“relaxing time at Las Morlas” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Be Live Experience Las Morlas

Be Live Experience Las Morlas
Ranked #16 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Toronto, Canada
“relaxing time at Las Morlas”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

Traveled with family member and friend from Sept 6 to 13. We arrived very late and received
3 2nd floor rooms beside each other with a fruit/sandwich plate in each room. Reception was very
friendly and helpful explaining about the hotel. We paid 2CUC a day to use the safe in the room.
Bellboy took us to the rooms and we put away our valuables and went for a look around.
We each received one large bottle of water in our fridge. You can refill it at any bar or the buffet.
They also have a menu for the fridge if you care to purchase more water/pop/beer/rum.
WE found the staff to be professional and friendly throughout the hotel. The food in the buffet was good and there was always something being cooked while you wait if you desired as well
as the food in trays. The beach grill only had hot dogs and burgers so we ate lunch at the buffet most days. There was no diet cola at any bar or buffet but I was able to buy some to keep
in the fridge. 1.00cuc in the hotel and .50cuc off the resort in grocery store. There was no need
to get up early to reserve seats on the beach. The beach was great and we had green flag every day. There were some small jelly fish in the ocean but they did not sting. THe guests were a mix of german, russian, italian and english. Service was very good in the bars and restaurants
and not based on tipping. We had a great meal in the a la carte restaurant out last night.
Had a very nice relaxed time here and will return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank cubasiempre

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

After reading some of the reviews, it seems this place is still awesome!

Our experiences...

We've been to the Las Morlas 2 different times... 3yrs ago, and the year before.

GROUNDS/ROOM - Small hotel, but beautiful pool layout with nice rooms(not spectacular rooms, but good enough), and not very far to walk for whatever you need. Rooms had a fridge, tv(a few channels), hair dryer, all the usual stuff.

BEACH - It's Varadero(well, the Puntarena end is different), but this end of the beach is VERY spectacular. Big, white sand, sand going far far into the ocean... Simply awesome!
There is/was a walkway between the Las Morlas and the Hotel Villa Cuba(stayed there too once... didn't like it... but will give it a fair review soon) anyways, the walkway led to the beach for local and vendors, but they didn't bother us, and the locals were families bringing their kids to the beach to have some fun, as we all like to do. Didn't see any "harrassment" going on at all. Plus there is/was a security guard there as well.

STAFF - AAA+ ... That's a triple A rating in my books. These people were awesome! The manager is/was Chris, and he on a daily basis, would be on-hand at the resort meeting and greeting the guests and making sure that EVERYONE's stay was perfect. It's a smaller resort, which would allow for him to work in this manner, but it was pretty impressive to see him at work. Most resorts we stay at(though bigger usually) I never even see the manager once lol.
But ALL the staff were friendly, helpful and wonderful.

GUESTS - This resort is/was probably 75% European guests, mostly from Italy and Eastern Europe including a chunk of Germans and Russians and a few others. But there was a good little chunk of Canadians as well. But I have to say that the European guests were very relaxed, respectful and fun and friendly. As were the Canadians of course. Perhaps it's just the atmosphere of the resort or something. But us being in the "minority", I felt right at home at this resort, and had no problems mingling with a bunch of different guests of different nationalities, they all spoke English to some degree. I think Canada has a good name over there in Europe as a lot of the times we would walk by on the beach, we'd hear someone yell out "Canada!" and they'd have a thumbs up and a smile to go with it :)

FOOD - Was tremendous during both times we went there. They had the same Italian chief both times we went. I forget his name, but I remember the manager Chris telling me that he personally hired and brought him in from Italy to be head chief. I believe they were friends from before. At any rate, the staff led by this man, could make one heck of a buffet meal! Best food I've eaten in the Caribbean! Hopefully they have the same crew there still.

LOCATION - Perfect!!! You are only a 15min walk into the edge of town. If you want to treat yourself to a great meal... Sometimes the resort has "themed" nights for dinner, and we're not big on seafood... The Barbacoa and Le Fondue are a 15-20 min walk away.
If you're into late night partying, you can walk over to Calle 62 for the "all night" street party(It's right by Le Fondue). We've done that a couple of times, but left around 1:30 or 2:00am and slowly walked back to the resort, beers in hand and enjoyed the night sky and scenery. But when we left, the street was full of people dancing to a live band, still being served drinks lol
There's an amusement ride/fun park about 10mins away by cab... We walked there(about 30-40mins). They have like bumper-cars, spinning rides, merry-go-rounds, some weird ferris wheel type ride... Plenty of amusements and mostly geared for kids.
And again, you can walk into town and the flea markets and stores are right there. And I highly recommend taking the bus(next point) to the other end of Varadero and check out some of the shops there too.

THE BUS(Varadero operated, not resort) - A small fleet?(can't be too many of them) but these really cool, open-roofed, double-decker buses go from one end of Varadero to the other, about every 25mins. Its 5 Pesos(pretty sure... which is about $7.CDN or so) and you get a day-pass to use the bus as much as you want all day long... I think they run until about 8 or 9 at night. But they stop along at every resort out in the peninsula, and all the way through Varadero to Al Capones restaurant at the other end. Yep, that's right, the legendary American gangster Al Capone had a Cuban getaway back in the day! Quite a stunning looking stone-building built house(I'll post a picture of it). I highly recommend you go there for a steak lunch or dinner, or even just stop in for a pop or beer during the day and have a seat in the beach area out back of the place.
I highly recommend you get out and explore Varadero for a day trip on your own. Get the bus pass, and take it all the way through to Al Capones taking note of some places you want to see on the way back. You may even want to take a couple days in town as there's so much to see and do.
Note - If you ride on the double-decker's second level... which has no roof... If you're sitting on the right hand of the bus, be careful as sometimes, branches from the tress brush into the bus LOL ... Nothing too dangerous really, but if you're not expecting it, you just may get face-palmed by a palm leaf LOL ... Sit on the drivers side is my advice >:)~

ENTERTAINMENT - The nightly shows were really good, with one night a week as a special. And the Special was fantastic! I was floored by the production they did of the Hunchback of Notre Dame! A little over an hour long musical/act, with loads of props, costumes, and comedy... very funny comedy too... but even still retained some of the drama of the story. It was extremely well done, and maybe the best resort-done entertainment show I've witnessed in the Caribbean.

Overall, I can't say enough good things about the Las Morlas and our experiences staying there. It may not be a 5-star hotel, but we sure had 5-star vacations there!
I highly recommend this resort for your Varadero vacation. Nice and cozy, great staff, great location, spectacular beach, awesome food, friendly guests, night-life at walking distance... THIS is a paradise!

One more tip... Feel free to walk into most resorts along Varadero on the Morlas end at night and stop into their lobby bars for a drink. Most will SELL you a drink(2 or 3 pesos for a beer) though a couple don't(can't remember which ones)... But we'd just tell the door porter at the lobby that we just want to go to the lobby bar and buy a beer and the porter would point us in the right direction. And the bartenders were cool with it too(they probably pocketed the money lol) but they would poor you a drink and have a friendly chat and some would offer you another beer for free.
You get to see some of the gorgeous lobby's of the resorts nearby... And there's some beauties let me tell you!

On a side note, I'd like to point out that we know Varadero like the back of our hands as we've been there so many times in different resorts. Some that were terrible LOL!(I'll review them fairly at some point as well) which is why and how we ended up learning so much about Varadero. But when we stayed at the Las Morlas, we probably only ventured into town once per vacation, to shop... Vacationing at the Las Morlas is perfect enough to spend the entire time there :)

Cheers and I hope you enjoy your vacation(s) at the Los Morlas as much as we did.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Pokeczech
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Ok, not nice thing about this hotel are the rooms. But, that's Cuba. People there live with 10-50 $ a month. Hallo! I just didn't expect more. My hubby and I had a very nice honeymoom there. They gave us see view room (they couldn't give us something they don't have). We got vine and fruit from the stuff. Every person in that hotel was nice with us. Reception desk is great (blond girl I forgot her name was there about any problem or question for us).
That beach... You'll find it nowhere else. Beautiful beautiful beautiful!
Thanks one more time for your kindness, Cuban people! We will come back!

• Stayed October 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank cica11
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

I went with my family for 4 nights. We had the best time ever !!! When I go back to visit Cuba I would again stay in this hotel. Smaller compared to other hotels in the area, but just the way the employees make you feel is incomparable. The rooms could be updated, but everything else was great!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank surricata
Edmonton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

We did not expect too much from this resort but it was a disappointing place. The resort is 20 years old and it is showing its age. Maybe it was a four star resort back in 90s but at the current condition; I give it a three star rating. I asked a bartender if this is a four star resort then he smiled and said four stars for staff but three stars for the resort.
On the first two days I had numerous problems with our room (duplex). No water pressure, toilet did not flush, safe stopped working and air condition unit failed. On all above occasions, the staff was helpful, friendly and accommodating.
In Cuba, all beaches are public and this is not a good thing for tourists. I went snorkeling and found more empty beer cans than fish. Yes the beach was beautiful but it is too bad that the locals do not appreciate and look after the beach. Most of the garbage (empty beer cans and plastic bags) are from the locals not from the tourists.
The bed was tiny and hard. Ceiling is decorated with dead bugs. Painting is peeling off. Shower is missing one door panel. Plumbing fixtures are loose and rattling. Bathroom is constantly occupied by tiny ants. Air condition unit is old and loud.
Food was simple but it was OK. I wish they could control flies in the restaurant. It is pretty hard to eat when one hand is busy chasing flies off your food. Expect many extra costs such as going to a la carte restaurant, non-local drinks and mini bar supply. We had to buy bottle water for our mini bar.
On the bright side, great resort staff, very safe and great coffee.
It was a very interesting and eye opening trip that our family will remember for a long time.

Room Tip: They have both 110 and 220 outlets.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Ed E
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

Travelled to Cuba in June and stayed at the hotel after time spent in Havana.We chose the hotel as it is smaller than most and were glad we did. Pedro, the manager, and his staff were very helpful,friendly and accommodating. We had a small issue that he resolved very quickly, without fuss. The food was good-fresh and varied.The chef making the crepes each morning was fantastic! Yes the hotel is a little dated but to be honest the ambience and friendliness of the staff makes up for that and I do believe there are plans to update the décor soon. Amenities wise the pool is excellent with access to the bar from the water, which is always nice when it is hot! Lots of loungers to use around the pool. Beach is pristine and there is a small games area within the hotel grounds. Entertainment was good fun,especially the Oscars night, with the staff putting in a lot of effort for the shows and to get people to participate in the day. I did succumb to one morning stretch class on the beach! I would certainly return again and hope to do so in the near future. Many thanks to Pedro and his staff for a lovely stay. Best wishes Lisa and Linda

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Tucks61
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

Hurrah!! We are again in Varadero! We have for the third time In Cuba, and no doubt that will come a lot of times, this is heaven on earth! This time we chose the hotel Be Live Las Morlas and were very pleasantly surprised!! this is a great hotel with a great family atmosphere, friendly staff, great food, well-kept area, cozy clean rooms with pleasant decor. The hotel is located right on the beach, everyone was served lunch at the beach - we loved it! We enjoyed a drink in the lobby bar - cocktails, delicious Cuban coffee, and of course - the coolest bartenders! Is not the first time since we are in Cuba than we had a lot of good knowns and really good friends! Atmosphere of the hotel allows you to really relax a person of any age, we were with our son who is 9 years old and my mom, which is 68 - we all feeling pretty good. The hotel is well located relative to the center of the city - as it is at the end of the city, but if you want to go to town for a walk or to the store, it will take about 10 minutes. In Cuba safely! Can be quite easy to walk at night, for example, or rent a car and travel around the country on their own. In the evening, the city can find a lot of entertainment. In the hotel at 11 pm starts mamba bar and runs until about 1 am. Regarding the entertainment at the hotel is not a lot of them. In the last 2 times we were in Cuba we stayed at the Palma Real, which employs a team of animators who organize lovely views every evening.
Most of all, we were struck by the fact that the director, were present all the time, talking with visitors in the lobby and in the restaurant – it were just amazing! It is felt that the hotel manager is interested in life, puts soul into it. It immediately felt in all!
From the hotel once you get to the beach - it's beautiful! Clean white sand, gentle warm ocean, it`s all about Cuba. It is impossible to look away from the infinite distance, the ocean in Cuba stunning, turquoise water, is warm all year round. Friendly people, amazing nature, it was great and cool!!!
I liked everything! Surelly I`ll return to the hotel Be Live Las Morlas!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Olga P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Varadero
Sol Hotel
Royal Palms
Royal Palms
#1 of 3 in South Hill
Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas Resort

Been to Be Live Experience Las Morlas? Share your experiences!