“Too bad for the awful greens”
Review of Varadero Golf Club

Varadero Golf Club
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Varadero Golf Club is the only 18 hole72 par golf course in Cuba. It has all the facilities, services and equipment associated with the practice of golf. It was opened in 1999. It was designed by architect Les Furber, President of the Canadian company Golf Design Services LTD (GDS), combining three (3) golfing architectures Classic design, Challenging or Target Golf design and Links design. It covers a narrow 3.5 Km strip located between "Los Cactus ", "Tuxpan", "Bella Costa", Melia "Las Americas", "Golf & Suites Resort", "Melia Varadero", "Sol Club Palmeras", and "Sol Club Sirenas" hotels. TECHNICAL DESCRIPTION OF THE GOLF COURSE - 18 holes; 72 par: 5 par 5 holes and 5 par 3 holes; remaining 8 holes are par 4. - 6 269 linear meters of trajectory between the First Tee or starting point and Green 18. Three golfing architectures have been combined: 1. Classic design, broad roads bordered by trees, wide and scarcely protected greens. 2. Challenging or Target Golf design, modern style with narrow roads and heavily protected greens surrounded by sand traps and lakes. The Varadero Golf Course has several salt water lakes that connect directly with the sea, a feature that makes it almost unique worldwide. 3. Links design, with holes located alongside the sea following the shoreline, introducing the ocean as another obstacle in the game. It allows golf players to combine all the technical elements of the game with the beauty, peacefulness and quiet of the surroundings. Our Golf Club continues expanding its most ambitious golf facilities projects by opening the first golf academy operated by PGA professionals and instructors from the Cuban Golf Federation. Practice areas (300 meters for long games, 2 putting greens, 1 shipping green, 2 bunkers) are structured to allow instruction to be imparted indoors, including the use of accessories, golf clubs and practice balls. The Golf Academy has designed various programs following international sports guidelines, rules and ethics, open to all professionals and students who wish to enjoy this fascinating game amidst breathtaking beaches and our wonderful culture. The Club House of the Varadero Golf Club has a golf players´ reception at the Caddie House, also including a Pro Shop and Snack Bar. We have facilities and experience in organizing international golf tournaments. We have hosted two European Challenge Tour Grand Finals (1999 and 2000). Golfing area 39.7 Ha. Greens 1.5 Ha. Ante-Greens 2.0 Ha. Tees 2.0 Ha. Fairways 23.9 Ha. Rough 10.3 Ha. Indigenous woods 3.3 Ha. Lagoons 13.4 Ha. Internal roads: 3.7 Ha. Parks and other architectural features: 0.9 Ha. Total area: 61.0 Ha.
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I had the pleasure of visiting Varadero in January of 2010. I was totally stoked as I'm an avid golfer and I was really looking forward to playing a Les Furber lay out. The course itself was in great shape and it is a great track, however the greens were in deplorable condition, taking away a great deal of the enjoyment. I'm returning in January of 2013 and I'm hoping and praying that this problem has been solved. PS. Kudos for the hotel Breezes Varadero great staff and I'm really looking forward to returning there.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We played 8 times between October 4 and 18th and were lucky enough to have included green fees with our hotel, Melia Las Antillas. The rough was challenging and I was a little disappointed that the 16th was not as difficult as I had hoped...but, still fun. Some days the wind was pretty heavy which really made course management important. Overall, great time!! I have 3 complaints:
1) when sanding the greens, please sift the sand and remove the rocks!
2) come on now, $33 CUC per person for a cart?? Just a little excessive!!
3) send the drink cart around a little more often, especially in the afternoon heat.
I will play it again but, only if the green fees are included with my package again. I would not pay the $95 CUC cart/green fee.

2  Thank John C
Reviewed October 20, 2012

This was the first time we took our golf clubs along on a beach vacation and we were really glad we did. Our all-inclusive package at the hotel ( Paradisus Veradero ) included a round of golf
( cart was mandatory and cost $65 Pesos / Dollars for the cart ) Once you've played this course, you will see why the cart is mandatory ... because the course is built between the ocean on one side and the road on the other ( long and narrow ) --- making the entire length of the course OVER 3 KMS LONG !! ... I kid you not , but that was one of the unique features of this course. Take some extra balls because there is quite a bit of water - especially hole #16 - " Tres Lagos" - meaning 3 Lakes. It's a par 5 that crosses water 3 times. They do have rentals if you don't want to bother taking your clubs. Very reasonable food and drinks at the clubhouse. Beer was $2.25, Iced Tea $1.00, lunch about $4.00. We will definately golf there again on our next visit to Veradero.

1  Thank 1to3sold
Reviewed October 19, 2012

A really fine 18 hole course that is narrow and long so take a buggy. The fairways and greens were in good shape and the green fees at 95 CUC including all were reasonable. I wish they had a driving range though as I had to start cold.

2  Thank PharmaTraveller
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I played the course beginning of June, 2012. I was somewhat reluctant because of the cost. Then I was told the green fee was included in our hotel package (We were staying at the Melia Varadaro, which is adjacent to the hotel (you walk to the Melia Las Americas next door then right past it to the course).
Well..."free" was not exactly free. There is a charge for the cart and the clubs - about a total of $90 Canadian. You really have to have a cart (they require one to be used anyway), especially in the hotter, more humid weather. The course is in good shape (though the greens needed to be groomed a bit). It is a bit short for a full-sized course (about 1,000 yards shorter from each tee location), but interesting enough - and some of the holes along the Caribbean are quite picturesque. And...it's the only game in town. Take your golf glove, tees and balls with you.
I note one review that said not to bother taking anything with you, "they will supply it all for an affordable price". If the green fee had not been covered, I would have paid about $145 for the round. Not "affordable" in my book.

4  Thank Leonardo P