“The staff and your attitude will make it a good stay :)”

Sol Sirenas Coral Resort
Ranked #37 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed November 21, 2012

My husband, 2 friends and I went to Cuba Nov. 9th-16th. We stayed in room 1421; it was nice and quiet and had a view of the ocean across the street. Our reservation was for a king bed but we got two beds. The hotel is in need of an upgrade. The air conditioning didn't work, there was no toilet paper holder and the toilet leaked from the handle when flushed. The hallway lights didn't work/were missing bulbs so it was pitch dark at night. The main floor and 4th floor buttons on the elevator were always lit up and when the doors close on you it is hard to get them to open again! The water was cut off a couple of times during the day and the electricity went off once. When our room was cleaned the toilet paper wasn't replenished. When we asked for an extra bottle of water for our room the lady at the main reception said she'd send somebody up; after waiting half an hour we went back down again and she just handed us a bottle from the storage room. I didn't see anybody doing any maintenance on the property until an official looking sort of man came on our second last day; then the hallway lights were fixed and I saw some people trimming the trees. The 2 tennis courts were in great shape but the resort only had 3 sad tennis balls, one of which was broken. You won't find tennis balls for sale in Varadero. Our room had a lovely breeze all day and night that kept the mosquitoes at bay. The ocean was way too wavy for me (undertow) but that could have been due to the after-effects of Hurricane Sandy. Did the bored-looking guy manning the beach grill use the same tongs on the raw chicken, beef, pork and fish that he used on the cooked food? Yep. Were there tiny birds flying around the buffet (indoors) and eating off the counter, tables and floors then pooping on the backs of the chairs when they stopped for a break? Mmm hmmm. But the food was quite tasty considering that everyone's main complaint about Cuban hotels is the food. There was an okra dish one day that reminded me of mom's home cookin' and the rice was made with butter. There was a pretty good variety every day so other than the snack-bar running out of hot dogs & hamburgers one day we had no complaints about the food. When I suggested to the cheery lady who makes freshly blended juice in the mornings that she use fresh milk instead of powered she happily obliged. That is probably my one complaint; the lemonade was clearly made from powder and the bar choices were somewhat limited. The evening shows were pretty good and there was almost always somebody playing live music at the restaurants or lobby bar. One of our friends had been to the resort before so we got to know many of the staff quickly and enjoyed practicing our Spanish with them; they did their best to make our stay a good one. Not sure I'd recommend this resort but if we get another good deal like we did this time ($1060 CAD for two people, 7 days) we may consider going back.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street are quieter and had a nice breeze.
6  Thank RaspberryTrip
SirenasCoral, Resident Manager at Sol Sirenas Coral Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2012

Thank you for writing your comments in this web site. We know we have some problems which we are trying to solve every day and we consider your review very realistic. It´s totally true and for us is very important the perspective that you transmit to us. The most important thing for us is the attitude of all staff from Sol Sirenas Coral. Dealing with our customers the best possible way they have the opportunity to enjoy with the friendly and polite people who work so hard to give them a good service. We hope you choose again our hotel to spend your next holidays.
Best Regards

Reviewed November 19, 2012

I booked with Hola Sun direct using their web site. Great price and an agent phoned within 20-30 mins to make sure everything was correct. Flight was with Can Jet, smooth check in and great flight. Hola Sun on the ground wasn’t at the airport in Varadero so things didn’t go well, no package, no briefing time or place and wasn’t helpful at the resort.

We arrived at Sol Sirenas Coral at approx 11:00 AM, check in was fast and our room was ready. Ocean View 4th floor, just what we requested. Everything worked in the room and it was OK.

RESORT: Show’s some age, however, clean and the grounds are well kept. We had one small problem and it was fixed within 30 mins after it was reported.

FOOD: Not the greatest at both Buffets, however, we did find enough to eat. Breakfast was the worst, not enough coffee, most food was cool, very little bacon, didn’t see a sausage all week, omelet was the best. Lots of bread and cheese. The beach buffet on the Coral side was the best food, however, the guy on the outside grill could do only one thing at a time that caused a long line and upset people.

STAFF: The service staff and the bar staff were great. It seamed the higher you got the worst it was. One woman walked by me four times near the front desk and not once asked if I needed help or was I helped. Changing money, two were chatting between themselves and didn’t look at me, another lady got in line, the third lady walked up to the counter and waved he money, spoke Spanish, they looked up changed her money before looking at us. RUDE

ENTERTAINMENT: Both the evening & on the beach, very good.

THANK YOU: Patricia on the front desk; Maydel at the breakfast & lunch buffet Coral side; Annelys at the dinner buffet Sirenas side; John at the Coral Lobby bar and Mercenes & Bruno at the beach bar Coral. Outstanding job, thanks.

WOULD I RETURN: Yes

Room Tip: Ocean View, nice view. Not good if you sleep before 11:00 PM
5  Thank XTANKER
Sol C, General Manager at Sol Sirenas Coral Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2016

General Manage

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Just returned from our one week holiday & had a great time. Our group arrived Nov 10th & checked into the Coral side, all 5 rooms in the same section as requested. Rooms were dated but clean & our maid Maruska was the best. She greeted us cheerfully the first morning, always smiling & happy. I've read other reviews over having problems getting fresh towels & no bottled water but these were not problems we experienced. Had fresh towels & a new bottle of water every day, plus towel art. On a side note, do bring your own beach towel as if you want one here you do have to pay $15 CUC but you can keep it & take it home with you.

The buffets were ok & best to go earlier to get the better selection & hotter food. Fresh omlettes were our breakfast of choice at the Coral section & our omelette bar lady was fantastic. The restaurants were good & I enjoyed the Italian the most.

The grounds were gorgeous as well as the beach & pool areas. Great service from Olga at the swim up bar on the Coral side as well as Yaima & Enrique at the Coral lobby bar. We did get approached a bit while on the beach for Cigars & restaurant dinners but overall didn't find that bothersome as I've been to other resorts in Mexico where you are bombarded by vendors, the beaches of Varadero were a nice change.

Overall we had a great experience & will definitely be going back in the future.

• Stayed: November 2012
7  Thank LesleyTr

Reviewed November 18, 2012

My friends and i went to Cuba Nov9th-16th. it was my first vacation and it was a blast. we had a great time and the staff is what made the experience so much better. they were very nice and should be rewarded because they make you feel like your at home and i would return to see them again. Mercedes the beach bartender was a PARTY and so SWEET. JOJO the entertainer/ actvity organizer was THE BEST, funny AND CHARMING. Bruno was a blast. Damain the bartender in the clubhouse made some really good drinks and was fun. Elaine the resturant bookey was so sweet and welcoming. my friends and i favorite staff of them all was our maid Ana Maria she did the coolest things to out sheets everything was so CLEAN even though my friends and i were a little messy. we had clean towels and all. by the end we have made a Cuban friend with her someone i would want to go back to see personally.so sweet we miss you Ana. Many of the staff were so happy and helpful but these ones made my friends and i trip nothing short of amazing

3  Thank Kneesha F

Reviewed November 17, 2012

I was really worred when I booked for this hotel because of the bad comments I read. But my experience was awesome.

We insisted however to be on the sirenas side. After our arrival it took 3 hours for the room to be ready, that was one of the few bad moments.

The rooms we were given were close all togethers (3 rooms for 3 people). All rooms bathroom did contain mold, but nothing serious. Everything was functionnal. The bed were comfortable. There was a strange stain on my bed but the amazing maid I got cleaned it the same day I asked her.

No bud begs. Air conditionning stopped working 3 days before I left, but I was offered a new room... I decided to stay as my room temperature was 23 celcius at night and I usually dont stay in the room during the day. My phone worked only half the time but I did not request any help for that.

The maid staff works pretty hard to clean and maintain the rooms, wich compensate for the facts that the rooms in generals are old and could use new paints. In fact, this hotel can maintain it's 4 stars status because of it's cleaning and mechanics staff who were really helpfull with any problem encountered.

A+ for theses employees.

The pool bar at the sirenas side is almost always empty, the staff does not really bother to serve people on the pool, they all stick on the snack bars and the ladies who works there could learn how to smile. The guys working there thought are pretty cooperative and enjoyables.

The lobby bar at the sirenas is nice, but close too soon at 12. However the bar tenders are awesomes once you given them 2 or 3 pesos. It is the bar where you get the better drinks on the whole hotel side. Definately a A- for this bar.

We went on the coral side a couple time. The pool bar at the coral side has good staff and the pool is awesome, but the lobby bar staff at the coral side are not smiling nor they seem to enjoy their jobs. But I can understand them since there is too many russians who makes noises and constantly hit on their tables and disturb others tourists. I would not recommend sticking around russians tourists. For some reasons they all stick on the coral side.

The snak back at the coral side is nice, but they seem to lack everything everyday. (no more fries, no mores alcool, etc) It is 24 hours thouht and they do serve alcool for 24 hours unlike we were told by our travel agency.

Coral side B- at best in general for the staff and services while the Sirenas side get a A- in general.

The beach grills on the sirenas side is the major downside of this hotel. They serves cuban employee before the tourists and there is never any food available. We waited 1 hours for 1 single burger...

The bar tender over there do not smile and always talk spanish with others spanish tourists or cuban staffs. I would honestly fire this guy right away. If the manager of this hotel READ THIS COMMENT please adress this issue as the guy working there is pretty annoying. Also the lifeguards and beach attendants are pretty annoying harassing you with trip to havana and cigars. I've been asked many times to give them beers for them from the bar and clothes. They are efficients at giving you beach chairs thought and will come to you as soon as you come on the beach wich is a + and better than higher rated hotel I went.

The cleaning staff and mechanics staff, at least on the sirenas side, get the A+.

Italian restaurant is awesome, servers speak english good and they also speak french and the manager of this restaurant is amazing. The Italians restaurant, we went three times in the week, BEST restaurant on the hotel. Try it, many time if you can. Mexican restaurant is ok, good enough. good ambiance. The oriental restaurant...you may skip this one. The food selection is bad, the ambiance is nice thought.

We did not try El Rancho (the suposed 4th a la carte restaurant, but it's not) since the opening hour are not convenient (they say 12:30 to 16:00 but they never open until 13h00) Some friends on the side told me it was good thought.

We did not bother to go the coral buffet since it is open only in the morning and the others tourists told us it was not good.

The sirenas buffet is pretty ok, but you have to get use to the annoying smell.

We did not try the beach grill on the coral side.

Overall I'm still rating the hotel 4 stars because of the beauty of the site, the beauty of the beach, the proximity to the town and the Sirenas Lobby bar and the Sirenas staff in general. Reception and customer service at the sirenas were pretty effecient when we requested assistance.

The hotel is worth it. You are in Cuba, even if you go to 5 stars hotel you'll encounters theses kinds of problems, as I had with a higher rated hotels. My hat to the Sirenas staff again (except the snack-pool bar and beach grill unfriendly guy)

Room Tip: Insist not to end up on the coral side, too many tourists told us bad story while we were there. The...
10  Thank ManOWar2

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Our first experience in Cuba, we really liked it. A good hotel for the price. The rooms and food were average. The beach was nice and the hotel staff were quite friendly. It is an older resort, so that means not as updated rooms but it also means that the grounds were really nice, since the plants have all had time to mature. The pool was also designed ver nicely, making it seem as if there was more privicy. We travelled here with family back in 2008.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Nicole00123
Reviewed November 15, 2012

This was our first vacation together and we stayed at Sol Sirenas Coral. We stayed in Sol Coral. Upon early arrival our room was already for us and we anticipated having to wait for it., pleasant surprise. The room was clean, tidy not new and had a few problems like the drapes fell down the first day but they were repaired the next morning, but we were looking for a smaller resort quaint not stuffy and busy. The staff always greeted us with smiles and great service. They could not do enough for us. One waitress named Dunia was especially warm and friendly. The beach was excellent, the pools were clean and well maintained. The grounds were lush with palm trees and plants. All amenities were with a short walking distance. The theatre put on a excellent show every night, very talented dancers. We stayed at the resort from Oct 27-Nov 3 2012. We will definately return to this hotel already planning our next vacation at the same hotel..

Room Tip: We had an ocean view, wonderful could see the ocean from the front door and the balcony door
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple