“GREAT value”

Ranked #2 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Calgary, Canada
“GREAT value”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

We travel to hot destinations 3 to 5 times per year and always stay at 4.5 or 5 star adults only resorts...in all this time, this was our first trip to Cuba. We booked 2.5 days before we left so got a smoking deal at $850. all in/person.

Absolutely loved Cuba, service truly was great with the majority of the staff more than willing to go out of their way for you - we consider ourselves fairly low maintenance travelers so we didn't have much use for the butler service. That said, Felix was awesome, he checked on us every day, booked our a la cartes and even got me a toothbrush (sealed wrapper) because I was stupid enough to forget mine at home. I'm sure that if we'd have required excursions or anything else, Felix would have been more than happy to make sure we were well taken care of.

It's true, the food isn't quite as good as other destinations, but we found it to be better than expected. I had an omelette and bacon/sausage everyday for breakfast and it's true - they do ask if you want it well done...I don't know about other cultures but I do like mine well done. I'm not sure about the omelette guy's name, but he was great and remembered me and what I wanted by day 3 - I did tip him more than once. We were never "hungry" at this resort and neither of us got sick, so that's a good thing.

Drinks and drink service was also great - no complaints.

The main reason we came here was to RELAX on the beach and in the water - we were not disappointed, this was the best beach we have ever been to. You can walk for what seems like forever and the water is absolutely gorgeous - to look at and to swim in. It would have been nice to see the palapa area more finely groomed - there are cigarette butts and other litter buried in the sand - as a smoker, I was ashamed :( - I did not contribute to the problem however.

The pool area is very nice, but they really do need shade - no umbrellas. This was a former Sandals resort and they are going through changes/renovations - we knew this before hand and it really didn't make a big difference to us in the big picture.

The room was spotlessly clean and cleaned very well every day, the rooms do have nice large terraces which is a big plus for those who like to sit outside their room - it was swept and kept clean daily also.

We loved the Royal Hicacos and hope to return soon.

Room Tip: We had 1411 which was top floor, corner - quite a ways from the restaurants but very quiet and we di...
9 Thank Grant M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (858)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Stayed at this hotel 5th - 19th June. Service from staff was amazing. Suite was a good size and always clean. Entertainment was good. Beach was just as in the brochure, white sand, calm, crystal clear water and as warm as a bath! We spent many hours in the sea.
La Caribe - sadly, food wasn't up to standard! The Grill - (Beach Restaurant) was very nice. But overall the food wasn't anything to get excited about....
Trip to Havana and Tropicana was very good value for money as was the catamaran trip.
Disappointed that a large area of the resort was under reconstruction - we were advised this was just the lobby area however, it was much more than that.

Room Tip: Stayed in Room 1402 (Sunrise) Very quiet. Air Con very good.
4 Thank Theresa P
Felix C, Director General at Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 7, 2014
Dear guests:

We were quite disappointed to read your comments as we went out of our way to make your stay unforgettable.

We would like to point out a few details to make sure our future guests receive the right information about our hotel. First of all buffet menus vary every day, there are many different stations still to eat something different every day. We will revise our cooking procedures though.
Unfortunately we tried to find your happiness during your stay with us and it seems we were not to your expectations even with all of your efforts. Please believe us when we say that we have your best interests at heart and it pains us very much that our efforts were in vain.
Also it is quite common that guests suffer some stomach upsets caused by the change of ambiance generally, as our doctor on site always reports to the management when a guest is ill to provide him with all attention such as special elaborated meals, refill with water and non citric juices the mini bars, if there would have been caused by the food at the buffet there would have been many more guests with stomach upsets, but we assure you that all higiene and health control methods are one of our most important issues daily.

We hope that you would like to visit us again after all the reparations are done. All of our managers and staff will still be giving the same customer service and attention you were given during your vacation and possible more, to make sure your next vacation is unforgettable.

Royal Hicacos Team,
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

Great hotel glad we stopped! The reviews on here are 90% correct not much else to say. The beach is the best for over a mile in each direction, the food great and staff friendly.
The only down side we found was the stray cats. Not nice ratting a meal when one brushes past your leg, foursome who don't like cats puts you on edge for rest of the meal.
The evening entertainment is poor same dancers doing the same thing 6 out of 7 nights only difference is the rock band. We preferred the piano bar much better.
Would stop again but would want to get out the hotel more of an evening.

• Stayed May 2014
Newmarket, Canada
Reviewed June 29, 2014

My wife and I returned home from the Royal Hicacos a week ago, so home on the 19th of June. I read the reviews and did quite a bit of research on the resort and they were mixed as is the normal case with opinions, so as always I went with an open mind. We arrived late at night, around 11pm, and the check in was flawless...there is construction that is going on but we really never even noticed, at all...no small feat when considering the scope of the project. I was immediately struck by the friendliness and professionalism of the staff. Felix was our "butler" and he was friendly and attentive, a great attitude in general. This was my 11th visit to Cuba and I have been to every corner and this was the first time that I received this level of customer service...it was exceptional. I must say before I continue that I find myself comparing Cuba to Cuba separating Cuba from other travel destinations i.e. "it was good, for Cuba" or "a 5 Star in Cuba is a 3 star everywhere else"...I am guilty of that in a way to manage expectations. I will say the customer service and the attention paid to customer care was world class and not just compared well with Cuba. More on that later.
The room 2911 was in the concierge section of the resort, when we arrived it was clean, spacious, and well equipped and well organized. A very pleasant surprise I must say. The resort was well lit at night and easy to get around, which is not always the case. In the morning we went to the buffet for breakfast and found it to be wonderful. There was plenty of different food to choose from. They had an omelette station, crapes(Yota(I probably screwed up the spelling) treated us especially my wife amazingly, he always managed to have fruit for her when none could be found), waffles plenty of fresh fruit and fresh fruit smoothies...it was vey well done and the service was extraordinary. We met Andres in the main restaurant and he took amazing care of us for the rest of the week. The staff was attentive without being overbearing, they engaged us in such a way that we never felt any amount of phoniness at all, they were wonderful
We fell into a routine of heading to the beach in the morning and then the pool in the early afternoon and the pool bar later in the day. The beach is amazing, it is the best I have seen in Cuba, period. There was acres of empty beach, beautiful whiteish sand, it was well kept and clean. The palapas on the beach were good, some were a little low and you had to squat down but they served the purpose and were plentiful. The beach chairs were in good condition and cleaned regularly. There was beach bar service and they did the best they could to keep the drinks coming.
Andres again took great care of us at lunch in the buffet and we headed to the pool bar. Tania, Louis-Alberto, and the bartender with the longish dark hair(I think her name started with an S) were amazing! They interacted with us, were very friendly, and we really never had to wait for a fresh drink. So far I was blown away by the staff and I still hadn't tipped. That told me something. We had much fun at the pool bar including the day I brought down the Patron Tequilla I bought at the duty free on the way down...suffice it to say a good time was had by all!!
I have to mention 3 other experiences that speaks volumes about Cuba as a destination and the Cuban people as a whole. It is my habit to tip the housekeeping staff on the first and last day, so on day one before going to the beach I took out a tip and put it on the pillow. My wife however was taking her sweet time as women do so I flopped on the bed to wait for her moving the tip money to the desk beside the bed. We left the room and when we returned the "tip money" which I forgot to put back on the pillow was still on the desk where I left it...awesome character was displayed by the housekeeping staff. The next incident we went out for dinner and the show and when we returned our bed was turned down, so someone had been in the room. When we returned to the room I was looking for the key for the safe, I checked my pockets, my wife looked through her things but it was no where to be found? I looked at the safe and oh, there it was left in the safe! The closet door was wide open, key visible if one only turned their head, but nothing was missing! Again awesome! The third incident was even worse this day and some of the night we didn't even lock the stupid safe and left it wide open, money in there electronics etc....It really spoke to how comfortable that we were with Cuba in general. We have had things go missing from our room in a couple of places in Mexico(the west side seemed worse than the set eastern side) but if we had done this almost anywhere else the outcome would have been much different.
Finally I would be remiss if I didn't mention Yanata in the concierge's office. She treated us as though we were her only guests but I know she did that as a matter of course. She was friendly, knowledgable, professional and sincere. She even arranged for a special last night send off with a warm bath draw rose petal trail to the warm bath that was drawn...amazing! She also had all of dinners, the spa treatment & arranged a private tour to Havana(don't see Havana any other way, and make sure you see Havana) by introducing us to Lisette and the driver Armando. He had a 1955 Chevy in blue, it had air-conditioning and it ran like a top. It was an amazing day, they joined us for lunch at a private restaurant called the Hostel where the food was amazing, the service amazing, the live entertainment was crazy good, atmosphere amazing...you get the picture...it was amazing!! Not just amazing for Cuba...it was amazing period!!!
I have travelled extensively in the Caribbean and Mexico, and this experience is the first time I can honestly say that I would return to this place just because of the wonderful people. I don't care if I stayed in a tent on the beach, the people we met at this resort could make any experience special. A huge thanks to all of the staff at and associated with the resort you have turned a cynical old skeptic into I a believer!!!

Room Tip: stay in the concierge section and let Yanata and the staff make your vacation special!
7 Thank Kevin B
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed June 27, 2014

We recently travelled to Varadero and stayed at the Royal Hicacos. Two days after booking our trip we received word that the hotel lobby and reception were under construction but work would be completed by June 20. No problem, that was right at our scheduled arrival date, so we were not concerned. Upon arriving at the resort, surprise, we were taken to a temporary reception area, which was completely unorganized. Marcelo greeted us, handed us a card, and told us to fill it in. Once we filled it in, we were told to go outside (since the reception area was too small to handle the 8 guests arriving at the same time) to wait. Some guests were offered a cool drink, however we were not. After 10 confusing minutes, they called our name, we went back inside, and waited for another 5 minutes for them to figure out who we were, while Marcelo collected everyone else's cards and took his time handing them to front desk agent who was yelling at him in spanish to hurry up. Not a great first impression. Finally they called our name again, said we were upgraded to concierge and asked to wait outside again. A few minutes later, our Butler Marcos showed up to give us a tour of the resort, while our luggage that no one was watching was left behind without anyone asking what was ours. After a short walk around the resort which honestly didn't really help us much, Marcos dropped us off at the Concierge Suite.

At the concierge suite, Mariyeisi walked us through the facilities, what was included, the services, what to expect and we went to our suite. She was excellent, and answered all of our questions. The room was a bit dates, but it was large, clean and a good location. This hotel has no ocean view rooms which luckily we were already aware of or that might have been disappointing. The room had air conditioning but we couldn't change the temperature all week, so it stayed at 24C which made it very hot for sleeping.

Walking around the resort, we realized that more than just the front the lobby was under maintenance. All of the resorts water features were being cleaned, so none of the fountains or ponds had water in them, which if you see the website, is a significant part of the resort. The grounds are clean and for the equipment the staff have access to, are well maintained. It was a bit disturbing to see the staff cutting the grass around the main pool with a machete, and no safety gear. The main pool area is nice, but again needs maintenance. There is large section in the main pool where the tiles at the bottom of the pool are missing, and the tiles still in place are very sharp. Easy to cut your feet if you aren't careful. Around the pool area is nice, there are some shady spots, but no umbrellas whatsoever, only palm trees or trellis which are a bit limited. The swim up bar is nice and clean, with great staff (Tania and Rey).

We got up on our second day at the resort and stopped by the Concierge Suite to ask a few questions, and book our reservations for dinner. It's a bit odd, as we were told there were very limited seatings in the restaurants, however upon arriving at dinner each night, there was ample space, and a few nights were 1 of 4 couples in the whole restaurant. The A La Carte restaurants are fairly good, but the Beach Grill and the Caribe are the best. Food in Cuba is not at the level of other Islands, but the pork and seafood were good, so we stuck to that most evenings. Lunch is also ok as they had sandwiches and burger and fries at the Bistro and Beach Grill. I would have to say the Breakfast Buffet was the very underwhelming. The food was lukewarm, greasy, runny or not quite cooked. i have never been anywhere where I have been asked if i want my omelette well done or really well done. Be sure you tell them really well done, or you will have a runny omelette. I honestly dreaded breakfast every day. On the plus side, the bread and buns were great, always hot, fresh and very tasty.

The beach at this resort is amazing, and the best beach I ever been too. The sand is white, and water is clear blue where you can walk out a long way. Some days it was like glass as it was so calm most of the day. We spent a lot of time here. There are lots of palapas for shade and loungers available. A bit of warning, most of palapas have some wholes in them, so you may want to be a bit selective of the ones you choose. They don't seem to groom the beach much, as most of the palapas have a lot cigarette butts in the sand and debris that makes it tough for walking without sandals until the edge of the water. All in all though, that doesn't distract much from the caliber of the beach, truly awesome.

The entertainment at the resort was mostly better than we expected. The Latin evening, Michael Jackson night we really good, and the other was not bad. They definitely try very hard, and have a lot of talented people to work with. They did a lot of audience participation type of activities at the beginning of the night. The winners would get "pesos" that could be redeemed at one of the shops for gifts if you accumulated enough of them. What they don't tell you is that you have accumulate a lot of them, and you can only redeem at one location for key chains, hat, mugs or the best item a bottle of rum (which is in your room anyways). This really annoyed a lot of the guests, who were led to believe you could use them in the gift shops or for services and didn't find out until the last day when they went to redeem their "pesos", and found out not only couldn't they redeem them at any of the shops but when they went to the one place they could redeem them, they didn't have enough for anything anyways. This left them pretty angry and leaving on a sour note.

We did tip at the resort for anyone from maids who keep the rooms really clean, to the wait staff, to our bartenders. Most of the staff is absolutely awesome and work really hard to make your vacation a great one. There are a few though who do like to tell you what a great job they are doing for you, who always tell you they are bringing you a glass of water or coffee several times, but it doesn't actually ever show up. It's tough because when you look around Varadero, you know how much the tips mean to everyone but there are so many staff, you just can't tip everyone.

We had a nice time at the Royal Hicacos, but I will warn you that if you've been to other 5 stars in the Islands, you should definitely not expect the same standard here. It may be a 5 star in Cuba, but would only be a 3.5 star anywhere else. The beach and the staff could bring it up to a 4 star if the hotel ever finished construction, and completed some much needed maintenance on the pool, the buildings, and the grounds. If great food is a really important part of your vacation experience, then this is not the place for you. For the money, there are other islands and resorts that would better suit you.

Overall our experience in Cuba was mostly positive, until the very end of the trip upon arriving at the Varadero Airport. The airport is clean however once through security, it's a free-for-all of extortion and highway robbery. They were charging $3 for rum in the duty free shop, yet they were charging $7 for a small can of pringles and $6 dollars for can of cola. I also had the unfortunate experience of ladies room, where 3 staff extort money out of you for toilet paper, access to the sinks to wash your hands. If you succeed in dodging the first three cleaning staff, then the fourth one blocks the door so you have to give them the money in order to exit the exterior door of the washroom. We heard of another couple of people who were harassed to change their money by staff for Canadian to CUC even when they were told they had no money. There was someone coming around trying to have us fill out a survey about our experience at the airport, but of course they didn't hand out pens to help you complete them. My husband even told a few of the security personel that people were being extorted in the washrooms, but they did nothing. Was quite thrilled to get on the plane. Was a disappointing ending to our trip.

Room Tip: Concierge in building 24 near the beach, but further from the louder areas.
9 Thank ginger242
Sawbridgeworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2014

This was our first time in Cuba and we found the hotel lived up to expectations. The food was good, location perfect, the bar and all drinks served to the best Caribbean standard, the best beach in Varadero without doubt but I think this hotels crowning glory is its staff. Everyone from the Management, reception, bar, restaurants, domestics and gardeners are polite cheerful and cannot do enough for the guests. We are planning to return in April next year because the Cuban people are wonderful and this hotel is unbelievably good value for money - I almost don't want to post this because I want to keep it a secret!

Room Tip: I was told all rooms are the same 'Junior Garden Suites' apart from Presidential Suite and s...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Suzanne P
royalhicacos, Manager at Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear guests:

Thank you for your comments. It is important to know every experience our guests have with us!

Nothing makes us happier than reading that you have enjoyed your stay and that we could provide you with an unforgettable experience.

We still make a point to revise all of our departments regularly to ensure that our future comments will be exactly like yours. Our job is to make you happy and that is a full-time job! We love the name of your comment! Exceed expectations is what we do.

Thank you once again for sharing your comments with us dear guests, it is very much appreciated!

We look forward to welcoming you to Royal Hicacos, your wonderful hotel!
Dunnville, Canada
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Four stars because they are renovating currently - when it's completed I would probably give it 5.
The staff here is bending over backwards to make your stay perfect. I have never experienced such service. Called down for diet cokes instead of regular in the mini-bar fridge. 15 minutes later I had 2 diet cokes. 4 hours later coming back from the pool there were 2 more diet cokes and waters left and a phone call to make sure I didn't need more. Unbelievable.
This is my only Cuba all-inclusive experience and I was told the food is bland but our chefs must be different. The food was good and plenty of choices of hot sauce or spices if you wanted to add to the flavour.
The beach was incredible. The pool was good, not the best I've seen, but has an infinity entrance which I like to lay in when the sun gets so hot mid-afternoon.
Not as many games as I've seen elsewhere - perhaps intentional because it's adults only.
The room was huge- sitting area and king bed. The bed was comfortable.
Great bathroom, with beautiful spa-tub and separate door for toilet.
A/C worked great, room was always comfortable when we returned.
No free wifi here - even in the lobby you must buy a card for one hour - about $5 and the process of logging on and off is complicated. We only needed to check in with out kids a couple times and then check our outgoing flights but it was still an inconvenience.
4 A-La-Carte restaurants. The Beach Grill was the best. Surf and Turf while watching the sunset.
Great service by the bartenders, probably every hour or two they walk around the pool taking drink orders.
Used the fitness facility twice - everything was working.
Massage was fantastic - aromatherapy/swedish.
Lots of huts at the beach and plenty of chairs.
Manager thanked us as we boarded the departing shuttle bus. Nice touch.
I would stay at this resort again for sure.

Room Tip: We were assigned a ground floor room - easy access and loved it.
8 Thank yellowlabs
royalhicacos, Manager at Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear guests:

What a beautiful review thank you so much! We absolutely loved reading it!

We appreciate that you have enjoyed our service. We are all about reinventing customer care and nothing makes us prouder than to read that you could experience it first-hand!

And you are right, our executive chef is different! He is Mexican and always trying to reinvent himself! He loves to try new recipes and getting feedback from all of our guests to find the special ingredients that make your mouth water!

Thank you for mentioning all of our department and your opinion about them. Our entertainment activities are a bit different from other resorts as we are all about tranquility and peace of mind. Also, the WIFI is not included as it is a separate service that is offered from an outside provider. WIFI has only existed about a year in Cuba and they are still tweaking many details.

We very much appreciate your comments dear guests; they were a blast to read, thank you so much!

We look forward to welcoming you once again to Royal Hicacos, your unparalleled service hotel!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Varadero
Sanctuary at Grand Memories Varadero
#8 of 63 in Varadero
Royalton Cayo Santa Maria
Royalton Cayo Santa Maria
#1 of 15 in Cayo Santa Maria

Been to Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!