Stayed March 10-17th,2013. Hotel is definitely run down but then so is everything else in Cuba. Our room had no balcony but was clean. We were on 5th floor, room 503, no balcony. Even number rooms have balconies, odd numbers don't. Ask for an even number when checking in. Walked up stairs most times but both elevators worked fine all week. No bugs of any kind all week. We had hot water most of the time. Beds were comfortable for us but not plush. AC worked fine. Kept it on at night to circulate air and keep outside noise out. We did experience a gasoline smell a couple of mornings around 3am (kind of strong). We knew this ahead of time and brought a plug-in air freshener which took care of that. There is oil drilling close by so the smell must be coming from there. Other resorts smell it too so it's not only Sunbeach.
Staff are not the friendliest. Bartenders could smile more often. Food is OK but not great. Neither of us were sick. We never went hungry but we also never over ate. Lineups for the grill at breakfast and dinner. Lack of cups and glasses at meal times. Usually had to get your own drinks. Coffee not plentiful. Lineups at the snackbar too. The chef there could use a better system as it could take 15-20 minutes for a hamburger. That's a long time to be standing in line. We paid a cheap price ($540 each) and expected to eat out a few nights which we did.
We had entertainment every night. Dance troops, magician, Mr & Ms Sunbeach contest (a hoot!).
Pool was chilly but refreshing after a day at the beach. Beach is great! Beach staff will find you a chair if you ask. It may take 30 minutes but they'll get you one. Only one day for water activities due to winds. We took the kayak out. Others went snorkling on the catamaran. Beach bar is convenient but bring a big thermos mug. The little plastic glasses they use are useless but it saves them having to clean cups all day. The wind blows them around easily too. Beach is accross the street but it was never a problem. Only 1 minute from the resort. Traffic always stops as there is a pedestrian crossing right there. Georgie will give you a great massage at the beach.
We liked being on the main street. Just walk out your door and you see Cuba. Watching the local activities from our room was interesting.
We did Havana bus tour. Long bus trip for only a couple of hours in Havana. There are some local people who will give you a better tour. You need to ask around. There were no high pressure sales people anywhere. No beach vendors. Nobody in the street doing the hard sell speech. It was pleasantly different.
Overall we got exactly what we paid for. Inexpensive trip with low expectations. If we wanted more service and better food, we would have paid hundreds more to stay elsewhere. We didn't have any major complaints for the price. We tipped here and there but not every time. Judy cleaned our room and was pleasant (we tipped her everyday!).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Gran Caribe Sun Beach's Hotel is an inclusive hotel, 3 stars of category. Property of Gran Caribe's Company. An economic hotel located to the entrance of Varadero 80 m from the beach, beside the biggest commercial center of Artesany of the peninsula. 15 minutes from the airport of Varadero. Has 4 bars, 2 restaurants, comfortable rooms with hot water, air conditioning, activities and shows at night. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelsClick so you can book your Hotel Gran Caribe Sunbeach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bellevue Sunbeach Hotel Varadero
- Hotetur Sunbeach Hotel
- Resort All Inclusive Hotetur Sunbeach