This was our second trip to Cuba; the resort was what we expected given the reviews we read except for one pleasant surprise. Breezes is definitely showing its age. We had to move our room once because of deficiencies (lights not working, no power to bathroom plug-in, broken toilet and excessive noise. They had no problem accommodating us and the second room was fine.
Over all the resort was clean and well maintained. The staff was friendly and helpful. The two negative aspects were the food and the entertainment. The food at the buffet was always the same and some hot dishes were cold. They lacked imagination in varying the main courses. The Ala Cart restaurants were marginally better. The entertainment consisted of a group of young people who ran the pool activities (Bingo??) and the nightly entertainment which of consisted mainly dancing with audience participation.
The positive - The best Stretch of beach in all of Varadero. Beautiful white sand, clean clear water, lots of chairs in sun or shade.
The pleasant surprise- We had toured Havana on our last visit (7- years ago) with the standard hotel tour people (Transat) this time we tried a private tour guide recommended by a co-worker of my wife. The previous tour was crowded and did not allow for personal preferences.
My Wife phoned the tour guide from our room (1 peso) and arranged for a pick up at 8:00 am the next morning. The next morning an air conditioned taxi showed up with our tour guide (Ramiro) and a driver. We had a driver and a guide at our disposal for 10 hours for the same price as the hotel tour! (lunch not included)
Ramiro is a native Cuban and was a history professor in his previous career. He spoke perfect English and talked non- stop on the two hour drive to Havana. Besides his vast knowledge he has a great sense of humour and we enjoyed his personal perspective on life in Cuba. We hit all the highlights and then tailored the trip to our interests. I would HIGHLY recommend this tour guide service to anyone wanting to venture outside the resort.
Photo-Art Tours : RAMIRO
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Los Cactus is a Super-Inclusive Resort for adults -singles and couples 12 years and older , where all meals, wine, local and international beverages, water sports, land sports with equipment and instruction, entertainment and other activities are included in one single price. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cancelon, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hotel Los Cactus reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Breezes Varadero Hotel Varadero
- Breezes Hotel Varadero
- Varadero Breezes Hotel
- Breezes Varadero Cuba
- Superclubs Breezes Varadero Hotel