was nice, the hotel was fancy and new, the food was good and service (except for our room) was excellent! I would however recommend waiting for a sale because the regular price during high season is a bit inflated.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Director Genera... P, Director General at Paradisus Princesa del Mar Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 15, 2014
Dear Amelle83,
We feel very proud to acknowledge you show so enthusiastic about choosing our resort for your holiday some months ago. We will extent your compliments to our employees, definitely our strongest point, so they keep motivated to provide their usual friendly and professional service.
Since your stay, we have made several changes and improvements which would help you to feel even better than in your last stay. We invite you to enjoy them.
We will be waiting for your return and, meantime, I send you my best regards from the sunny Cuba.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,114)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2013

July 2010 we went here for our 35th anniversary. Amazing beach, staff very helpful, food
very good, small and intimate resort. Quiet, would definately return. Nothing bad to say
about this resort. It is a couples resort though. Do find the costs for this hotel a bit too
high though.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank marilyn h
Dear Marilyn h
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Let me say first of all, we were doing the same thing as you right now. Reading the reviews for this resort,and trying to get a feel for what we might expect.Most were good,and some were vicious.So its hard to get an accurate read sometimes.
The resort itself is not a 5 star,and its not fair to rate it at that,.It is older,and there are more splashier,and more elegant properties in Varadero. Its still beautiful!.The breakfast Buffet is fabulous,the dinner is good,and the supper is plain. The restaurants are a great alternative to the supper buffets,so book them at the reservation desk Bring long pants!!!They might not let you in if you don't.
A few sand flies on the beach..just spray the ankles before going on
ALL this said,the real value is the staff/people. They are a humble,and obliging group,that are interested in OUR language and culture. The beach and pool are absolutely spectacular! The rooms are nice,and ours was always clean.
My biggest advice,is to relax and enjoy what this staff and property has to offer. The buildings are not 5 star,but that group will REMIND you how to slow down,and thats what really makes the 5 stars.
Thank you Cuba,and Paradisus,and we hope to return soon.
PS
See Ruben in the reservation room to plan your day trip to Havana. '57 Chevy for the day tour

3 Thank larryjoebird
Dear larryjoebird,
Iroquois,Ontario
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We booked a last minute all-inclusive to the Paradisus Princesa Del Mar in Varader, Cuba for Feb 1st - 8th....

We had alway avoided Cuba for the same old reasons that we'd heard over and over time and time again.... (that the weather / temperature could be risky/ coolish and that the food quality was poor). So we booked @ a 5 star and went with expectations not to be too critical of what we got...after all we had a great deal with taxes in, so what the heck......

This holiday EXCEED our expectations....... The Paradisus Princesa Del Mar was beautiful, the food, the service, and the holiday overall was wonderful...

Our flight was delayed in Ottawa with Sunwing due to two technical issues that aborted two take offs. The technicians did their magic and the 3rd was a charm and off we went....For our troulbes we were offered free beverages and headphones....When we arrived at the airposrt we wisked through Customs, luggage pick-up and our bus was waiting right outside the terminal. When we arrived at the resort we had seperated check-in, were given champagne welcome drinks and our rooms were ready for us immediately...painless!

We found our room to be very nice and clean...our maid made sure that our room was spotless and that the fridge was stocked daily! Thanks....

The resort was beautiful! It had one of the nicest layouts I have ever seen. The Lobby, Buffet, a la cartes and all Guest Services were centrally located and easy to find. The pool area was beautiful and clean...and there was always an abundance of loungers...(cushioned and covered ones)...the gym and spa facilites were nice....the gym offered a variety of equipment that took care of all my aerobic and weight bearning needs.

This resort is not a huge mega resort.... Everything was easy to find and you could be anywhere that you wanted to be with a easy 5 minute walk max :) There was some construction but we were never bothered by it....

The beach was beautiful and clean and there was no end to it in either direction as far as the eye could see, There watersport equipment was always available, weather permitting and we were able to enjoy a Hobby Cat ride (small catamarran). This was included in the package and our guide took us out for approximately a three-quarter hour ride.

The first two days of our holidy were overcast, but by no mean cool. The temperature those days was 23 C, however it did not feel like the 23 we would see here at home. It was still warm enough for shorts or a swim suit. The sun came out on the third day and stayed out the remainder of the week. The temperature ranged from 27 to 29 C. It was hot, but I'm not complaining. We loved it!

The food at the buffet and the a la cartes was great! The presentation was nice as well....The drinks were good as well....We found premium brands that we can find here at home in the Piano Bar.... There is also a Cigar Bar there as well.....

The enterainment crew worked hard the offer the guest a variety of things to do...there was Zumba at the beach and the pool....There was also yoga on the beach as well as volleyball and water aerobics...there was no shortage of things to do.... the shows at nite were also good!

Rather than taking the bus tour into Havana we elected to hire a cab for the day....We left a 7am with our driver Ali in a 1957 Chevy Bel Aire and returned to the resort at approximately 5 pm. He took us around Havana , to the forts and Old Town, to Revolution Square and the Capital Building and anywhere pretty much that we wanted to go..... He was pleasant, knowledgeable and courteous and was able to give us lots of insight as to what life in Cuba is like and some of it's history. The day cost us 180 cuban convertable pesos for four people. Very reasonable...... Ali took us to La Casa for lunch...from the outside it doesn't look like much but on the inside it is a toop notch restaurant.... We really enjoyed it....We had our choice between chicken, beef, fish, pork or lobster and then you selected rice, potatoes or beans to accompany as the main. There was soup, salad, a desert and a cocktail included as well for about 20 pesos each. It was great!

Overall we had a wonderful time and would not hesitate returning to the Paradisus Princesa Del Mar or recommending it to friends or family..... Thanks for such a great holiday!!!

2 Thank Anita45
Dear Anita45,
Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed here February 2013 to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Weather was good with 6 days of sun and warm weather. I have stayed at many all-inclusive resorts {Cuba, Punta Cana, Mexico} so I think I can give a clear review and ratings of some key points..{1-5 rating}..

Location {5} - at the far end of the beach {which by Cubans refer to as the premium area} Only the best hotels are located there {Iberostar, Sandals, and this Hotel} Drive was 45 min. from airport

Room {3} - basic, but clean. We did not upgrade but it may be worth it if you want a better room. Beds are hard and we both had difficulty sleeping. TV is old 24" CRT style with CNN and CTV Montreal available. We were in the 4000 building and close to the construction. Not pleasant but not too intrusive, Toilet paper seems to be in short supply, Robes are OK but nothing fancy. ....

Grounds {5}- clean, nicely layed out, You can see they have and are putting in efforts to maintain and upgrade the gardens. Friendly gardeners. Tennis courts are pretty good but bring your own rackets and balls.....

Pool {4} - 1 free-formed pool with swim up bar, pool volley ball. chairs can be hard to come by and those beds pretty much never available.

Buffet {3+} - breakfast good, lunch good, dinner sucked. I was surprised to see the dinner was pretty much the same as lunch. Only a couple on new things. It was good we got 5 al-a cart dinners.

Restaurants {4} - racket club is a nice place for lunch or breakfast if you are sick of the buffet. Pretty good cappuccino. Beach BBQ for burgers and hot dogs. Near the beach is a descent lunch restaurant. Japanese, Chinese, French, Italian restaurants are in the main square. Japanese is the best, and I enjoyed it very much. Chinese is something to pass on as it is really just ok. French and Italian are both nice but with some limited food choices. The hilltop is the choice restaurant and it is up in the royal section. Very high class, single menu {surf and turf} only. {REMEMBER this is Cuba. Food choices can be limited and if you go there with that understanding then it will a good experience}. All restaurants offered really good Chilean Wines.....

Entertainment {5+}. This is where this resort outclass every other resort I have ever been too. 2-3 nights we had live rock bands playing in the outdoor main square. Most resorts I have been to have those awful lip-singing and salsa dancers. {not that there is anything wrong with that}. This resort has it too {downstairs in the disco} but to hear a live rock band doing cover songs of the Beatles, guns and roses, ACDC, Rolling stones, and more. Well that alone was something I was not expecting. Well done to the resort for giving the paying customer a great show. Other things to do - large chess and checkers, indoor and outdoor billiards, Nice lobby bar, Nice spa too. My wife particularly like the manicure. Well worth the 20cuc......

Beach {4+}. Nice beach. No trees so the only shade is under those hatch umbrellas. Water was mostly calm, beach volley ball is good and they have many activities if you want it {yoga, water exercise etc}. I felt the beaches in Bavaro Punta Cana were slightly better and the beach in Santa Clara {Iberostar Ensenachos} was far superior. Not to say it was good, but this is my 1st time to Varadero and I thought it would blow me away..

We also did the bus into Varadero so see the sights and flea markets. They were pretty good and a nice side trip. I would have liked to skydive as you may see them land on the beach {$180} but I ran out of time. There are many excursions and everyone I spoke to liked them all....

overall a good trip. I would have to say, if you are looking for a pretty decent beach getaway, ok food and good entertainment then I would recommend it. It is not a 5 star in my opinion. More like a 4 to a 4+. The reason....no WiFi, pretty standard rooms, some bathrooms and sinks were not in working condition, certain areas were in disrepair, cheap plastic drink cups {bring you own mug} and the new construction, One other thing I like about out this resort. It was not too big. I have been to other resorts where the distances between your room, beach and lobby were really too far. This one was just right. I did also notice this hotel is wheelchair friendly. ...

I would say I am 50-50 on going back to this resort. I really enjoy good food so that is maybe why I wouldn't go back.

3 Thank R0b_and_lisa
Dear R0b and lisa,
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Stay: January 27-Feburary 3. Weather not great only 3/7 days had sun. Other days were overcast and windy.

This resort is in no way a 5 star. Even considering that it is Cuba, it still did not meet my expectations. I stayed at the Tryp Peninsula 7 years ago and it was about the same, perhaps even better. Considering all resorts are owned by the government and that the government can import whatever it wants, this 5 star should've had better equipment and materials, and should have at the very least paid attention to detail and service if they are unable to provide quality in the food or facilities. Besides that, if you are looking for a party place, this is not it. The crowd is an average of 45-50 years old. Us being in our 30's were the youngin's of the bunch. People were nice though, but nightlife and daytime sporty activities on the beach were lacking. The only reason to stay in Varadero is if you want to go to Havana, otherwise I believe you'll find nicer resorts in other areas of Cuba.
Grounds: Overall the shared grounds were nice and well kept. The resort is not too large right now which is nice, but they are currently expanding (which means construction can be heard). Tennis courts look okay - better than some of the ones we have in Toronto, however the raquets are ancient so bring your own.
Room - Junior Deluxe Suite: Room was by no means a 5 star, more like a 3 star. The minibar is a mini fridge with cans of soda and two cans of beer. The fridge was not dirty however it also had definite signs of wear, age and rust. The TV was a 20" tube flat screen, with a variety of channels including CNN and CTV which was a bonus. The bathroom was a typical caribbean bathroom, with typical tiling, however the tub, though clean(ish), had signs of wear and shody workmanship. It was spacious, however the space could've been used more efficiently - for example the addition of a stand up shower. The water pressure was brutal at this resort. To have a hot shower you would have to compromise by extremely low water pressure and basically stand by the wall to have the water fall over you. If you are into cold showers you are in luck since that was the only way to get decent water pressure. The hair dryer is one of those cheap ones that looked dirty, so either bring your own hair dryer or some antibacterial wipes. The maid service was so-so. They would come to our room around 9 AM, knock once and open the door - this happened twice until we put the do not disturb sign up. After we put the sign up, it happened once more (an example of a lack of attention to detail, such as the DO NOT DISTURB sign!). Every room has a patio or balcony which was nice, but it could have used a more thorough sweeping. There were also no screen doors on the sliding doors which was a welcome for moths. The AC blows right onto the bed, so we were cold at night or had to turn the AC off since there didn't seem to be a middle ground. The bed was AWFUL. I could feel the coils as well as hear them, and the pillows were lumpy, small and flat.
Spa: Massage was nice, however we tried to show up early to use the spa facilities and they kept telling us to come back - odd. Then we were rushed into our room for the massage. My husband got the switcheroo and realized after he turned over that it was a man massaging him. No big deal, but we thought they could've been more upfront with that. I had a pedicure which took me longer than an hour - wasting time indoors on one of our only sunny days. The pedicure itself was pretty good looking, but she was a bit rough on cleaning under the nails - my fault for being to polite to tell her. I could tell she was trying very hard though.
Food: Not great. I know it is Cuba and nobody expects good food in Cuba, and granted it is resort food cooked at mass quantities, HOWEVER, I had great food in a little restaurant called La Casa in Havana. This resort didn't even have the rice and black bean staple in the 7 days we stayed there. They had a large variety at the buffet, however the quality was lacking, even the potatoes were a hit or miss, sometimes being under cooked. I basically ate a lot of pasta and omelettes. I'm not a picky eater when it comes to variety, but I am picky when it comes to taste and quality. They have five A La Carte restaurants. We made it to three. First of all the reservation process needs a revamp. Waiting for one guy to be available to book restaurants just isn't cutting it. Besides booking restaurants he does other bookings for taxi's and such. I'm guessing you need to go really early to meet him if you want to beat the rush. It took an hour to book restaurants. We went to BAMBOO for Chinese - it's not chinese. I am, and I can't say I've ever had spaghetti noodles in my stir fry. I knew that would be the case though and ordered fried rice instead. It was loaded with soya sauce and difficult to eat. We also had dinner at SAKURA, the japanese teppanyaki place. Decent because of the show the chef puts on, food was okay, but by no means authentic. He loaded tonnes of salt, soy and oil, and the Japanese tend to cook a little leaner than that. Sakura was probably my favourite of the bunch. Lastly, we went to MARSEILLE, the french place. Not at all french, but I suppose it was their interpretation of french. I don't blame the staff since they aren't allowed to travel, but why doesn't the government hire some consultants? Anyway, there was a lot of sea food at the french place. I had the fish which was over-cooked and expected. The flambed beef was actually decent. But the other dishes all had a bit of fishiness to it. Also the seating took over 2 hours which was only because service was slow. Creme Brulee for desert, which I ALWAYS get whenever it is on a menu, and it was pretty gross. The staff put in the effort to show you how they caramelize the top with a torch, but under the caramel coating, is lumpy (almost curdled) custard. The restaurant by the beach was decent and had light entertainment and ferel cats roaming for food. I didn't really like how birds were flying around the buffet area and staff didn't shoo them off the food. I saw a little sparrow take off with some bread. I found that I couldn't finish most of my food at any restaurant and felt terrible for being so wasteful, but I just couldn't down it. Spent most of my meals at the Racquette Club which is open 24 hours. Service was generally good there. I heard the Hilltop restaurant was good, but we didn't even know about it until it was too late.

Beach: GREAT beach. Love the sand and the water, although I think a crab pinched me under water. They always have enough loungers however they could use more umbrellas.
Pool: Pool is nice and sometimes too quiet. Its clean, although I don't like public pools so didn't go in, but I assume because its an older crowd that its cleaner and that there is less pee in it. Service around the pool was good and they had some fun activities I didn't partake in but my husband did - such as water volleyball. I just wish people wouldn't monopolize the loungers while they go have lunch or do whatever. Too many people were claiming loungers AND cabanas at the same time.
Entertainment: The nightly entertainment was okay. Nothing too exciting and you always see the same dancers and bands. I can't tell you how many times I heard "guantanamera." The disco had potential but nobody was ever in it unfortunately. I quite enjoyed the magic show.
Service: Service is generally good here, but not excellent. Although staff are quite friendly and hard working, I think the standards just aren't there to provide 5 star service. We did a mini survey of guests and found service was quite inconsistent when it came to replenishing room water and beverages. They only did it the first day we checked in. All other days we had to call multiple times to request more water or beer. Some guests had no problem with this. I found this quite annoying since it seems like the simplest little luxury to fulfill. I also want to mention that it would've been good to have more of an orientation of the grounds upon check in. Although check in was nice and fast and the receptionist was very friendly, I would've liked to get a map to see where everything was. Ie. knowing what restaurants were available and where they where wouldn've been nice. Little details like that can make or break a resort. That would include some information in your room so you don't have to call for every single question you have.
Checkout: Check out is at 12, which is highly inconvenient if you have a late flight. However you can get late check out for 9 pesos per hour. Or you can book the courtesy room for an hour. BUT for some strange reason, they can't tell you until the morning of check out, if you can have either of those things. We called guest services to request late check out and ended up being harassed by the guy receptionist because somebody didn't relay the message to him. He was very angry and disgruntled and had quite the confrontation with my husband. Basically called my husband an animal, when my husband asked for an apology for being harassed (ahem - yelled at!) to check out even though we thought it was arranged... twice!

All in all, I would NOT recommend this resort. People I know that went just weeks earlier stayed at the Iberostar and the Memories and had basically the same experiences, maybe better, for less money. I did enjoy that there were no kids running around though. TIP: Take a private taxi (can be arranged at the hotel) to Havana for $150-180 total. You get a private tour guide (who sticks to you like glue unfortunately) and you are chauffeured around in a vintage american car which is kinda cool. Better than the bus tour.

Room Tip: Perhaps splurge for Royal Service if you want a 5 star room. Maybe you'll get a 4 star room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PetitAgneau
Dear PetitAgneau,
We really appreciate you take the time to post this review describing in details all our facilities, services and staff.
However, I am extremely disappointed by your comments and I am sorry to see that you did not enjoy your stay at the Paradisus Princesa del Mar I want to let you know that we have been working hard on the aspects you pointed in order we can receive you again. We invite you to check it personally in order you can enjoy our resort as you expected.
Warmest regards from the friendly and sunny island of Cuba.
London
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Do not expect the 5* in Cuba to be high standard but this hotel is the best you can get in Varadero
1.Go for Royal Service if you want to get higher standard
- You have butler to book you for restaurants so you don't have to bother
- The rooms are 1 bedroom apartments with bathroom jacuzzi and separate second toilet are much cleaner and do not smell of dump
2.No point booking sea view as it just means you be at the highest floor still far away from sea
3. It is very lively resort with great entertainment, music playing on the beach by pool etc. so if you are looking for retirement relax this is not the place !!!
4.Staff is very helpful and dollar tips will make all you request come true :)
5. Bit annoyed about the pool/beach lounges early "bookings"
6. Check your spoons and plates at main restaurant as often not clean properly
7. Booked restaurant are really good all of them but expect slow service!
8 Food in the main restaurant : a lot of choice so even if you are fussy you won't go hungry :)

If you are planning your holiday in Varadero that is the place to stay .

Room Tip: Go Royal Service these are the best rooms , do not book sea view it is far away from the sea just on...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends