“Its worth the price ... as long as its low”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Breezes Varadero

Breezes Varadero
Ranked #19 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Thunder Bay, Canada
“Its worth the price ... as long as its low”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

My review is high, because i got a good deal. If I would have paid full price I would have been disappointed. This is a SOLID 3 star hotel. Its got a great buffet, happy people, a good lounge, a good night club ( good ) and its a small cozy hotel. the beach is nice but the chairs are old and uncomfortable. The pool is nice and small and once again the chairs need a lil love but in general the stay was nice. The room was nice, the beds a little hard, the tv had only 4 channels working( CNN MARATHON ) but in general our balcony was a nice place to sit on. I got the hotel for 900 each and it was worth that deal. Any more, and I would be kinda worth it to go to a higher star hotel like the other ones I have reviewed.

Room Tip: Hotel is small and cozy, any room will do. If you like quiet DO NOT stay in the section with night c...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank roberto r

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (636)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Hudson, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

I stayed one week here as a single retired woman. The age group was between 50 and 75 mostly. no kids which suited me as I work weekly at a part time job with kids so needed the break! The grounds were lovely with flowering shrubs everywhere. I had a room in the Junior Suite building but wouldn't go back to that location. The hotel Tuxpan next door is unbelievably noisy with loud speaker activities and music almost every night. I would chose a Garden Suite on my next trip which I hope will be next winter! I would definitely go back to this Hotel.
The only real negative was lack of evening entertainment..unless you call a Magic Show...Cuban entertainment. Another night was a movie...Star Wars....and another night had a Casino night which I didn't go to either. I wanted some Cuban music and dancers every nite!!
Anyway all in all it was a super great week with hot sunny weather and pretty good food and booze! Beautiful beach and aquamarine ocean!

Room Tip: Unless you love heavy booming disco...don't stay in the Junior Suites unless on the inside facin...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Val M
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

If you take the time to learn some spanish basics, tip (even the basic amount), and are kind to the staff, they treat you like royalty. Honest to God royalty.

I can't say enough about it. It was recommended to me by a friend who went before me, and I'm going back with friends.

Room Tip: Get a room as close to the pool as possible, it's the central part of the complex, and it's...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Chris J
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

We have been to Cuba 6 times (staying 6 different places) and enjoyed every visit including out stay at Breezes.
This resort is great if you are already well travelled in Cuba and understand the culture. Cuba is a tropical, third word country. Read about the country before you come and find out if it is for you. Learn some Spanish. The people working at the resort earn about 20 CUC a month (about $24 Canadian). The resort is their idea of luxury - it may not be yours.

Take anything you cannot live without, be resourceful, have some compassion, and use your intelligence. Don't be afraid of getting some exercise (overly obese or infirm people will have problems here as elsewhere in Cuba). Food tastes best if you are hungry - not if you are on your 5th piece of pizza, 4th croissant, third helping of French fries and second round of ice cream. Honestly, the amount of overeating coupled with complaining about the food was just bizarre. Buy some rum at the store if you want to bombed - less than $5 for a pint.

Examples of the kind of resourcefulness you will need to have a good time: If you don't want birds on your table, take turns getting food so you can shoo them off. Go first thing when the buffet opens for best food, freshness, and lack of birds. Use insect repellant. Take calamine lotion, aloe vera lotion, and cortisone dream. Bring spoons, washcloths, Kleenex and (extra) toilet paper. Use the ashtray or some plastic as a bathtub drain.

What is the big deal with some travellers about tipping?. At a $1200 a week per person resort (less on a sale), $80 worth of tips is nothing to spend ($1 for meals, 50cents for drinks, $1 or 2 each day for the maid, $1 per bag, etc.). If you were earning $24 Canadian a month - you would work for tips as well. Also, many Cubans are proud people - if you insult them, tipping will not make up for it and they will not serve you at all.

If you have a complaint, take it to the front desk and present your solution (not just a complaint). For instance, If the beach vendors are bothering you, go to the front desk and ask that they direct beach security to move them off. If you don't like your room in the "Nolitour" building, ask to upgrade -$70 each for a garden suite. Etcetera.

I agree with other comments on here that if you don't like Breezes Varadero, you are best off going to a different country. The most luxurious places on Cuba (we have been) cost twice as much and still don't live up to the standards of the folks who rated this resort as terrible or poor. For $10,000 each, you can go to Antigua. Costa Rica, or St. Lucia and be treated like you think you deserve. Have a great trip.

Room Tip: garden view suites
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
25 Thank Anne B
Dartmouth, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

This was my third trip to Cuba and my first time at Breezes Varadero. The resort is conveniently located on a beautiful beach and we were able to walk along the beach into Varadero which is a definite plus for me. The grounds are well kept by a hard working staff and a jaunt around the resort is like walking through a tropical garden. The reception staff were quick to deal with any issues, able to answer any questions, and were friendly and efficient. I had requested a room on the second floor with single beds but this was not available when we arrived. However we were moved the next morning to a lovely second floor suite near the pool with a view of the ocean through the palms. It was large and the maid worked hard to keep it very clean. We were very pleased with these accommodations. The beach is beautiful and we were pleasantly surprised to find palapas available any time we went there. In other resorts I have had to be up at 6:30am to secure shade but here we found palapas available even after we returned from morning tours around noon. There are a large number of palapas and they are making more. A definite plus!! The pool area is a great place to relax, have a drink, and enjoy the many activities. The bar staff is friendly, quick, and efficient. We particularly enjoyed our mojitos and cappuccinos by the pool. We did not go to the nightly entertainment so I cannot comment on that but we did enjoy evenings in the main lobby. I would have to agree with others that the food in Cuba is generally not as good as other Caribbean destinations. However it was much better here than at other resorts I have visited. Breakfast buffet was good with great omelettes, fresh rolls, a selection of cheeses, and fresh pineapple. The lunch selection was also good with shredded vegetables, French fries, grilled meats, pasta, cheeses and great breads. We also ate at the grill by the beach. The cook there was very nice and was happy to cook me a very well done burger. I don't know where the burgers come from but they are similar to the frozen ones you buy at SuperStore in Canada. Not great but OK. However the toppings of sliced tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, sweet green peppers and onions make it a good choice. We always found something to eat at the evening buffet but found the food to be somewhat bland and unappealing. I do admit that I am a fussy eater. We ate at the Cuban and Italian restaurants and the food there was excellent. The Cuban was our favorite but only because we enjoyed the atmosphere there a bit more with the Cuban band and the customers singing and dancing. It looks like the resort is making an effort to improve the food and they are definitely on the right track. The staff at any resort is crucial to an enjoyable vacation and the staff here is excellent. I would recommend this resort highly and will definitely return.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
9 Thank Toby0
BVRA, Guest Relations Manager at Breezes Varadero, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for posting your opinions regarding your holidays in our resort.
In regards to the food, the details provided are very valuable and will certainly allow us to improve the standards.
We are very happy to know that you love the hotel, will come back and will recommend it.
We are looking forward to seeing you again.

Regina, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

We love this resort! This was our second trip to Breezes, and loved it even more then the first trip. Two weeks in paradise with the warmest people in the world how could we not enjoy the time we had there.
As I have said this was our second time here so we knew what to expect yet they seem to exceed even that. From the start we had requested two rooms next to each other as my mother had joined us this trip. We had emailed Lizbeth (customer relations) with our request and she placed us in rooms next to each other in a beautiful location in building I.
Within the first day we had reconnected with several people we had met our first time at Breezes and each one of them greeted us with open arms and big smiles. The workers at Breezes are perhaps the biggest reason we wanted to return. To mention just a few we have had the pleasure to get to see again, Gladys in the buffet bar, Roberto and Angela from Las Dunas bar, Carlos who seemed to be everywhere, Dayami in the main buffet, Andy who made our omelets every morning, Humberto (who got a well-deserved promotion) in the buffet kitchen, Pedro and Vladamier in Martino’s. These people seem to want to go out of their way to make sure we had anything we needed or wanted.
Two weeks in Cuba is never enough time to enjoy all it has to offer. From just laying on the wonderful beaches enjoying the sun, to heading into town to shop and have lunch at Casa de Chef or some other place. Smiling faces is what one see’s from morning till night. The only time we did not see these smiles is when we had to tell them we were heading home. But that wonderful smile returned once we told them we will defiantly be back again next year or sooner if we can.
I always ask on these reviews if I would return. As for Breezes, it is not if I would, but how soon can I. I miss this place already and cannot wait till I can plan next year’s trip and of course it will be to Breezes Varadero.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
9 Thank Trainer019
Dear Valued Clients,

Thank you for your loyalty to our resort & for sharing your holiday experience with the readers.

The client’s satisfaction is our main goal therefore your comments are a great inspiration for our staff.

The staff members mentioned will certainly appreciate your comments.

You are always welcome in our resort.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

We are a young couple. Really enjoyed our stay. Especially when coming back at the airport hear other people experiences described as terrible in other hotels... Breezes has big very well laid out territory like a botanical garden with various plants. Beach is amazing and always space can be found. Entertainment was good and not too intrusive in the mornings. In the evening we enjoyed shows at the restaurants, aquatic show, casino night. On Friday night they have gala-with lobsters, on Tuesday Cuban night with whole roasted pig. A la carte-Italian and Cuban were also nice. Food of course could have been better comparing to Mexico. We tried to avoid "prepared mixed dishes" and took grilled fish or meat with fresh salads and it worked out well. The have a food manager from Dominican who is trying to bring up the level. Pasta station is nice, omelettes in the morning. For breakfast there are always fresh fruits or you can ask for a fresh smoothie to be made in front of you. Our room was very big- like a suite or 2 bedroom apartment with two dens apart from main bedroom. The service was average, unless you want to tip for every drink you get-which a lot of people did... We took a tour to Havana- Havana especial for 141 CUC-the bus was small and we had people both english and spans so had to listen to everything twice. I thought that the tour of havana could have been more fast and we could have seen much more during the whole day we had. Overall in Breezes it is mostly Canadians 45+ but some people from Europe too. Definitely a hotel to consider for your vacation in Cuba-no major complaints, good memories.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Yuliya2008
Dear Valued Guests,

We are in receipt of your comments regarding your holidays with us.
It is nice to hearing that you really liked the resort. Since customer’s satisfaction is our main priority the client’s opinions are very valuable for us.
We will continue working on the issues mentioned to make your next holiday experience even better.
Thank you for posting your comments.
We are looking forward to host you in a near future.