“good hotel”
Review of Melia Varadero

Melia Varadero
Ranked #6 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I have visited this hotel in January for 5 nights with a large group of friends (14). We liked the hotel,its is very large, a little ran down but still impressive, the rooms were decent, some better that others but at a good standard. We liked the food from the buffet, we always found something to eat. Compared to the Blau Varadero that I visited some time ago, I found the animation team to be much better, more animation done on the beach and by the pool, and the staff didn't seem so tired or bored as the other hotel. Some draw backs with the shows in the evening which were poor for a group of young people. The staff at the bars also worked hard and seemed outnumbered. Another drawback came from the other lunch restaurants(not the buffet), they were always out of something or getting ready to close up, or just not interested. Loved the Pina Coladas from the small bar near the pool. Also the beach is nice, not as nice as at the other hotel that I visited in the past but we still enjoyed it, if you do not find places near the hotel do not worry, there were plenty further away. If you go there to enjoy and have a good time you surely will!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ioana_rm
DIR-MELIA-VARADERO, Director General at Melia Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your great review and for the beautiful pictures. It would be a pleasure to welcome you again to our hotel and I remain at your entire disposal.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Ah Cuba! The fabulous Cuban people, the great service, the sheer paradise! We had a wonderful trip to Melia Varadero. I highly recommend this place. The property is great, the beach is gorgeous, the shows are fun and entertaining, and there is a good assortment of tours available. I recommend doing guided tours - it's so easy not to have to drive your own rental car. I have always found the tour guides excellent. I do no more than 1 tour per week, which in my case means 1 per trip - just enough to provide some variety and also to allow me to explore Cuba outside the resort complex.

We booked with Selloff Vacations (for the second time). The next time I travel, I will again book with Selloff Vacations. I have done very well with them. By the way, just my way of doing things, I don't bother with searching via internet on their website - I phone them and let one of their travel agents do the searching for me. I have found them to be honest. But that's your call - some people prefer to get on the web and search for themselves. I have been dealing with the Cambridge, Ontario office of Selloff Vacations, with a woman named Robin Lane.

I see someone mentioned the following and it's true: guys, bring long pants; in fact everyone should have at least 1 set of (somewhat) dressy clothes - it's a required dress code at the a la carte restaurants. BUT by the way, I prefer the buffet. Not everyone will share that opinion, but I prefer to eat at my own pace, and choose courses as the mood hits me. The food is very fine. I say "very fine" because the food in Cuba is not exactly the same as your expectations of Canadian and American food. I found the food very fine. So, in closing, I will repeat: taking into account the quality of the resort setting, facilities, cleanliness, entertainment, food, surroundings, service, beach, and available tours (and pricing of the tours), this place gets a positively EXCELLENT rating from me and my family. Cuba is fabulous, filled with it's own flavor and culture, all in a splendid tropical paradise, but Melia Varadero is especially wonderful.

Room Tip: If you really want a good ocean view, you may need to pay for that specifically in advance via the t...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank John K

Dear guest,
Great review! Thank you so much! It is nice to know that you have encountered our service, food and facilities completely satisfactory. We are already looking forward your next stay; you will be always welcome at MELIA Varadero.
Best regards,

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We had a great time at the hotel.
They do a great job of providing activities throughout the day, eg. water volleyball, kayaks, and of course the drinks. Aldo was our favourite from the entertainment team. He was funny and showed us how to dance like a Cuban.

Everyone kept saying the food was bad in Cuba but my wife and I though the food at the this resort was amazing.
It was no different than a buffet at a canadian wedding ( as a standard)

We would go back - here are some tips if you stay at this place:
1. Dont buy water from the hotel store - Las Americas next door has a grocery store for water a fraction of the price
2. Bring a fan, the A/C works but an extra little fan is better.
3. Bring baseball/sports gear to leave down there, the locals have a tough time finding good sports gear and they very much appreciate anything you give them.

Room Tip: No real tricks here, spend most of the time on the beach.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank SirSte R
DIR-MELIA-VARADERO, Director General at Melia Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear Guest,
it a pleasure to know that over all you spent a wonderful vacation in our resort, on behalf of all the staff I want to thank you. We will forward your nice comments to the staff, specially to Aldo. We are already looking forward your next stay , you will be always welcome at MELIA Varadero.

Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

travel agent had no idea and hotel website has nothing listed about a la cart dress code. i didnt plan on wearing pants so i had to go buy some at the mall next door. You NEED to wear pants to get into all the a la cart restaurants. Steak house was the best one, international not so good. buffet has tons of food but after 7 days its all the same food at breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Cafe is 24hrs...if u get a burger ask fir well done or you will get it medium rare. but the pizzas from the cafe are very good!

the saturday they had cuban day and they have a buffet by the pool with all traditional cuban food for lunch.

arrived at hotel at 10am room wasnt ready till 2:30pm.

absolutely nothing for children to do past 7 pm(activity wise). every night there was at least one screaming kid in the piano bar. Pool is only open from 9-7 and games room for kids is only open till 5:30pm...you can hit the beach if you want to swim late.

Had a great time but way too many kids running around in the evening.

great hotel, very clean and very friendly staff. No problems with any food, had 1 person on the beach in 7 days ask me for soap, clothes...

Tons of cuban music always playing throuout the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013
7  Thank Tony G
DIR-MELIA-VARADERO, Director General at Melia Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Dear Guest,
It´s so good to know that you had a great time in our resort. Your opinion is very important to us, as it always helps to improve our services. We will forward your suggestions regarding the food (International Rest.) to our Executive Chef. I do hope that you will decide to spend another wonderful vacation with us.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

I have been to Cuba many times and stayed at various hotels over the years. I had a wonderful time and stay. The resort was beautiful. At first I had hesitated to book in this hotel because I am a beach person and was uncertain about the the beach area, but after my stay I had absolutely no regrets. (Although must say the beach may be a little bit tricky for people with mobility issues), I was looking for a hotel that was not too too big and it was perfect for that. Needs some updating, which I believe is underway, the first floor was blocked due to work being done, common bathrooms around the lobby area really need updating but the room I stayed in was well kept and clean.

The food was great, it was very tasty with plenty of choices. The cooks oversee the buffet area and were very pleasant to converse with.
The reception staff were all very helpful and pleasant to deal with, we needed their assistance at various times due to small issues encountered with our room key and shower.
The animators work hard at entertaining the guests, a special thanks to Alex, Carlos and Aldo as well as the security guards who keep watch around the grounds.

Definitely going back to this hotel.

Cristina

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Cristina S
DIR-MELIA-VARADERO, Director General at Melia Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear Cristina,
Thanks for your comments, I´m glad you enjoyed our hotel and on behalf of all the staff I want to thank you, comments like these are our best price. You will be always welcome at MELIA Varadero.
Regards,

Reviewed August 11, 2013

This was my first visit to Cuba and feel lucky to have stayed at the Melia Veradero. The hotel itself is lovely with a beautiful atrium inside and a fantastic outdoor area, spectacular ocean views and short walk to the beach. I have only good things to say about the restaurants(both inside and outside the hotel) as well as the buffet. I was impressed with the variety and quality of food. (Cuba not have good food??...this hotel proves that wrong :) The pool area is fantastic...very pretty with lots of space and a perfect spot to enjoy relaxing in the sun. But, what really made this vacation memorable was the staff..their cheerful attitudes, smiles and friendliness. Whether meeting the maids or chatting with buffet/restaurant staff, all were lovely. But the big shout out goes to Aldo, Carlos, Felix, Hector and Delia(??SP) Their energy, enthusiasm and overall inclusive attitudes made the difference. I have already highly recommended your hotel to friends and family. I will be back!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank ABCCatherine
DIR-MELIA-VARADERO, Director General at Melia Varadero, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for posting your comments on Trip Advisor about our hotel.
I am very happy that you enjoyed everything in the hotel, especially the food and service and on behalf of MELIA Varadero we thank you for your nice comments about the staff and our services. I do hope that you will decide to spend another vacation here with us and we will be very glad to offer you another memorable stay
Francisco Silva

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Hello! I am 21 years old and from Canada, and this was my first trip to Cuba. I had a wonderful time at the Melia Varadero! The resort was beautiful and well maintained, the food was great, and the beach and views spectacular! I would also like to give a shout out to the staff I met who were lovely, Danali (sp?) who cleaned my room on the 3rd floor, Luis and Papito at the drink hut, Alexander on the beach, and especially security guard Yuan Carlo, I had a wonderful time meeting them all! I hope the hotel management lets them know when guests give them a shoutout on tripadvisor, because they truely made my vacation. I would love to come back sometime!
Sincerely, Andrea

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank unoriginalname89

Dear Andrea,
It was a memorable stay and also a beautiful review, I´m glad you really enjoyed your time with us, be sure that will forward your nice comments to the staff, specially to Danali, Luis, Papito, Alexander and Yuan Carlo. You will be always welcome at MELIA Varadero.
Best regards,