“first visit, will go again”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Sol Sirenas Coral Resort
Ranked #36 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Because this was my first trip to Cuba, I did a lot of research before I went. I'm glad I did. I was not surprised by the shortages in the country because I understood why and how it affected the resorts. The food was good but at the buffet, I used my knowledge as a cook to combine what was available and make a great meal. I loved the people. Cubans do so much with what they have. They are friendly, intelligent, clean and healthy. The resort does need maintenance/repairs but again I blame the shortages. I found the staff at the resort to be very helpful.
We toured Varadero on foot, by bus and cab. Ate off the resort several times. Shopped. Talked to so many folks and learned so much. Tours to Havanna and other places can be arranged right at the resort and were so much fun. I can't say enough about the beach. Beautiful! And I live on the ocean in Nova Scotia.
If you are looking for a 4-5 star experience by Canadian standards, stay home. Cuba is an adventure if you want it to be. Or, a relaxed, enjoyable vacation. It's what you make it.
Would I go again? Definitely!

7  Thank Carolyn T
Sol C, General Manager at Sol Sirenas Coral Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2016

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your good comments. That is why our staff works for.
We keep working every day to give all our best to our dear guest.
We hope you can come back to Sol Sirenas Coral again.

Cordially.
Lati Naimi

Write a ReviewReviews (5,203)

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Nine of us traveled to Sol Sirenas for the seven days (which included two 10 year olds) I have rated the resort as high as I have because of the overall experience that we had. The day we arrived we had an early arrival we were told that we could not check in until 4pm we had asked for the Sirenas side (based on reading previous reviews) and we also asked to all be on the same floor. Osvaldo helped us store our luggage in a safe spot and we enjoyed the afternoon enjoying the resort. Upon returning at 4pm we were told our rooms were ready and that we were all on the same floor and on the Sirenas side, Osvaldo helped a great deal getting us all situated into our rooms with all our luggage. The next day a member of our group had discovered that they were missing a bag with very important medication they asked the assistance of Ricardo in customer service to help locate it and we all agree that he was very helpful not only for this situation (it was eventually found in one of our rooms) but there was also a couple of other matters that we asked him about and he looked after for us almost immediately. The first three days we had all rain which you cannot blame the Cubans for the weather is what it is and you have to make the best of a bad situation. The entertainment team including Pedro Luis Animacion kept us entertained inside as best they could. The 4th day the sun came out thank goodness. We were able to enjoy the beach which was very clean and relaxing. The bar was conveniently placed close to the beach (they did run out of beer one day but you have to remember when you go to a different country everything runs on Cuban time). We all agree the resort (Sirenas side) was small but we thought it was great for the two 10 year old's we were able to give them a bit of freedom and we felt very safe because of the size of the resort and also because of the staff.

-Rooms very basic and clean but you do not spend allot of time in your rooms so they were suitable for all of us
-Food there was always something to eat and lots of food along with lots of variety. All the dining staff were all helpful and friendly I did have some names but have lost them on my travels home.
-Bar staff all treated us very well Rascon in the lobby bar always made me extra Cappuccino he always made sure all of our drinks were replenished in a timely manner. Ricardo in the lobby bar at night time always looked after all of us well and made sure we did not have to wait.
-Entertainment staff especially Pedro Luis Animacion were always friendly and looked after all of us very well. The evening shows are run by the entertainment staff and are well worth taking in on the Coral side of the resort
-I rated the resort as high as I did not because the resort itself is highly rated but because the staff makes the vacation all worth it. I have traveled many places in the Caribbean and this is one of the best spots on my list

Room Tip: Sirenas side was quiet I had room 7489 and the view of the sunrise was amazing.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank Linda D

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your good comments. That is why our staff works for.
We keep working every day to give all our best to our dear guest.
We hope you can come back to Sol Sirenas Coral again.

Cordially.
Lati Naimi

Reviewed March 14, 2013

An older hotel which is very clean and the staff, Osmel, Yanetsy and Amado in particular are extemely nice and accommodating. Was there for two weeks with my father and we had a great time. There was paella everyday at the beach bar/outside grill(on the Sirenas side) which was delicious and extremely good(got the recipe the chef was very nice).
Loved the hotel(Sirenas side) would go again for the employees.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Isabel B
SirenasCoral, Resident Manager at Sol Sirenas Coral Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

Thanks for your comments on Trip Advisor. The satisfaction of our clients is our first priority and it is a big pleasure for us to know that you have enjoyed your vacations in our resort. We hope you repeat your visit soon.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Good value, as expected food and accomadation not up to North American standards. However between Sol Sirenas and Sol Sirenas Coral, a good selection of meals, just keep trying different locations. One supper ( you have to pre book) but free was a choice of Mexican, Italion of Chinese. We chose the chinese one nite and were very pleased.seated and served at your table. While everything was inclusive, it was a shame the waste of food as so many took too much. Beaches excellent. Trip to Havana (escorted tour) very interesting day trip. $61 pp. Sunwing tours direct from Thunder Bay to Varadero ,non stop.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 4 th floor in Sirenas not Sirenas Coral. which was much quieter. We had asked for...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ThunderBaySnows

Thanks you very much for your comments on Trip Advisor and for prefer our hotel like a destiny of your vacations. We have a staff very consecrated and dedicated with their work and review like yours is the best gift we can receive. We hope see you soon in our resort.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Honestly, book elsewhere or just stay at home.
I'm ashamed to say we booked in on 25th February for 2 weeks. We lasted 2 whole days amazingly.
Rooms are scummy at best. Even all the sofas in the reception area are filthy, ripped and torn. Take a look behind the cushions if you don't believe me.
We arrived to this hotel very late on Monday evening and all we wanted to do was sleep. We had to move to another room within minutes of getting our door card. Firstly, as soon as we opened the room door the aircon was dripping straight into the bin that is used for your used toilet paper (so the staff/cleaners knew there was a problem as this bin was strategically placed to catch all the water and still booked us into it!)
In the bathroom the toilet seat wasn't secure at all and the taps on the sink were rocking around!! I Was actually too scared to look behind the curtain that was pulled across the bath so I have no idea. Now onto the beds. Damp and smelly. No way was I staying in this room any longer. So off we go back down to reception with our luggage asking for another room.
We got another room that was slightly better than the previous dive.
We were happy with the bed in this room and decided we could actually sleep on it so on that first night, that's what we did. Woke up Tuesday morning and checked out the bathroom. Bath was un-useable based on there being no plug for it. It wasn't the cleanest looking bath either. Shower head was absolutely manky!! It's not been cleaned for quite a while judging by the blackness of the water holes in it. Also the plughole for both the bath and the sink was full of other peoples' gunk- again, absolutely filthy and not been cleaned out for God knows how long, if ever! Bathroom floor tiles and wall tiles were gross and the grout was a lovely tinge of browny orange from years of zero maintenence, which basically sums up the whole room and in fact the whole resort. Oh yeah, we had no hot water either. When we requested hot water to the receptionist, apparently the maintenence man (ahem..cough.. splutter!) had been whilst we were having our COLD food for breakfast and sorted it for us. We had what I'd call luke warm water at best and I'm probably being generous in saying it was that temperature.
NOBODY HERE WAS HAPPY- NOT EVEN THE (ignorant) STAFF!!
We had no eye contact at any point from any of the staff. No "Hola" -nothing. We were ignored so often I'd even forgotton why I bothered going on holiday in the first place. Bar staff would have full blown conversations amongst themselves and would completely ignore their guests!!! Seriously we waited on average 5 minutes to be served drinks and on more than a dozen occasions we were the only 2 at the bar! Don't bother asking for a mojito- there's never any mint leaves. There was another cocktail I'd asked for that needed lemon juice and I couldn't have it because there was no lemon juice. Oh and if you wanted milk for the breakfast cereals, you'd have had to resort to getting it from the coffee vending machines as there was none anywhere!!! What do you think of that??
I can honestly say this is the most unhappiest resort I've ever encountered with the most unhappiest guests and unhappiest staff. I would NEVER stay here again even if my life depended on it. Only a complete idiot would find this place acceptable. The whole resort , Coral side or Sirenas side is vile, inside and out. There's absolutely nothing positive to say about anything. Nothing at all here has been maintained. Not even the customer service. This place needs a complete, MASSIVE overhaul- I'd hate to estimate the cost because it's a big resort. I do have photos to back up my claims and will add them in a day or 2.

Ultimately and thankfully we booked out first thing on Thursday morning and went to the Iberostar Tainos. WOW! Beautiful people with beautiful personalities. Our holiday started that day.....

7  Thank happygoluckyuk66
Coral_Sirenas, Director of Sales at Sol Sirenas Coral Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear
We are very sorry for your bad comments. Our team of workers strives hard to get customers to leave the installation satisfied, it is a pity not having met our goal. We hope you choose again for Sol Melia. Have a good day

Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed at the resort from February 28-March 7 2013. First two days it rained and was cold. So the resort kept the tourists entertained by doing things inside the main lobby. When the weather finally got nice two days later, there was not much for music playing. One would expect from before noon till before dinner, music and entertainment. Not much for either. Very quiet resort. Night life was quiet too. The disco is not on the resort so most time you spend the evening at the show then to the lobby bar till 11 when they shut down then you had to go to the coral side snack bar to drink and eat. We did not we usually went to bed. The third day there because of all the rain we recieved there was a flood on the third floor, we were in room 7460 on the fourth floor Oceanview, I highly recommend...All other rooms you are lower and all you see is tree tops. But the third floor flooded and they did nothing for a whole day. The second day of flooding they finally put a bucket, but once it was full they did not empty it. Rooms were kept clean, food was good for cuba, resort was kept clean, hot water was plentiful, beach was beautiful. I would not go back to that resort or Varadero. I have been to Holguin and Cayo Coco and I would recommend Holguin over all the other places. More to do and see.

Room Tip: 7460 Oceanview, we had met some people who were lower levels and they wish they had oceanview, All y...

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed at the Sol Sirenis Coral in Varadero the first week of March. It was our second and last trip to Cuba. Please do not waste your hard earned money! It blows my mind that anyone would actually have a lot good to say about this place. This was a horrible experience for myself and my fiance. On arrival we asked for an upgrade becaue a lot of the reviews on here suggest it. So we paid an addtional 89.00 Canadian to get an oceanview room. The elevator ride was our first clue this place was a dump. Lights burned out and filthy dirty. The rooms on the coral side or very outdated, shower horrible and beds quite uncomfortable. So we decided to make the best of the trip as we were there for the week.

The food is practically inedible. ALWAYS cold and same things every day-no taste. I ate mostly bread, rolls, toast and cheese and some salad but the often had cabbage in lieu of lettuce. It seemed like most people ate bread and cheese as the toaster even broke down the sixth day we were there. We tried the buffet at the Sirenis side as again we were told that side was better. We did not find this. Service was bad for the most part. In fact, one AM at breakfast the waiter asked me if I wanted anything and I asked for a coffee. He told me it was too busy and he could only get me water to which I said "forget it" as I was so angry and we left. The only half decent food on the "resort" is the snack bar on the coral side as you can get freshly cooked fries and burgers, and hot dogs-if they have them-some days they did not.
My fiance saw the chef flick a cockroach off one of the plates in the buffet and he put it back on the stack!! We also saw one dead on the floor as we walked in for dinner one evening.
The main lobby bar bathrooms at the Sirenis side did not have toilet seats and the Coral side bathrooms were better but still not good. The general condition of the resort is just plain poor and not maintained -the doors to the rooms were almost falling apart.The bathrooms were quite outdated and the decor was comical...I know it is Cuba, but this was beyond.

The only thing remotely worthy of praise was the beach. However if you like to snorkel, you have to take a Catamaran off shore as there is nothing right off the beach. We found the water cold but not sure if this was just a colder year on Cuba. No rocks-very sandy, so great for swimming and water very clear. The only drawback for that security roamed the beaches all day-we even saw one of the younger guards groping and kissing one of the female guests-she was a willing participant, but really tasteless behavior for a resort staff.

If you like to just drink and party then you may not mind all of the other bad things but I felt bad for the parents there with young children. If it is supposed to be a family resort, then they better get their act togther or don't allow anyone under 16 to stay. They let spring breakers play unedited very loud gangster rap at the main pool every afternoon-didn't bother me too much but would be really ticked off if I had kids with me.

If you want to sleep do not stay on the ocean side. We were awoken for 3 nights straight with partying and all out hollering at 2 AM until my fiance had to get dressed and go downstairs to complain as they would not answer the phone. He was told that security would look after it but they did not. They did agree to move us the next day and we relocated to the other side and did find it a lot more quiet.
So, we will not go back to Cuba-both our trips there were terrible. The Mayan Riviera in Mexico will now always be our place to go-always had a wonderful vacation ALL 5 times we have been there.

Please take this as a legitimate warning and do not go to this resort

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple