“A wonderful Holiday”

Ranked #1 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Peterborough, Canada
“A wonderful Holiday”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

We just got back from this resort on April 9th. It was so much more than expected. Very clean, good food, wonderful friendly people. Say Hi to Mady in the buffet room for us. All were very helpful. The beach is beautiful. I would not hesitate to recommend this resort. Sherie and Jim.

2 Thank SherieD90
royalhicacos, Manager at Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Dear guests:

Thank you for your beautiful comments! It was such a pleasure to read you! We are so glad to hear that you have enjoyed every department of our hotel!

Your happiness is important to us. We guide ourselves by the level of satisfaction of our clients. It is so important to us to know that we exceed your expectations and we know we have done our job correctly when we read that you are coming back to visit us!

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us dear guests, thank you!

We look forward to welcoming you again to Royal Hicacos, your wonderful hotel!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (904)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed April 15, 2014

My Wife & I just returned from a two week vacation at the Royal Hicacos resort in Cuba. The resort was beautiful , well laid out with large clean rooms. We had an excellent view of the gardens. The reception, bar, restaurants, pool, beach facilities were all first class. The meals at all of the restaurants were excellent. The selections were great ( Hip-of-beef, fish, Baked Ham, Turkey, etc., etc.) and everything was done to perfection. Above all else the staff of the Royal Hicacos were exceptional, they were friendly, helpful, well trained, and in every case went out of their way to make our vacation memorable. I would definitely recommend this resort.

Wayne & Enid

Room Tip: Ask for a garden view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

4 Thank Wayne P
royalhicacos, Manager at Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Dear guests,

Thank you for your beautiful comments! Nothing makes us prouder than to read that you have enjoyed your vacation with us!

That is what we do here; go out of our way to make your vacation memorable. Why else would we be in this business? Our new diamond is getting polished as we speak and through making you happy, we are working hard on making it shine again!

We appreciate your wonderful comments dear guests, thank you for giving us your opinion; it means the world to us!

We certainly look forward to welcoming you again soon to Royal Hicacos, your best-vacation hotel!
Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We returned home from our 5th visit to Royal Hicacos on April 10,2014. We travelled with my brother & his wife(this was their 4th stay at this resort). We both agreed that this vacation was probably the best we have experienced there.....this is not to say that the other stays were not enjoyable but this time everything was exceptional from the food to the service to the staff to the grounds....absolutely everything was wonderful!! The staff at this resort is amazing!! We have made some wonderful relationships with some very special people. Thank-you to everyone there for making our 5th vacation with you so memorable!! We look forward to seeing everyone again next year!! Mucho gracias!!

5 Thank Anne W
Dear repeat guests:

What beautiful comments, thank you so much! And thank you for your confidence and trust! 5 times is amazing!

Your comments are invaluable to us. They are the ones who guide us through the path to your satisfaction. Our new management has just recently started polishing its new diamond (and what a diamond it is!) and we are absolutely overwhelmed with joy. As you mention, the staff of this hotel is what makes this place shine day in and day out, what luck we have to work with such talented and experienced people every day!

Some renovation works will be in progress during the summer and we will keep you updated as soon as we have the details. Lobby and Lobby bar will be starting on May 2nd finally! Through the process though, rest assured that our staff and management will be there to ensure that you experience the best vacation ever!

Thank you again, dear repeat guests for your wonderful comments. It is an honor to receive them from experience travelers like yourselves.

We are looking forward to your 6th visit to Royal Hicacos your diamond shining in the sun!
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed April 14, 2014

As most travellers to this hotel know, this was the "SANDALS" last year. It is now under new management (Memories Hotel Chain) and plans are to make it a "Royalton" the "Luxury" all inclusive resorts of the chain.

There are a few things that have changed, all for the better since our last 10 day visit (march 2013). The BEACH is the most notable improvement. It was clear that SANDALS had given up trying the last year of their "ownership". The beach was very dirty and littered, not now. The new management must have combed the beach with a fine sift filter, many, many times ! Virtually all the cigarette butts, empty plastic glasses and bottles have all but dissapeared. It was VERY clean during our stay.

This hotel had the reputation for having one of the best food and assortment on the island. There were some omissions (no palm hearts, artichokes, excellent grade Olive oil) but discussions with the Food and Beverage Manager indicated things would get better once all the supplier contacts etc had been approved by the different local and management authorites. We did not particularly like the "artificial" syrups used (especially the "Maple Syrup" which was FAR from what real Quebec maple syrup is all about BUT THAT IS A VERY MINOR POINT, which will be corrected I'm sure. The quality and choice of the meats ansd seafoods was exceptionnal. Fresh salmon every day ! Even at the SANDALS period, the depth of the seafood assortment and meat selection was not as extensive and of such quality. When you pay premium rates, you expect premium grades and quality; on that level, they came through.

The grounds have been really cleaned up. The gardener working in our section (Concierge Building) was doing an exceptional job of giving his area a real make-over and rejuvenation. It is very clean and colourful with flowers aplenty. Some of the buildings have been repainted and refreshed and work was ongoing when we left. The maid service was flawless and the room very clean, The AC functionned so well we had to use a blanket and turn off the ceiling ventilator !

What has kept us coming back to this resort (besides the weather :-) ) has been the people. I have travelled (probably not as much as some of the readers here) a lot, and nowhere do I believe there is such a warm human reception (except in Polynesia, but that's REALLY FAR). The staff really goes out of its way to please. They are mostly always smiling (eh, who doesn't have an off-day ??!), always polite and go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. Sure, as with any resort, there are sometimes situations. These people do their utmost to solve these issues rapidly and to the guests' satisfaction.

IF the new management keeps its commitments to improvements and maintains the personnel, they will do BETTER than SANDALS.

It is my wish they succeed, the people who were there BEFORE them and made this hotel so very special for most of us,deserve at least that !

Room Tip: Go for the concierge rooms . Much closer to the beach and restaurants. You must note that most of th...
9 Thank Daniel M
Dear repeat guests:

Is that bet we read? That you so much, your comments were very interesting to read!

As you mention, the Sandals chain left our new diamond exactly 1 year to this date in two days, and we were finally able to start polishing some three weeks ago. The Blue Diamond Resorts hotel chain owns other chains as well, Royalton being their 5-star luxury line. Royal Hicacos will eventually become a Royalton by October 2014, the second one followed by our pride and joy Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, which is currently the no. 1 best hotel in Cuba at the moment.

Thank you for noticing the first few changes that we are making. There are many more to come, but little by little as to interfere as little as we can with your important vacation time. And you are right, now that we are settling in, we will be able to expand greatly our offer of food and services and we are certain that you will be quite surprised by the choices we will offer you very soon (one of them being real Maple Syrup from Quebec)!

Your comments are very generous dear guests. Your opinion is so important to us, especially as a repeat guest who has so much experience traveling here. Who better to teach us their favorite things than you?

We look forward to welcoming you to your 6th visit to Royal Hicacos, your ever-returning hotel!
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed April 14, 2014

We stayed at the Royal Hicacos from March 29 - April 5 2014.

When we arrived at the airport in Cuba we were a little skeptical as we had a very odd encounter with a man there. This sort of made us weary about the vacation. However, it was absolutely beautiful there. Seeing the old cars and greenery we decided that the resort would be better; and we were right.

From the moment we arrived to the resort we were greeted warmly and were stunned by how beautiful it was. Everything is open and you have to walk outside to get to your room, which to me was amazing. Tony was the overnight bellman, and man can he work. He was incredibly friendly and gave us tips on what we should do and where we should go. Even though he was very busy, he kept a very welcoming smile on his face and he was quite funny. He started our wonderful vacation.

We arrived to the resort very early in the morning so we decided to go take a walk around the property. I was speechless, it was more than I was expecting. There are moats all around the property and very well maintained gardens everywhere, I especially loved all the little lizards. I really wish the mango trees and the banana trees were ripe... next time! Staff greeted us everywhere we went with a smile and hola. I was very happy that everyone was so welcoming.

I would like to say that I was pleasantly surprised at the food. I had heard not so great things about the food in Cuba, however that does not apply to this resort. Everything that I tried was great, there were a few things I didn't like, but if I had them in Canada I wouldn't have liked them either. People often complain about the "bland" flavor of things but then again I saw so many people go after the processed foods like fries and just shook my head as there were very fresh fruits and vegetables everywhere.
I love eggs... like love love eggs. I usually eat 3 eggs a day. So I trotted over to egg station not sure what to expect, and there was Osvany, the chef who prepares everything egg. This man was very kind and my goodness makes perfect eggs every single time. He remembered my order every morning, which was nice. I saw him on several occasions take 6-10 peoples orders and then just go to town. I have never seen someone so great with a grill and eggs, honestly I would just stand there and watch some days... He also manned the crepe section at lunch. He's seriously a machine, he works so hard and stays friendly all day 6 days a week. He deserves a medal.

We sat in several sections of the buffet and had good experiences, but none like Carlos' section! He's so funny and genuine. He was always on top of things. He would see me coming and take my plate of food back to my table for me so that I could go look at some of the other things. I would come back and he would remember the type of juice I liked in the morning and have a cafe con leche ready for the both of us. I honestly miss him very much. He made our trip amazing. We sat in his section every breakfast and lunch after we found him! I have never had such fantastic service from anyone in my whole life. I nearly cried when we had to say our goodbyes to him.

We tried all the restaurants at the resort, we are huge foodies. Our personal favorite for the a la carte was definitely Viejo Grill. It is Cuban cuisine and the restaurant is right on the beach... breath taking view. It's a little windy so bring a shawl ladies. I had the pork ribs and my fiance had the steak. We were both very impressed with the food and the amazing view of the sunset on the beach while ate. You have to try the soup everywhere that you go. Oh my goodness the soup is amazing here.

We spent a lot of time in the lobby bar. We didn't often sit at the tables because I liked to talk to the staff so we sat up at the bar most of the time. The staff are amazing there. They get very very busy at night. During the day I liked to just chat with them. Roberto always indulged me. This guy is very interesting to talk to and hilarious! He made me laugh so much. Every time I went in there I hoped he was working. He answered a lot of my stupid questions and taught me how to say things in Spanish that I ordered often.

On the third day we finally had our room serviced. We slept a lot the first two days so we just didn't want to be bothered. Vania was our room attendant. She was so sweet and kind, always smiling and asking if there was anything specific we wanted done. She cleaned our room so well! Like pristine! The towel art she does is incredible! Every time I came back to the room and saw it I was so amazed. I will likely request to be in a room that she services next time we return.

The beach... WOW. I had never been on a beach before. It took my breath away. The beach here is very well kept. Some sea shells but it's expected. It's HUGE! We walked down each way to check out some of the other beaches and the one at this resort is far superior to any of the others that we saw. The water was so warm and wonderful. I miss it terribly. There was always someone there who would move the chairs to where you wanted them, I preferred them near the water because it was a little breezier. Honestly take a walk on the beach at sunset, you will not regret it.

Our overall trip was amazing. We will definitely return when we come back to Cuba. I work in a hotel myself and have stayed at several hotels within Canada and I have never received service like I did here. All of the staff are genuine and kind, the property is well maintained and the food is great (if you go into Havana you will know the difference).
I came back to Canada with a new appreciation for life and just a sense of calm. I am looking forward to our next trip. There is so much to do, so many people to meet and tons of memories to be made.

Room Tip: We had a garden view room which was great! I would have liked to be a little closer to the beach and...
8 Thank Ashley S
Dear guests:

Wow! What a review! If the shoe fits they say, who better than you who works in a hotel to review a hotel!

We are so flattered and honored by your comments! We do not know where to start! Your satisfaction is our reason for living. Your comments are the ones who guide us to a better hotel.

We believe that there is always room for improvement so even if our clients are happy, we make a point to revise all of our departments regularly to ensure that it stays that way! We work tirelessly night and day to polish our beautiful new diamond and reading comments like yours gives us so much hope and energy, we do not know how to thank you!

You have given us a beautiful, wonderful gift with your comments dear guests, we appreciate it very much.

We hope to welcome you back again very soon for a second visit to Royal Hicacos, your best-ever hotel!
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Have just spent 10 amazing days at the Royal Hicacus and my husband and I could not fault this at all. We were made so welcome staff were amazing, room was lovely we had champagne on arrival. Food was not too fault drinks amazing especially the Chocolate Monkey...this is a must. Beach was beautiful no problem with beds for the pool or the beach plenty to go round.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Rachael B
royalhicacos, Manager at Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear guests:

Congratulations!! We are so proud that you choose us for such an important milestone in your life! We certainly hope that you will share some of your pictures with us! That is so romantic!!

Our main goal is to please you. If you are happy we are happy, it is as simple as that. We work hard night and day to surpass your expectations and once that is done, we continue to invent new ways to surprise and enlighten you!

Thank you so much for sharing your comments with us dear guests and congratulations again! We wish you many more years of happiness to come!

We look forward to welcoming you back for the second time at Royal Hicacos, your fabulous hotel!
Bragg Creek, Canada
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We will be arriving on Saturday for our 3rd visit and although our last visit was in 2012, I just had to comment on the fact that no other resort or location has had the pull that this place has had for us. I will give a more up to date review after our stay, but here are the things that we feel put this resort well above any other choices in Varadero:
- beach - white, beautiful, swimmable and outstanding. I especially appreciate the palapas given that I tend to fry rather than tan
- people/staff - I can't say enough about how great our past experiences have been with the staff at the resort and I am glad to see that many have stayed at Hicacos despite the management changes. They are genuine, sincere, professional and truly interested in making your stay perfect. And this goes all the way from the more senior staff to the security guys on the grounds and beach who must get very bored at times. We found that it all comes down to basic respect and a little bit of patience. We wouldn't be Canadian if we weren't patient! We are truly looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones
- the Concierge office and staff - wow, what can I say. The service and positive attitude from that office truly made our stays memorable
- ambience - maybe it's the adults only approach or just the overall effort of the resort, but we have never found a place with a better atmosphere - laid back, fun, friendly, courteous and relaxing. A week always seems like a month.

I could go on, but I will save that for an updated review.
We are very much looking forward to our return trip....and no snow!!

The Partlos

4 Thank PDP001
royalhicacos, Manager at Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 25, 2014
Dear guests:

Thank you for your beautiful comments! It was such a pleasure to read you!

We look forward to welcoming you again to Royal Hicacos, your ever-returning hotel!