“Great Hotel”

Ranked #10 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Just returned from two weeks in Cuba 3 nights in the Parque Central Havana (see my review) and 11 nights here at the Paradisus. Overall the hotel was really nice, best restaurant was the Japanese which was very popular, we did not try the French as a lot of people said it was very good. The main buffet restaurant had a great selection of food for all meals some cooked fresh while you waited, I really enjoyed my omelettes each morning. We had a ground floor room which was spacious the only downside you need to take a travel kettle if you love your cuppa in the mornings as they only have coffee perculators which never worked, also we found the maids not particularly thorough had to ask for extra towels, tea, and toilet rolls and the mini bar was never properly topped up but all the other staff in the restaurants and bars very friendly not always in a hurry to serve but as your in no hurry yourself it doesn't matter. Evening entertainment was very good to watch as well something on every night. Whilst there hurricane Sandy hit us quite strongly although we had not electric for a time and the rain was that heavy you were walking in inches of water, sun lounger blown in the pool but within 24 hours things were back to normal and you would not have believed it had happened they worked so hard to get back to normal. I stayed in the Paradisus in Guardalavaca four years ago and of the two that one rated a lot better although it was in the middle of nowhere at least this one you can catch a bus to the shops in Varadero. Thoroughly recommend a trip to the Dolphins a fabulous experience also treat yourself to a spa experience well worth the money. I would say this hotel is probably one of the best to stay in along that coast. Would recommend it.

Room Tip: Go for Blocks 2 or 3 as they are nearest the pool restaurant and bar areas.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank wendymckie9
Director Genera... P, Director General at Paradisus Princesa del Mar Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 21, 2014
Dear Guest,
We feel very proud to acknowledge you show so enthusiastic about choosing our resort for your holiday some months ago. We will extent your compliments to our employees, definitely our strongest point, so they keep motivated to provide their usual friendly and professional service.
Since your stay, we have made several changes and improvements which would help you to feel even better than in your last stay. We invite you to enjoy them.
We will be waiting for your return and, meantime, I send you my best regards from the sunny Cuba.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,114)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Lancashire
Reviewed November 4, 2012

My daughter and I have had a great last minute holiday in the Princesa (September 2012) but we couldn't believe the difference between this hotel and the Paradisus Rio du Oro in Guardalavaca where we stayed 2 years ago. The Princessa is dirty,run down, shabby and, with the exception of the staff who worked in the Buffet at Breakfast and lunch (who were lovely), a large number of the staff were rude (particularly the bar staff) and many seem only interested in getting tips off guests by telling them how badly paid they were. This hotel is sold as a 5 star hotel in the brochures, the same as the Paradisus Rio du Oro but the difference between the two is amazing, I would say the Princesa is a 3 star (even by Cuban standards)-I would urge anyone thinking of visiting Cuba to stay at the Paradisus Rio du Oro, particularly if this is a special occasion, otherwise you may leave with a very different view of Cuba. The Rio du Oro outshines the Princesa in every way possible. Having said that, the beach is lovely at Varadero and the pool at the hotel was it's nicest feature. We did had a great holiday though.

Room Tip: our room was damp, dirty and noisy (305 I think it was) The only time we had our room cleaned proper...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Heather1112222
José Carlos S, Director General at Paradisus Princesa del Mar Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Good Evening,
First of all we would like to thank you for your comment left in Tripadvisor.
After reading your lines, it is a pity to read that you did not have complete holidays with us. We take note of every subject you have pointed out as we are here to improve our service.

Our main aim is to deliver the best service we can. We do mistake but our reaction and the way we deal with issues is one of the best and I really mean it. Unfortunately, we did not know anything about it as we have found out after reading your comment.

We do respect your lines but we disagree on the fact that the hotel is a three stars one. From our point of view, the hotel is far away from being dirty, run out or shabby. Our gardens are one of the best in Cuba, our rooms are well cleaned and kept and we keep on having such as wonderful comments about our beach.

We are sure of our product, so please, if you are coming back to Cuba and want to give us a second chance, we will change your mind by showing you how good we are.

Once again, we appreciate your comment.

All the best

Ricardo Moreno
Resident Manager
director.residente.ppm@meliacuba.com
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Looking for a relaxing place? During our two weeks (14-28th of October) stay we really enjoyed this Cuban 5 star resort. The staff did everything to pease us and even let us have our room till our departure time since we were there during the inconvenient tropical storm Sandy. Indianna, thank you!
MANY THANKS to the cafeteria and restaurants à la carte staff...you are an asset to the Paradisius Hotel. Working on your day off to accomodate the hotel and still doing your positively best.
Food was good since a lot of it comes from Spain, as for the table wine is also pleasing. The cheese Brie is excellent and my husband fell in love with the Chorizo Sarta salami--thank you Pablo the Chef for being so generous...
Dayllen from the Racket Club and Cristina are two very special people.
For myself this is the first time in my many all-inclusives that I have a chance to get in shape doing YOGA everyday 9:30 or at 5 pm. Mayté, Mayellen and another young instructor, thank you so much for making my vacation more ZEN.
My last comment goes to the gardenners. The fowers and origami are a staple of the Paradisius. Please look at pictures to see how creative these people are.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ligamo
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed October 31, 2012

For a couple who has only been to Jamaica before and only to A Sandals resort, my wife and I were sceptical about Cuba in general, and the resort.

We were amazed how wonderful this resort was considering what we were used to.

Arrival:

We booked through hola sun vacations. Upon arrival in Cuba we easily found the hola sun rep which directed us to an awaiting bus to take us to the resort. Probably a 30 minute bus ride.
Upon arrival we met with the hotel rep who went over the resort features, alittle hard to understand language wise, but very helpful. We had to wait for an hour and a bit for our room, do we had lunch at the buffet while waiting. After eating, we were given our room, keys, and reservations picked for us for the week to the a la cartes.

The Room:

We booked a junior superior suite, with partial ocean view. The room itself was nice, ocean view was a very tiny view of the ocean blocked by trees, not a big deal. The mini bar was stocked with cola, lemon lime pop, orange pop, and beer, ( the pop is not name brand that you could get in canada.).

Each day staff would knock on your door and ask if you needed refills. if you are out they will refill for you, I suggest leaving a note as to what you would like more or less of)

The bathroom was nice, large vanity, nice sized tub with shower (water pressure was terrible but did the job). Very small television, I would say 21 inch at most, with maybe 3-4 English speaking channels (espn, CNN, HBOplus, and CTV Montreal), but your on vacation and do more than watch tv so no big deal again. The bed was a king with a canopee, the mattress was alright, alittle hard for my liking. If you move around when you sleep, the headboard may bother you as it is screwed into the wall and moving around causes a lot of noise.

The Restaurants:

The buffet was the main place we ate the most. For breakfast, there was a wide variety of eggs, pancakes, waffles, pastries, cheeses, breads, omlettes could be cooked to order but we never bothered. I found the scrambled eggs to be very bland the one time I did eat them. Only served bacon one time for breakfast during the week. For lunch, the buffet offered meats, veggies, pasta dishes, as well as a cook to order pasta, hamburgers, hot dogs, I am thankful that I work in a resaurant and had ketchup and mayo packets with us, their condiments, although somewhat similar, just don't compare. dinner was alright, same things from lunch, and a lot of seafood.

We only ate otherwise at the Italian restaurant twice, which was alright. My wife had the spaghettI napoleono both times, and I had some pasta with a not so delicious cheese sauce the one night, and amazingly delicious caniloni (excuse my spelling) the second night. Dessert was taramisu, excellent!!

We also ate at the bamboo restaurant one night. Was alright, only had chicken chow mien.

The 24 hour snack bar, the racquet club offered a large variety of hamburgers, hot dogs, sandwiches, etc. the first time we went there we were confused why these things came with "vegetables" as described in the menu...don't fret, they turned out to be French fries...SCORE!!

Drinks:

There was always an abundance of alcohol choices to choose from, the beer was not great, I would compare in to a watered down version of colors light, and yea, I mean watered down. Haha...I drank piña coladas all week mostly,...very delicious, not frozen, they used powdered milk a lot which made it taste amazing. I think we had many variations of it throughout the week, sometimes adding syrups to it (banana, chocolate, etc.). Wine is available, although we don't drink wine, and some of their premiums cost money so look carefully before ordering,
Service/tipping:

Service from waiters and waitresses was for the most part wonderful. if you are worried about tipping in order to receive good service, don't worry, the majority if servers were always friendly and would remember you daily and your favorite drinks despite you even remotely giving them a tip. We generally tipped after every meal, and always gave the servers 1-2 pesos each time. We tipped the bellboys when they took our bags, and servers at the bars. I must say that I was never really bothered about tipping and never felt like it was expected ever! You have to remember that these people depend on tips, and we take for granted things we have in our country. *note* don't pay them in Canadian if possible or give them loonies and toonies (the couns to them are useless for exchanging from what i noticed) The maids generally did a great job of cleaning the room. Each day we left gifts (soaps, shampoos, etc)

You also have to remember the language barrier when you are in Cuba. Although most can speak English, sometimes it was hard to understand staff, but you just had to listen for key words to know what they were talking about,

The pool/ and beach:

The pool was very nice, not very deep at all, so if you are tall, you will have to crouch a lot! They had floaties in the pool area, but they are very limited, so if you get one, hang on for dear life! The pool bar was nice, never very crowded and easily got drinks without issues. There are so many lounge chairs in the pool area, maybe too many, and little beds you can use, although hygienically, they did not appeal to us.

The beach was very nice. The water was calm the majority of the week but wavy during the last few days of our trip due to a tropical storm making its way in. The sand is mixed with rocks, broken seashells, and seaweed and could use some tlc. There was always plenty of lounge chairs under the grass umbrellas, never an issue. (please note that topless sunbathing is permitted here...not always a pretty scene!). Beach bar is open until probably 4pm, very busy, but on occasion a server would come over to our loungers and ask us if we wanted drinks.

There re daily aerobics in the pool area and beach each day, music was always repetitive each day but still looked fun. There were sailboats, paddle boats, and scuba gear always available.

The only issue I had was with a security guard that stood by our loungers one day, and would not stop telling me about how awful life was in Cuba and stuck around seeming like he wanted a tip, and a couple times a lifeguard tried to sell me jewelry and get me deals on Cuban cigars.

Resort grounds:

Very beautifully maintained, landscapers out everyday in that hot sun. Landscapers definitely very friendly, asking how we were enjoying vacation. One particular day a groundskeeper cut open a coconut and gave us straws to drink out of.

Some people complained about bugs, honestly, mosquitos usually are drawn to me and I got maybe 4 bites the entire trip. We read up on roaches in rooms before we came, didn't really see any, my wife saw a bug in the bathroom one night, but being a reader of trip advisor, I told her to make sure at night she but the drains in the shower and sink as they can come in through them, she did, and we didn't see one again all week.

Cigar bar and gift shop and "bank"

To be honest, unless you plan on smoking your cigars in the cigar bar, they are cheaper to purchase in the gift shop, or even at the airport!! Gift shop was nice and offered clothing, normal touristy souveinirs, as well as food.

There is a bank in which you can exchange for cuban convertibles. Generally if you pay 20 Canadian, you get 19 back from what I noticed.

Entertainment:

There are shows in the main courtyard near all the restaurants, we didn't really watch, but there seemed to be bands and shows every night, so if you want something to see, it's there.

We really only traveled to relax and did not go off the resort, but occursions are offered through your travel group, costs can get pricey though so make sure you have enough pesos to do so.

All and all, we had a great trip and although sometimes you cannot compare going from a luxurious resort to "downgrading" I would definitely say that we would go back again. We are not picky by any means, and do not find things to nit pick about, remember that you are in a country that has a lot of heartships. they depend on tourism mostly and no matter how bad you think your life can be, theirs is probably worse off....our tour rep on the bus stated that the majority if Cubans will never leave Cuba in their lifetime due to the costs and the fact that their dollar has little value in the world.

hope my simple, yet informative review helps and you have a great vacation should you be reading as I once did before coming to the princesa del mar.

25 Thank Mlegg83
Eganville, Ontario
Reviewed October 31, 2012

This review is sadly written a little late, considering that we stayed at the Paradisus for the first time in April 2012. We can't express enough how wonderful our vacation was. We met family members at the resort, and spent a week in paradise together. From the moment we arrived, our experience was nothing short of excellent. The staff were out of this world !! From beautiful Yusmila, who took every opportunity to offer us the most exceptional of service every night at the courtyard, to Rigo who greeted us every morning for breakfast and never failed to entertain, to Ciro on the beach who was a pleasure to have met, he treated us like we were family, to Miriela, our wonderful dinner buffet server .. just to mention a few. The food was fantastic no matter where we chose to dine, however, the Sakuru, the Japanese a la carte was by far our favourite. The buffet was one of the best ever, with selection for every taste. The beach was absolutely the best, we couldn't get enough. The rooms were clean, comfortable, and very spacious. Anything we wanted or needed was quickly provided. Like I mentioned, this review is long overdue, but I could still just go on and on about this trip. We have stayed at many resorts in Varadero, and we have never been dissatisfied with any of them. We are already anxiously planning our return trip for 2013. Thank you, and hat's off to the Paradisus !!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank cubaloverseganville
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We had a great time at Princesa from Oct. 25 to 29 and have already made recommendations to friends, but also less fortunate travellers who were returning from less than stellar experiences at other resorts.

The main concern about our first visit to Cuba was about the food. The buffet was always decent. Some items didn't look too appetizing, but there was always something there that each of us found enjoyable. I guess that's the point of a buffet, try to cater to many tastes from all over the world. I think it did that and at no point were we sick from it. We never had dinner at the buffet. Our first tip is to book your dinners at the various a la carte restaurants. We had the pleasure of experiencing Firenze (Italian), Bamboo (Asian) and Sakura (Japanese). All the food was great, but Sakura was by far the best experience. Our chef (Everil) was fantastic, engaging and put on a great show. Another tip about booking the restaurants, you can do it in the lobby and do it early, but even better is to book it online at the hotel's website before you go. Unfortunately they don't let you know which restaurant is open each day, but they will email you back and alternate reservation. Your tickets for dinner are handed to you with your hotel keys and you don't need to worry about it after that. If you're looking for a quick burger, hot dog or sandwich w/ fries, the Racquet Club is a great spot to stop (also good if you want some smaller bottles of water for sitting around the pool).

We arrived the night the tail end of Hurricane Rita was going through the rest of Cuba. Although we were greeted with a blacked out reception area, the staff were fantastic in getting us to our room. From then on, they got better and better. By far the best service was in the Piano Bar. Don't miss this quiet spot and be sure to catch the Jazz Trio that plays there Friday nights. What a great way to relax and enjoy a wider selection of drink options.

While Sandy wiped out many of the beaches in Varadero (The Riu and many others has zero beach left, the water was up to the bushes), the Princesa has a very deep beach. All of the palapas were still standing. While the swimming was red flagged the entire weekend, you can't fault the resort for the weather. It was still great to get some beach time! The pool was quite busy as a result, but we always found a lounger and there is plenty of space in the massive pool area. Chilly at times, but refreshing from the hot sun and comfortable areas to wade in or sit and relax. This is not a cannonball type of pool, it's very suited to the adults-only nature of the resort.

Our room was beautiful. Always clean, decent bed, no bugs at all. Friendly notes from our housekeeper added to the pleasant experience from the staff. Even the grounds grew, who were busy cleaning up post Sandy

Given how horrible the vacation could have been due to the weather, everyone at the Princesa made it an enjoyable experience. We count ourselves lucky to choose a resort that didn't provide the fabled Cuban nightmare.

8 Thank Mattehoh
Grimsby, Canada
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Where to begin? So glad we picked the PPDM. Fantastic resort, wonderful staff & atmosphere. Beyond both our expecations! So relaxing, peaceful, clean & friendly. There was not one staff member that was unkind or unpleasant, very very hardworking, friendly & accommodating in every way! Cheers to Ricardo - GM& Jonay - food/beverage manager for being so visible, approachable & interactive with us tourists - have not experienced this with other resorts. Keep up the awesome work! Room was very clean as with the bedding & towels. We arrived late in the evening & ate @ the snack bar, which was amazing - you can get a variety of sandwiches on fresh baguettes, burgers, dogs etc.Food throughout the resort was actually great - good selection & variety @ the buffet - all kinds of fish, pork, chicken, cheeses, dips, etc. Our favourite a la carte was the Marseilles (French), hubby had an awesome cut of filet mignon, me - lobster - yum! We enjoyed the Bamboo & Japanese as well - superb They actually got the men involved in the cooking process @ the Japanese restaurant - first ever we've experienced! Beach is nice & sandy, warm & shallow water. We had a couple yellow flag days - but it wasn't that bad & we love having fun in the waves! Although we are not pool people, we did manage to spend time in them & it was great - warm & very clean! We really appreciate the overall calm & serene surroundings. Grounds were immaculate & extemely well maintained. The piano bar was our best hang out spot - he is fantastic! Michael Jackson show was absolutely fantastic - great choreography!. Cuban night show was fun, as well as the rock & roll. Special thanks to Rowil, the gardener, who always greeted us with his kind, warm, friendly smile & a freshly picked flower! There were regular sprayings for mosquitos & we never encountered any unwanted critters or heard of any. I did spot little caterpillars making their way up the walls & "cocooning" themselves to become beautiful butterflies! We also did the Havana tour - a must & never encountered any pests, so don't let that kind of nonsense bother you. I cannot say enough about the PPDM, it has been our best Cuban experience & we look forward to returning next year & becoming regulars! Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask - as I wouldn't hesitate recommending this resort at all. Oh, and our last day on the beach - some people showed up with a child - the security guard went over to tell them "adults only" place & they left. Salud y hasta luego!!

Room Tip: Stayed in Sancti-Spiritus, ground floor room 1106 - close to beach & very quiet. I believe all b...
7 Thank 4BeachParadise