“Can't wait to go back!!!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Los Delfines

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Los Delfines
Ranked #41 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Ottawa, Canada
“Can't wait to go back!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

My bf and I stayed here in January because the deal we got was too good to pass up. I have to admit however, after reading reviews I was a little nervous. I will admit check-in seemed to take an extreme amount of time since we were a bus full of people but it could also be that we arrived at 10:30pm and I was exhausted! Beware: this is a very small resort. If you are not a people person, this might not be the place for you... We spent the week with the people we met on the plane/bus and the only time you can get away from them is to leave the resort, we cant really complain though; we met some good people! THE RESORT: older but clean, 4 buildings now seperated by a very quiet street (it sounds weird but its nothing really) I cant say much for the pool because we didnt go in it once but it looked clean (small though) we spent a part of our day at the pool bar to keep out of the sun and the rest of the day at the beach where there is also a bar and various activities that go on throughout the day (a couple shows at night as well at the beach bar). There are several cats around the resort but they mostly sleep all day. THE ROOMS: (our room was in the lobby building) small but who really stays in a room down south?! It was perfect for sleeping and very clean. Our housekeeping staff were really friendly, and so were all the other employees there. THE FOOD: very repetetive but reasonable. Omelettes for breakfast and pasta for lunch and supper with your choice of sauce and meat. The dinning area is dated but I'm not a fancy kind of girl so it didnt bother me. Beer is free at the pool bar however they charge for beer at the beach bar since locals are aloud at this bar as well. LOCATION: perfectly situated on the main strip, walking distance to banks, clubs, boutiques. EXCURSIONS: there are people selling excursions on the resort and they are worth it! We did the jeep safari and had a blast. There were a few toddlers around but the resort was mostly older (by older i mean 30+)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Keri M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Czech first
Bailieboro, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

I've been in many hotels in Varadero and this is one of the best. Downtown, so it's close to everything. In my experience it makes sense to be downtown and save the money from the cabs. The pennisilla is beautiful but remote and full of mosquitos. Been there, done that.

The grounds were well kept and the staff great. Right on the beach. Its a small hotel so it was never a problem to get a chair. The room was always clean. We did have a flood one day but it was cleaned up immediately. It shorted out the safe and they also fixed this immediately. So they look after this hotel.

The foods boring but that's Cuba. Your so close to restaurants that are well priced, it will give you a little variety. The overall food in Cuba is a lot better than it used to be. There was no beef at one time. The pasta bar was good and the egg bar in the morning was great. I liked the hot dogs and pizza at the pool bar. Drinks were great...but try to get the ingredients....they always change.

I've seen a lot of complaints on here about cats....this is Cuba and like most of the caribbean, cats and dogs are free....you are no longer where your from so get used to it, Your only there for a week or 2. My greatest complaint about Cuba is not the hotel but that everyone wants a ti and Panhandlers on the streets. It never was like this and used to be against the law. We actually had to pay to use the washroom at the big market...oh and bring your own toilet paper if you'll be walking around. Hotels have, but everywhere else doesn't...they may not even have a seat. The reason for this is that the real Cuba doesn't have a system to handle toilet paper and most houses don't have seats....its just the way it is.

We went on the jeep safari...not impressed. I don't know how you snorkle in a lifejacket...makes it very hard on the neck to see anything as you float upright and look down :) , the boat was fun, but you just go up and down the river...we kinda felt like cattle. Then off to the farm. Lunch was a good traditional Cuban meal (I have friends there, so I know) but again we were asked to tip....tip, tip, tip. Then off to the cave. Be prepared, it is beautiful but 74 degrees. So getting back to the bus we were then asked to tip.

So for me no more tips in Cuba. One CUC peso is worth 24 of theirs. The people that work in Varadero are rich compared to the rest. I;ll be giving my tips to the locals away from Varadero, but be careful that only who you give to sees or you will be swarmed.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Liz_Peter2013
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

For the money the hotel was clean, the staff were friendly, the food was a little on the bland side and repetitive but it was not bad and there are plenty of other restaurants within walking distance that are good and very reasonably priced. The beach is one of the best I've seen and the weather was amazing. It was nothing like I was expecting.

Room Tip: If you like spicy food or tasty food bring a bottle of hot sauce or even ketchup, bring Imodium, I d...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank LisaWildenhaus
Muskoka, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

Travelled with Hola Sun for 1 week - October 19-26. Group of 4 women.

Flight was good, transfer was smooth, check in was fast, and at 11am our rooms were ready despite check in being 4pm.

Given rooms 141 and 142. The rooms are average. For the price you pay to stay here.. they could be MUCH MUCH worse. Rooms were very clean, maid was great, towel art and restocked amenities daily. Bathroom had a stand up shower (no tub) and a bidet.

Safe in the room is electronic and free to use. Never saw bugs in the room. Beds were older, had a few springs in my sides, but I think it depends which room, again, wasn't an issue. The AC worked TOO well, so cold, but you could turn it on and off or up and down yourself. We got plenty of english channels on the TV. We had a view of the pool/partial ocean which was really nice.

Pool was tiny, but no one really uses it, so it was plenty big enough for the 4 of us and the other 2-10 people that were ever at it. The drinks were great, too much alcohol all the time, not a problem for us, we asked for less if we needed to. The lobby bar is across the street on the beach, and you do not have to pay for beer, they have a keg. You can buy canned beer in the gift shop there, but we ordered beer and never had to pay. They make great spanish coffees/espressos etc at the lobby bar as well. The street you have to cross to get to the ocean/lobby bar is NOT busy, ever, it's a short walk.

As for food, We ate at the buffet only ONE time for dinner, 0 times for lunch, but did have breakfast everyday. Limited selection yes, but the "resort" only has about 100 rooms so we weren't expecting much in the way of options. Breakfast had an omlette/egg station and some fruit, cold cuts, fresh croissants, buns, toast. We made due. The A la carte was AMAZING. It was really good, more food than we could finish, great service, MUST do. Very yummy. We ate out for dinner at local restaurants nearly every night ( Esquina Cuba, El Caney, Nonna Tina's, El Rancho... MUST DO.. very reasonably priced and HUGE portions, GREAT seafood).

Entertainment was alright, Luciano is SO fun, and really cares about the guests. You will meet him if you stay here, he makes a point of it. For the show, they alter nights between the lobby on the beach and the stage in the pool... VERY VERY loud when in the pool if your room is viewing the pool, but hey it ends before 11 so you can't really complain. The resort is very quiet, mostly couples, older generations, a few local families came in and that was my only complaint, no mannerisms (blowing noses in the pool) things like that.

Remember to tip, the staff really isn't making much and a peso goes a long way. The Sangria at the pool bar is great!

To get a beach towel you need to deposit 10 dollars which you get back when you return it. You pay at the main lobby, then go across the street near the pool tables to a little door where security will unlock and give you the towel, you return it there later, get your piece of paper back, take it back to the main lobby for your refund.

Calls from the room to canada are 1.90 per minute, no connection fee, which is cheaper than what it was on my cell phone.

There's a cabarete show included, which is located at hotel international (6 peso cab ride in an old style cab), VERY worth it, you get a welcome mojito very yummy and the show is very cool to watch).

Our shower was broken the first day, we told our rep and within an hour a whole new shower head was put in while we were at the pool relaxing. The resort is so cheaply priced that it really is a gem in downtown varadero, we can't complain. The food could be better, they could do with a bit of updating/fresh paint/some renovations, but truthfully for the price you pay for this resort (under 500/week or 800/2 weeks) it's quality for sure. I'd go again if the price was right. Be sure to go out and try local restaurants though, they really are amazing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a pool view, preferably on the 141/142 side as you will see the ocean a bit, an...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank briesy99
Fenwick, Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Just returned from a wonderful week in Varadero. The weather was great and the company wonderful. This is our second visit to Los Delfines this year and based on our cost of the trip we feel we got our monies worth.
I think with a little attention to detail they could bring up the level of this hotel. The staff and room were great. The food was a little better than it was in January but, there is a lot of room for improvement. They need to bring in a system of trays with plastic lids to remove the flies from the food. This was also a problem in January so I think that the flies are a year round problem. The a la carte restaurant was very well done.
The resorts public restrooms need an update. There is no real functioning toilet in the reception area and the pool washroom never had soap or toilet tissue or seats. This is an easy fix but one that is definitely needed now.
The beach in January was very clean but, this time I was disappointed with the amout of litter we saw on the beach. This was garbage left by the locals, not the visitors. I mentioned the litter to the Hola Sun rep. and the nexted day it had been picked up.
The Hola Sun rep. suggested a Classic car private trip to Havana with our own tour guide and I must say that this was a very informative trip and the highlight of our vacation.
We would probably go back to Los Delfines but, will be reading the reviews before we book to see if anything has improved at the resort.
The location is great and on the whole we enjoy coming to this resort.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool and oceans were great. We had rooms 141 and 145. We have also stayed in room...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nadine S
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

We went August 3rd for one week. Travelled with Hola Sun.
We checked in and were given a lovely pool view room. The room was small but nice and clean.
Two big single beds, comfortable bedding. Nice bathroom complete with bidet, very european!
The front desk staff all week were super friendly and accommodating. Most of them spoke pretty good english. Note they did not always have currency readily available to change.
We requested a fridge and they brought one the next day. It did not work and one of the cleaning staff took it upon himself to report it, a technician came and fixed it within a few hours.
Cleaning staff were great and always came when it was convenient for us, and did a great job.
Note this resort is in two main buildings. One where the main reception is and the rooms around the pool, the pool and snack bar.
There is no bar in the reception lobby which is quite small.
You have to cross a small beach road to get to the other buildings which house the lobby bar.
The rooms in this building are ocean view and apparently are older rooms.
This building is where you will find beach towels if you can find the guy who is often busy doing other things like sweeping etc.
Then on this side of the road, which is beach side, is the building that houses the buffet restaurant and the ala carte, upstairs from the buffet. Everything is in close proximity to each other. And there is security at all entrances.
This resort caters extensively to Italians and in fact has an entire Italian Guest tourist office off of the lobby bar. We found service in the lobby bar to be terrible. We always tip and we discovered that this did not make a difference in getting any service. We were often ignored whilst other guests went to the bar and ordered. We noticed no one else was tipping and yet getting much better service, so we stopped. The pool bar service was better. The snacks at the pool bar were very basic and not good.
The buffet was standard for Cuba. The Ala Carte food however was very nice and the service was excellent. The dining room is quite small, only about 6 tables. We took the only table outside on the balcony overlooking the ocean. Because the restaurant is small, they will book reservations for tables around the pool area. It is not the same but it is the same food.
The guy booking reservations for dinner is in a room on the ground floor of the main building off of the pool area. He was very accommodating and spoke english.
The beach is great, you can walk out quite far in the ocean.
The location if fantastic. You are very central to the town. There is a great restaurant at Calle 40, two blocks from resort, where you can get a fabulous lobster dinner for $18. The lobster tails are equivalent of two of ours here.
I also recommend walking along the beach road where you can sample street vendor food which is very cheap and delicious.
As always we felt very safe in Cuba, the people love the Canadian tourists.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Caro99Toronto
Barrie, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

My daughter and I went to this hotel the first week of September. I love Cuba and had gone in April but the price of this vacation was too good to pass up. $756.00 all in for two people. We had to take a chance...didn't we?? We are used to three star resorts in Cuba as we don't want to spend a lot of money for the same beautiful beach and weather so off we went with no expectations other than a nice relaxing beach holiday.

Flight with Canjet was o.k although I have to say I do prefer Sunwing. I think we left relatively on time. Arriving in Varadero we quickly got to our bus and arrived at Los Delfines. First impressions were o.k. It's small, a bit rundown but we were expecting that. One odd thing, at check in they kept our passports for an hour. Never had that happen before. We got our room. It was o.k. Overlooked the pool, it was quiet as there was no nightly show at the pool. Basic hard beds and flat pillows but clean enough.

We quite liked the set up, although there was a small road to cross to the beach it was not a big deal. Everything was to hand. Bar and pool just downstairs. Another bar at the beach (within the second part of the hotel) There was another beach bar which you had to pay for drinks at, so we didn't bother. Would have loved to have stayed at the older original hotel but didn't ask but we did see the rooms and they were quite different. Very colonial with lovely features and spacious with high ceilings. Talked to one guest who had a room in the older building with a terrace and it sounded perfect if I were to go back I would request it....but...I'm not sure I would go back.

What really lets this hotel down is the food. I'm not new to three star Cuban hotels but this one needs to work on the food. Quality, presentation and variety were all very poor. Fish a couple of nights was o.k and one night there was a pig roast but overall not very enjoyable. The best meal of the week was the a la carte Set in the dining room of the old part of the hotel, the setting was lovely, food was great and we so enjoyed it all but alas that night and for four days after, I was not very well. I hate to think that it was this meal in particular that made me sick but I had to stay in bed on the last day of our trip and actually went to the doctor on return to get antibiotics. I also had to miss two days of work.

Such a shame really, as I wanted to enjoy this hotel and write a great review but my experience was a bit too much on the negative. The staff for the most part were great. Beach was good (it's Varadero) Although was very disconcerted to see human waste floating up to the beach on one occasion. Never had that happen before either. Weather was more rainy than I had experienced before in Sept and one day I think we had a tropical something come through as the lightening, thunder and torrential rain went on all afternoon. Flight out was confusing. On arriving at the airport it showed our flight leaving an hour early...great we thought but it wasn't to be. Not sure what went on but it left at the scheduled time.

So yes it was cheap vacation but don't think I would want to repeat the experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Taffcanada
Also consider these accommodations in or near Varadero
Sol Hotel
Hotel Villa Lodge 4 Epices
Hotel Villa Lodge 4 Epices
#5 of 7 in Grand Cul-de-Sac
Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas Resort

Been to Hotel Los Delfines? Share your experiences!