“Great resort for the price.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sol Sirenas Coral Resort

Sol Sirenas Coral Resort
Ranked #36 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Toronto, Canada
“Great resort for the price.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

My friends and I got an all inclusive through west jet for under $700 so the holiday was a steal for us. The resort has its pros and cons.

Pros
Very friendly staff and accomodating
Great daily night show - very entertaining
Tour desks provided at the lobby
3 a la carte restaurants at the resort (mexican, chinese & italian)

Cons
Rooms were very basic and some very old looking (you should expect this for Cuba)
No internet (typical of most cuban resorts) and even when you pay the 10 CUC (1 hr) for an internet card, you have to use their computer and it took about 15-20 minutes for me to successfully open up my inbox and send a short email.

It is an all inclusive so drinks and food was of average quality. The selection on some days were better than others. By day 7 I started to get sick of eating the same thing over and over as the food offered was quite similar. Lots of things to do, the beach is about a 2 minute walk away. Note: in Varadero the resorts are located along the peninsula so most resorts will have the beach as their 'backyard' so to speak. At the beach you can rent kayaks for free and book to be taken out to sea on a catamaran, this is all complimentary to hotel guests which was very nice.

I have to say, I really love cuba. The people, the atmosphere, the gorgeous colour of the water. Everyone is very hospitable, seemed content and were happy to help. It is a real getaway from the fast paced world and you feel like you are in isolation, but in a good way. Definitely recommend this holiday, resort and Cuba overall. Travelled from Canada and you really can't go past the price with the all inclusive. One of the greatest value for money vacations I've been on.

P.S remember to tip, these people make very low wages.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank melain L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Montreal, Quebec
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

My family and friends stayed at the Coral side of this hotel over Christmas.The beach is beautiful as are the pools. The grounds are spectacular. The rooms are a bit dated but comfortable. We always had hot water, clean sheets and towels and as much bottled water as we wanted.

We never count on great Cuban food but the food here wasn't bad. Lots of variety and great desserts. The dinner on Christmas eve was great and the a la cartes were as well. We celebrated a birthday while there and the staff supplied the cake and a band to serenade while we ate. After 6 trips to Cuba we agreed that this resort had the best food.The wait staff - especially Carlos and his fellow lady waitresses on the Sirenus side are exceptional so we usually ate there. There is a 24 hour snack bar on the Coral side.

I can't say enough about the young man at the check in desk at the Coral - Hector. He remembered the grandchildren's names 5 days after checking us in, entertained them with a little history of the hotel and even met us the day we left to give them a little souvenir. What a nice, genuine man.

The beach was lovely and never crowded. We were surprised on Christmas day to be greeted by a camel on the beach. Everyone had the opportunity to sit atop and take pictures. A few steps from the beach there is a chef who makes a huge pan of paella, pasta and fish soup every day at noon so you never HAVE to leave the beach when you are hungry. Mercedes at the beach bar is lovely. The staff who entertain the kids were fun.

We spent Christmas 2011 at a resort in Santa Clara and were not impressed so this resort was a very pleasant surprise. Thanks to everyone who made this vacation pleasant.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the Sirenas side if you have mobility issues as there are several tiers of little...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank snowwalker
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

Everything was amazing: the food, the people, the resort, the shows, the animacion team, like Pedro Luis, who was always welcoming guests, really entertaining everyone, so kind and energetic!!!! The Animacion was one of the best group of entertainers that I ever met and saw! There were games, dancing and sports everyday in the morning, so there was always something to do if you wanted to participate. Plus this resort has two hotels, so you can go to both sides for food, entertainment and other activities (You technically have two hotels/resorts for the price of one). As well, there were live bands during the day and in the evening and also, music playing by the pool and the beach. I highly recommend this resort because I had an amazing time and didn't want to go back home :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sol C, General Manager at Sol Sirenas Coral Resort, responded to this review, January 5, 2016
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your good comments. That is why our staff works for.
We keep working every day to give all our best to our dear guest.
We hope you can come back to Sol Sirenas Coral again.

Cordially.
Lati Naimi
Saskatchewan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

We returned today from our first trip to Cuba staying at the Sol Sirenas Coral. This was booked as a last minute trip and we got a decent price ($1000 all in through Sunwing). I'll start by saying we had a great trip and truely enjoyed our time but it was not without a few bumps. Our previous travel experiences with all inclusive beach resorts is limited to a 4+ star resorts in the Mayan Rivieria in Mexico. We understood going in that this wasn't going to be the same type of holiday and parts of it really weren't. This resort was probably very nice when it first opened but it is showing it's age. I was pleased to receive a very quick response to my email requesting a quiet, private room a few days before we left. When we checked into our room 7264 on the Sirenas side I was very disappointed. Our room was directly over the lobby bar and the balcony opened to the pool and buffet which meant we got both the late night noise and the morning noise. It had twin beds and it was in rough shape. Simple things like no baseboards and a generally run down appearance. The door barely closed and was almost impossible to lock. The tv color was all off kilter. The bedding is really old and not very clean. In fact the room itself was not very clean, nor was much of the resort. We did not have hot water or even warmish water for the first two days. None of the dishes ever seemed very clean and I watched the bartenders rinse the cups in water and reuse them every night. Was the water even warm - I doubt it... I also watched someone 'wash' silverware in the lobby bathroom sink. When I say wash I mean rinse with just her hands under the running water and then wrap them in a paper towel from the dispenser, set them on the bathroom counter and use the facilities. Did I mention that there are no toilet seats in the Sirenas lobby bathroom?
We were able to move to a quieter room on our fourth night. It was a similar room but in much better repair with a king size bed. The door did not have a deadbolt at all. Our bedding was not changed and the blanket that we used from the closet was old, stained and dirty.
While we were able to find lots to eat - there is a good variety- the food was never warm unless you used the grill stations. It also bothered me to watch the birds flying around the buffet pecking at the food. I will admit to being a bit grossed out.
I don't want to say that this resort was bad - it wasn't all bad. We generally had a good vacation - the people were mainly warm and friendly. We had a waitress in the Sirenas side buffet - Yussett - who was fabulous, helpful and very friendly. We really enjoyed her sense of humour and company. The beach was lovely and the water was warm. Again using our only comparison - Mexico - the beach here was cleaned and groomed only once a week. In Mexico it is done daily. It is unfortunate that clueless tourists leave their messes but they do.
One other thing that we found difficult was getting any directions around the resort. No information in given to you upon check-in. They do not have resort maps or information about the a la cartes and it is sometimes difficult to get directions around the resort. We brought our own beach towels and I was thankful for that as a deposit was necessary for their use. We were down to one beach towel by the fourth day as one was taken off our balcony overnight. I hope someone is getting good use of it.
Off the resort the begging was endless. If you are an English speaking Canadian I think the people believe you are a soft touch... We were hit up about six times in the two times off the resort. The children begging in Havana were heartbreaking - for so many reasons. The women begging with babies in their arms under the hot sun were equally disturbing.
My advice to others looking for a resort would be dependant on your experience. If this is your first all inclusive and you don't mind a place that is a little run down or don't know any better - then this place is probably great. The resort is large, the beach is beautiful, the staff are friendly and the food is plentiful. Go and have a great time. If you are hoping for something a little more try a newer resort.
We are both very glad we experienced Cuba but are doubtful that we will return when there are so many other places to experience in the world.
I based my choice of this particular resort on the reviews from Trip Advisor and underestimated the run down conditions of the resort.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
13 Thank beach4me42
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

This was my first time at this hotel, but my third time visiting Cuba. This was definitely the best resort of the three I had been to. I'll split this review into sections to make it more organized, it's going to be a long one...

YUL DEPARTURE/ARRIVAL: We flew Sunwing out of Montreal and were delayed by an hour. No one is at fault, however, the plane needed to be de-iced and you can always expect these type of delays in the winter. I've flown Sunwing before and have no complaints - sure, there is not much leg room and the food is sub par...but who cares? Just suck it up for three hours - you're on your way to paradise!
After we landed, we transferred to the hotel which took about 35 minutes. We were the first ones to be dropped off which was a nice surprise. Check in was quick and painless and we arrived at 12pm and our room was ready, which was great.

GROUNDS: Right at first glance I was impressed by how big and beautiful the grounds of this two part hotel were. Palm trees everywhere, beautiful beach, clean pools. I always saw workers picking up garbage, landscaping, etc. Sure, this resort is huge...but this is why I liked it. I got my exercise by walking from the Coral side to the Sirenas side often. I never walked for more than 5 minutes.

ROOMS: We stayed on the Coral side. We ended up having to switch rooms after the first night because of excessive noise/issues with our neighbors being disrespectful. The room was nice, however, and everything functioned. We were in the building on top of the Club House when we were in that room. On our second day after we spoke to the front desk, we were moved right away to the main building which was quieter and had elevators (ROOM #1240). The beds were extremely comfortable in my opinion, better than any other bed I've slept in in Cuba. Bathrooms were good and had everything we needed, they even provided shampoo and soap which was nice. All lights worked, balcony door closed properly...our fridge was the only thing not working but that didn't matter to us.

MAID SERVICE: Our maid was very nice. Her name was Elsie and she always left us with beautiful towel art, extra toilet paper, and A LOT of water bottles. We had 4 extra bottles at one point. She changed our towels daily.

FOOD: Food was awesome. I never have issues with the food in Cuba but this resort had the best food out of the three I had been to. We ate breakfast and dinner at the Sirenas side mostly, since they seemed to have a bit more selection. Lots of variety...breakfast is always great with fresh omelets or pancakes. Lunch was tasty...5 out of 7 days we had Paella which was cooked fresh by the beach and it was DELICIOUS. We also had hot dogs/hamburgers from the snack bar which were good. Dinner was yummy, there was a good variety of freshly cooked meats and fish as well as various veggie and starch sides. Bread was always delicious. The snack bar on the Coral side is open 24 hours for food and until 2am for drinks (sometimes later). The food they serve all night was ham/cheese or ham/cheese/egg sandwiches. So delicious because they grilled them just right!

A LA CARTES: We tried the Italian, Oriental and Mexican. The Italian was my favorite because I love the pizza in Cuba. Oriental was very good and tasty and the Mexican was decent. We didn't get to try the Carribean one and I didn't hear much about it.

BEACH: The beach is beautiful of course. It is extremely wide and we always were able to find loungers. We had perfect weather..between 26-30 degrees every day with no rain. There was a bit of a breeze sometimes, but that made for fun waves to jump in. :)

BARS: There are many bars at this resort. The service was always quick and the bartenders were nice. We usually frequented the beach bar and the lobby bar at the Coral side and I liked all of the drinks I tried. Miami vice, Rum punch, City hell (?)..etc. The coffee bar on the Coral side was excellent. I had a cappuccino every morning and I never drink coffee at home. There is just something about Cuban coffee...

ENTERTAINMENT: We watched a few of the shows. The singer was so talented and most of the shows were good. The dancers were great as well.

STAFF: The staff were super accommodating and friendly. No complaints.

PEOPLE/PARTIES: We were there for NYE and they offered a beautiful spread at the buffet which was great. They had champagne and we did the countdown with a crowd of people in the middle of the resort. We met a lot of people 3 days in to our trip - There seemed to be an abundance of people from Quebec and Ontario (as usual). There were a lot of young people in their twenties as well as couples at this resort. We only saw a few families the whole week we were there. The Sirenas side is dead at around dinner time whereas the Coral lobby keeps going until 12am when the bar closes. This is where everyone predrinks before going out. We ended up leaving the resort a few times to party. We went to La Rumba, which was ok..a bit small and stuffy. We went to Cabaret Continental at the Internacional and we really liked it. Good music and lots of tourists. It was fun. We also went to La Comparsita in Varadero city. This was a more authentic experience and there were a lot of locals at the club. It was a cool place since the roof is open so you get to dance under the stars. Good music was played here as well. Our last night we went to Tuxpan to party and had a good time.

Overall, I had an amazing trip. I met great people and had a lot of fun times. I would definitely return to this resort and it would be fun with a group of friends, as opposed to just going with one other girl. No matter who you go with, however, you will definitely meet people and make memories to last a lifetime!

QUE NO PARE LA FIESTA....DON'T STOP THE PARTY :)

Room Tip: Stay in the main building of the Coral side if you want to be central and with all the young people...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank mel_7786
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your good comments. That is why our staff works for.
We keep working every day to give all our best to our dear guest.
We hope you can come back to Sol Sirenas Coral again.

Cordially.
Lati Naimi
Bucharest
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Been there for the last New Year.Arrived 10.30.pm,cause somebody from the group lost the luggage in the airport.Couldn't find any room with king size bed,but with some presents and an additional 10 CUC per day got one on 4th floor in Coral side,with a nice view over the garden and ocean.Tried to take a shower,but the water was lukewarm,maybe 30-35 C,the faucet was damage,the pressure was very low,and the shower hose was dripping from all the fittings.When we left the hotel,after 7 days,the situation was all the same.The veneer on the doors was shriveled,the hinges were rusted,the paint was gone.I have seen in some of the revues that for some ones it doesn't matter,but when you pay 2200 Euro/person+70 $ extra ,you may expect something better.I can tell you that with the same amount I stayed in Mauritius at a real 5 stars resort,way much better.However the cleaning is spotless.The food was average,better in Sirenas side.The garden is very well maintained,almost manicured.Seems to be a grate difference between gardeners and the technical staff.There are a lot of bars all over the resort,and the staff is very nice.The local booze is free,for the imported you have to pay 5 CUC/drink.Last thing,the public toilets,specially outside the hotels,are awfully.Try to avoid them if possible.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Renfrew, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

I have been staying at this resort since 2006 and I have stayed at better resorts, but what keeps me going back to this resort are the employees and I can't say enough good about them. Now I just came back from there Friday January 4th with my son and had spent New year's there and my first night twisted my ankle good and no I don't drink lol, but was laid up for 2 days. When I was able to get around we took a walk to see what car we could rent the next day and in front of the car rental there was a statue of a man (?) and I took my Ottawa senators ballcap and put it on the statue to take a picture and out of no where this security guard came yelling in Spanish at us he took my cap and tossed it back at me still going on in Spanish, I went to one of the hotel managers to find out why he was yelling and being a jerk. She (manager) explained who he was and what I did wasn't proper, so I went to the security guard and apologized and shock hands, but mean time the head of security head this over the radio and came over alll pissed off, knew and spoke NO ENGLISH told the manager "NO EXCEPT APOLOGY" and was calling the police and going to have us kicked out of Cuba for ever and remember my 14yr od son standing with me now scared confused and worrying. Now back to the employees who we doing their best to stop him, but remember no freedom of speech in cuba and the employees would lose their jobs fast. YES ALL OVER A BALLCAP. A little birdie told me the next day when they were KICKING US OUT OF SOL SERINAS CORAL that my rballcap had now become an "american flag" which now become a LIE . So after all THEY SAID and never heard "my story" was done all my employee friends help them to decide on and switched my son and I to the Barceló where I also have Cuban friends who work there and much clean up-to-date and to top it all off my son ran into his aunt and uncle :-) .......SO THE MORAL OF THIS STORY IS....HAVE WITNESSES AND WATCH THEIR STATUES AND OLDER SECURITY PERSONAL AT "SOL SERINAS CORAL RESORT "

• Stayed December 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank bshean7
Also consider these accommodations in or near Varadero
Sol Hotel
Colombus Hotel
Colombus Hotel
#7 of 8 in Oyster Pond
Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas Resort

Been to Sol Sirenas Coral Resort? Share your experiences!