“Love the Club Karey”

Ranked #60 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Alberta
“Love the Club Karey”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This was our second time at the Club Karey in Varadero Cuba. We stayed 2 weeks each time. It is a quiet, small resort that is perfect for what we want in a holiday. There is the beautiful beach, a great pool, and fantastic staff working there. There are a few in particular that went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. They were Pedro, Chicho, Millie and Tanya. There is a buffet with limited food but totally palatable. The lunch counter at the pool had excellent pizza, hamburgers, and Grilled ham and cheese sandwiches. Pedro is the pool manager and went beyond the call of duty for our family. There are no “extras” at this hotel but for the price it is absolutely perfect. If you have young children it doesn’t have too much to offer but we are a family with 3 adults and a teen. Varadero is a quick walk or a $5 taxi.
My only complaint of this hotel would be the beds. They need mattress covers as they are old and don’t smell the best.
The final word here is that if you are very kind to the staff, they will double it back to you.

Room Tip: If your room doesn't suit you, a smiling attitude and a gratuity can go a long way to getting a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
17 Thank oldfanAlberta

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed March 29, 2013

This place is not nearly so bad as other reviews depict. Old? yes. Run down? a bit. Food not good? It's Cuba. If you are willing to work with it a bit and add to the fun, the place grows on you. Staff? fantastic. Location? fantastic. Our hacienda was literally ON the beach next to Casa de Al's. #2703. The view from our windows extended both ways up the beach as far as you could see. Post and beam laquered ceiling. Hear the waves lapping. Maid service? fantastic. Only major complaint was long walk to restaurant for coffee etc. Hey it's a three star but a super bargain if you're not too stuffy. We had a ball !!
Thank you to everyone for being so nice. You know who you are.

Room Tip: Look around and get what you want. Rooms vary a lot. Bring a pillow.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank David R
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed March 23, 2013

On the old hotel strip with good bus and taxi service. Area prone to some oil fumes in the morning depending on wind. Few registered guests limited meal service and entertainment to buffet. Usual fare - meal, fish, rice, potatoes, omelettes, pasta hot and cold, and very good bread. Watch fishermen across the road or in the ocean in the morning, and you might have it for supper that night. Pleasant walk to main drag, restaurants are an easy walk,long stretch of nice beach. Rooms are in Casas of 8 rooms or so, with balconies or porches. Room was very clean, excellent service. Water was out in my cabin but repaired by noon. Guests from Canada, Eastern Europe, Argentina. TV has many languages.

Room Tip: Casa with a higher number ( up to 28) are further away from the pool, bar, restaurant and lobby. Up...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Vince H
Port Dover, Canada
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We had a great time at Club Karey. We expected simple and that is what we got. There were some minor inconveniences that could have been better but most of that is just the way everything operates in Cuba. Our safe didn't work. We paid first but should have checked first. It probably hasn't worked in a long time. We did get our money back after some negotiation and a panel of four but they agreed finally. I had to go back and forth to the room several times but they did agree that it didn't work! There was supposed to be wine with meals but that only happened a couple of times. Bar was mostly rum and pop. We were fine but something to think about when going. There was a small store and they had supplies you could buy and they were not expensive....as a matter of fact, they were cheaper than the airport for most including rum! The weather was very cool for early March but the beach was spectacular and right outside our room. Try to get a room on the second floor to avoid bugs (same as any south) Food at the buffet was simple but fine. We had tummy issues after eating the fresh salad. The pool area was very clean. Resort was not busy. Don't waste your time booking in at the restaurant. Poor choices on menu. Take your own pillows. AC in rooms was quiet. People that had booked a room with a complimentary bottle of rum didn't ever get the rum but it's only $5 in the store. Don't pay extra for a special room or service. It is all the same. Sometimes there was music by the pool. I guess in summary, sometimes things were there, sometimes they weren't but we had a great time and for a 3 star in Cuba, it was just fine.

Room Tip: Don't settle for your first room if you don't like it. They will switch to accommodate. Th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
11 Thank RLaing_13
Northeast Saskatchewan
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I had read the reviews before booking and chose to take a chance and hopefully save some money. I really wanted to go to Club Karey and have a good experience so that I could write a good review. My mom and I arrived during the night - the room was filthy. There was a huge bug (cockroach?) that we had to kill shortly after arriving and there was no water in the room to drink. The shower worked and there was hot water (yay!). The bathroom window was open when we got there so I was hoping that the bug got in that way and maybe all the dirt that was everywhere...? The next morning we left a $5 tip for the maid and hoped she would clean up the room (I was thinking that maybe no one had stayed in that particular room for a while and that was why it was so very dirty.) Unfortunately this wasn't the case. The maid did up our beds and made a swan on our bed but that was it. The floor was still filthy. The glasses that were in the room looked like they and smears and hard water stains on them too.
Thankfully the weather was nice the next day so we went looking for a way to contact home to let them know we arrived ok. There are no options to contact Canada from this hotel so we walked over to Club Kawama and noticed how much nicer this resort looked from the outside. We inquired about switching but that hotel was full.
We spent the afternoon on the beach, which was nice - but there was NO ONE around. We wondered where all the people were.
When we met with our Sunwing rep in the afternoon, there were quite a few of us who were unhappy with the resort. Especially the families who had come and found that the resort was unsafe for kids and nothing for them to do.
We ended up having to stay another night because Sunwing wasn't able to receive confirmation from Canada on the price difference before the office closed. The whole resort had a dirty, smelly feel to it wherever you went. We could hardly eat because the dining room was so dirty (windows were so dirty you could hardly see out of them). After we tried eating supper that last night the only thing left to do was get into the Rum Punch and Pina Colodas to make everything better. We packed up the next morning and called Sunwing, made our choice to transfer to Breezes Bella Costa and left. Our holiday was good after that.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
16 Thank Saskatchewanian

Travelers are raving about these Varadero hotels

Bonnyville, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I was at Club Karey from Dec 24-31/12 and I will never, ever go there again! To start with, my flight arrived around lunch time, so there was a wait for the room. I had expected this at it was not my first trip south. I was told the room would be ready about 3pm, but the sign said check in was 4pm, so I fully expected to wait until then. By 5pm, I was asking how much longer the wait would be and was told "soon". While waiting, several others were in the lobby complaining to reception about their rooms. One man came in and said flatly that "nothing worked" in his room. There were enough complaints that I and several others spoke to the Sunwing rep about changing hotels. She was looking into this for us and had been at the hotel for a couple hours when we spoke with her. I continued to wait, with about a dozen others for our rooms. 6pm came and went and still no rooms. People were getting frustrated, overtired, all talking to the Sunwing lady about the wait. Then two other Sunwing reps arrived at the hotel, picked up our lady saying there was an "emergency" they needed to handle and that they had to leave. I asked her, "what about us, what about our rooms or changing hotels?" She said we would get our rooms soon. I asked if it would be that night and she said yes and then left. I found this totally unbelievable as I and many others had been waiting about 6 hours for our rooms. And the Sunwing rep ditched us without helping to resolve the problem! I finally got my room about 7pm.

When I booked my trip, I knew it was a 3 star. I have been to Cuba once before as well as trips to Mexico and the DR. I didn't expect a 4 or 5 star. What I did expect was a clean room and bed, hot water, simple food (not fancy but edible), that sort of thing. I don't believe my expectations were unreasonable. Unfortunately, none of these things were to be found at Club Karey.

My experience at Club Karey went like this:

- 84 bed bug bites on my legs
- ants in the vanilla syrup (in a plastic squeeze bottle) provided for the ice cream
- no hot water in my room for the first 4 days I was there and NO response from the staff when I went to the lobby to advise them of this
- no lights in my room except the bathroom and one large light in the entryway; nothing in the room itself. I did ask for a bedside lamp, but never did get one.
- no drinking water (actually, nothing for drinking at all) provided in the room
- the bed was rock hard and you could feel the metal poking into your back. I folded up the spare blanket and put it under the sheets to pad it a bit, but it was still terrible. The pillow was about an inch thick and not comfortable at all. I was stiff and sore all week from the bed.
- When I picked up the second blanket from the side table, there were dead bugs on it and an hard spot like something had been spilled on it and dried. It was clearly NOT clean!
- food available only during set hours, so if you miss a meal, there is no where to get something to eat unless you go into Varadero; you have to wait for the next meal time
- the menu for lunch and dinner is virtually identical day after day; same food for both meals
- breakfast is limited and usually includeds last nights leftovers, but they do make omelets, which was great, but one day, they didn't have eggs
- the snack bar has hamburgers, hotdogs, ham and cheese sandwich, pizza and fries. When they have it open and when they have food there. It is open from lunchtime until they run out of food, usually mid-afternoon. The ham and cheese was good the first time I had it, so I came back the next day, but was told "no ham".
- if the snack bar closes early because it's out of food, there is no where to eat until about 630 when dinner starts, if it starts on time. All times are flexible for meals and on the nights the resort was busier we had to line up and wait to get in for supper. Both nights I had over an hour wait.
- At more than one meal, there was meat I didn't eat because it tasted bad...as in going bad, not poorly prepared. The sandwiches I got from the bar the night I left were a small square bun with a piece of cheese and a piece of ham. The ham was sour!
- my room was in the building farthest from the lobby and almost a kilometre walk, so I had to make sure that, when I went back to my room, I took several glasses of water with me, otherwise it was a hike back to the lobby or pool bar to get a drink.
- despite having no hot water in my room, there was a waterfall outside my door for about 12 hours when a pipe or something broke on the roof of my building. Once this was fixed however, I got hot water for the first time. I arrived on Monday and my first hot shower was late Friday afternoon.
- the walk from my room to the lobby and back is poorly lit and about half has no lights at all. The resort pathways don't go to the room so you have to walk on the road, which is under construction and has hazards to be avoided (mounds of dirt, pipes, other metal stuff and the shoulder has a sharp drop in places). In the dark, you've got to be extra careful.

By the morning of the fourth day, I actually wrote an email to Sunwing telling them how unhappy I was with the resort and that if I could have the opportunity to return home that day, I would hop on a plane without hesitation. It was that bad. I can't believe Sunwing actually includes this place in their line up and sends people there. I wouldn't even give this "resort" a single star. Between the bed bugs, no hot water, bad/dirty food, the resulting diarrhea, it was a terrible trip. I don't feel like I had a holiday at all. Please save yourself the grief and go somewhere else! I've been to a 4 star in Varadero and it was a completely different trip. I will be writing to Sunwing to register my complaint and ask for a refund. And from what I heard from others at the resort "Club Skarey", I won't be alone.

Room Tip: I doubt there are good rooms here! I had a lovely view of the next building and if I had opened my...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
28 Thank canbookie
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed December 31, 2012

bad place we do not recommend it , there was a construction site right beside are room , room was dirty , food was not good exept a few things, we had no water in are room , bathroom door would not close , we had a dead lizard in the fridge, old dirty soap , rat poop on pillow and table , glasses in the room were dirty and did not get changed,it would smell old heating oil , there was sand flees but the beach was nice , and servers were very nice also , if you want to go in varadero we recommend you to book at another hotel , have a nice trip.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends