“first trip to Cuba,not disappointed”

Iberostar Playa Alameda Hotel
Ranked #18 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed March 1, 2013

First trip for me and the wife,went to Varadero,Cuba,stayed at the playa Alameda hotel.Was a bit worried because of some reviews,but was amazed first minute i got there.The grounds are very well kept,the gardeners work hard everyday,can see them day and night.Beautiful flowers and trimmed bushes everywhere.I felt like i was walking in paradise.The front desk was very helpful,changed our room without a fuss,cause the first one had a bit of an odor,very clean though.Second room was perfect,in the building number 19,second floor.Elaine,our maid was amazing,everything was sparkling clean,and even arranged all our personal items in bathroom,very much apreciated.The employes were very nice,did all they could for us.Felt like a king for a week.The beach was beautiful,used the peddle boats a couple of times (they are free ).Only thing i could rag about was the food,couldnt find any fresh fruits,they had strange pineapples ,white and awful.The buffet was pretty big,but plain,had to take the pasta everynight,which was good.Took the tour bus (cost 5 cuc for all day) and had nice ride.The food in Varadero city was great,deliciuos pineapples sold on street corners,they cut the top off and pour rum in pineapple,after removing the middle part (which they let you eat).yum yum.Ate at several restaurants,all were good.Had great time in Cuba,thanks playa Alameda for everything.last note,traveled there from february 7 to 14, 2013,had best weather possible.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank rickythedad
GralManagerAlameda, General Manager at Iberostar Playa Alameda Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Dear Guest
On a behalf of the staff and management here at Iberostar Playa Alameda We would like to thank you for choosing and trust our hotel to spend your holidays, thank you to send us your comments on your experience with us.
It is a pleasure to know that have contributed to make your trip a great experience. ,
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you are planning to visit us at Playa Alameda It will be a pleasure to have you back and assist you in any request you might have

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Not a 5 star hotel, but we had no problems. air-conditioning didn't work one evening went to tell them next morning, come back from beach, repaired.
Old chairs but hey, we had chairs.
Room 3rd floor near beach,very clean, balcony was great
bummer: 1 toilet for beach(men and women) I went to my room.
We've been to Cuba 11 times, this is the GREATEST trip we've had.
The people at this hotel are all special. They are 5 star. They work at least 10 house a day and never do you find a sour face. From the painter Mario to the gardeners(my favourite Oscar) everyone is happy.
Ilene and the lobby staff, Wendy (guest service, great) Mandiola and his staff(beach front restaurant. Julie, Yenise, Josh, Uyan, Yudith and too many others serving our drinks.
Romantico(a la carte): food very good-Misladi, Ernesto, Anya (beautiful people)
Italiana (a la carte): don't have fish but other meals are good-Yarise (beautiful)
Buffet: very good and again Zuly, Edi, Yenziel ........
I could go on and on but you get the point.
We're going back next year to be with these guys, they made a difference. If you love human contact, this is it..

PS: Mr. Manager, take care of these employees, they are why we are going back and I don't
think we are the only ones who do so.

Lina and Pierre Quebec (10 to 24th of february, 2013) room 1705

I could go on and on

Room Tip: rooms 3rd floor near beach
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank 66martin
GralManagerAlameda, General Manager at Iberostar Playa Alameda Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2013

Dear Guest
It is a pleasure to know that Mario, Wendy, Oscar, Mandiola, Julie, Yenise, Josh, Uyan, Yudith, Mislady, Ernesto, Anya, Yarise, Zuly, Edy and the rest of our staff have contributed to make your trip a great experience. We are pretty aware our human resource it is one of the strongest points of our Hotel succes, Priority in our hotel is the courtesy, kindness from our staff, improvement of all our services and continuous work to obtain our guest satisfaction.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

The service at this resort was amazing...from our sweet little Wendy in reception...to our playful Yaciel in the Lobby bar...to Edwuardo at the breakfast station. These people served you from their hearts, always with big smiles and a sense of humor. Our maid service was impeccable and Gretchen always left us a note, a flower, and prepared something special with our towels or blankets. I called for room service twice and both times I swear they ran to our room the service was so quick..My husband and I even got to meet the groundsman George and Oscar who were so very friendly...Also Alex who worked security around the beach area was a pleasure to speak with. These people and many more were so gracious and humble and you can't help but want to be their friends. The entertainment was excellent ... The Star friends did an amazing job with all of the beach/pool games..exercising...dance lessons...Thank you Henry and friends...I believe Richard was the name of the gentleman in charge? We had a lot of fun everyday. I also met one of the managers..can't remember his name but I think he was from Mexico and he was very nice and made a big deal out of my birthday...:). The food at the buffet was O.K. But like they say .. It is Cuba...lots of great breads, butter, cheeses, and fixings for a great salad...the pasta bar was great...they need more variety for meats and vegetables during the evening meals....the beach is unbelievable...had so much fun in the ocean and walking the wonderful beach. MY ONLY CONCERN is that the resort itself needs a lot of TLC....it is the perfect size and has a great layout but it is showing signs of being run down .. I think the resort is like 12 years old and it needs to be "spruced up"..the fountains and water areas need to be cleaned...the concrete walk ways need repairs...the pool looks much better in pictures ... The rooms need some new linens and pillows...this could be a top notch resort if Iberostar invested in it's repair....This was 3rd trip to Cuba ... I love the people, I love the Ocean and beaches, I love the weather...I did stay at Sandals royal Hicacos twice before and did prefer the actual resort better..the pool there was so much nicer, as were the accommodations....again the people are all amazing!!....also a note for beach vendors ..only a couple with hats and awesome dresses which I did purchase but if a person said no they were not harassed at all....not like in Mexico!!...again the Cuban people are amazing!!

Room Tip: We were in building 19 ... On the third floor but second would have worked ... Thoses flights of sta...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank lovingtheocean

Dear Guest
On a behalf of the staff and management here at Iberostar Playa Alameda we would like to thank you for your review. we appreciate you had chosen our Hotel for your holidays.
It is a pleasure to know that our staff like Gretchen, George, Oscar, Ricardo, Henry and Alex have contributed to make your trip a great experience. Priority in our hotel is the courtesy, kindness from our staff, improvement of all our services and continuous work to obtain our guest satisfaction.
We are truly sorry about any inconveniences you might have had and we regret that this situation might have affected your opinion about our hotel and our company, A priority in our hotel is the improvement of all our services and continuous work to obtain our guest satisfaction, thank you very much for your feedback it will help us to improve.

Sincerely.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

This was mine and my boyfriends first trip to Cuba.. We arrived at this resort and as soon as we got there we were like this is a 4 star resort?? The lobby was nothing spectacular, then we went to our rooms which was in the 18th building on the bottom floor and the room stinked and was moldy. I sat on the couch and it was literally wet it was that damp in the room.. I went to change the room and they told me nothing was available till the next day. So the next day came and i went up to the main lobby again, there was still nothing available. I had to go to my west jet consultant and thank god she got us put in a different room.. This one was a little better, it was on the second floor and didnt smell so bad..
Our next experience was with the food, oh my good it was disgusting... They had the same things out for buffett everyday..None of the meat was cooked, even the hamburgers were raw. I literally almost starved for 7 days..Thank god for french fries,lol...
Also you need a converter on this resort cause the voltage is 220v, so i bought a converter and when i plugged it in it wouldn't work.. Just my luck!!!
Ok so a few things on the bright side were the people, they were all very friendly..The entertainment was pretty good to, there was something on the go every night.
Overall this experience wasnt a good one, i would not recommend this resort...Oh and the pictures on the interent are deceiving, you will see one there with a bridge with water under it, well there is no water there now only rocks, its looks awful. This is a old resort and certainly needs alot of upgrades. I have been to a 3 1/2 star resort in Mexico which was way better than this resort. Travellers dont waste your money here!!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank 31TravelGirl

Dear Guest
On a behalf of the staff and management here at Iberostar Playa Alameda we would like to thank you for your review. we appreciate you had chosen our Hotel for your holidays and We regret that you have not fully enjoyed our Hotel services.

Sincerely.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

We went to Cuba for our wedding; us and 17 others from across Canada. First off, IF you are planning to be wed in Cuba - please let me caution you, this is expensive and a VERY BIG pain in the behind. Do the legal ceremony in your country of origin and then the fancy, memorable ceremony in Cuba. We flew via Sunwing, will not go into details there, as this is a review for Playa Alameda but will go as far to say that I will investigate a different carrier the next time we go. I have been to Cuba 3x now and will certainly continue traveling there. This was my husband's first time as well as most of our guests.
The hotel presents itself well upon arrival and doesn't really let you down once you leave the lobby. We were there for two weeks (in the same resort). Our room was CLEAN, spacious and close to the beach, with a partial ocean "view" Rm.1706 was perfect for us. *One small complaint about the room... there was a coffee maker, mugs and all the fixings for your morning jolt of caffeine BUT actually getting some coffee for your room was next to impossible. All of the public washrooms were kept clean and I am pleased to say that there was ALWAYS toilet paper! We didn't all head down to Cuba as "Foodies" and on the whole there were no massive complaints about the food... it was always plentiful, sometimes repetitive but it was edible daily. We went packing our own bottles of hot sauce to perk things up.
The staff at the resort were amazing. And the perfect example why I (and now we) love Cuba.
Wendy, the lady who organizes the A La Carte restaurants for customers has a sharp sense of humour, kind smile and warm hugs. Top notch customer service from that lady. As you leave the lobby, there is a bar on your right "Santiago de Cuba", filled with vintage black and white photos and an amazing waitress, Yudith. It will take many years before I forget her attention to customer service and laughter! In the lobby bar look for Ady or Tony and they will do their very best to make you feel like family throughout your entire stay; I hold those two responsible for my sugar overdose in the form of a Tiger with double rum (yummy girlie drink). The pool bar has two waiters that must be mentioned, Yurisan and Adrien. These two love people and are loving people! They discovered that we were there for our wedding and insisted on giving US presents!
When you set up your A La Carte meals, the service in the Italian Restaurant rivals any 5 star here in Canada. Honestly, Yanet and Ariel (aka Casanova) are attentive, funny and kind.
The wedding was beautiful on the beach and the wedding planner was good. We were blessed with a windy day, so there was no overheating in my wedding dress. I will say, we had a stand in photographer and I am somewhat disappointed in the "professional" photos that were taken that day :-( On our wedding night, staff prepared a beautiful bath for me with flower petals and lovely bath oils... I didn't get to use it and that was the worst part (kind of...lol).
The beach was clean and not full of the disposable plastic cups/food plates! There were tons of shells to collect, we never had an issue in finding a beach chair. This beach is nice as it is somewhat divided in two sections with the bar in the middle.
We would love to return to this resort in 2013 for our first anniversary.
A few suggestions to bring for traveling to Cuba: travel mug, small bit of laundry soap, facecloths, hot sauce & afterbite.

Room Tip: We asked to be away from the pool and noise. Begged for an ocean view; somewhat received what we ask...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ChillyJillyBean

Dear Guest
On a behalf of the staff and management here at Iberostar Playa Alameda We would like to thank you for choosing and trust our hotel to celebrate such important day, thank you to send us your comments on your experience with us.
It is a pleasure to know that our staff have contributed to make your trip a great experience for you, family and your friends. Priority in our hotel is the courtesy, kindness from our staff, improvement of all our services and continuous work to obtain our guest satisfaction.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you are planning to visit us at Playa Alameda for your aniversary , It will be a pleasure to have you back and assist you in any request you might have.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Hi,

First of all, I gotta say that everything is clean (buffet, restaurants, rooms). Our maid did an excellent service.

The downsides are that the beach was very dirty, lots of rocks, broken seashells everywhere, always afraid to cut yourself as you walk on the sand. The food was okay on the first days, although it's very greasy and there's not much choice... After a few days, you always eat the same things...

Well, still had a nice trip, a few days of sun, and the pool was nice...

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank ethibault_13

Dear Guest, First of all we would like to thank you for your comments, on behalf of the Management and the entire staff of Iberostar Playa Alameda, we appreciate you had chosen our Hotel for your holidays; we regret that you have not fully enjoyed our Beach and our gastronomic offer, We are truly sorry about any inconveniences you might have had, each and every one of us is committed to ensure our guests experience the most enjoyable holiday

Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at this resort on day 3 of our vacation after 2 nights at a different resort. Suffice it to say the first resort was awful and we were so grateful that we could switch to this Iberostar!!!

This was our 3rd stay at an Iberostar resort including our wedding and my sisters wedding at different properties. LOVED this resort!!!!!! I truly have nothing negative to say other than the pillows were very flat. Staff was amazing!!!! Especially the ladies at the kids club. My son loved it there!!! We really liked that this resort is smaller and not as spread out. It was great that the shallow pool, playground and kids club were all in the same vicinity. We were able to claim chairs there for the day and both kids could swim, play on the playground, or attend the kids club all while within our view. Very easy to supervise.

Food was amazing in the buffet!!!!! We did not try any of the a la cartes. Probably the best buffet food we've ever had! Staff was excellent!!

Grounds were beautiful and clean. Always someone sweeping or cleaning something. Pools were great! Beach was beautiful!!! Too windy for the kids for the last 2 days but we enjoyed the time we did get to spend there.

Truly can not say enough good about this resort!!! They saved our vacation! We will only be booking Iberostar in the future!!!

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank NorthFamily4

Dear Guest
On a behalf of the staff and management here at Iberostar Playa Alameda We would like to thank you to send us your comments on your experience with us.
It is a pleasure to know that we have contributed to make your trip a great experience.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you are planning to visit us at Playa Alameda or any other Iberostar Hotel, It will be a pleasure to have you back and assist you in any request you might have