“Fantastic Holiday”

Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed April 19, 2014

My wife and I just returned from Royal Hicacos.New management had just taken over,so not much has changed.Fortunately the core group of staff remains and that is among the best features.
Check in was smooth and quick.Bell boys Michel and "jackie Chan" were efficient and friendly.We chose 'concierge service' and find it well worth it.
Beach is amazing as always.Seemed cleaner that other years.
Food is great.Buffet is wonderful for breakfast and lunch.Osvany(egg station) is entertaining as in past years.Leonardo,and his co workers serve with pride.All a la cartes are good.Our favourite being El Caribe,Tatiana the captian and of course Pavel.I will say the bistro needs more staff as we waited 15 mins some days before we went eslewhere.
Lobby bar is nice,J.B. is so funny !!! I wish music would continue is the lobby and piano bars after the show begins,just a pet peeve of mine.
We hope the new management tweeks things but leaves Hicacos as we love it.As they say "dont fix what isnt broken".

1  Thank repeteLondon_ontario
royalhicacos, Manager at Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2014

Dear guests:

Thank you very much for your comments. It was a pleasure for us to read them.

Your satisfaction is our reason for living. Your comments are the ones who guide us to a better hotel and to a better service. We believe that there is always room for improvement so even if our clients are happy, we make a point to revise all of our departments regularly to ensure that it stays that way! Nothing makes us prouder than to read that you are definitely coming back sometime in the future!

Thank you for sharing your experience with us dear guests; we appreciate your comments!

We certainly look forward to welcoming you to Royal Hicacos, your diamond in the sun.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,537)

Reviewed April 18, 2014

I chose this place because I could easily walk to all locations. Some resorts are larger and use of a golf cart is more needed.
The food was okay. Could always find something to eat.
The beach and pool are perfect. The service is wonderful. The staff here makes a true effort to fulfill any need that may come up.
I met people that have come here a number of times, because they feel sure to enjoy their vacation.
I chose this place because it's an 18+ only resort.
I went with 4 sisters, a brother and a niece.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
royalhicacos, Manager at Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2014

Dear guest:

A family vacation! What a wonderful idea! It is now possible to do so since our new diamond is now 18+ and not Couples only anymore!

Thank you for sharing this experience with us! We are happy that families and friends can now tavel together and enjoy the Royal Hicacos experience! We are exceptionally proud of one comment you made in particular: ‘The staff here makes a true effort to fulfill any need that may come up.’ That’s it! That’s us! That is one of our main goals, and we are glad to see that it transpired in your experience.

We cannot thank you enough for sharing this experience with us dear guest; it gives us even more energy to continue giving you the best of the best!

We hope to welcome you back again to Royal Hicacos, your cozy, tropical and intimate resort!

Reviewed April 18, 2014

I don't really review trips and thought that this would be a great start as it is the easiest to review. We have been to Cuba at least 9 times. 3 times to Varadero. We stayed at this resort from 10 April to 17 April 2014. The resort is advertised as a 5 star resort. I had stayed at 5 star resorts in the past and they didn't live up to the rating. This resort does nothing but live up to the rating and then some.
The room
We stayed in room 1112 and it was immaculate with regard to cleanliness and comfort. It included a flat screen TV. By the way we didn't watch it much with so much to do on this resort. There was an IPod compatible alarm clock in the room as well which was very loud, The 4 post king sized bed was hard but comfortable and the sheets were very clean. The maid was the best and kept the room sparkling clean and the water guy kept the fridge fully stocked with water, beer and pop. The air conditioning was ice cold. It was very close to the main areas on this resort which included, lobby, lobby bar, main buffet and all of the a la cartes. It was maybe 2 minutes away from the splendid beach.
Speaking of the beach,
the sand was very white and the water was fantastic as a very greenish blue. You don't need water shoes in this water. The beach was very clean and there were tons of activities to choose from. The water was pretty rough, so activities were limited. This didn't deter many of us from diving into the big waves.
One pet peeve of mine was that people would lay their towels on beach chairs and then go back to the pool or buffet and not come back for hours. This is called hogging in Canada and is very ignorant. One big thing that I liked was that there were no beach vendors harassing you as you walked along the beach.
There is a beach bar located right off the beach. There are bar staff who will come by to your chair and take your drink order. This is a snack bar but the food is maybe a 3 out of 5. As well this bar doubles as an a la carte at night which is a 4 out of 5. I think maybe I didn't enjoy the meal like the rest of the a la cartes because of knowing this doubled as a daily snack bar. I like the a la cartes to be inside. Maybe it is just me.
The food
The rest of the a la cartes are great. Of course you can't please all and I heard one or two complaining about the sea food. The main buffet for breakfast, dinner and lunch has great tasting varieties of freshly prepared food to satisfy anyone's taste. I do believe that they match and beat some of the better restaurants in Canada for taste and display .My wife is a picky eater and had trouble choosing what to eat due to the plentiful abundance of great food choices. The food staff are very good at taking care of you and treat you like royalty.
Don't be cheap and try to sneak away without leaving a tip. One peso is a very cheap cost for great service. After all, you pay a 10 dollar tip in Canada for poor service and bad food at times.
The bars
The bar staff is very good at keeping the drinks coming. The tables are kept very clean and they are very professional and respectful. You won't wait very long for a drink to be served.
The cigar bar is a great spot to relax and enjoy premium drinks at no cost while enjoying a nice cigar. Carlos will take care of you fully and is very professional. By the way, premium drinks at this resort cost nothing.
Note: this is a couples resort and it ranges from young 20's to 60 plus couples. This isn't a resort for university frat style drinking games and stupidity. There are no prostitutes at this resort like many other resorts in Varadero. This is a mature resort that cater to those who work hard and need an escape from the daily hustle and bustle of the rat race. There is a British manager who gives this place the air of royalty from minute one on arriving until the last minute when you leave. He gives a formal quick briefing to you while his staff give you a hot towel to clean up after arriving while enjoying a cold glass of champagne. If you have any concerns, call 433 while there to speak to the PR staff, they work quickly to take care of any concerns you might have. Marian is particular as PR staff did an astounding job of taking care of us with the utmost professionalism and courtesy.
Sorry for being exhaustive but I thought more detail needed to be inputted in this review to give you a full account of the great food, service and drink at this resort. We will definitely be returning.
My wife and I would like to thank management and staff for this wonderful relaxing vacation. It was the best ever.

The Fitzpatricks

Room Tip: Choose a room in the 1100's. It is very close to everything.
4  Thank cinosam

Dear guests:

Wow, what a beautiful review! You are going to make us blush! We do not know how to thank you!

Your comments are very interesting and helpful. Rest assured that we have read them well and let them guide us to your favorite tastes and needs. Thank you for your comments about what Royal Hicacos is all about. We believe that informing our clients about who we really are is important in order to make the best choice of destination and resort. We are all about tranquility, peace and quiet. Exactly as you say: ‘This is a mature resort that cater to those who work hard and need an escape from the daily hustle and bustle of the rat race’. You have described us perfectly!

We have honestly very much appreciated your review dear guests. We are working on the menus of the beach grill as we speak, as well as on many other projects to ensure your full satisfaction.

We certainly hope to welcome you back again very soon to Royal Hicacos, your royal hotel!

Reviewed April 18, 2014

My husband and I, my sister and brother-in-law are just back from a week at Royal Hicacos Resort. We absolutely loved it! We found the layout of the buildings a bit confusing the first couple of days, but quickly got used to it. The employees are absolutely fantastic! They are this resort's most valuable resource for sure. I'd like to mention a few ... and I wish I knew more of their names, but from the airport we got on a bus with Joel as the guide. He was so friendly, knowledgeable, and funny! The restaurant staff was outstanding ... Andres, Leonardo and Guillermo(?) I believe. The food was excellent. We never had any problem finding something delicious to eat. We booked the a la carte restaurants the day after we arrived and managed to get into each one of the four. We would prefer a system like we've found in places such as the Dominican Republic where we just show up at one of these restaurants and if it's full, you're given a pager and they call you when a table is ready. However, such resorts may have more a la carte restaurants ... 7 or 8 ... unlike Royal Hicacos that only has 4. Nevertheless, we loved the main buffet restaurant for dinner on the nights that we didn't have a reservation for the a la carte restaurants. The entertainment was also extremely good in the restaurants ... the musicians at the El Caribe stand out with their Spanish guitars and beautiful voices ... the violinist at the main buffet restaurant. Also, we went to the nightly entertainment shows each and every night (except the last night we were there because it was pouring rain). These shows were absolutely the best we've ever seen at a resort, particularly the showgirls and the Michael Jackson nights. We also thought the beach is one of the best we've ever seen. We love to walk along the beach and this one is miles and miles long and very clean. There are a lot of broken seashells so for people with sensitive feet, bring along a pair of beach or sand shoes. The weather was amazing all week, so we stayed on the beach for rest and relaxation. We always had breakfast in the main buffet restaurant, except for one morning we went for breakfast at the Grill Restaurant right on the beach. This was very good but we preferred the buffet restaurant breakfast. However we had lunch at the Grill Restaurant every day and lunches were simple but good. It saved us from having to change out of our bathing suits to go to the buffet restaurant. I'll now outline a few of the negatives, which are the reasons why I've only rated the resort Good instead of Excellent. I know the resort has recently been sold and I understand renovations will be forthcoming, and that we will see improvements in the next few years. I would love to go back to see the changes in four or five years, and I plan to! Although we were really comfortable in our rooms, they really need ''refreshing'', i.e. new furniture, paint, etc. The exterior of the buildings need a fresh coat of paint. One of our big problems was that some of us had injuries, i.e. shin splint, bad knee and sore hip. We had rooms on the third floor and there are no elevators, therefore we had to climb many stairs to get to our rooms. We didn't know this .. if so, we would have asked for rooms on the first floor, or at the very least, on the second floor. There was only an elevator to get from the main floor to the buffet restaurant, and that was extremely slow. Another negative was that they would only put two cans of beer in the fridge every day. One day my husband called for four more. We were four people, and after a whole day at the beach, it would have been nice to have at least two per person. As this is an all-inclusive, we couldn't see why there was a problem in having the fridge always full of beer and soft drinks. However, there was always plenty of bottled water, which was very nice. The water from the faucet is also safe to drink but doesn't taste very good. We also didn't have washcloths, so next time, we'll bring our own. There were always plenty of towels though. A BIG negative for us was that there was only ONE toilet near the beach, situated in the Grill Restaurant, and it only had one toilet for women and one for men. There was usually a line-up of course! Other than that, we had to go back to our rooms, and that was a five minute walk and having to go all the way up to the third floor again! So ... all that to say ... if these points can be addressed (freshening up the rooms and exterior buildings, more elevators, more refreshments in the fridge and more toilets near the beach) ... I would give this resort an Excellent rating.

Corinne M

Room Tip: Depending on your physical abilities, choose a room on a lower floor.
2  Thank Corinne14

Dear guests:

Thank you for your comments! It is nice to hear that you will come back and visit us!

There are a few points that we would like to clear out and wish you would have mentioned while on vacation with us as they could have been taken care of right away:
1-Location of your room. It would have been our pleasure to give you a room on the first floor on the day of your arrival if we would have known it was your preference!
2-Replenishment of minibar: It would also have been our pleasure to put more been in the fridge for you! All you had to do was mention it! We do have a standard that we put it every day but it is quite flexible!

Now as for the bathroom on the beach, freshening up of rooms and exterior building (80% has been repainted in the last two months), it is coming very soon! All these projects are included in the renovation of our hotel which is planned to start on May 2nd! As you can see all the points you mention could have been or will be taken care of in the near future.

We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your vacation dear guests, next time around, please let us know exactly what you need and want. It will be our pleasure to offer it to you!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Royal Hicacos, your diamond in the sun!

Reviewed April 17, 2014

Had an amazing stay in the Royal Hicacos. Service is exceptionally good, the rooms are spacious and clean and the pool and beach are wonderful! Food is also great, sometimes even better at the buffet than at the a la carte restaurants. From a warm face towel and a glass of champagne at arrival to the take-away lunch at the day of departure I can only say that we felt very welcome at this beautiful resort! Def coming back some time in the future!

• Stayed: April 2014
5  Thank Sam7889

Dear guests:

Thank you for your comments! We loved reading them; they are so positive and happy!

Thank you for sharing your experience with us dear guests; it really was a pleasure to read you!

We certainly look forward to welcoming you to Royal Hicacos, your just beautiful hotel!

Reviewed April 17, 2014

This was not our first time to Cuba however it was our first to the Varadero region. What a great place the RH is. As others have reported the food the drinks, and the hotel are incredible but have a multi million dollar Reno planned in the near future, we can't wait to see what lies ahead. We were in building 7 which is behind the main reception area with a 3 minute walk to our room. We were on the second floor of a 3 floor walk up, which some days was easier than others to climb. If you have a problem navigating stairs ask for a main floor room.
We had an adapter in our room, as well as an umbrella, thank goodness we had no need to use the umbrella, but we did use the adapter often.
The pool is somewhat shallow for my liking, but that is my personal preference. It was laid out nicely and we never had a difficulty finding loungers, thanks to Lytasha's fiancé, :o).
The beach is the most beautiful beach ever. You can walk for miles, the sand is powder white and the sea was usually calm and the most gorgeous shade of blue, it was beautiful.
The staff at the buffet, went above and beyond in helping me celebrate my husband's birthday.

We are fairly well traveled and can say without a doubt, we will return to Royal Hicacos, where even first time visitors are made to feel like family.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
royalhicacos, Manager at Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Dear guests:

Thank you so much for your beautiful comments.

Nothing makes us happier than reading that you were satisfied with your vacation. Your happiness is the most important thing to us. If we can give you an unforgettable vacation, then our job is done. We do not stop there though, as we always continue to revise our procedure to ensure the best service and quality day in and day out.

We very much appreciate your comments dear guests, they are invaluable to us and we thank you for sharing them with us and our future guests.

We hope to welcome you back again to Royal Hicacos, your excellent resort!

Reviewed April 17, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I spent 11 days at this resort and had probably the best all inclusive holiday we've ever had.
It was so nice not to stay in a concrete tower. We loved the colonial feel to the resort with their low rise softly coloured buildings. The beach and pool area are gorgeous and the restaurants excellent.
But what make this resort shine is the staff from front desk staff to busboy/girl. Smiles and greetings abounded.
Special thanks go to Yinet at the front desk who was amazing. Her efficient, unflappable demeanour can handle any issue. Daisnel, our fantastic poolside waiter, full of energy and cheerfulness; Veronica, pool games, aqua exercise and fun Queen, and Michel who greeted us everyday at the buffet with humour and sincere warmness were part of making our stay so special.

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank Cheryl J

Dear guests:

What a touching review! We are speechless wow thank you so much!

A smile is so simple and free! We believe in using them endlessly to make your vacation the happiest it can be!

Your comfort is important to us. Your satisfaction is important to us. The fact that your needs are met is important to us. Nothing makes us prouder to read that we were able to meet your expectations.

We are very proud of our staff and we will make sure to pass the message along. Polishing our new diamond is much easier with all of them around!

Thank you so much for your comments dear guests, from the bottom of our hearts.

We certainly hope that you will come back and visit us again soon at Royal Hicacos, your elegant hotel.