“you get what you pay for! overall a good place to stay!”

Hotel Gran Caribe Sunbeach
Ranked #57 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“you get what you pay for! overall a good place to stay!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

first of all i want to state that all those people complainig about sunbeach are forgetting what they paid. this is not a five star hotel by all means! am pretty sure everyone who ends up at this hotel paid anywhere from 230 to 400 to stay here all inclusive for 7 days or more ! so you cant expect to be treated like a king for that kind of money! i have to say it was my first time in varadero! and me on the cheap side tought it was a good deal! me n my husband paid 870.00 canadian dollars to go there 7 days all inclusive! like really? thats flight, stay, food,clubs, and hotel entertainment! i had never paid that cheap for a vacation EVER! we speak spanish! so we had no trouble at all communicating with anyone at the hotel! anything we needed they were there for us! the bars are good, first night we were getting drunk w other tourists their pina coladas and cuba libres are amazing! i had them everyday!! also the hotel provides free tickets to get into havana club! everyday! so we did.. our first night there only 4 hrs into varadero and we were allready partying! on our way back to the hotel the bartender made us some late snack sandwiches! (ham n cheese) which at 4am they were amazing! ( the next morning my head was killing me , horrible hangover) and i had no tylenol nor advil! we headed for breakfast which by the way for all those ppl that complain we allways had something different , tasty , and filling! we allways had different dressing and sauces for our food. ive read people complain for this! but we had everything (ranch,caesar,vinnagrete,mayo,ketchup,mustand!) am not a sauce person but i guess theres people that cant live without this ! you are in another country for christ sake! our waiter was sweet and caring! she even suggested i take her tylenol pills ( which they were named completly different) she insisted as finding a pharmacy in varadero can be a challenge and expensive! as a lit pack of tyenol could cost u about 30 dollars! .... our maid on the other hand was also amazing! all we did ws live her little gifts in the side table! i had a lot of snacks i had taken in my luggage cuz i kept reading that ppl go hungry in cuba! and theres never proper food which i found that to be so (wrong) so i ended up giving them to the maid, things such as ... pretzels....lays....cheetos...gummy worms....twix... and pesos we had left. our room was allways spotless.... everytime we were done with breakfast we came back to a spotless room clean towels and bleach mopped floor! which yes it did smelled like bleach for a bit but i did not mind! ( if u are a clean freak u would know nothing cleans better and kills germs other than bleach) our entertainment at the hotel was the same as the bar in the corner! which if u missed the show from the night before we could see it again the next day at our hotel! the main entertainment guy reccomended us to el circo which is the huge club that looks like a circus! its amazing! there was actually a water party and everyone ended up getting wet after a long salsa night! .....the beach was great! we even slept in sometimes and watched some tv at night! this place is not bad! i have no complaints at all! yes am sure that if u have allways had it all in ur life than it would be a shooker to u the conditions of the surroundings but this hotel is just fine! i have no complains! it is a nice place, clean and i had not once had to get up and go buy food because i couldnt eat theirs! ( meanwhile at the beach i kept hearing ppl complain that even staying at a 4 1/2 star hotel the orange juice was horrible and they had nothing to drink for breakfast!! )) maybe it was just luck but this hotel has nothing wrong!! ppl are just to damn picky! if u want to be treated so special than dont go to a third world country! the only reason why ppl go to cuba so mucbh its because its cheap! well cheap doesnt allways mean better! me on the other hand i would go back to this hotel no questions asked! we even had restaurants and markets next to us.. so close that i would even walk on my own while my husband took a nap! on our last night the bartender at the pool gave us one of his big bongos to take with us... which i was wondering how i ws gonna take it home since it ws as big as my luggage but it was hand crafted with the cuban flag and i loved it! .... Bellevue sunbeach... ill be back :D.......

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Paola D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

omg do not go to this place.my wife and i stayed here for 2 weeks.we thought we got our selfs a real bargin.big mistake number 1.number 2 we should of read the reviews.the place is falling to bits we were on the 7th floor in 702.the room was fine and the maid did a great job,but the outside was crumbling away quiet scary to look at to.barman at pool bar ok and 1 waitres in buffet was ok the rest of them were rude.the food you wouldnt of fed it to your pets let alone humens.the smells that came from there was enough to mke you sick.this is not the first time weve been to cuba we got married in cuba last year so we knew the country.or so we thought russians are now the worst not the germans they every where and are rude intimidating.wots sader is that the cubans in varadero love them.restaurants are your best bet for some realy good food at realy cheap prices.if you want to see the best of cuba go to the cayos or playa pesscaio.the beech is the only good thing about this place.flew back on 11/10/2012.if you save just that little bit more you will get so much better.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank paul237

Travelers are raving about these Varadero hotels

Saint Catharines, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

I just came back from a week staying at Sunbeach. I must say I had no problem with this place. I expected to eat out, which I did (alot) however the staff was amazing, David the pool bartender amazing gentlemen, Alberto, the lifeguard also amazing. Hotel staff always polite. Will definately be staying again come January. See you then.. Thanks for the lemonade David!!

Room Tip: try and know a bit of Spanish
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Cathy M
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

I had a wonderful time there- no, it is not a five star by any means but it us clean and the staff were wonderful! I would go back again... It was close to great clubs - restaurants... The beach was fantastic too. It very close to the airport which I like... It gave you a taste of Cuban lifestyle instead of a resort that is simply for tourists - yep.. I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed September 2012
4 Thank sierrajojo
t
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

I had a great trip,Hotel was not the best but for $30 for seven days it was great
Staff very freindly , And most know some english.
beach was heaven on earth,
food not the greatest but I meet a friendly canadian family that brought , hot sauces
salad dressing and soya suace, and barbque sauces made it great
so pack you fixings.
This hotel has alot of Russian visitors so bring english= russian dic.
and you will have a great time with them , I made lots of russian friends
You are safe in cuba , and no cubain will bother you.
This hotel has free pass to havana night club at the front desk
just ask - its a great club
change your money at the airport for the best rates , $300- 1400
depending on what you plan to do .

every night they have a small show around 8.45 pm Some were great others were so-so

I can say I had a great time at sun beach.

John

Room Tip: 729 no balconey but big like new washroom
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank j s
Montréal
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Food: beyond bland, though some of it is traditional cuban, minus the usual spices
Restaurants: limited hours, don't oversleep!
Bars: no one knew how to make a drinkable Spanish Coffee!
Beds: we slept in two different rooms, so tried four beds/sets of pillows
The beds were ... probably OK if you're a skinny youngster. We're far from skinny and we're 66. I slept, but awoke often to try to find a comfortable place where the springs and boards below them didn't bother as much. I've had more restful nights in my recliner!
Service: excellent - towels changed daily; beds made daily; extra towels immediately upon request; fridge in room upon request (They call it a mini-bar, even though it's empty. I needed it to keep my insulin cold.) Big smiles from all the personel. However, it did take three nights of complaints about the shower leaking all over the wall before they finally unearthed a plumber, who fixed it in short order. (Broken pipe where the one attached to the shower-head connects to the one inside the wall.)
Will we stay there again? Not if I have any say in the decision, and never again in summer! (I told him summer was not the best time, despite the lower price! NOW he believes me.)
Beach and pool: One cannot cool off by entering the blood-warm water, only by getting wet and then finding a breezy, shady spot to let the water evaporate.
Airconditioner: We ran it non-stop and kept the room at about 22C. I never checked what it was outside, but it was bleeping hot!
Mosquitos: I saw one in our room, none outside, and - for a wonder! - did not get a single bite. :-)
Amenities: there was a single, unwrapped-but-new small bar of soap in the room. We were given two more upon request. No shampoo, no hair dryer, no tissue paper (though there was toilet paper - kinda rough), no iron, no washcloth.
Safe in room: NOT included; it cost 2CUC a night and was the smallest such I'd ever seen. It also works with a key, not a code you set for yourself. His camera only fit with the lens removed! I have no idea if things can be left at the front desk for safekeeping.
Power: all the outlets I saw in the room were clearly labeled as 110V. (No blown hair-trimmer this time.)
This was our third trip to Cuba and our first at Varadero. The food and comfort at the other two resorts was superior, even though they were located far from anything similar to a town. I got the distinct impression that one is expected to eat at the nearby restaurants rather than in the hotel's.
We stayed from the 9th through the 15th of September, 2012.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Qanknit
Heilbronn
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

After 11 hours of flying, imigration and 1 hours of car driving we finally ended up in the Sunbeach Hotel in Downtown Varadero. This hotel is far away from it's best times, no elevator was working and we had to pick up our luggage to the 8th floor. The room was ridiculously small and in very bad conditions, the air conditioner did not work at all.
Worst thing was a significant smell which is generated by oil industry located close to Varadero downtown.

After our roundtrip we came back the Varadero but more to the end of the peninsula --> If you want to enjoy some relaxing days you better pay a little more a go there.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple