“Good experience in the Slower off season”

IBEROSTAR Playa Alameda Hotel
Ranked #17 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Toronto, Canada
“Good experience in the Slower off season”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

The resort was nice. Our room wasn't to fancy but it was clean and the staff was very friendly. For some reason we had an extra bed in our room that was to be removed but they seemingly forgot over and over again. The food was not to bad as some people had warned me about when going to Cuba. I think the Trip was Well worth what we paid I would go again for sure.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dave554455
GralManagerAlameda, Manager at IBEROSTAR Playa Alameda Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear Guest

The Iberostar Playa alameda would like to thank you for your recent visit to our Resort, and to share your moments with us.

It is a great pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your vacation with us, with your nice comments about the workers in our team you give them even more motivation to improve even more our services.

Be sure that every comment of our clients is important to us and our management is already informed about your concern.

It will be a pleasure for us to welcome you once again in Cuba and in our hotel.

Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Prince Rupert, Canada
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Stayed for 10 days rooms were very clean my maid was awesome kevie she made me a braclet of shells location is great, staff is friendly and had lots of entertainment I liked the Buffet selection better than the ala carte restaurants. I would stay again

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Naomi H
GralManagerAlameda, Manager at IBEROSTAR Playa Alameda Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Dear Guest

On behalf of all the Iberostar Alameda Team we would like to thank you for your recent stay at our resort, and the time to share your wonderful experience with us.

We are proud that you enjoyed our hospitality, food and activities. Our Team is proud that they made your stay an unforgettable experience. It is our main goal that our guests are completely satisfied with our services, and with your excellent review we see that we did so.

It will be a great pleasure to welcome you once again in Iberostar Alameda, please do not hesitate to contact us before your next visit.

sask canada
Reviewed February 12, 2014

My wife and I stayed at Playa Alameda early February for one week. Check in went smoothly with a welcome cocktail. No bellman anywhere so we found our room in block 15 by ourselves. As soon as we walked in the room we were met with the overwhelming smell of sewer gas. I had read other reviews complaining about this so I was not surprised. The bedsheets were damp and smelly as well as the blankets. After a day any clothing not kept in our suitcase smelled of mold. Our room was on the ground level but I was able to check out a room on the second floor of a different building and it smelled worse than ours did. We didn't bother changing rooms because this seems to be an issue thru out the resort. Hot water in the shower was hit and miss, a few mornings we had to take cold showers. We requested a king bed and got it and the fridge worked very well. our room also had a flat screen t.v which was also a plus.

The pool area was very nice with servers constantly walking around fetching drinks for anyone sitting nearby. The snack bar there had pizza on the menu but every time we asked for it we were told "no pizza" without any explanation as to why. The beach was very nice and the beach bartender very friendly. The entertainment staff were also very good there.

The staff make this resort shine. A few standouts were Yaciel, Viviana, Colon and the lady he works with at Santiago bar but I cant remember her name. also Toni at the lobby bar/outdoor seating area. My wife took a great liking toward Yaciel because he was so kind to her and always asked if everything was ok. All the servers in the restaurants were great especially Yanlin at the outdoor area of the main buffet. The only server I had an issue with was Zuly. she seemed to not like me for some reason which I will never know. on many occasions she would ignore me but ask my wife what she wanted to drink. I thought she was rude plain and simple so she didn't get any tips. The grounds keepers work very hard to keep the resort looking pristine.

The food at all restaurants was above average. I enjoyed the lobster from the Mediterranean restaurant. My wife loved the omelets served at breakfast and the man serving them was nice. there was plenty of choices at all meals in the buffet with a pasta station and pork or beef roast being sliced for people. We also found the drinks to be above average with many choices of sweet cocktails and yummy pina colata's.

There were a few other things about this resort that bothered us. The jacuzzi was usually shut off by 8pm and we like to relax in the jacuzzi before bedtime. this was inconsistent though because a few nights we were able to use it past 10pm. Who wants to sit in a jacuzzi in the afternoon during sweltering heat? not us. Also there was an evening when we didn't want to watch the entertainment so went to play a game of pool only to find all pool balls gone and no pool cues. We are certainly not children so we don't need to be supervised to play pool. We have stayed at other resorts in Varadero with 24 hour jacuzzi's, game rooms and gym.

We would not recommend this resort to anyone with asthma or other breathing problems. Or anyone with small children. The only reason we would return is for the great staff that work there.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the top floors. a few people I spoke to reported no bad smell.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Blinkdude
GralManagerAlameda, Manager at IBEROSTAR Playa Alameda Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Geust

First of all, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Iberostar Alameda for your vacations in Cuba.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the hospitality, and friendliness of Cuba. Our team is proud to know that you liked the services that we offer also our kitchen staff is honored and your comments will help them to prepare even better dishes in the future.

We would like to inform you that every concern presented by our guest in very important to us. Your correspondence bellow has been forwarded to our Management and we regret the incidents you are mentioning.

We hope to have the opportunity to host you back once again in the near future so we can change your point of view in regards to these issues.

Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

I went January 25 2014 staff one 1 amazing time food first two days was bad the rest of the days sea food amazing a la carte restaurant very good the only thing that made my vacation so so was the rooms very bad especial the ones of 20 and over they smelled like humidity and mould they were also dirty! Would I go back yes only if they renovated the rooms

Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Nicole M
GralManagerAlameda, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Playa Alameda Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
Dear Nicole M,

We would like to thank for your review. We regret that your vacation experience was not 100% enjoyable, due to the rooms as it is our goal to ensure that our guests have a wonderful stay with us.
We are constantly working to improve our standards in the rooms and hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you again to learn that we have improved.

Regards,

Rimbey, Canada
Reviewed February 12, 2014

If you are looking for a vacation on the beach this is the place to go! The weather was fantastic, the people are wonderful. In all the resorts we have ever been to this resort has hands down the best entertainment we have ever seen.

The rooms are decent and reasonably clean. The food was allright. Not the best we've had but there was never a meal where we couldn't find something we liked.

On of the best things about this resort, other than the wonderful staff and entertaiment, is that there were plenty of chairs at the beach and around the pool. There were also several bars and a wonderful patio entertainment in the evening. As the crowd got larger they just kept bringing tables and chairs from other areas. There is no need to rush to the beach before breakfast to reserve a lounger. Plenty of loungers and shade available any time of the day.

If you want to be running around all the time to see other areas of Cuba - Veradero is quite a bit out of the way. You will have long travel times. If you plan on making several trips into Veradero itself because this resort it almost at the end of the penninsula; you need to take the bus - there is a hop on hop off bus - but count on almost an hour each way. Definately too far to walk.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JeannieDK
Dear JeannieDk,

We appreciate your wonderful review about your recent stay with us. I shared your positive comments with our staff and they were so pleased to learn that we have exceeded your expectations.
We hope to have the pleasure in hosting you on a future vacation to Varadero.

Best Regards,

Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Stayed at this hotel from January 24-31st. and had a wonderful time. We found the rooms large comfortable and everything in working order. The fridge and the rooms were cleaned early and never had a problem with fresh towels.
We found the food at the buffet to be excellent and have a great selection at all times. We were very surprised and happy at how many choices you could have at each meal.
We did the romantico and the Italian ala carte and thought they were very good also.
They have a great snack bar by the pool it was our favorite spot for lunch. They have a good selection and can even order different kinds of salads. And of course the ice cream bar was great.
The entertainment was probably the best that I have seen at any resort and I have done alot of different resorts. The staff were extremely friendly and could not do enough to make sure you enjoyed your stay.
It is the 2nd Iberostar I have stayed at I enjoyed the first one enough to say I would like to try another. With that being said I would be very excited to go back to this hotel or try any others with out any hesitation.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 313sun51
Dear 313sun51,

On behalf of Iberostar Hotels & Resorts, we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Playa Alameda to spend your vacation.
We are glad to know that you enjoyed the food, cleanliness and every corner of our property.
We hope to have the opportunity to host you again in your next visit to Cuba.

Best Regards,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We've been to Cuba Four different times and always have great times,unforgettable actually,but this time something special happened.On our third day my wife and I were on our way to spend the day in Varadero and I had forgotten my wallet in our room.As we were almost at the lobby,I went back to our room alone to retrieve my wallet.When I caught back up to her a situation with an elderly guest left us heartbroken.That feeling soon went away when we saw how kind and helpful the staff were.What happened had nothing to do with the staff or resort,it was purely bad planning on behalf of the gentleman, but they really hit it out of the park to fix his problem with a smile.Our experience here was exceptional.Im not saying it was perfect,but it was close.The beach was great as was the weather.The food was good,but that is really subjective to your taste.Just remember where you are.Shortages do occasionally happen but we experienced this at other resorts as well.Its a Cuba thing,part of the charm,like smelling exhaust fumes from the '55 buick your driving in.I would give this resort a big fat 5 out of 5.As a matter of fact, we will be back at this same resort for spring break.See you there!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank michel p
Dear Michel p,

On behalf of the staff and management here at Iberostar Playa Alameda we would like to thank you for having chosen Iberostar Playa Alameda as the destination for your vacations, also for taking the time to post a review about your experience.
I shared your review with our staff and were delighted to know that we not only met your expectations but exceeded.
We look forward to host you again at your home away from home.

Sunny Regards from Varadero