Sol Sirenas Coral Resort
HotelsClick
$450
Elvoline
5,322 results
All reviewssirenas buffetcoral buffetcoral lobby barsirenas poolhour snack baryounger crowdhave a good timepaellaping pongnight lifekeep in mindwhite sandhot saucegreat tripgreat resortamazing beachjeep safari
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Pros: Beach
Cons: Faulty electrical in the rooms
Leaking Air conditioning and ceilings
Moldy bathroom ceilings (literally moldy, took pictures of mushrooms growing on the ceiling)
Horrible food when it's available

Do yourself a favor and stay elsewhere, this hotel is a lawsuit waiting to happen, it's a toilet.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Pro M
Coral_Sirenas, Director of Sales at Sol Sirenas Coral Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2018

Dear
We are very sorry for your bad comments. Our team of workers strives hard to get customers to leave the installation satisfied, it is a pity not having met our goal. We hope you choose again for Sol Melia. Have a good day

Reviewed November 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Sol Sirenas Coral Resort from October 20-27, 2012. We booked our trip through Sears Travel in Oshawa, Ontario. As we were celebrating our belated honeymoon we made sure the travel agent noted in the requests section of our reservation that we were honeymooners and that we preferred a room with a king bed. Knowing that our requests were not guaranteed, I thought I would also send an email directly to the hotel with the same requests, in Spanish. I received a very polite reply to my email thanking us for choosing the resort and I was assured that my request would be passed on to the “quality control” manager. So far my customer experience had been perfect and I was looking forward to enjoying a wonderful honeymoon in Cuba.
The flight was on time, and we arrived at the Sol Sirenas Coral around noon. When we checked in the man at the front desk said he had no knowledge of our “honeymooners” status, and that we had been assigned a room with two beds. I pulled out my reservation papers and showed him the statement of request that had been sent to the hotel during the booking process. He didn’t acknowledge it. After some paper shuffling and discussion with a colleague he erased someone else’s reservation (literally, using a pencil with an eraser) and gave us room 7470 (in the main building on the Sol Sirenas side). He said it was nice room with an ocean view and most certainly a king sized bed. We were happy with his assertion. Unfortunately, since check-in time wasn’t until 4pm we had to drop off our luggage in the luggage room and wait for our room to be prepared. We went and had lunch in the buffet restaurant. After that we wandered to the beach which was beautiful. We returned to the lobby around 2:30pm to see if our room was ready. It wasn’t. I went up to check on the progress and could see the maid making her way towards the end of the corridor where our room was. I foolishly thought that the front desk staff would have contacted the maid and asked her to prepare our room first (or at least one of the first), since we were waiting for it. No such luck. At 4pm we asked again at the front desk and were told to come back because our room still wasn’t ready, even though it was now “officially” check-in time. At 4:15 we went to the luggage room and got our luggage with the help of a staff member. We went up to our room and found that the maid was just starting to prepare the room. By this point it was nearly 4:30pm and my husband and I were losing the will to live. The bell boy spoke to the maid in Spanish and came back to us and said the room wasn’t ready which was kind of obvious. I asked when the room would be ready. He went back to the maid and asked (what were they talking about the first time?) He came back and said it would be another 30 minutes. I was quite upset by this point and said that this was unacceptable, and that it was well past check-in time. His response was a shrug and the statement “It’s not our fault”. Really? Um, ok. My husband was fuming. We returned yet again to the lobby. We finally made it into our room at 5:30pm, a full hour and a half after check-in time, and 5 hours since we had arrived at the hotel. We walked into our room to find two beds, not one king. Still, chin up as they say! I was just happy to finally be starting our honeymoon! That is…until I realized the toilet was broken and wouldn’t flush. The maid hadn’t bothered to tell us this as she passed by us. 20 minutes after arriving into the room a handyman knocked at our door and fixed the toilet.
The room itself was quite dated. The balcony door couldn’t be opened or closed easily because it was off its tracks, apparently. My husband had to heave it open and shut whenever we wanted to use it. The bathroom floor was constantly wet near the bathtub, and there was a lot of mould and damage to the tiles and bathroom door as a result (see photos). The beds were old and very creaky, and the pillows had to be exchanged because they reeked of mildew. We spoke with Angela (the Nolitours rep) the next day to share our wonderful check-in experience and lack of a king bed and she filed a complaint on our behalf. She showed us a room on the Coral side of the resort but it also had two beds and was even more dated than the room we had so we declined. We were shown yet another room on the Sol Sirenas side but it also had two beds and a strong mildew odour so we declined that as well and gave up. I couldn’t understand how there could be no rooms with a king bed left since the resort didn’t appear to be very full.
In terms of the maid service, well, it was spotty, at best. Our maid was eager not to clean our room and when she did it was the bare minimum. Towels were not replaced, bottles of water were sometimes provided, although there was always a lovely creation made out of our bed covers. I left her a gift which included goods and cash and it was received with very little thanks. Not that I was expecting extreme gratitude but it was a rather cold response to a nice gesture, a theme which emerged consistently from most of the staff at this resort. There was definitely a sense of indifference from many of the staff.
Our biggest disappointment was the food. Bland does not even begin to describe how bland the food was. Having been to Cuba before as well as Antigua, Costa Rica, Colombia (3 times), Venezuela, and Mexico (all to 3 star resorts I might add) I wasn't expecting formidable food, but this was by far the worst food I have ever had at a resort. The food was extremely basic, and even the 3 a la carte restaurants at the resort were very disappointing. It's the only holiday I've been on where I lost weight.
The alcohol that was served wasn't the big international brands, and appeared to be watered down. My husband had several rum and cokes which appeared to be over half rum, yet they tasted of only coke. Don't even get me started on the quality of the red wine. You could strip paint with the red wine served at this resort. The beer was mainly the light-tasting Cristal, although if you walked down to the beach bar during the day and you were lucky you might be able to get a Buchanero - much better than the Cristal. Bring a thermos mug with you so you don't have to go back and forth from the beach to the bar hut.
I was surprised by the number of staff around the pool who would approach you with a flower or a hat made of palm tree leaves looking for money or some other item. My husband was approached by a groundskeeper who wanted his towel for his pregnant wife who was about to give birth.
The beach was beautiful and was the best part of the holiday. We didn't have any problems finding loungers on the beach. We brought our own towels from home as we had read about the difficulty in exchanging dirty beach towels for clean ones. Plus you have to leave a 15 C.U.C. deposit per towel.
Exchanging money at the hotel was an interesting experience. There is no exchange rate board posted anywhere so you just have to take the cashier's word when she hands you your money, no receipt provided either.
The Coral side of the resort looked fairly run down, although the best lunch we had was at the Grill, close to the beach. I would recommend making the trip over for lunch which is semi-a la carte, along with a selection of the mundane buffet.
We took the day trip to Havana and found it to be somewhat slow paced and boring. The exciting part was being surrounded by locals every time we got off the bus, asking for money and goods.
It's a shame we selected the Sol Sirenas for our honeymoon. We wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone, except perhaps to those with no taste buds who don't mind indifferent treatment. Oh, and if you want to fit in with the other holidaymakers at this resort make sure you bathe in cologne and perfume each and every day.

Room Tip: If you're really going to go to this place don't waste your money paying extra for an ocean view. You can't really see the ocean from this resort because it's only got 4 levels and there are palm trees in the way.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Baruderu

Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed at Sol Sirenas Coral from Nov 3 to Nov 10, 2012. I was there in 2008 we liked it then so we decided to try it again. After all the bad reviews we saw we were a little worried after we booked. But we were quite happy with our stay. Our room although it could use some updating was always clean. The food was average for Cuba, you can always find something you like to eat. The staff was always friendly and helpful. The Beach is Beautiful and we met some great people.
Great Hotel for the Price. If you want better food, nicer rooms, more activities, then you should stay at a 5 star in Cuba and pay more.

Room Tip: If you have a problem with your room just ask them to change you, they will usually willingly change if you just ask.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank cbhick
Sol C, General Manager at Sol Sirenas Coral Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2016

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your good comments. That is why our staff works for.
We keep working every day to give all our best to our dear guest.
We hope you can come back to Sol Sirenas Coral again.

Cordially.
Lati Naimi

Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Great stay at the Sol Sirenis. Upon arrival we were shown 2 rooms and we chose the one with the oceanview. Check-in was a breeze, but yes, you do have to have patience as people work by Cuban time. All the staff were great. Very friendly and they all seemed like happy people. Its close to downtown Varadero. The beach is beautiful and the entertainment was great. The discoteque was always full and a great time. The food was standard Cuba food, and like always the ham and cheese sandwiches were great. Drinks at all bars were good and they had everything available. Pool area was really nice as well. Would I stay here again?? Si :))

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank opasna24

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your good comments. That is why our staff works for.
We keep working every day to give all our best to our dear guest.
We hope you can come back to Sol Sirenas Coral again.

Cordially.
Lati Naimi

Reviewed November 11, 2012

does anyone know if the renovations at sirenas side are done, since i have been e mailing the resort few times in the past 3 months and they dont care to reply to you. i have been at this resort 5 times, but the last time i was there the resort was under renovations and there was not much going on, no water no warm food, most of everything was closed, so i was told after the renos are done it should be much nicer, i am willing to give this resort one last try, but i need someone that has been there in last couple months to let me know if both sides of the resort are open, thank you, much appreciated!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends