“Great stay at Las Morlas”

Be Live Experience Las Morlas
Ranked #13 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed May 20, 2013

This was my first time in Varadero but I am well travelled in Cuba and have stayed in over 10 different hotels around Cuba from 1* to 5* as well as casa particulares.

I chose this hotel because it is on the edge of town, a short walk away and is a smaller resort. My goal was to discover the town while staying in a comfortable place on the beach during my short 4 nights stay. Las Morlas delivers. I loved this little resort. So much so that I barely left the resort and never got to see the town! That is ok because I will return for a longer stay in the near future and do just that.

The staff was very attentive and friendly in most areas of the hotel. I found it was hit or miss with the waiters at the buffet, specially in the morning and lunch. Yoel and Johnny gave excellent service though. The cooks were also very nice and entertaining. Thanks Abdul for your excellent breakfast and smile. Food was very good at all time at the buffet. I really enjoyed the selection, variety and taste or everything I had. No lineups, no waiting at the cooking stations. I liked that there was a good variety of Cuban food offered such as Yucca, congri, ropa vieja, rice and beans, etc. I must say that I ate better here than my regular 4.5* hotel buffet.

Pool was clean and nicely designed. I loved the shading mechanism installed around the pool when you can control the shade your want. There is a swim up bar but no one seem to use it while i was there. The bar by the pool is excellent. Yvan and Pedro are wonderful bartenders. They take good care of you. The lady during the day was great too.

Beach was beautiful. A man will bring you a lounge chair to wherever you want to be. Security guard is posted right at the entrance of the beach at all time and same at the lobby entrance of the hotel. Loved to watch the man feed the pelicans each morning. The sand is nice and the beach is wide. There are enough palapas for the size of the hotel although I found they were a little close to one another.

I spent my evening in the lobby bar enjoying the great service from Jorge and Yulian (not sure of the spelling). Most other clients were Europeans, many from Germany and Russia. I found it challenging to strike a conversation with others as not many spoke English. A huge difference from others places like Cayo Santa Maria that caters mostly to Canadians and UK folks.

Shows and other entertainment I found were lacking but I am not one to partake in those anyway. The disco bar area was nice but was only busy on the night where the show was taking place there because of rain. There is a pool table and ping pong table for you to use.

I often saw the manager Pedro walk around the resort and talk with the clients. I never had the chance to talk with him but he always smiled and seemed very approachable.

I always had great service from the reception desk in all my dealing with them (check-in, information, changing money, etc)

The store on site does not have much but the essential drink and snack was available. I bought a big bottle of water on my first day and was charged 2 CUC by a younger lady. The following days I was charged 1.50 CUC bu another older lady. Prices are not marked so beware.

My room was near the reception desk on the 3rd floor, close to the elevators and stairs. It was mostly quiet, I never had a hard time sleeping. My balcony faced the pathway to the pool although I couldn't see the pool. Room was clean, hot water and water pressure was very good. So was the air conditioning unit. I was very happy with it. I loved the way the hallway goes around the rooms with big windows all along that you can open. Great views of the neigborhoods around and the pool from there.

Grounds were clean and well taken care of.

Overall, this hotel although small in size, is nothing short of great in amenities, service and food quality. I highly recommend for a quiet stay in Varadero close to town. I will be back!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
10  Thank nadma

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Be Live Las Morlas was a great choice for my 1st time going to Varadero. My boyfriend has visited Varadero many times & everything he said was true. On my other trips to the Caribbean I've always stayed at larger resorts, but Las Morlas was just the right size, great amenities, friendly staff, right on the beach & only a 10 min walk to town which we did almost every day. Being a smaller resort, the atmosphere is more family orientated & gives you the chance to relax. Evenings here were always quiet & relaxing. They even had a house band of 3 gentlemen that would walk & play at different locations on the resort every evening. If you feel like partying, just walk to town & visit the Beatles bar!!! Nothing like rocking out amongst palm trees with a Caribbean breeze til 1 am.

Food - Surprisingly great. Heard so much about how you don't go to Cuba for the food but I loved it!! Found something at the buffet everyday that was amazing.
- lunch was always served by the beach...what else could a person ask for!
Bars - Lobby, pool, beach. Staff were always friendly & drinks were great. There was a disco bar but nothing was ever going on there so we just went into town for nightlife entertainment. No 24hr bar as stated but we spent most evenings away from the resort so that didn't matter to us.
Pool - 1 pool that has both a shallow (low entrance for those of you who like to walk into a pool instead of using pool stairs) & deep end with a swim up bar. Pool area was great, plenty of seating with pleanty of umbrellas
Rooms - being a smaller resort, almost all the rooms faced the pool/beach. Room was great, small but we don't require lg spaces as we barely spend time there, great patio, great ac, always clean
Beach - absolutely beautiful beach, not crowded, always found a lounge chair under a palapa, constant rolling waves, totally open beach (another 1st for me...I was used to beaches that are closed off by resort walls), you can literally walk from 1 end to the other. Wonderful for those days you want to walk to town on a hot day. Start walking, get to hot...jump in & swim then continue on your journey. The water's hard to swim in because of the waves but it's always warm & fun to play in.
Animation/shows - Shows weren't very good but I guess with limited staff what can you expect
Vendors - only 1 vendor on the resort who was really friendly & did not use high pressure tactics to try & sell you goods

Overall I felt very comfortable & relaxed at Las Morlas. Whenever we returned from being away all day the staff always greeted us at the front door with big smiles. I was also impressed that when we arrived on our 1st night, when we entered our room there were 2 plates of cold cuts, salad & dessert waiting for us as we missed the dinner buffet....just another way Las Morlas staff made our stay so great.

4  Thank NatalieC975
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I just returned from 1 week in Varadero - The Safest Place on Earth. This time I stayed at the Be Live Las Morlas right on the edge of town - 1 up from Hotel Internacional where I stayed at in January. This was my girlfriends 1st time to varadero, so I wanted a nice place but still in town or right on the edge of town as we're not stay on resort for the whole week kind of people. I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the great balance of everything really. not to big, not to small, right on the beach, 10 minute walk from town, and the food was the best I've had at any resort in Varadero. We only spent 2 days on the resort and the rest of the time was spent walking the streets of Varadero. We ended up at the Beatles Bar just about every night and rocked it til close then made our way back to the resort. It does not have a 24 hr lobby bar as I had read but when a pint is only $2 and a quart is $3, you can make your own party anywhere. The resort is not a party resort - quiet, family and couple oriented and I would recommend this one to anyone. Staff were awesome. the animation team not very animated but i'm not there for that anyway :) I would def go back.

Room Tip: almost all rooms are pool and ocean view. Alot of people upgraded to the Town Houses which are 2 sto...
3  Thank GmanGordo
Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

This was our third stay at Las Morlas and we will return. Everything we like about this resort was still the same: great beach, good, clean pool, friendly staff, decent food, good location, size.

There were eight of us including two small kids. The only thing lacking (and this was the same last year) was organized activities for children. However our kids were crazy about the pool and beach, so this did not affect us much.

We made a few excursions into Varadero and took the double-decker bus east to the Ecological Reserve to hike and see the caves. Good times.

Overall another great trip. I can't say much negative about this place. It feels like our home in Cuba. It has that kind of atmosphere. Because it's small, you really get familiar with the staff and other guests.

We'll be back.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank CSBToronto
Reviewed April 21, 2013

This resort is located right in the middle of the Hicacos peninsula, nestled between many other resorts that are frequently quite a bit larger. However, having been to a few other much larger resorts, this petite, quiet and well-maintained resort was a welcome change. Nothing ever seemed rushed and if you have ever been frustrated waiting in line at the buffet or trying to get to the service desk before hundreds of other guests to book those a la carte restaurants, this place is refreshing in that it is exactly what it says it is: a resort - where everything is relaxed. There are no lines or screaming children despite not being an adult-only resort and service is great without the constant need to out-tip the guest beside you.

The rooms at the resort was clean and we had no complaints about any utilities. The beach seems closer because of how small the resort is and there are more than enough chairs and cabanas for the guests. The quality of the beach is also top-notch, which is quite universal in Varadero with few exceptions. The food was average quality with no surprises and not much choice. There is only a single a la carte restaurant that serves a mix of different-themed foods. It was okay but nothing spectacular. Overall the food was one of the weaker points of the resort. The beverage selection is as you would expect from any all-inclusive resort and you won't get top-shelf unless you ask for it.

The entertainment at night was passable. However it created more opportunities for us to either enjoy a cigar outside while sipping on some drinks or play some games indoors. If you prefer some alcohol-fueled, loud and dancing-filled entertainment at night you can still get that here but there is just less of an obligation or compulsion to do so because of the overall atmosphere of peacefulness.

There were a wide selection of excursions. We picked the one-day Havana rum and cigar tour and the catamaran cruise with dolphinarium visit and both were quite good. The rum and cigar tour tends to herd you towards a couple of popular sanctioned shops and though you'll never get a counterfeit product there, you can get the same things for cheaper at the airport duty-free.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the large suites right beside the pool. They look really cool and are much larger than...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Hanbert_Chen
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Just got back from this resort and I can say we were not disappointed. There are many good features about this resort but there are also some negative features. First the good: the price was excellent. The food was better than expected - the lunch is served by the ocean which is a nice feature. The drinks are cold and the staff are friendly. The bad: the resort could really use a touch up, the grounds are not really well kept. There are weeds in spots a foot high on the lawns, random bits of garbage such as cups and straws were left laying in the same spots all week. The two fountains at the pool do not work any longer and one serves as a flea market at night. The bar at the beach only serves beer and rum, nothing else. The other annoyance I had right from the get go - one of the bar tenders hit on my girlfriend as soon as we arrived when I ducked into the washroom...and it wasnt very flattering, it creaped her out. And then it happened again by the same guy. Needless to say, this is a small resort that could do better. If you want something cheap with decent food, small resort feel and cheap out on the extras then this is a decent spot. I would recommend this place with a couple of "buts"...

2  Thank Motorbragg
Reviewed April 19, 2013

This is a small, quiet resort - everything is a two minute walk away, very clean, and the food is well prepared. We didn't even bother to try the à la carte restaurant. The staff are very professional and give great service. We stayed in a duplex which was nice and roomy. The beach is beautiful. I have been to the other four star resorts at the end of the peninsula (twice). I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013