“Great time at Varadero!”

Sol Sirenas Coral Resort
Ranked #35 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
“Great time at Varadero!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

We had a great time and really enjoy cuba and this hotel. The room was fantastic with sea views anf the kids really enloy. For families with kids great hotel!
The food at the restaurants really good and the animation team really take care of our sons. Also the mojotos they prepared were one of the best i try in cuba. Good experience and great time

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Fmcorbalan
Sol C, General Manager at Sol Sirenas Coral Resort, responded to this review, January 5, 2016

General Manage

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

A great place and an excellent team.

Everything was perfect an hotel to recomend at Varadero beach.

Fantastic price. Wonderfull people.

We taste all the flavour of Cuba. We will come back.

Hasta pronto amigos.

Room Tip: Fantastic beach location.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Francisco M

London, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

This trip marked my second time in Cuba. It was 2007 and I did not want to return. My first trip was a bit boring and i wasn't ready for the reality of what Cuba is. The resort was small and was far out in the peninsula. I was persuaded to return and looked at this place for 2 weeks. This second trip and resort made me love Cuba and want to return as often as my wallet would permit. I have since spent less money each time and stayed even closer or in the actual town of Varadero.

The grounds are large and the food was very good (much better than my first trip), and the pasta bar girl was really good at what she did (being a cook, I could tell that she cared).
They had whole fish everyday and lots of veggies. 3 a la cartes. They may have changed it since then but there was a french, italian, and cuban creole (criollo) restaurant. The criollo food solidified my love of actual cuban food, especially tostones.

I found the decor very pleasant, and even though i was pretty close to town, I enjoyed staying around the resort... no small feat. It was also close to club Rumba and the Internacional, so nightlife was no problem for a clubbing addict such as myself.

I was drunk half the time, and not in my room the other half, so i can't speak for the room decor or if it was moldy in the moist washroom in the tropical environment.

I found the service great in some places, and lacking in others. Good service: Liban and Madelaine from animacion, cuban restaurant, Pasta bar, and the wandering musicians
Bad service: The bar (sirenas side), Late night snack bar (coral side). I had no issues and on the whole really liked all the staff I encountered.

Judging by some people's pictures, I have other information that might sway their opinion not to come.... SOME THINGS ARE IN DISREPAIR OR EMPTIED DURING NON-PEAK TIMES!!!!! The following is a list of things i will let you know so you don't have to waste your time taking a picture and posting it: One pool wasn't used anymore (a square one), there may or may not be a broken fence somewhere on the resort, water not evident in hot tub (coral side), and the archery range is not operational.

All in all, i love the resort and would return often but for the fact that my new crush is Villa la Mar, right in the center of town (personal preference for location).

Room Tip: smile at the staff and say "que bola (b is almost a silent v/h)", and be nice to the staff...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Zambuccadnezzar_III

Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Because this was my first trip to Cuba, I did a lot of research before I went. I'm glad I did. I was not surprised by the shortages in the country because I understood why and how it affected the resorts. The food was good but at the buffet, I used my knowledge as a cook to combine what was available and make a great meal. I loved the people. Cubans do so much with what they have. They are friendly, intelligent, clean and healthy. The resort does need maintenance/repairs but again I blame the shortages. I found the staff at the resort to be very helpful.
We toured Varadero on foot, by bus and cab. Ate off the resort several times. Shopped. Talked to so many folks and learned so much. Tours to Havanna and other places can be arranged right at the resort and were so much fun. I can't say enough about the beach. Beautiful! And I live on the ocean in Nova Scotia.
If you are looking for a 4-5 star experience by Canadian standards, stay home. Cuba is an adventure if you want it to be. Or, a relaxed, enjoyable vacation. It's what you make it.
Would I go again? Definitely!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Carolyn T

Fredericton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

Nine of us traveled to Sol Sirenas for the seven days (which included two 10 year olds) I have rated the resort as high as I have because of the overall experience that we had. The day we arrived we had an early arrival we were told that we could not check in until 4pm we had asked for the Sirenas side (based on reading previous reviews) and we also asked to all be on the same floor. Osvaldo helped us store our luggage in a safe spot and we enjoyed the afternoon enjoying the resort. Upon returning at 4pm we were told our rooms were ready and that we were all on the same floor and on the Sirenas side, Osvaldo helped a great deal getting us all situated into our rooms with all our luggage. The next day a member of our group had discovered that they were missing a bag with very important medication they asked the assistance of Ricardo in customer service to help locate it and we all agree that he was very helpful not only for this situation (it was eventually found in one of our rooms) but there was also a couple of other matters that we asked him about and he looked after for us almost immediately. The first three days we had all rain which you cannot blame the Cubans for the weather is what it is and you have to make the best of a bad situation. The entertainment team including Pedro Luis Animacion kept us entertained inside as best they could. The 4th day the sun came out thank goodness. We were able to enjoy the beach which was very clean and relaxing. The bar was conveniently placed close to the beach (they did run out of beer one day but you have to remember when you go to a different country everything runs on Cuban time). We all agree the resort (Sirenas side) was small but we thought it was great for the two 10 year old's we were able to give them a bit of freedom and we felt very safe because of the size of the resort and also because of the staff.

-Rooms very basic and clean but you do not spend allot of time in your rooms so they were suitable for all of us
-Food there was always something to eat and lots of food along with lots of variety. All the dining staff were all helpful and friendly I did have some names but have lost them on my travels home.
-Bar staff all treated us very well Rascon in the lobby bar always made me extra Cappuccino he always made sure all of our drinks were replenished in a timely manner. Ricardo in the lobby bar at night time always looked after all of us well and made sure we did not have to wait.
-Entertainment staff especially Pedro Luis Animacion were always friendly and looked after all of us very well. The evening shows are run by the entertainment staff and are well worth taking in on the Coral side of the resort
-I rated the resort as high as I did not because the resort itself is highly rated but because the staff makes the vacation all worth it. I have traveled many places in the Caribbean and this is one of the best spots on my list

Room Tip: Sirenas side was quiet I had room 7489 and the view of the sunrise was amazing.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Linda D

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

An older hotel which is very clean and the staff, Osmel, Yanetsy and Amado in particular are extemely nice and accommodating. Was there for two weeks with my father and we had a great time. There was paella everyday at the beach bar/outside grill(on the Sirenas side) which was delicious and extremely good(got the recipe the chef was very nice).
Loved the hotel(Sirenas side) would go again for the employees.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Isabel B
SirenasCoral, Resident Manager at Sol Sirenas Coral Resort, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Thanks for your comments on Trip Advisor. The satisfaction of our clients is our first priority and it is a big pleasure for us to know that you have enjoyed your vacations in our resort. We hope you repeat your visit soon.
Thunder Bay
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Good value, as expected food and accomadation not up to North American standards. However between Sol Sirenas and Sol Sirenas Coral, a good selection of meals, just keep trying different locations. One supper ( you have to pre book) but free was a choice of Mexican, Italion of Chinese. We chose the chinese one nite and were very pleased.seated and served at your table. While everything was inclusive, it was a shame the waste of food as so many took too much. Beaches excellent. Trip to Havana (escorted tour) very interesting day trip. $61 pp. Sunwing tours direct from Thunder Bay to Varadero ,non stop.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 4 th floor in Sirenas not Sirenas Coral. which was much quieter. We had asked for...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ThunderBaySnows
Thanks you very much for your comments on Trip Advisor and for prefer our hotel like a destiny of your vacations. We have a staff very consecrated and dedicated with their work and review like yours is the best gift we can receive. We hope see you soon in our resort.