“1 bedroom apt, no issues”

Islazul Mar del Sur Aparthotel
Ranked #51 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Just wanted to take the time to write a quick review after being a little freaked out over the reviews left. Friends of ours have stayed here for the last 4 years, so we were joining an awesome group of people. Lets start with the staff. They were all pleasant, helpful, cheerful, and constantly making an effort to ensure a good stay. The facilities were nice. average, not over the top and beautiful, but its a 2 and a half star resort...you get what you pay for. I saw a few ants, none in my room...nothing in my bed, no crazy horrible stories, but when there are no doors and open lobby, there are bound to be a couple ants on the floor. I do have a few photos, i'm hoping they upload properly so i can share what we had for a room. As for the food, well, its cuban food. there were restaurants off resort that had worse food than our all inclusive meals. The food was ok, we did bring our own spices and condiments to make it more enjoyable. There was no funny smells, no filth, and in 7 days wondering around the city, i saw 1 cockroach on the street. My suggestions if you're planning a trip here is to bring your own pillow, and bring some spices and condiments. We had a great time staying in the heart of the city. It was nicer to be downtown than it was way out at the east end of the city where there was nothing but resort properties. Hope this relieves some fears...

Room Tip: We had a one bedroom apartment facing the pool, new fridge, new ac, nice view
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Cin2001
There are newer reviews for Islazul Mar del Sur Aparthotel

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Trip booked though SUNWING

OMG Don't go to this DUMP, if you already have plans then I suggest you cancel. If your already there then there will be no help available, and you will just have to weather out the storm.

A photo says a lot, I have uploaded lots. The first room we were giving reeked of mold, open the door and had an instant asthma attack...the smell was horrible, curtains falling down, window broken, bed covers dirty ...the list goes on.

Second room...had to argue for this....At the front desk for about an hour, it's getting close to midnight now and they are saying there is nothing available, yet 2/3 of the keys are still there. It really isn't that nothing is available, how are they going to top what we have just been offered. WONDERFUL NEWS: They are upgrading us to a 2 bedroom apt.......As I slowly open the door wondering what is on the other side, and to my surprise the smell of mold as now been replaced with urine. I am going to be OK I tell myself, I brought Lysol wipes and I can clean myself. I switch the light on and see some critters running across the floor, Ok so the place is old and it got some bugs.....My partner was quick to let me know that they are not just any bugs, they are special one' that they call COCKROACHES....well let me tell you I sobbed and cried like a baby, I felt sick. Being so exhausted from the long day I though I was going to have a mental break down, I am sure I would have been in a better place if I had. We decided to leave all the lights on as this should keep the COCKROACH hidden out of sight. Besides it would give us the opportunity to get a great view of the mold on the walls, the mirror broken, dirty sheets, water coming from the light fixture. This is not fiction, I couldn't make this up if I tried.

Rather than pull the two beds together, we used one, to keep our luggage on. Couldn't sleep, tossed and turned all night...thought I could feel something biting me, but I convinced myself that it's just my imagination..just like the song.

Morning finally arrives: What a dump, See uploaded photos of my room, It ain't the ritz!! I can handle the place being old, but this place is just plain neglected, filthy, infested with cockroaches, ants, covered in mold, stinks of urine....it is just plain GROSS.

This place is a hotel for locals....The food is not fit for human consumption...it smelled and looked like dog food. I've been to Cuba before and their food I can eat.....It you don't mind eating a little bird poo, ants, crunchy cockroaches then maybe you will be OK with the food.

Before you consider going to this hotel, ask yourself this question"""Would you sleep in the slums of downtown Toronto and risk bringing home Bedbugs or Roaches with you?"" If you answer no, then find another place to go to.

Sunwing advertised this place as a place of standards and states that it's been visited by a Sunwing rep. I have ask Sunwing are they talking about Canadian standards or Cuban standards, and when was the last time a Sunwing rep inspected the place. To no surprise they will not answer those questions. You on your own when you go there.

Before I forget, don't expect to crystal clear water in the pool, that is clouded with God knows what.....I am sure I received an infection from the one time i risked getting in it....I am now being treated with antibiotics infection, steroid cream and allergy meds for the bedbug bites I suffered in the om.....they keep appearing even after I returned home, apparently this is normal. I unpacked my luggage in the garage after returning home....all clothing items were washed and suitcases placed in the backyard for 2 days.

The second morning when I got up the bed was covered in ants, not just a couple, more like a couple hundred....ants were everywhere there. I though it was safe to have a coffee one day and found ants floating in the top of it.......making me sick thinking about it....I went back to the coffee machine and found the sugar container full of ants.

You can have all the beer you want, or cheap rum....nothing special....they didn't even start up the ice machine while I was there. Coffee in the lobby and pool bar looks and taste like black tar, no clue what that was. A la carte is closed during low season, yet SUNWING still has it listed in the hotel description, it also states it is non-smoking, but people smoke everywhere, and Cubans love to smoke.

If you have any questions that I may have failed to answer please feel free to contact me thornhill73@hotmail.com

Last note..Don't try to be cheap cause it will cause you more in the end.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
22  Thank wandasss
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We brought our family of 5.. Which included 2 adults & 3 children - ages 1,2 & 13. I would not recommend this hotel to any family to bring there children. We tipped house keeping 5CUC a day to keep it clean & free of ants.. if you are single & are accustomed to old apartments with moldy water taps & showers then it is a great deal to stay at the hotel. It is not a family hotel or good for a family.

• Stayed: October 2012
8  Thank TravellingMama8958
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I've been happy with this hotel in the past, but not this time. The majority, and I mean 98% of guests are locals, who hoard the food and then leave it on tables untouched to be thrown out. Very disheartening. The beach area is filthy... wrappers, empty cans and plastic cups, feces, and used feminine products line the sand and the sea. The times of getting a really good deal in Varadero's lower grade hotels in the downtown area such as Mar del Sur, Villa La Mar, etc. are over in my opinion. Unfortunately...

Room Tip: Face away from the pool if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
11  Thank esila
Reviewed August 14, 2012

This review comes very late as I vacationed at this resort in June 2007 (first trip to Cuba). My friend and I went with low expectations and we had a great time! We just used the room to sleep in as we were on excursions everyday. The food is not as bad as we thought as we heard horrible things about cuban food. It's not great but it is okay and we didn't starve. There is not a lot to do around the resort. They had 1 or 2 "entertainment nights" but it was all in spanish. The AC didn't work very well but the room was clean.

I wouldn't recommend this resort to a family with small children or if you are looking to just lounge around. If you plan to be out all week and just looking for somewhere to sleep and don't care about a 4 or 5 star resort, this is your place.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
7  Thank mattycam
Reviewed June 26, 2012

The resort is a little old, but it was spacious, it was downtown and close to all amenities. The staff was friendly and they treated you good. The maid service was good and the rooms were clean. Excellent price for all inclusive resort, the beach was awesome, would defiantly go back.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
12  Thank Michael M
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Welcome , waiting time 10-15 minute if you are first , receptions talk on the phone .food , there is not food ,if you do not wake up early,dirty table clots , fly's everywhere in the restaurant, no milk no drinking water YOU WILL STAY HUNGRY and go outside with your children's to eat ,buy it outside of hotel and if you came with the children will make you pay big buck $ to move to other hotel and that is what we did it after 1 night.
if you think you will drink pinacolada you are wrong you will get only pina there is no milk so no colada.
la carte restaurant , there is but you can not book it they do not have the paper to put you in and you will be bounce from relationship office to the receptionist and to the restaurant back and ford .
Tv in room not working wait for repair man who is working only afternoon,
If you are thinking it is family resort you are mistaken , if we did not have baby milk for our 9 months daughter 2 years old and 5 years old will be starving cos there is no eatable food.
After meeting with sunwing rep at 420pm we request to transfer to the other hotel and big fee $890 and after put down to $590 apply even we want to relocate immediate and they made us to go in the other hotel on your expenses ( it is just $50 for taxi )but bell boy will tell you i have friend who will take you for $10 and after make you wait 30 minute or so we walk to main road just 3 minute away to take local taxi.

Room Tip: Do not go to this hotel .
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family