“I wanted to love it...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of IBEROSTAR Playa Alameda Hotel

IBEROSTAR Playa Alameda Hotel
Ranked #17 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Toronto, Canada
“I wanted to love it...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

I just returned from this hotel (Oct.14-21). This would be my 4th trip to Cuba, 2nd to Varadero. I can say that the rating of 10th is probably not accurate. Everything you want is there, it's just lacking.

Let me start by saying that the staff are out of this world. Very accommodating even with out tips. I would almost go back just for the staff. But the hotel does not go above and beyond for you. Forget sit down pool side service, or beach service.

Gardens need grooming, lights replaced, pool was very cloudy, then over chlorinated. Kids play structure had a rope hill to get up, parents of small children beware, they wont be able to climb it! The kiddies section pool is huge, with lots of chairs and shade to watch the children play. This part I loved :)

Rooms need painting from water damage, lots of broken everything (they are currently working on this, many buildings shut down for maintenance). I can confirm the cockroaches’ in the rooms, although ours was tiny and either dead or playing dead.

Beach was small but they shut it down this week to rebuild it so it should be gorgeous for anyone else, for us they opened it up in small sections, with no real services to compensate :(

Food, it was awful. Thank god for the omelets in the morning. Even the a la carts where terrible. But the service was amazing. It was almost funny, this 5 star service of over cooked slivers of beef or overcooked chicken.

I loved the idea of it, the small family friendly resort. In reality it felt tired and lacking. They need to step up and offer something else to compensate where they are lacking in order to remain competitive.

I will keep on eye on the reviews to see if they can offer something a little bit more creative before I return because I wanted to love it, just couldn't get past the lacking...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Beach_M0m101
GralManagerAlameda, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Playa Alameda Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Dear Guest, First of all we would like to thank you for your comments and your feedback, on behalf of the Management and the entire staff of Iberostar Playa Alameda, we appreciate you had chosen our Hotel for your holidays. yWe regret that you have not fully enjoyed our Hotel services, We are truly sorry about any inconveniences you might have had and we regret that this situation might have affected your opinion about our hotel and our company. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you are planing to visit us at Playa Alameda or any other Iberostar Hotel, It will be a pleasure to have you back and assist you in any request or concern you might have.

Sincerely

Juan Pablo Fortun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

This resort is beautifully landscaped but needs more lighting on the pathways for evening and night time. We had our own flashlight. The food is plentiful but usually the same everyday. Even in the a la cartes the food was often the same as in the buffet, just ordered from a menu and personally served. The chefs need better condiments and more ingredients to create tastey sauces etc. and since the beef is butchered differently, it is almost impossible to get a tender cut. With just a few changes they could improve the food immensely. They are totally dependent upon what has been ordered and then what is actually delivered. The beach is moderately wide, with good sand but could be kept a little cleaner. There were some used plastic cups, straws etc not cleaned up from one day to the next. The beach bar has the most popular drinks but not all and the beach lounge-chair service seemed non-existant. The humidity is very high at this time of year, consequently the rooms have that very musty smell and for the first few nights the bed linens feel damp. Also the beds are very very low to the floor.
The best part of this resort is their staff. Everyone, without exception, was friendly, helpful and eager to please. We must make special mention of Wendy in guest services. She is a true professional at her job. Wendy speaks English fluently (most staff can converse in English), French and some Italian. Wendy is the "Go To" person to get something done. She explains all the activities in the resort and also what activities you can see outside the resort. If you have a special occassion to celebrate, i.e. Birthday, Anniversary or any other special event, Wendy is the person who will do all the organizing to ensure your event is just how you would like to have it. She is personable, efficient and professional. We would give this resort a rating somewhere just below a 4 star but more than a 3 1/2 star. We would definitly go back to Cuba but would try a different resort next time.

Room Tip: A/C units are silent, rooms on ground floor are very convenient but don't get a breeze on the pa...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Bonnie K
Dear Guest
On a behalf of the staff and management here at Iberostar Playa Alameda we would like to thank you for your review and feedback about some issues you had in our hotel. Priority in our hotel is the improvement of all our services and continuous work and thanks to the feedback you gave us we have more tools to obtain our guest satisfaction . Please do not hesitate to contact us if you are planing to visit and give us other oportunity to serve you or any other Iberostar Hotel, It will be a pleasure to have you back and assist you in any request you might have

canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

rooms are so smelly and old...towels in rooms...you dont want to use it...
shows are not very good...but so loud!!!

drinks and coffee...are very good
service is great
Food is good...but remember U r not going to Cuba for food...
beach is amazing,,,awesome ....fantastico...

I know its short review, but enough to know before booking....

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
12 Thank tanbev
GralManagerAlameda, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Playa Alameda Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Guest, First of all we would like to thank you for your comments, on behalf of the Management and the entire staff of Iberostar Playa Alameda, we appreciate you had chosen our Hotel for your holidays. yWe regret that you have not fully enjoyed our Hotel services, We are truly sorry about any inconveniences you might have had and we regret that this situation might have affected your opinion about our hotel and our company. . Each and every one of us is committed to ensure our guests experience the most enjoyable holiday

Sincerely

toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed at the Iberostar Playa Alameda from Sep 29 - Oct 6. Just to let you know I am a very frequent traveller, I have been to the caribbean over 15 times, europe, 42 states, all over Canada and a graduate of travel and hospitalities. We booked based on tripadvisors rating of this hotel being 10 out of 57 in Varadero, they are wrong.

When we arrived we were given the honeymoon suite and accompanied by a bottle of sparkling wine from management. This was a really nice gesture. As we looked around the room we noticed a broken bathtub with no plug, broken curtains hanging off the track, and a broken tv that only got 9 channels(3 spanish, 5 blurry that you couldn't see, and 1 english). We figured we wouldn't spend too much time in the room so we let that stuff go. As the week went on we noticed ants all over, cockroaches, mosquitoes and frogs in the room. As I looked to see where all these creatures were coming in from I noticed an open duct in the closet ceiling with 1 1/2 inch gaps in it where bugs were crawling through. So this being the honeymoon suite I couldn't understand how they could let all this go, and I forgot to mention how instead of a king bed in the honeymoon room they had two double beds pushed together (how romantic).

The hotel property - nice but could be better groomed, and the property was nothing special, the pool was great but did not have a swim up bar. Also please if you go here wear shoes around the grounds and pool area, I noticed broken glass everywhere and wasn't cleaned up until a day later. Another thing, Hey Iberostar at night time your resort gets dark and I see you have all these lights everywhere but no lightbulbs in the lights, seriously use some damn common sense and replace the lights so people know where there going and not walking on your walk ways where there's broken glass everywhere.

The food - absolutely horrible, the same thing for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for the whole week, common guys your rated a 4 1/2* this is unacceptable. I understand that Cuba is poor but this was just ridiculous, I should not have to go into town to get something decent to eat. If a poor local can serve me a great meal I'm sure a major hotel chain can do the same. The a la cartes were a joke, we were told that we can't go because they were all booked up for the week but then I showed the rep the part where they guarantee their guests 3 a la cartes per week and he magically put me in for 3 nights, when we went to the a la cartes there were only 3 families in the restaurants, so how did they not have room? especially when we were told by a bar tender that there was only 180 people at the resort. So we get are meals at the romantico restaurant only to be brought out what was at the buffet only on a fancy plate. The Italian restaurant was ok but it had more seafood on the menu than the Mediterranean restaurant, and the only thing Italian at the Italian restaurant was lasagna. As bad as the food was I can say that at least none of us or anyone we talked to got sick.

The beach - absolutely disgusting, hey iberostar you got 8-10 employees hanging around at the towel return doing nothing how about you give 5 of them a rake to go clean the garbage and seaweed off the beach this will give them something to do instead of asking the guests to go get them rum every 5 minutes.

Cigars - The reason I went to this resort is because I heard they had a cigar store, well guess what, guest aren't allowed in. No we have to look in a little book and tell the store clerk what we want and if you want to know the price of a cigar they have to run in their little locked cigar room every time you need to know a price or to see if they have the cigar in stock.

Disco - DJ played great music but out of the 7 nights I stayed here I'd say 5 nights the disco had absolutely no one in it. Im serious, no one.

Shows - Lame. The Band is more concerned with selling their cds to the guests and getting us to get them rum.

Drinks - Great, the lobby bar was fantastic, the coffees were great, they actually have some really good brands of alcohol, the waitresses/bartenders were all amazing and they work so hard. The Cuban people are so amazing and such happy people.

A great touch to this resort is the stray dog they let live on the resort that comes begging for food and looks like he's dying. This dog is there everyday and I have know idea how management does not do anything about this.

Maid service was awesome, every day there was a towel sculpture on our beds. Thanks Elaine.

Eventhough we had all these set back we still had a good time, I am rating the Iberostar Playa alameda low in hopes that tripadvisor puts it lower on the list because I don't want people to spend their hard earned money here and not get what they expect like I did. I have been to 3 1/2 star resorts in Cuba that are a lot better than this resort. I am very disappointed with the Iberostar Playa Alameda and will not return, I probably won't return to any Iberostar after this.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
13 Thank tmlleafer
Dear Guest, First of all we would like to thank you for your comments, on behalf of the Management and the entire staff of Iberostar Playa Alameda, we appreciate you had chosen our Hotel for your holidays; we regret that you have not fully enjoyed our Hotel, each and every one of us is committed to ensure our guests experience the most enjoyable holiday. After reading your comment about the cigar store I spoke with the store manager and they told me that they have to be very careful with the cabin were they have the Habanos because people some time want to handle and touch the tabaco or enter with strong perfumes and tabaco absorbs that odor,
We really appreciate your feedback about some issues with the staff and services, this will help us to take some actions to improve our services and satisfy all our guest
We are truly sorry about any inconveniences you might have had and we regret that this situation might have affected your opinion about our hotel.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

Kudos to Yurisan at the laguna bar and Pepe on the beach for fantastic and friendly service. These guys really add to the Cuban experience and truly work hard for their money.

The hotel rooms are nice, although don't stay on the ground floor if you are afraid of creepy-crawlies. Beach is nice, pool is nice. The gardeners are also very friendly and we tipped them a peso to get a fresh coconut for the juice! Delicious!

Food is not great, however. The meat is a little bit off, and the fruit selection is not the best quality. Otherwise, had a great time here! Staff were very friendly and kind.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the ground floor - lots of insects, especially during hurricane season.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank thatgirlyouknow
Dear Guest
On a behalf of the staff and management here at Iberostar Playa Alameda we would like to thank you for your nice review. It is a pleasure to know that Yurisan and the gardeners have contributed to make your trip a great experience, Please do not hesitate to contact us if you are planning to visit us at Playa Alameda or any other Iberostar Hotel, It will be a pleasure to have you back and assist you in any request you might have

Juan Pablo Fortún
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

We enjoyed our 14 day stay .The staff were gracious,kind&talented.Jannior at the service desk had a bottle of bubbly sent to our room. for my mom,s 90th birthday. Marianela our breakfast waitress had a surprise cake made for mom.The gardener Alberto gave us fresh coconut to sip.Maids were Yelenns very talented,yet, they were switched often. Thanks to Viviana for lunchs. Laura for booking our2 day Habana tour one.must see the city if even for 1 day.The beach was gorgeous. The food good. Ariel ,Alexander, Yamile, Yilena & so many more thanks again.Oh, and late night storms. This is also a good place for children. There could be a few more benches along the path & more lights on the path too.

Room Tip: we liked our 3rd floor room1118 it was quite.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Rosi J
Dear Guest
On a behalf of the staff and management here at Iberostar Playa Alameda we would like to thank you for your nice review. Priority in our hotel is the improvement of all our services and continuous work to obtain our guest satisfaction. It is a pleasure to know that our personal have contributed to make your trip a great experience, we will congratulate all the persons you have mentioned Please do not hesitate to contact us if you are planning to visit us at Playa Alameda or any other Iberostar Hotel, It will be a pleasure to have you back and assist you in any request you might have

Juan Pablo Fortún
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

Choosing this hotel as final station of our 2 weeks roundtrip in Cuba was a really good choise. Staff is more than kind, really take care of the tourists. Food is absolutely fine (have some typical cuban style food, but who doesn't prefer it can found many international taste too), cocktails quality is on a very high level, with a wide range of selection. All the hotel is very clean, rooms are comfortable .Beach is wonderful (comparing it to Trinidad,where see was like thermal see with some strange scent). Night shows are well organized, about 1,5 hs long with good dancers, singers. If you want to spend your holiday in a well organized hotel, with a beautiful beach, it worth to choose this one. But do not forget, Varadero is for tourists, you can not really know the real Cuba. You can talk about Cuba wih the hotel staff, but really worth to see the in other cities the people, life and think.

Room Tip: this is not a big hotel buidling, but more friendly smaller houses. Two levels buildings with a few...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Adrienn N
Dear Guest
On a behalf of the staff and management here at Iberostar Playa Alameda We would like to thank you for choosing our hotel to spend your holidays, thank you to send us your comments on your experience with us. Priority in our hotel is the improvement of all our services and continuous work to obtain our guest satisfaction. It is a pleasure to know that our personal have contributed to make your trip a great experience. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you are planing to visit us at Playa Alameda or any other Iberostar Hotel, It will be a pleasure to have you back and assist you in any request you might have

Juan Pablo Fortun
Also consider these accommodations in or near Varadero
Sol Hotel
Royal Palms
Royal Palms
#1 of 3 in South Hill
Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas Resort

Been to IBEROSTAR Playa Alameda Hotel? Share your experiences!