We travel to hot destinations 3 to 5 times per year and always stay at 4.5 or 5 star adults only resorts...in all this time, this was our first trip to Cuba. We booked 2.5 days before we left so got a smoking deal at $850. all in/person.
Absolutely loved Cuba, service truly was great with the majority of the staff more than willing to go out of their way for you - we consider ourselves fairly low maintenance travelers so we didn't have much use for the butler service. That said, Felix was awesome, he checked on us every day, booked our a la cartes and even got me a toothbrush (sealed wrapper) because I was stupid enough to forget mine at home. I'm sure that if we'd have required excursions or anything else, Felix would have been more than happy to make sure we were well taken care of.
It's true, the food isn't quite as good as other destinations, but we found it to be better than expected. I had an omelette and bacon/sausage everyday for breakfast and it's true - they do ask if you want it well done...I don't know about other cultures but I do like mine well done. I'm not sure about the omelette guy's name, but he was great and remembered me and what I wanted by day 3 - I did tip him more than once. We were never "hungry" at this resort and neither of us got sick, so that's a good thing.
Drinks and drink service was also great - no complaints.
The main reason we came here was to RELAX on the beach and in the water - we were not disappointed, this was the best beach we have ever been to. You can walk for what seems like forever and the water is absolutely gorgeous - to look at and to swim in. It would have been nice to see the palapa area more finely groomed - there are cigarette butts and other litter buried in the sand - as a smoker, I was ashamed :( - I did not contribute to the problem however.
The pool area is very nice, but they really do need shade - no umbrellas. This was a former Sandals resort and they are going through changes/renovations - we knew this before hand and it really didn't make a big difference to us in the big picture.
The room was spotlessly clean and cleaned very well every day, the rooms do have nice large terraces which is a big plus for those who like to sit outside their room - it was swept and kept clean daily also.
We loved the Royal Hicacos and hope to return soon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled within lush tropical gardens and just steps from the azure blue waters and powder white sand of Cuba's finest beach lies the award-winning Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa, an Adults Only Luxury All Inclusive Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Booking.com and Despegar.com so you can book your Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Royal Hicacos Varadero
- Sandals Cuba
- Sandals Royal Hicacos Resort Spa
- Royal Hicacos