“Great property!”

Ranked #17 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Vancouver, Canada
“Great property!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

We went as a family..myself, my hubby and our two kids aged 20 & 17 yrs old. It was meant as a "final" family trip since our kids are getting older and really don't want to be around us much anymore (except if we pay for a trip..lol!). Anyways, this resort was great! We stayed in Bldg 18 which is closest to the beach. The staff are SO friendly and the rooms are big! We ended up with 2 rooms..my hubby and I in one and the kids next door to us. Both rooms had roomy single beds (maybe European size since they were wider than a twin in NAmerica?) pushed together. It seemed to be quite clean and we had a little patio w/ 2 chairs outside our room. My kids room was the same. Walk in closets with a free safe, bathrooms had a tub and a separate shower. My only issue with the rooms were the towels. After a shower and you have a towel on your face or somewhere close like that, I smelled BO on the towels! I thought at first "was it me?" but it really was the towels! Not sure what they were washed in but something needs to change!! Gross! One big positive was air conditioning..aaahhh! thank god for that! It was necessary with being in 38 C weather with 97% humidity! I was happy in my room!

There was a main restaurant, 2 smaller cafe style eating places and then al la carte restaurants. All were warm restaurants with the exception of the main restaurant which had 3 or 4 air conditioning units in a part of the restaurant. The one thing that bothered me about the restaurants was the lack of cooling around the food. There would be a nice selection of cheeses sitting on a marble slab but that was it so the cheeses were shining...that didn't impress me too much. If the chef was cooking chicken, it would be sitting beside him in the open and he would cook batches of it. I found all in all, the food was ok..not fantastic by any means but edible. tomatoes were pink and white (??) instead of red, the desserts would be sitting out getting soft...cakes, pastries, etc. ONly thing that would be in a cooler was the ice cream which was soft.

The beach was lovely! White sand that was brushed and cleaned but get out there early to get one. It was relatively quiet considering there were resorts on either side. Take a good SPF suntan lotion...I took 50 SPF and we still burnt.

You'll need bug spray for the evening. My daughter had a number of bites on her legs. We ended up going to the onsite Dr but with the language barrier (we thought bedbugs, they thought mosquitos), she just got treated with calamine and some meds. We weren't convinced about this but what can you do in a foreign country. I think if the Dr is treating foreigners, they need to make sure their English is decent. We were scrambling a bit trying to communicate the issue. Oh and this happened on the day of our departure!

There were nightly shows that were pretty good and there was entertainment on the beach everyday (the staff would actively walk around recruiting guests to get involved with the games, etc. and the response was really good) and in the main plaza area every evening there was a band with the dancers getting guests up to dance. Some vendors would be closely located to the plaza in the evenings.

As for gifts, I went to the dollar store to buy a bunch of gifts to give out to the resort staff...I also took some of my daughters old clothing as the "special" gifts. The cleaning lady got some smaller items since they receive the brunt of the gifts so I deliberately walked around giving clothing to those that would never get something...the gardener, the cleaning lady who cleans the lobby areas...they were so happy that I gave them something that they hugged me. I loved seeing their happy faces. If you want to make any Cuban happy, give them clothing/ shoes. This is a basic essential that they seem to have a tough time to afford. I gave some basic school supplies to the receptionist Wendy (she's awesome!) to give to her village..chalk, paper, erasers. It made her very happy. I would have done it myself however it wasn't school season so they were closed.

If we go back to Cuba, we would probably got closer to Havana to feel a bit more of the cultural side of the country. That is the one problem with being in the Varadero peninsula of resorts...50 resorts within 22km of each other...row after row of them. An all-in resort is great if you want to be pampered, hang out at the pool or beach and do an excursion or two. If you want purely a cultural experience, you need to stay elsewhere outside of Varadero.

Room Tip: Bldg 16-18 are closest to the beach. I would go for the higher roms to get a bit of a view and have...
3 Thank DutchLady2
GralManagerAlameda, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Playa Alameda Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Guest
We would like to thank you for your recent visit at our resort, and the time you took to share your comments with us.
We are glad to know that you enjoyed your vacation with your family at our installations; our staff is more than honored that they could give you an unforgettable experience. Your comments are more than welcome to help us to better our services in the point’s managed.
Our workers at the animation team are happy to know liked their hard work in the shows and also during the evening program at our alameda. It gives them even more motivation and ideas to improve our animation even more to our guests.
The Iberostar alameda team hopes to welcome you in the near future one more time.

Sincerely

GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

awesome place,clean rooms ,good food,buffet has a wide selection,hotel staff friendly.entertainment was nice only the timing was kind of early.best cappuccino coffee.
the beach was nice and clean,but sunbathing area kind of on the slope so its hard to relax as sunbeds kind of sit on the slope.
beach si good walk from the hotel.
gardeners very friendly ,serve you coconut for a dollar fresh from the tree.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank revanum
Dear Guest
The Iberostar Playa Alameda would like to thank you for your recent visit to our property.
We are more than proud that you enjoyed our great variety of food, entertainment and drinks at our resort. It gives us a big motivation to go on and make our services even better for our clients.
It will be a pleasure for us to welcome you once again in Cuba and in our hotel. Please do not hasitate to contact us if you have any request.

Best Regards,

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

This was our first time in Cuba, and if all I have to base it on was this resort I will never return. Upon arriving at 10 in the morning, we had to wait until our room was ready at 2 in the afternoon. When we did arrive at our room, it was damp and cool (the air conditioning was on, but the damp stays), and the room left a bit to be desired. We had asked for a third floor room (as we had sent them an email ahead of time), but were given a second floor room beneath a family of loud children and next to building renovations. The front desk staff were not too accommodating or friendly. Checking out the room, there were cracked tiles, mould in the bedding, furniture and curtains, the floors were dirty and the place smelled of dank must. The light in the bathroom flickered and clicked constantly and the glass shade looked like it could fall at any moment as it hung crooked from one side. Not entirely appealing for a five star; we didn't expect a palace, but a minimum of care and upkeep at least. Minibar was stocked every two days and bottled water was a rare commodity. We had to constantly ration and keep a backup bottle. We were upgraded to a 3rd floor room after three days of persistence. The room was a bit better (since we erased all expectations), except for the fuzzy, spikey mould in the closet due to a leaky air conditioner and the mildew on the curtains and in the safe and ceiling. The general impression we had on many occasions is that any questions to staff (where to get certain foods), or needs we may have had (an extra bottle of water, what time the buffet opens), were met with a sense that we were putting them out, or they were doing us the biggest favour, OR that we were taking up their time. The service staff (waiters, waitresses), were generous in giving attitude, and disinterest (unless a tip was involved every single time for every single thing), then they were ready to crack a smile. Most of the time we were met with suspicious looks from afar, blasé service and attitude. Only Lilianne and her station staff for the evening buffet were generous, gave excellent service and were friendly, chatty and left a lasting impression. Mileny of the maid staff was very nice as well. The food at the buffet was fair to middling (except for the unappetizing sight of the odd cockroach scurrying over the plates and the flies having a taste of everything that wasn't too hot; the heating lamps were hit and miss), and many dishes were repeated, not much choice and leftovers were often dressed up with more spices and presented the next day. Tablecloths were often stained and dirty as well as the cutlery. Breakfast would often include a few birds flying around, and settling in on the tops of nearby chairs and tables, eyeing your plate and threatening to snatch a bit of food. Some of he entertainment was amazing however, magicians and dancers; lots of fun. One show they did called "Ibero-Grammy", where they lip-synched popular numbers and the audience voted for their favourite, involved a clownish and tasteless mockery of Queen and Freddy Mercury that was so vile (pretending to sodomize him with the ends of their electric guitars and then kicking him down at the end and dragging him offstage), that I felt physically ill and couldn't believe this was a family resort; with so many children in the audience; I was stunned. The live band in the courtyard was amazing however, playing every night to a lively crowd for about an hour to an hour and a half. The beach was beautiful and it was nice to be able to walk along it for an hour or two along the other resorts, the water was excellent for snorkelling and watching the underwater life in bit deeper out. So in the end great beach, poor resort. They say it's a five star, but it's more like a VERY generous two star. So disappointing…this first visit will probably be the only visit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EricRoy08
Dear Geust
First of all thank you for your recent stay at our Hotel, and the time you took to share your impressions with us.
We are happy that you liked our large beautiful beaches and large garden areas, also our workers named in your comments are glad to hear that you enjoyed our services what we offered during your stay.
We already send your review to our departments, and be assured that our staff will do their best to make our food and service better . It is a great help for us to see were we have to work harder to satisfy our guest in their vacations.
We are truly sorry about any inconveniences you might have had and we regret that this situation might have affected your opinion about our hotel and our company.
We hope that we have the opportunity to offer you our service once again, to improve our Name and service to you.

Bolton, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

We travelled August 23-30 with Air Canada Vacations. Here goes the honest review people....
Air Canada: Never again. Sorry. We booked this hotel package and were NEVER told the hotel is under renovation. Our room was smack in the middle of the two buildings being renovated. The beach access was blocked from our building, so the "upgrade" really was in theory only. Our t.v did not work. I complained to the front desk and still 2 days later nothing was done. I finally went to our Air Canada rep Jorge, who was an awesome guy. He said it should be on the website that the hotel is under renovation. I told him I did not see that and no one mentioned it. I just checked now, and there is still nothing on the website on this hotel. So, the noise, jackhammering and whatever else they were doing is not conducive to a relaxing vacation. There is also debris on the walkway to the beach...nails, wood, glass...so be careful. A pole with fencing and plastic around it to block the construction was falling over and almost hit my son in the head. Not good. Jorge got us moved to another building which was nicer and quieter, but the construction is going on around the pool area so be warned.
Reception/Check In: Quick, polite. The reception workers and bell boys are all very kind and helpful. The reception is where you change your money also.
Restaurants: We ate at the buffets and snack bar. The pool snack bar workers are awesome...Mercedes, Frank Ernesto and the other 2 gentleman are attentive and kind. The pizza here is yummy and so are the sandwiches, hot dogs and hamburgers. The Cappuccinos are soooo good. I miss them already! I spoke to people who said the Italian Restaurant was really good also. The food in the buffet is ok. Not the best, but you won't starve. I was disappointed in the breakfast service. There is one waitress there who was very rude. I tipped her one day and she was fine. The next day I forgot to bring pesos but I do believe tipping is optional (insert sarcastic voice there). The day after that she totally ignored me and my boys...not bringing us juice or coffee. But she did make eye contact. Manu times! I sat in her area in the next morning and the same thing. She would look right at me and walk to other tables. I have NEVER experienced that in Cuba before and I go there a lot and have made many friends. I don't know her name but I am pretty sure she had a small tattoo on her wrist, and black hair. Every other worker I met were gems! The service is very good at this resort and no one else expected a tip. You got the same amazing service whether you tipped or not....and believe me I am a very good tipper.
Pool: Good for kids, no area is more than 4 feet. There is only 1 pool, no swim up bar. There is a little kid section there. I did notice that the pool was very dirty for 4 days during our stay. This included cups, straws, bandaids, tree parts, bugs. Very unsanitary. Again, I have never seen pools that dirty in Cuba before.
Beach: Beautiful. Crystal blue water, lots of beach chairs, and a beach bar. Excellent!
Animacion: This is where I feel the resort fell short. The animacion is at the beach all day and come to the pool at 4pm for dancing lessons and bingo. It is over by 5pm. There is music playing rather low the whole day but there is nothing to get you having fun during the day unless you are on the beach. The shows were ok, typical of the resorts...Cuban Night, Magic Show, Circus Show etc. The shows do start rather late at 9:45 pm. There are also bands playing at night which is really nice. You can have a drink or coffee in the square and listen to them. Very good!
Rooms: There is a stand up shower AND a separate bathtub in the rooms. There is a couch and a desk and a coffee table. The mini fridge was stocked every other day. The beds are ok but the pillows are like pancakes...super flat! The maids do a great job cleaning and they are very nice too!
So I would rate this hotel maybe a 3 star at the moment. Out of 10, I would rate our vacation a 7. I am happy I got to go to Cuba, but this resort (with the exception of the service) didn't do it for us. It is a nice hotel if you can put up with the construction or get a room far from buildings 14,15,16. I really expected more from the Iberostar brand. I would not return to this hotel in the future. Sorry Iberostar. But I do commend your workers ( with the exception of that one waitress) they really know how to treat patrons with the awesome Cuban Hospitality!

8 Thank cubamyheart
Dear Guest
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the hospitality, and friendliness of Cuba. Our team is proud to know that you liked the services that we offer also our kitchen staff is honored and your comments will help them to prepare even better dishes in the future. We will pass your comments to Mercedes, Frank and Ernesto, and to the rest of the staff, so they will know they have contribute to make your stay a great experience.
As we reading your review about the construction, we are sorry that you couldn’t enjoy your vacation 100%, but we are doing our best for our clients to maintain our grounds constantly.
We would be glad to welcome you back in the near future to improve our service to you once again.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

The first time I chose this hotel was actually 2 years ago in May 2011. I was impressed by how nice the resort was and how friendly people were . There was only one blonde woman at the reception acting a bit arrogant and speaking Spanish ,although she knew English , but I ignored that - maybe she was in a bad mood or who knows. I went with friends and we got a room on the ground , with view towards the pool .It was ok .No complaints . I don't eat too much , especialy when I am at the beach and it is hot , so the buffet was ok , I guess . What bothered me : there were flies and birds inside in the restaurand everyday and this was a bit annoying. I didn't try the milk or any other food choices that I wasn't sure would cause problems. I celebrated my birthday there , so waiters were so nice , they brought me Champagne , red wine , the manager of the entertainement team ,along with Tropicana Band sang "Happy Birthday ", so it was really nice and pleasant .
You can feel that you forget about work and you can relax 100%. If you want to visit Havana or to go outside of the resort ,there is a bus for tourists that stops right in front of the hotel + offers from sun wing vacation team , or west jet but a bit expensive . We chose swimming with dauphins , and I liked it , since it was the first time I was doing that .
I haven't been to another hotel in Varadero to compare , but for my first and second experience , I mainly have good things to say .
The second time , I had a room with Ocean view , building 15 ,from what I remember . And the only bad thing was that the day of our departure , there was a problem with the pipes ,and we had no water to shower , which was pretty major for a 4 and half star hotel . It happened once or twice to see cockroachs, which I hate , but the resort has a lot of vegetation , so it 's hard to avoid it ,I think .

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor , with ocean view . Building 15 .
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank ysa p
GralManagerAlameda, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Playa Alameda Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
On a behalf of the staff and management here at Iberostar Playa Alameda We would like to thank you for choosing our hotel to spend your holidays for the second time, thank you to send your comments on your experience at Playa Alameda.
Sorry to hear that some of our staff did not meet your expectative, since one of the priorities in our hotel is the courtesy, kindness from our staff to obtain our guest satisfaction.
We are truly sorry about any inconveniences you might have had and We want to express our sincere apology for the difficulties you encountered during your stay, we regret that this situation might have affected your opinion about our hotel and our company
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you are planning to visit us at Playa Alameda , It will be a pleasure to have you back and assist you in any request you might have

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

First time at this resort, good family resort. Most of the staff is friendly and make you feel welcome. Food is good if you're not a fussy eater. Entertainment on the beach is fun and the entertainers are friendly. The beach is awesome, there is a bar on the beach and the barman is a super nice guy. Evening shows are ok and the drinks are well done. It gets quite on the resort by 10pm. However the discoteca closes at 2:00pm, as well as the 2 bars. It's a good size resort to take evening walks in tranquility. Thumbs up, no smoking in the lobby. We enjoyed our family vacation and look forward to our next trip there.

Room Tip: Close to the beach is my pick.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank A F
Dear guest, on a behalf of the staff and management here at Iberostar Playa Alameda We would like to thank you for choosing our hotel to spend your holidays, thank you to send us your comments on your experience with us.
It is a pleasure to know that our staff have contributed to make your trip a great experience, one of the priorities in our hotel is the courtesy, kindness from our staff to obtain our guest satisfaction.

Lively, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

I visited the resort with a combination of friends and family from August 2nd to 9th. We flew with CanJet, through Air Transat. No issues with the carrier. Pick up at the airport went smoothly and our arrival at the hotel was seamless. I had emailed room requests and the staff very kindly accommodated us. The view from our requested adjoining was fabulous. There is lots of work going on around the hotel right now. It is apparent that the management and staff are working hard to refurbish buildings and landscaping. This had no impact on our holiday and I'm delighted to see $$ being invested in our favourite vacation spot. Since our last visit, there's been LOTS of work done on the beach. During our last visit there was about a 14 inch (30 plus cm) step down to get to the ocean from the chair area. Staff have graded the beach and the walk down to the water's edge is now very smooth. There was a great variety of food available in the buffet, always including a variety of fresh meats and pasta cooked how you like. We went to the Meditterean and Romantico restaurants and enjoyed both experiences. Service, in all areas of the hotel, was AS ALWAYS, beyond compare. From Raoul, the gardener, who provided us with floral bouquets and impromptu Spanish lessons, to the animation team, Alexis, Yudi, Edgar, and Henri who made every day exceptionally fun, to Yuri, Daima, Tony, Ysenery who kept us hydrated, and Edourado who started off our days with scrumptious omelettes and wonderful conversation....the front line workers at this hotel CANNOT be beat. Not to be forgotten...Wendy in guest services and the wonderful ladies at the front desk, sorry I didn't get your names, but I won't forget your friendly greeting each and every time I had a question. I recommend this hotel without hesitation and am counting the days until our return in August 2014. Please feel free to P/M me with any questions. BTW....if you are going to this hotel, please ask Daima if she is having a boy or girl and send me a message. She was to find out this week and I plan to bring some things for the baby on my next visit. Many thanks!!

Room Tip: Buildings 15 and 16 are close to the Ocean
5 Thank Finnmac66
On a behalf of the staff and management here at Iberostar Playa Alameda We would like to thank you for choosing our hotel to spend your holidays year after year, thank you to send us your comments on your experience with us and recommend us.
It is a pleasure to know that all our staff like Raul, Alexis, Yudi, Edgar, Henri ,Yuri, Daima, Tony, Ysenery and Edourado have contributed to make your trip a great experience.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you are planning to visit us at Playa Alameda next year, It will be a pleasure to have you back and assist you in any request you might have