“loved it”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Sol Sirenas Coral Resort
Ranked #36 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Spent a week at this hotel(november2012)and found it above average for Cuba(Six times in CUBA)Food above average and good,staff very frendly and always smiling with a friendly hello(Vladimir and Rafael).Outside gardens and pool extra!We shall return!
A and Chantal

Room Tip: Away from reception,noisy at night(music and shows)
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Andr_L155032
Sol C, General Manager at Sol Sirenas Coral Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2016

Lati Naimi

Write a ReviewReviews (5,140)

Reviewed November 25, 2012

My wife and I returned to this resort after 5 years, arriving on a late flight , we received our room at 10:00 pm, then went to sirenas side buffet, being they closed at 10:30 , the buffet was cold and slim pickings.
Room 1125 was clean , tv,phone did not work,toilet had issues , mold in bathroom.
I must point out that this is the worst bed I have EVER slept in.
Tried to acquire another room the following day to find out or what we were told , the resort was full.
We did have an option of a junior suite for 15/head/night , but that was unacceptable .
They did fix the tv, told the phone was undergoing an upgrade .
On the third day , received room 1405 , unit was clean , patio door did not lock, shower head had no pressure , tv did work , phone did not.
The bed was just as uncomfortable as the previous suite.
My wife woke up first , jumped in shower, no HOT water, she was livid, she went to front desk to complain of no hot water,
They assured it would be fixed, went on with our day , beautiful day at the beach, were not big drinkers, but drinks were tasteful.
During the day stopped at front desk to inquire as to the hot water situation , we were told we were not the only room with no hot water, there working on it ,was not offered another room.
At 4:00 that day , front desk assured us it was fixed , it was not.
After running back and forth, because the phone did not work, getting frustrated, front desk told us we had to wait for maintenance man at room as he had no room key, 1/2 hour later he showed up.
He turned on sink tap , then shower, to tell me no hot water, and no solution in a Cuban accent , of course.
The front desk gave me a room key for another suite to shower in, a fair distance away, I was really getting pissed.
Using this room to shower was a nightmare, shower head mount was broken, patio doorways left open, Mosquitos ,at least a hundred, as the wife showered I beat off the Mosquitos trying to bite her, getting real fu*^in pissed now.
Finally fixed the hot water issue ,fourth day in .
As for the food, al a carte's were a lot better 5 years prior.
The buffet on the sirenas side was actually pretty good.
The breakfasts on the coral side were as follows, go for a nice fresh fruit drink, freshly blended,in front of you, cut the fruit up nice, then get a half cup of water from a bucket on the ground, behind the stand, YUCK.
The omelette's were good, but really , how hard is it to make a one.
Sausage was cold, bacon cold, not very good overall .
Boiled eggs I was eating, the wife went with omelettes, the odd pancake.
I had to get three cups each day, one full of hot water to wash the other two, hard to go to every day.
I asked to speak to manager one day, I believe my third day in , the man at front desk , replies , has not been a manager here in twenty years. Then this couple over heard me and suggested customer service right behind me at elevator, (no sign).
After sitting down with her for twenty minutes, and filling out a half sheet of complaints, she seemed generally concerned.
The night before we left, somebody left a bottle of rum on our bed, don't know if it was management , or the cab driver we hired to take us to Havana.it could have been him, we gave him a very generous tip.
Next morning woke up , had breakfast , left for airport, didn't even check out, just frustrated withe whole ordeal, did meet some really nice people though.

Stayed: November 2012
5  Thank Dean C
SirenasCoral, Resident Manager at Sol Sirenas Coral Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

Thank you for your comments in this website. After reading your review we would like you to know that for us have been a deception we have not satisfied your expectations in reference to our facilities and services which we offered for you to enjoy and entertainment.
For this reason, please accept our apologies. We will continue working in these aspects, for you to enjoy your future holidays in our Resort .It is totally true that we need to improve in some issues you mentioned in your review like some technical issues such as hot water in rooms and telephones, besides some improvements in the service. I would like to explain you that these problems were caused by the breakage of a pump. The management did all the effort to solve as soon as was possible and in few hours was fixed immediately.
I would like to clarify that in the Hotel we have two customers service attending our clients and the management in the hotel is always available for our clients.
Believe me we took the necessary measures for these facts do not happen again.
Best Regards

Reviewed November 25, 2012

I spent 1 week at Sol Sirenas Coral 3rd week of November of 2012. Considering my past stay at other 4 star hotels, I rate it the best for Staff and Activities. Although the rooms in Coral were outdated but Sirenas' rooms were really updated, clean and modern. The staff was very pleasant and make you feel special, the cleaning staff, reception, activities, bar, restaurants, club house and nautical staff were all very friendly and 1-2 pesos tip make them go an extra step. I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel and give it a 4 star rating. Regarding food, I suggest bring your own ketchup and sauces to spice things up unless you like the bland food of cuba. Also, try to stay in Sirenas side if you like clean rooms and better service. Never leave the resort without trying their Mojito and Miami vice cocktails - just loved them over dry wines.

Regarding excursions, try booking through an agency other than goviota tours as the staff exhibits government attitude. We booked the catamaran with dolphin swimming, snorkelling and havana excursions and loved them all but be careful to book 2 day havana trip so that you get to see the real cuba and not to forget the world famous tropicana show. Scuba lessons are really cheap, try them on the first couple of days otherwise your ears are gonna brust on your flight back. I was just lucky to have them 2 days before my flight and just managed to get over the ear pain due to pressure variations. Finally, a tip to varadero on a horse buggy was just like yummy icing on the cake.

This resort is really worth more than the money they charge, we paid about $3100 for 1 week in a 4 person suite accommodation in the sirenas compared to $5000 asked by a 5 star hotel a couple of blocks away. Guys, do not compare them to 4 star resorts in US/Canada, just go and immerse yourself in white sandy beaches and fun filled activities offered by this resort.

Room Tip: Choose a room on higher floor on Sirenas side or a suite near the beach. Ocean view is better but ev...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Nan S

Reviewed November 24, 2012

My 2 friends and I stayed at the Sol Sirenas Coral from November 16th 2012 until November 23rd 2012. ROOM: We had a room on the Sirenas side, 2nd floor - it sure needs an upgrade but the room was clean and functional. Nothing was ever missing - we always had bottle of water, toilet paper and towels. Also, we got a bottle of rum & coke as a present from the hotel - that's what i call " taking good care of the guests" ! STAFF: The staff was always helpful and smiling. A special thanks to Humberto, Amado and Osmel who made amazing drinks at the bar near the pool. FOOD: The food is good considering we are in Cuba - there was 3 restaurants a la carte open at the time (Oriental, Caribbean, Italian). I would totally recommend the Italian restaurant, the food is really good as well as the service! BEACH: AMAZING!!! AMAZING ...AND AMAZING!
OVERALL EXPERIENCE: AWESOME trip ! We had a great time :)
We would definitely go back especially for 650$ CAD/ per - totally worth every penny!

7  Thank Miss D

General Manage

Reviewed November 21, 2012

My husband, 2 friends and I went to Cuba Nov. 9th-16th. We stayed in room 1421; it was nice and quiet and had a view of the ocean across the street. Our reservation was for a king bed but we got two beds. The hotel is in need of an upgrade. The air conditioning didn't work, there was no toilet paper holder and the toilet leaked from the handle when flushed. The hallway lights didn't work/were missing bulbs so it was pitch dark at night. The main floor and 4th floor buttons on the elevator were always lit up and when the doors close on you it is hard to get them to open again! The water was cut off a couple of times during the day and the electricity went off once. When our room was cleaned the toilet paper wasn't replenished. When we asked for an extra bottle of water for our room the lady at the main reception said she'd send somebody up; after waiting half an hour we went back down again and she just handed us a bottle from the storage room. I didn't see anybody doing any maintenance on the property until an official looking sort of man came on our second last day; then the hallway lights were fixed and I saw some people trimming the trees. The 2 tennis courts were in great shape but the resort only had 3 sad tennis balls, one of which was broken. You won't find tennis balls for sale in Varadero. Our room had a lovely breeze all day and night that kept the mosquitoes at bay. The ocean was way too wavy for me (undertow) but that could have been due to the after-effects of Hurricane Sandy. Did the bored-looking guy manning the beach grill use the same tongs on the raw chicken, beef, pork and fish that he used on the cooked food? Yep. Were there tiny birds flying around the buffet (indoors) and eating off the counter, tables and floors then pooping on the backs of the chairs when they stopped for a break? Mmm hmmm. But the food was quite tasty considering that everyone's main complaint about Cuban hotels is the food. There was an okra dish one day that reminded me of mom's home cookin' and the rice was made with butter. There was a pretty good variety every day so other than the snack-bar running out of hot dogs & hamburgers one day we had no complaints about the food. When I suggested to the cheery lady who makes freshly blended juice in the mornings that she use fresh milk instead of powered she happily obliged. That is probably my one complaint; the lemonade was clearly made from powder and the bar choices were somewhat limited. The evening shows were pretty good and there was almost always somebody playing live music at the restaurants or lobby bar. One of our friends had been to the resort before so we got to know many of the staff quickly and enjoyed practicing our Spanish with them; they did their best to make our stay a good one. Not sure I'd recommend this resort but if we get another good deal like we did this time ($1060 CAD for two people, 7 days) we may consider going back.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street are quieter and had a nice breeze.
6  Thank RaspberryTrip
SirenasCoral, Resident Manager at Sol Sirenas Coral Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2012

Thank you for writing your comments in this web site. We know we have some problems which we are trying to solve every day and we consider your review very realistic. It´s totally true and for us is very important the perspective that you transmit to us. The most important thing for us is the attitude of all staff from Sol Sirenas Coral. Dealing with our customers the best possible way they have the opportunity to enjoy with the friendly and polite people who work so hard to give them a good service. We hope you choose again our hotel to spend your next holidays.
Best Regards

Reviewed November 19, 2012

I booked with Hola Sun direct using their web site. Great price and an agent phoned within 20-30 mins to make sure everything was correct. Flight was with Can Jet, smooth check in and great flight. Hola Sun on the ground wasn’t at the airport in Varadero so things didn’t go well, no package, no briefing time or place and wasn’t helpful at the resort.

We arrived at Sol Sirenas Coral at approx 11:00 AM, check in was fast and our room was ready. Ocean View 4th floor, just what we requested. Everything worked in the room and it was OK.

RESORT: Show’s some age, however, clean and the grounds are well kept. We had one small problem and it was fixed within 30 mins after it was reported.

FOOD: Not the greatest at both Buffets, however, we did find enough to eat. Breakfast was the worst, not enough coffee, most food was cool, very little bacon, didn’t see a sausage all week, omelet was the best. Lots of bread and cheese. The beach buffet on the Coral side was the best food, however, the guy on the outside grill could do only one thing at a time that caused a long line and upset people.

STAFF: The service staff and the bar staff were great. It seamed the higher you got the worst it was. One woman walked by me four times near the front desk and not once asked if I needed help or was I helped. Changing money, two were chatting between themselves and didn’t look at me, another lady got in line, the third lady walked up to the counter and waved he money, spoke Spanish, they looked up changed her money before looking at us. RUDE

ENTERTAINMENT: Both the evening & on the beach, very good.

THANK YOU: Patricia on the front desk; Maydel at the breakfast & lunch buffet Coral side; Annelys at the dinner buffet Sirenas side; John at the Coral Lobby bar and Mercenes & Bruno at the beach bar Coral. Outstanding job, thanks.

WOULD I RETURN: Yes

Room Tip: Ocean View, nice view. Not good if you sleep before 11:00 PM
5  Thank XTANKER

General Manage

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Just returned from our one week holiday & had a great time. Our group arrived Nov 10th & checked into the Coral side, all 5 rooms in the same section as requested. Rooms were dated but clean & our maid Maruska was the best. She greeted us cheerfully the first morning, always smiling & happy. I've read other reviews over having problems getting fresh towels & no bottled water but these were not problems we experienced. Had fresh towels & a new bottle of water every day, plus towel art. On a side note, do bring your own beach towel as if you want one here you do have to pay $15 CUC but you can keep it & take it home with you.

The buffets were ok & best to go earlier to get the better selection & hotter food. Fresh omlettes were our breakfast of choice at the Coral section & our omelette bar lady was fantastic. The restaurants were good & I enjoyed the Italian the most.

The grounds were gorgeous as well as the beach & pool areas. Great service from Olga at the swim up bar on the Coral side as well as Yaima & Enrique at the Coral lobby bar. We did get approached a bit while on the beach for Cigars & restaurant dinners but overall didn't find that bothersome as I've been to other resorts in Mexico where you are bombarded by vendors, the beaches of Varadero were a nice change.

Overall we had a great experience & will definitely be going back in the future.

• Stayed: November 2012