“Delighted” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Surrey.BC
“Delighted”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2012

This was my first time at an all inclusive resort. I've visited 35 different countries and sailed around the world in my former glory.
Cuba is a place that I've wanted to visit for quite some time. I've now done that and am very happy that I had the opportunity to do so.
The Cuban people at the hotel and in Varadero were very pleasant and happy, smiles, smiles and smiles.
Our hotel,, the Las Morlas, has seen grander times but was just what one needs to enjoy themselves whilst on vacation. It is very clean and the service staff went out of their way to accomodate our requests.
The food was good, not a la carte, but typical buffet fare. I only had one item that I did not enjoy but I put that down to my personal tastes.
Service was better than I expected and our waiters and waitresses were pleasant and efficient.
They made us feel important and welcome at every meal.
Beach - fabulous, pool- very nice and kept very clean.
Our room was not large but neat, clean and had a safe which worked. One fault is the lighting in the rooms is not quite up to par.
Two things that detract from perfection are smoking and the A La Carte restaurant.
They allow smoking in the hotel but do not have any designated smoking/non-smoking areas.
When there are a lot of people in the lobby it can be overwhelming with the smoke.
The A La Carte restaurant was far and above the worst part of our stay. Service was overseen by a man who didn't appear to understand the service industry. I had the lobster and it was cooked in three parts, raw, cooked and overdone. There was not a sharp knife to cut the shell and meat. We asked too.
Front desk was admirable, My partner left her Iphone in the lobby and I went to the desk an hour later and there it was wrapped up and secured by the staff.
There are three bars and they worked well- LOL.
The lobby is a spacious area with large windows which open for circulation when it's hot and smokey.
Service staff at the buffet were a blessing, Lionel, Iliyana and Torrero made us very comfortable at every meal.
Annie and her many front end people made every effort to make us comfortable.
I would go again tomorrow if I could. The hotel has seen better days but is the type of place where the "fits like a glove " adage is to be used.
My partner stayed at a higher end resort last year and said the food was equal to the Las Morlas but on a smaller scale.
I forgot to mention housekeeping, our " Olga" did a few extra things for us and smiled every time we met accommpanied with a pleasant- Hola.
By the by, our flight down on Sunwing was very uncomfortable as we were crammed in like sardines with no fresh air flow even though we made a request of the flight attendant to ask the pilot to do so, but the return flight pleasant.

Room Tip: I found the entertainment to be very loud and that all rooms face into the centre of the complex whe...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MisterEd-69

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Polish first
London, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel in October, 2011, with another couple. We decided to try this hotel, based on all of the positive reviews on TripAdvisor, and were not disappointed.
The hotel is clean and well maintained, has a cozy atmosphere, a great pool, and a fabulous beach. As far as service, I would definitely rate it a 5 star. The staff working here are just wonderful. They are warm and friendly, and take pride in their work. The front desk staff is approachable and accommodating. The servers in the buffet and at the bars remember what you like and start to prepare your drinks as soon as they see you coming. When you enter the beach area, you are immediately greeted by a staff member, who helps you find a good spot and cleans off the chairs for you. For a 3.5 star hotel in Cuba, they definitely exceeded my expectations. Most of the other guests that we spoke to were repeat customers and many said that this is the only hotel they stay in when they travel to Varadero. I’m not surprised by this at all. I will definitely be back.

The beach in Varadero is stunning, with powdery soft, white sand, and water that is a variety of shades of aqua blue. The water is great to swim in here, because there’s no rocks and seaweed; just beautiful, soft, white sand. It looked like there was some coral that you could swim out to to go snorkeling right off the beach, but when we were there it was too wavy for us to venture out that far. The best thing is that there is never a problem finding lounge chairs and shade. And there’s a beach bar close by that offers refreshments to quench your thirst.

The pool area was beautiful and relaxing. They didn’t play cheesy music all day, and there was never a problem finding lounge chairs and umbrellas for shade. Each day, a hotel worker spent several hours cleaning and skimming the water, and it was crystal clear. Also, we were able to enjoy the convenience of having a swim up bar right there.

The food options at this hotel are limited. They have one a la carte, and 1 buffet restaurant. At the pool bar, they serve pastries in the morning. And sometimes, they offered ham and cheese at various random times throughout the day and evening. However, we could always find something edible and didn’t go hungry. What they lack in food offerings, they make up for in their coffee. Hands down, best cappuccinos I’ve ever had!!! Also, I would recommend that you try one of the many restaurants in Varedaro. We went to Al Capones and to Kikis’ Pizzaria. Both offered great food at extremely affordable prices.

The location of this hotel is perfect! Almost every y day, we spent some time exploring Varadero’s main strip, which is just a short walk away from the hotel. One day, we took a horse and buggy ride from one end of Varedaro to the other, which was a great leisurely way to check everything out. Mostly though, we took cabs, which is a fun and inexpensive way to get around in Varedaro. I say fun, because most of the cabs here are old vintage cars from the 40’s and 50’s. They’re all suped up and their owners are super proud to show them off. Part of the fun was anticipating what kind of car we would end up with next. The most expensive cab ride, cost only $10 for the four of us to go from the hotel, all the way to the other end of Varadero.

This hotel is definitely not a party place. They do put on a show every evening that we were unimpressed with, and they opened the disco on several occasions for people to dance. The good thing is that there are lots of public discos and bars that play live music just a short distance away in Varadero. I’ve been to Holguin and to Cayo Coco several times, but I’d have to say that Varadero’s my favorite place to visit in Cuba; simply for the fact that there’s much more to do and places to explore.

When you travel to Cuba, please remember to bring extra toiletries and small gifts (clothing, shoes, hats, etc..) for the hotel staff, people that you meet in Varadero and if you take an excursion to Havana. It’s difficult for Cuban people to by such things, and they very appreciative to receive our gifts. Cuban people are very proud, and it’s rare to be approached for food or money. On our trip to Havana, we were advised by our tour guide to be on the lookout for people who appeared to be in need, and to quietly approach them with our gifts, rather than giving everything to the buskers who are in your face asking for money in exchange for them performing for you.

In conclusion, if you are looking for a hotel in Cuba that is clean and well maintained, offers a friendly and relaxing atmosphere, has a great beach, and is located within walking distance to Varadero’s main strip, I would definitely recommend Be Live Las Morlas. You won’t be disappointed!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank junesp00n
Montreal, Canda
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2012

We booked this trip very last minute because of the price. I usually travel with my family and children but this was an all-girls trip (all of us are moms so I'll write it from that perspective).

The hotel is very nice but small. The pool is honestly nothing special at all, there's a pool bar but no swim-up bar so that was a downer. The pool bar was average, the bartneders were all very nice. The entertainment staff tried very hard but I've seen 100 times better. It was always the same pre-show and the time was never consitant. Sometimes they would start at 8, other days 9, 9:30...it was basically when they were ready. The acts were just laughable...no plays or anything like that. For the games, if you win, it was a bottle of wine. I've been to other resorts where they give you hard alcohol, hats, tshirts, spa certificats...here it was just wine (my friend won 3 of them!)

The kids club was always closed and there's no kids swimming pool or anything like that. There was a little park at the front of the hotel but it looked old and unused.

The food was very average. I'm not sure why people wrote reviews saying it was so good. I've been to Cuba before and I know that they don't have the best cuisine but this wasn't any better. The same food every single day - if you're health conscious, good luck. The only eadable, flavourable thing was pasta (you make your own), and some of the meats at night. Fish was always overcooked or fried, seafood was scarce or fried in with rice. Salads were not bad but how much salad can you eat? It just wasnt that great. Also, the lunch buffet wasn't open 5 out of 7 days we were there so everyone always ended up at the beach buffet which is smaller and has less food options (usually hamburgers, hotdogs, rice and root vegetables).

Again, I've been to other resorts where for breakfast they'd have 6 different types of cheese and meats, here it was the same cheese and 2 meats every single day. No variety, at all.

The beach was the best part about this resort. Lots of lounge chairs, if you arrive early, the guy in charge will come and clean the chairs for you and lay them out where you want. We never had to wake up early to do the towel thing. Chairs were always available. We did the free catarman ride which was nice. They take you out in the water for 20 minutes but the guy made it very clear that he wanted a tip. We didn't snorkel but it didnt look like there was anything to see.

The beach bar was the worst bar from all the bars. They only make 4-5 different drinks + beer. No mojitos, no fruit drinks so that was disappointing. We kept having to walk to the pool bar to get our drinks buit they didnt like us having glass cups there but whatever!

The room was decent. Clean. We had a little visitor that we named Lizzy (for lizzard) living with us for 2 days. That made my girlsfriends very uncomfortable but we managed to get her out one night. I personally didnt care but it definitely made me close my luggage every day! We never had any problems with money or theft so thats always good.

We did 3 excursions, the Havana trip (amazing), the Catamaran trip (beyond amazing) and the half day cave trip (very good). The catamaran trip is a must! Havana too for that matter. Its definitely a nice experience to see the city....even the bus ride was amazing.

Other than that, I can't really say much about this hotel. Night life wasn't the greatest either. We had a free entrance to the next door hotels club so we went there one evening and it was nice but again, not spectacular.

Had I gone with my children, this hotel would have stressed me out. There really wasnt anything fun to do there except hang on the beach. All their milk was powedered milk so I would have been in trouble for that with my younger children. The fact that we went as friends made the experience much better and I truly believe that your vacation is what you make of it. You make the best of your situation...we didnt pay that much and we were really looking to relax and getaway and thats exactly what we did.

Would I go back or recommend this hotel to anyone? No.

Feel free to message me with questions!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Traveller_mom2
Ottawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Be Live Las Morlas resort at the beginning of December. We found the resort simply lovely. The rooms were basic, but clean, the resort itself was VERY clean - everywhere. The pool was lovely and, again, very clean. The beach is amazing... but, that I already knew, having been to Varadero 3 times previously. The staff is really what makes this resort worth coming to. They were so friendly, and hepful, and very grateful for anything that we left them - little gifts for the housekeeper, and a few pesos for the bartenders and waiters/waitresses. They always had a smile for us, and remembered us after our first day there.

The food is mediocre. We had no trouble finding something to fill us up each day, but I can see how someone would find it a bit frustrating after a few days. However, as my husband put it "They do the best they can with what they have, and that's really all you can ask for".

Over all, this was a fantastic experience, and we will go back to this resort.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LadyInOttawa
Calgary, Alberta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

I can't believe that this is the same resort that I read the reviews about. After staying in Havana and Trinidad, we booked our last night in Varadero prior to our flight home. The only good things that I can point out are the staff. Most were very friendly and helpful. However, our room was run down, the AC was too loud to run, the shower hose leaked so much that we had to sit in the tub and just try our best to spray down. The "entertainment" at the pool started around 5 and continued noisily until after midnight. The food was simply bad. Watered down juices, unappealing eggs, etc etc. Thank goodness for the freshly cooked omelets and crepes. They were very good. And although we got used to the smoking in Cuba, this place was over the top. Even the staff were smoking while they worked. Oh, and we were charged the extra 10% for US exchanges even though we used a Canadian bank credit card...a first during our stay in Cuba. You can certainly do better for the money.

Room Tip: Don`t overlook the pool.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank supergeo
Montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

My mother and I stayed at Be Live Las Morlas from January 1st- 8th. This being my 3rd time going to Cuba I had low expectations but was pleasantly surprised. No it does not compare to a 5* in Jamaica or Dominican but if this is what you want you shouldn't be going to Cuba.

The hotel itself is very small compared to other places I have been but you get to know the people who work there as well as other guests from the hotel. If you are going to party and stay up all night - this is NOT the place for you.

The rooms were cozy and very clean. Only complaint I had about the room was that you can hear everything that was going on outside unless you turned on the a/c (which was extremely loud LOL) not sure the walls were very thick. They only give you one free water bottle after that you either have to refill it or buy another one (no big deal 1 CUC).

Food was good - fish & chicken were our favorites.
Beach is amazing.

Overall good stay at this hotel, would go back if the price was right.

7 Thank ali88Montreal
St. Catharines, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2012

We just got back from a week at the Be Live Hotel, Las Morlas in Varadera, Cuba. We went with low expectations to Cuba in the Ist place because of comments from various people. What we GOT was the most friendly, beautiful people I have met on an Island ! The staff here is incredible, like coming home. The rooms are cozy, very European in style, I esp liked the removable shower head. Very clean, maid Olga was so sweet. The food was delicious!!! We weren't expecting so much flavor - and were so pleasantly surprised. We loved it! Meat wise, everything from chicken, beef, pork (esp good), lots of seafood, and some of the best pasta sauce I've had:) Absolutely LOVED the local musicians who serenade you at your tables!! Beautiful music!!

If you want small, quiet and clean, this is the place We have been to many resorts in Dominican, Costa Rica etc and this is the most quiet place we've been to. The rooms have air conditioners which totally block out any outside noise. Because it's such a small resort, you get to know the staff, the other patrons and everything is in close proximity, including the beach, so anyone with any handicaps would be able to navigate very easily here. The pool area is lovely, with lots of shade umbrella's. The beach also has lots of shade. The only thing I disliked were the hard chairs on he beach. Next time I would bring one of those blow up mattress's you use on the beach, to put on the chairs. Other than that this resort is fantastic!

Oh and the cappuccino's are mmmmmmmmmmm good:)

We would definately go back !!!!!

9 Thank Sharon K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Varadero
Sol Hotel
Royal Palms
Royal Palms
#1 of 3 in South Hill
Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas Resort

Been to Be Live Experience Las Morlas? Share your experiences!