We, a retired couple, stayed at the Royal Hicacos in December 2013 for one week. It was our second visit in about a year and a half. The good things about the hotel that remain are: adult only, great wide white beach, friendly staff who (unlike at other Cuban hotels we have stayed at) are willing to serve even if every single drink or service doesn't come with a tip. The food remains Cuban acceptable, with the usual Cuban limited selection of fresh fruit and vegetables and a tendency for meat to be a bit chewy. Service in the non-buffet restaurants was very good. Our room was identical to our previous one - large and clean with a comfortable bed. The air conditioning had trouble getting below 22C or so, possibly due to the fact that it is motion-sensor operated and shuts off when you are out or fast asleep. It is augmented by an overhead fan that - in our case - squeaked and groaned and woke us up at night. Despite numerous requests, it was only fixed for the last night. The property had sections under painting and renovation but might have looked a little more tired than in our last visit. The biggest disappointment was the entertainment. The last time there were great professional bands most nights. This time that was the case only on Friday nights and the rest were given to an in-house Tropicana-style troupe who performed too many tired variations of the the same thing night after night. We are not sure if this change was due to Sandals selling the property last summer, or just a general economizing. We heard that the owner of Sunwing Airlines was to take over in January and perhaps this will change the deficiencies. It was fine, but unless we were assured that things had improved, we would have to carefully consider returning.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled within lush tropical gardens and just steps from the azure blue waters and powder white sand of Cuba's finest beach lies the award-winning Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa, an Adults Only Luxury All Inclusive Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Cancelon, HotelsClick, TripOnline SA, TravelUp and Evoline ltd so you can book your Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Royal Hicacos Varadero
- Sandals Cuba
- Sandals Royal Hicacos Resort Spa
- Royal Hicacos