“Our Opinion”

Hotel Los Cactus
Ranked #19 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
“Our Opinion”

Stayed December 13 - 20, 2013

We have been to this resort 10 times and we keep coming back because of the staff. Some changes have occurred with newer tables, chairs and loungers around the pool which is nice. The new chairs aren't as comfortable as the older ones because of the style. The food at the Buffett is repetitive day in and day out, but we know that going and we manage to find something to eat, the wait staff are excellent. The a la carte restaurants are always good for a change in style and have a different level of service.

If I could change one thing at the resort it would be the level of cleanliness I want to explain this in a little more detail.
Rooms - cleaned yes, however, if you look around you will see mold or mildew on the bathroom walls and ceiling, I don't think it would take to much effort to clean this up, some walls in the room ie closet doors have been painted over it instead of cleaning it first. This is just an observation that would make it better.

The Buffett, yes they have birds flying around this doesn't bother us what bothers us is that almost all of the chairs have bird droppings on them, they need to be cleaned daily in the week we stayed I don't think they were cleaned once. Another thing is table settings, if any utensils at your seat appeared not be used they are left on table for next guest. So if one of your forks wasn't used when you leave it's left and used for next guest.

It's a great resort one just needs be aware of the standards used.

12 Thank Accountnut

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Toronto
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Nice and quiet resort with beautiful landscaping/vegetation. The resort, in my opinion is geared towards older tourists/couples and their teenage kids, who are mostly returning guests who stayed in this resort quite a few times so if you are single you may want to stay at other resorts.

Service is excellent, people are friendly and nice regardless of tipping, food is good with relatively good selection/variety, the hotel is clean throughout. The only issue is the birds are flying in the buffet and if you leave your food on the table and go get something else there is a chance that you will share food on your plate with them. For me it wasnt a problem, actually it was nice to see them.

I left my bag on the beach and went to Varadero for a walk when I came back it was late and there was nobody on the beach except for security. I couldnt find my backpack so I asked security guy he contacted someone by radio and they directed me to the Reception. I was able to retrieve my backpack there and I had to sign for it in their log.

Be aware that Block A "Nolitours" section has Disco with loud music till 2am which is quite noisy if you trying to sleep. Also, be careful with pation door, you can lock yourself out since locking mechanism can be unlocked only from inside. If you do that then you would need to jump over to another balcony and bother another guest to let you through their room.

Animation team was great but people who are older guests preferred quiet time and wasnt interested in activities... was surprised to see that their teenage kids were quiet too. Apparently, this hotel has singles weeks in September and October and thats when the fun begins.

Overall I think its a good combination of quality, location and value.

Room Tip: stay in block C
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank Papiyo P
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We were at Breezes Varadero over the Christmas Holiday (7 days)...and were absolutely delighted. We are from Canada and go to Cuba annually. We have tried several Varadero Hotels (Blau, Melia, Allegro/don't go there!), 1 in Holguin and Breezes Jibacoa (closer to Mantazas). What caught our eye in past reviews, someone mentioned "Hotel with Cuban charm", was true. Of note there: best beach on that stretch, lots of chairs and palapas, beautiful mature gardens, clean, very nice multilingual staff, lots of good food, including ribs at lunch time one day, 2-storey buildings, quaint, clean, we had a suite-lovely!, close to Varadero, If you are looking for a more peaceful holiday, this is a kids free hotel, do not hesitate to book. The mature gardens are filled with brand new swings, hamacs, there are several terrasses and nooks. What comes through here, this is a gem of a hotel by Cuban standards (Breezes was first inclusive-concept there I think) which has been maintained (new patio doors, new AC equipment, they have been investing here). Keep in mind that there are several authentic excellent restaurants in Varadero if you need variety one night. And Havana has some of the best restaurants in the Caribeans...if you can take the trip and explore on your own. Hasta Luego! p.s. people, please stop complaining about the food! Most of you don't know how to cook anyway! LOL

Room Tip: We had Suite #271 - there are no Ocean View per say, but you can see the ocean from that block. We p...
9 Thank Jo P
Halfmoon Bay, Canada
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We decided to fly all our grown children together for Christmas in Cuba. It was a beautiful, memorable and relaxing holiday celebration. Breezes is a beautiful location, the white sand beach stays flat and soft even in big wave weather, the garden grounds have many amazing different kinds of plants and trees to appreciate, I loved the buffet eating area with its bright yellow open air arrangement , and the soft lighting on the grounds at night. The staff is very professional, hard working, and friendly, taking time to share and help us to improve our very basic Spanish. Thank you for making us feel so welcome. We had 6 different kinds of eaters in our family and each of us found food that was very good and satisfying. I am a vegetarian so for me the breads were fresh and delicious, the cheeses interesting and very good, and in the heat of every afternoon I enjoyed the simplicity of grated purple cabbage, fresh grated squash, fresh cucumber and fresh tomatoes. I liked the Cuban black beans and rice as well. My husband who eats everything tried it all. While there are animated activities, our choice as a family was to enjoy the beach, the quiet nooks with hammocks, play tennis and snorkel. There are excellent Cuban musicians playing every night and the Christmas show was a gift to us all, I especially enjoyed that there were children performing. Thank you to the children! The only change I would make next time is to prebook a room in a quieter area of the resort away from the resort next door. Our three grown children and daughter in law all agree that we would definitely return to Breezes again and would like to visit more of Cuba too.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Denise610
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Nice hotel, amazing beach!!
I read the negative reviews and couldn't understand them, the food was fine for what it was you won't starve, you're not going to get 5* service in Cuba!
Amazing beach, amazing people go and see it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Tom99611139
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed December 27, 2013

For anyone considering a trip to Cuba ad have never been, do not hesitate! We found the country, the beach, the hotel, the people, everything very agreeable and worth every penny to get there.

Now for the details. we left home during blizzard conditions and flew with Transat, albeit a few hours behind schedule due to the storm. To our delight and surprise we were provided a hot meal by Transat! Very appreciated since we had brought snacks for the trip in our carry-on. These were retained for the stay in Cuba.

Upon arrival all went well through Customs and we were soon on the bus to the resort. Half way to the resort the bus had mechanical issues and we sat roadside while the driver and tour guide assessed alternative plans with the driver ultimatley fixing the bus himself.

We arrived at te resort a full 12 hours after getting to our home airport, tired and a little dragged, but WARM!! The check-in staff was efficient and welcoming. Our room selection was provided to us and we were assisted to our room by staff. I would recommend as the resort, although not large, is quite confusing in the dark on first exposure. We were advised by the bellman that owe would be pleased with our room. I had requested a king size bed ahead of time and when we entered the room were please to find a king sized bed, an additional sitting room, a full and a half bathroom, two balcony doors onto a massive patio. We were provided with a coffee maker, that did not work, and a fridge with a bottle of water. We mentioned the coffee maker issue to front desk staff and it was replaced within minutes! Water does NOT appear every day. However, it is available in the gift shop for a pittance.

The food at the resort was what we expected. The buffet had a good assortment of fruits and daily selections but I do recommend one avoind the beef...it is not palatable. The fish is excellent and we were served lobster during Seafood night. Go every day and look for something you will emjoy and do NOT expect gourmet. One needs to recall the team thee is cooking for 400 people so it is not al a carte, blue ribbon, gastronomy. The additional restaurants served Italian, Cuban, and outdoor grill. All very good and there is alos a beach side grill where we had burgers etc daily.

The only complaint I would have specific to the food is a lack of really good coffee in the buffet restaurant. We remedied this by visiting the poolside bar and had fresh pressed Americanos with us when we sat at our table.

The beach, the water, the weather, spectacular. The sand is powdery, the profile of the shore allows you to walk out for a 100 yards and the water was warmer than the hotel pool. There are plenty of loungers and we found the covered palapa with two twin beds....get up early for one of those choice spots.

We visited Havana and of course Varadero, but we didn't pursue much else opting for relaxing by the pool and enjoying a Legendario, or six. You must try that little elixir when there.....amazing!!

14 Thank prairietraveller2013
Canada
Reviewed December 25, 2013

No wow factor here just a great laidback getaway! Food is quite good by cuban standards. It is served hot and with a smile. Bread is fantastic!!(and I am not a bread eater normally) Great cheeses (even nice mild blue cheese and camember) Lobster is served once a week. Lots of people eating salads and not getting sick. A few had small issues with their stomachs. The bar tenders will fix you something they call "salva quien puede" or something like that...bring imodium in case.
Our room in block B had both 110/220 outlets. Upstairs rooms had a full bathroom counter as well as a tub. Those downtairs only had pedestal sinks and showers.
There are nice hammocks throughout the property in the shade. If you finish your book too quick, you can get another at the beach hut. They also have decks of cards if you like to play. Games room near the lobby is well equipped: 2 pool tables, 2 ping pong tables, chess boards, fooseball. Piano bar did not impress, but karaoke provided good laughs.
Nightly entertainement....what can I say ... cuban variety shows :once you have seen one....you've seen them all. Although there was a night where they did synchronised swimming... Quiz nights were fun.
The coffee bar provided good specialty coffees as well as most nights: live music. Our favorite band (called propuestas I think) was a classy act. Ask Leonardo and Ernesto to sing "o sole mio"!!!Their cd is well done and is a nice memento.
On that note we bought another cd that did not work in our cd player...will try it in the computer later on today
This establishment boasts many repeat customers. We met one that has been coming back for 20 years. Many come for the free golf., others I suspect because of the wonderful staff that make you feel like family ! Damayin was our buffet server for most of our time there. You will recognize her as she has a wonderful smile an appears quite young . Pablo is very friendly as well and loves to speak french.The waiters in the a la carte restaurants will invite you back without a reservation as they consider you their special guests. We had 7 nights at the restaurants during our two week stay.
The only real negative for me was the coffee...a real shock as I have always enjoyed cappuccinos in Cuba. That being said, some did not mind it...

Six of us were there the first week and all agreed we'd picked well...you should not be disapointed if you choose Breezes varadero.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the second floor, (in the two storey blocks) away from the pool if you like a mid d...
9 Thank sylviarp