“staff deserve the four star” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Breezes Varadero

Breezes Varadero
Ranked #19 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
ontario
“staff deserve the four star”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

We just got back from this hotel very early this morning. I must mention to anyone that is planning on booking this hotel, this is very important. There is NO air conditioning in the buffet. If my husband and I would have known this, we would not have went to this hotel. We arrived around 9:30 pm on Sat July 27th. When we arrived at the hotel, we were hungry so we thought we would go have a bite to eat, so when we discovered the buffet was open and not air conditioned, it was a concern. Lets just say you will sweat pearls. I really wish I would have known this before I booked it.
All aside, they do have 2 a-lacarte restaurants (one of them was closed because of off season. It was nice because it was air conditioned.
Rooms-many of the reviews had warned us about the music coming from the disco and if you get a room in the main building, you will hear it. They were very right, we had to switch rooms because it was so loud I didn't think we would make it through the week. I was very impressed with front desk staff because they took care of it and put us in a room that was much more quiet.
The food-I thought it was good, I have been to Cuba 17 times and I would say the food was fine.
Overall, would I go back to this resort, no, only because of the open buffet but I would say that we had a good time and we did not run into any issues.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank liz c

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

I just returned from a week long holiday at this resort. I had read the reviews prior to leaving and adjusted my expectations accordingly. I understand that cuba is a poor country and does not have access to modern amenities and luxuries that those from first world countries enjoy. With that said, this resort did not live up to the expectations that I did have. Both my travel partner and I are well traveled and did not feel that this resort deserves its four star accreditation. The good- the beach was beautiful and we never had difficulty finding beach chairs no matter what time we arrived. I found the beach chairs comfortable and clean. Neither of us had many complaints about the food itself although we wished there was more selection, particularly of the fruit. We only went to one a la carte (the Cuban restaurant) and found the food there to be the same as the buffet. The room was fine. It is not very luxurious but it is spacious and the cleaning staff do a good job each day. The one major disappointed that we encountered was with the service at this hotel. Over the weekend during our stay, there were many local Cuban people at the hotel. Many of the staff members completely catered to them and would ignore English speakers who arrived in line first. On one occasion, while in line at the ice cream station, a Cuban female (who was not in line) began conversing with the female buffet attendant. The female then shoved me out of the way and attempted to take my place in the very long line. The buffet attendant continued to talk to the female and did nothing to stop her from trying to take my place in the line. I believe they may have known each other due to the familiar way in which they were speaking. I was shocked by this and these incidents soured my view of the staff at this resort. My travel partner had a similar issue with another Cuban female who stepped in front of him when he was trying to buy cigars at the gift shop. We broached our concerns with the air canada travel representative who advised she would have a manager contact us. We never received any follow up for the duration of our trip. I also found the female who checked us in to be very unfriendly. We had exchanged 300 Canadian and
only received 266 Cuban pesos back. I had questioned the exchange rate but was told this was correct. I'm still unsure about this. We would not stay at this hotel again but it could be worth it for others if you got a really cheap rate. The beach is completely beautiful and the pool was also a lot of fun. However due to the poor service and seeming lack of concern by management, I would not recommend this resort.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Akwilli22
BVRA, Manager at Breezes Varadero, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Client,
Thank you for sharing your comments about our resort on this website. We appreciate you have taken the time to express your opinion about our service and we regret that it did not fulfill your expectations.
We apologize for the disappointing experiences you and your partner had with some Cuban guests as well as with the front desk service. We are working on increasing our customer´s satisfaction therefore each comment whether positive or negative, is an important tool to be used as a useful guideline.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

I absolutely Love this place!
The food is good despite the selection. If you are more interested in the food than the location, beach, weather and sun then stay home or go elsewhere were you can stuff your face! But if you want to experience culture and that welcome home feeling then this is the place for you!
Joel, Vivian and Tony are great and will make sure you are having fun with activities. They treat you like family and will join you for lunch or dinner and having meaningful discussions on various subjects. The wait staff/ bartenders are very attentive and know what you are drinking before you even have a chance to sit down.
Eduardo and Elisabeth are the management staff and will help you with your excursions off the resort and any issues you may have with your room. I have never had an issue with my room the 5 times I've been here but if the situation arises I have one word of advise. Report the issue, be patience and relax...you are on holidays, things will work out!!
So do yourself a favour and try this resort. You will love it!
Lastly I want to say to All the staff... Can't wait to see you in September!!!
Jon, Francesco and Tomy

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank shooterss
BVRA, Manager at Breezes Varadero, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Guests,
We appreciate you have taken the time to post your very good comments about our hotel’s facilities and staff.
We will pass on your acknowledgments to the entertainers and management staff you mention.
We are pleased to know you feel like coming home when you visit us and that you are planning to return next September.
Then, we look forward to welcoming you again soon!
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

Overall I am fairly disappointed with my experience at this hotel, but before I begin I would just like to note that I have been to Cuba on several occasions, which includes Cayo Coco, Holguin, Santa Maria and Varadero. So I have a good idea of what to expect and what not to expect. I also went with my two sons aged 15 and 18 for a 2 week stay.

Firstly, arrival from Toronto to Varadero was pretty straight forward and without any issues. The bus ride from the airport to the hotel took barely 40 min, compared to other parts of Cuba where you can travel for well over and hour. My flight was on the 7th at around 17:00 and when all was said and done I arrived at the hotel by 22:30.

Check-In: Upon arriving to the hotel at around 22:30 I got into a very short line in the lobby for Check-in. It was a not too late, but the I noticed that the lobby felt strangely empty, which I will talk more about later in this review. The person at the front desk spoke fairly good english and arranged us two rooms pretty swiftly in the Jr. Suite building. A concierge offered to bring our luggage to our rooms, but we wanted to walk so we declined.

Rooms: At first glance the Jr. Suite building looks decent compared to the better looking bungalows, but the rooms are far more let down. First off the room my younger son and I were in had a great air conditioner and smelled fresh and not musty, but the view was horrible. We saw a giant diesel container from our window, which powered a very loud generator several times during our stay at the hotel next to us and sometimes it even worked through to the evening. My older sons room was in much worse condition. The air conditioner barely worked on the highest setting, the room smelled musty and humid, there was a missing glass table top where the mini-fridge was making it very difficult to open, the TV remote was missing and some lights were broken. The first night we immediately complained about this room, particularly about the AC and to get a TV remote. They sent a tech along with someone else to examine the room, but they just walked in, talked to each other, checked a few other rooms and then said nothing could be done with AC and that other rooms had similar cooling (which was clearly wrong, evident from our other room which was frigid). The next day there was no TV remote as well, we did not report it as we did not really come to Cuba to watch TV, but it was really dishonest of the staff. Just as a side note, I understand that Cuba is a tropical country and these AC units get stressed a lot throughout the whole year, but in every hotel I've been to so far they have exchanged my room if I had any issues, especially if not satisfied upon arrival. The Jr. Suites in particular were not all filled and there were other unoccupied rooms, but if I had to guess most of them were probably in terrible condition to use, which was probably one of the reasons they were reluctant to find us a new room. My older son also had issues with no hot water in this room and water pressure problems a couple of days into our stay. We reported the issue to the front desk twice, which pretended to mark it down, but not one person came regarding this, so he took showers in our room for the remainder of the stay. One of the biggest issues we all had, was the noise from the disco which was located at the bottom floor of the Jr. Suites. First of all putting a disco in a building where people are sleeping is a complete joke. In most hotels we have been to in Cuba the disco is at the very least somewhat distanced from the sleeping areas, not attached to the same building or even on the beach. This was particularly annoying when we wanted to wake up early for an excursion the next day and the disco was shaking the building until 2 AM.

Service: The front desk was pretty disappointing, other then the person who checked us in (he mostly worked nights), everyone else especially during the day really struggled with english and taking any issues we had seriously. I think the gentleman that worked in the evening should work during the day, as he is much more friendly and has a lot stronger english.

Our maid was fairly good, we left her 1-2 pesos each day and a couple of small chocolate bars as a thank you. She kept our fridges stocked with water, cola and sprite, which was very welcomed as most hotels just give you water. That being said though, she was very overworked having to cover a lot of rooms alone and would often not even get to our room until 2-3 PM from time to time.

The bartenders on the hotel grounds were great, always smiling and quick to serve up drinks most of the time.

The servers/waiters, other then in the a la Carte's, were very slow a lot of the time and you would often have to wait a while for them to stop standing around and talking to each other to notice that some tables needed to be made. This is not true for everyone, there were a few very respectable servers who always acknowledged us and we would often tip them in return. For the most part, however, you really had to grab their attention to get anything done. We also got refused entry to the Italian a La Carte, because my two sons did not have long pants required by the ridiculous dress code, it's Cuba with +30c weather I am not going to pack jeans. The doorman literally said they could wear long pajamas, but somehow jean shorts ruined the ambient for people. Yes, other A La Carte's of other hotels in Cuba did have dress codes, but unless you came half naked in swim shorts they did not enforce the stupid dress code. The service in the Cuban a La Carte was great and without any issues.

In terms of cooks, I had a great experience with the grill guy on the beach, he was always cheerful and always cracked jokes with everyone, the burgers, hotdogs and mini-pizzas he also made were top notch. The younger fellow that made eggs in the morning was also great, he always greeted us and always knew what we wanted ahead of time. The other cooks especially, the guy in charge of cooking the meat at dinner was very disappointing. He was always grumpy and when you asked him for a couple of pieces of meat he would throw in the smallest piece you could possibly think of and then when you asked for more he would look confused as if he thought it was enough. He did this a couple of times to my sons as well and overall seemed to be struggling with the grill.

Food: People will often say that when it comes to food do not really expect much in Cuba, but this is probably by far the worst hotel we have been to in terms of food selection. Some days there would be something good like grilled fish, tacos, calamari and a good selection of fruits (mango, banana and pineapple) but for the most part it was the exact same thing day in and day out with a very low selection of fruit for most of the day. The tacos, calamari and that particular grilled fish for example was only served once during our 2 week stay. The beef was far too chewy as well and some meats were not cooked thoroughly enough and in terms of fruits most of time it was just grape fruit and guava with mango's and bananas only being there some of the time. There was absolutely no consistency in terms of food at all. There was also no station for fried cinnamon bananas, which we had come fairly accustom to as a popular Cuban desert in most hotels we have gone to. We went to the Cuban a La Carte restaurant a few times and the food was decent, but the main coarse meals were average at best. We however did like the interesting selection of appetizers you could get before the meal, but for desert there was not really much but ice cream. As I mentioned before the grill on the beach was pretty good and although it was just burgers, pizza and hot dogs my sons and I enjoyed them. They tasted great and were cooked thoroughly. I just wish they had fried calamari like the other hotels I went to prior.

Hotel Amenities/ Entertainment: I knew the hotel had an open concept buffet before reserving, but this trip reminded me why I hated them so much in the past. Birds would swarm your food in the morning (poop on the chairs/tables), temperatures were unbearable at lunch (we ate lunch at the beach grill) and mosquitoes would bite you all over at night. Air conditioned closed concept buffets are the best in my opinion. The lobby as I mentioned before, was strangely empty, which is the exact opposite in most hotels, where it is often bustling with people and there would often be some some of musical performance there. The piano bar was almost always empty and nobody was on the piano except on casino night. The staff would often just watch TV in the Piano Bar area. One thing that this hotel was really lacking was a dedicated area for nightly entertainment. The stage was located in the buffet area and sometimes they would start some sort of show while people were still busy eating. This is the only hotel in Cuba that I've been to that combined the buffet and a theater/entertainment area into one, which does not bode well at all. In terms of overall performances here, it was very lackluster with the staff repeating a bunch of silly trivias a couple of times over. The pool in the hotel was great and in the few times we went there weren't many people crowding it. There was no in-pool bar but the bar was a couple of feet from it. The design of the pool, however, seems a little dated compared to the new extravagant ones newer hotels are making. The hotel also had a games room with 2 pools tables, 2 ping pong tables, darts, a TV and a couple of chess/checkers tables. My sons spent a majority of their evenings there playing table tennis/pool and their only complaint is that only 1 out of the 4 AC units were actually working inside, making it a little hot. Other then the Liquor and Tobacco shop the other store was a little lackluster and did not many Cuban crafted works compared to stores of other hotels we have visited. The beach water sports like the katamorans, kayaks and pedal boats were just like with most hotels. They run until 3PM and they do not operate if the sea is very wavy.The TV channels in the rooms would also frequently have issues with lost signals or missing tone for some reason. The one complaint I have on the beach is that nobody really maintains the beach chairs, they often are covered in bird poop, some are broken and people spill food on them. They could at the very least have someone go over and look at the chairs every couple of days.

Beach/Hotel Grounds: There is nothing much to say about the beach, other then Varadero has some of the best if not the best beaches in Cuba. The sand is groomed every morning by tractors, so it's always nice and flat. The hotel grounds are taken good care of by the gardeners, just like most hotels I've been to. Staff will rarely let the look of the property slide in 4+ star hotels.

In general from the experience we had with this hotel it is at best a 3-3.5 star hotel similar to Arenas Doradas or the old Arenas Blancas. This does not mean everything is entirely that bad, for example if it is your first time coming to Cuba and you are able to get a good deal at Breezes Varadero, then go ahead you will have a good time, just don't have very high expectations. If you have gone to several hotels in Cuba before and know the ins and outs of all the possible issues and have some sort of baseline expectations I would move on to a different choice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Adrian P
BVRA, Manager at Breezes Varadero, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on our resort. We are very concerned about customer satisfaction; therefore, all comments are taken as an opportunity to improve the hotel’s services and facilities.
We regret that you had a disappointing experience at our hotel but we appreciate that you have also posted the good points found during your stay.
We are working on resolving the issues you mentioned and we look forward to having the opportunity to host you in a near future so you can enjoy the high standards that characterize our company.
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

I did not do a review after returning back in March as it was our 8 th trip and have done reviews before, but felt I needed to after reading several. The one thing that should be noted by people reading reviews is how often a person has been to Cuba or that particular resort. Comments made by those who have been there once should be observed, but I feel that if people are returning year after year(s) must mean something. Breezes Varadero is one of those resorts as you will find numerous returnees here which should mean something. They have done upgrades to the rooms and added extras to make your visit complete. The addition of the coffee bar has been wonderful (and a busy place!) as well as the snack bar in main building, which is great when your flight gets you there later at night or leaving later.
The beach area speaks for itself and have never heard anything bad about it, although they could use newer chaises there. The gardens are beautifully kept by friendly staff like Ariel and Hector who will do their best to explain the different vegetation.
Cannot say enough about the staff who are like family now. Treat people with respect and that is how you will be treated! The entertainment staff are "my kids" now and do their best to keep you entertained. Love those people!
The food issue always puzzles me. You are willingly taking a holiday in a different country so why the complaints about food that you don't find at home? Take a North American trip then! We have NEVER had a meal that we could not find something to eat. They do have regular condiments here. As for tipping, do so if you want but you do not have to.
So we have already booked our 2014 trip to Breezes and can hardly wait to be embraced by the wonderful people here. Cuba is a safe and very interesting country to visit.

Room Tip: The garden view two level buildings are the best. Found the main building around the disco noisy fr...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
16 Thank buddiesCalglary
BVRA, Manager at Breezes Varadero, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Guest,
We greatly appreciate you have taken the time to post your very good comments about Breezes Varadero on this website.
Thank you also for mentioning the upgrades you have noticed in the rooms as well as the improvements and the extras added such us the Coffee Bar and the Snack Bar.
Your acknowledgments to the staff are well appreciated too and will be transmitted to them, especially to the gardeners mentioned and the entertainers.
We look forward to welcoming you again next year.
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

Keeping in mind we went during low season, the resort appeared as a good place to relax, rather than a place to party. We appreciated the fact that kids are not allowed on the site (14 years and above). The average age of visitors was around 45 and the hotel bars emptied around midnight. This resort has a beautiful beach with easy access. It is very close to the city of Varadero (20 min walk). The staff is friendly and attentive. The rooms are spacious and always kept clean by the daily maid service. On the downside, the food is really bad. We went in the low season and the same food was served almost at every meal, with very few choices. They make weird mixes of salad, such as dry raisins with ham and rice. Hot meals are overcooked, because they keep cooking in the boiling sauce as the heating bath are kept at very high temperatures. I would go back to this resort, especially in high season when it's probably more lively. Although I would definitely avoid Cubana airline which was a very bad experience.

Room Tip: Bloc I is close to everything: beach, pool, buffet, jacuzzi bar
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Audrey C
BVRA, Manager at Breezes Varadero, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your good comments on our resort.
We regret that the food provided was not up to your levels of expectations but we keep working to give our clients the highest level of satisfaction.
We appreciate that despite this experience you wish to return to our resort.
Haliburton Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

We just love this resort, and can't wait to go back. The staff really make this place so welcoming and treat us like family every visit. All rooms have been upgraded in the last few years, and they are always very clean with excellent maid service daily. We really like the two-story buildings placed around the main buffet and pool, while the reception and lobby bar are close as well. The beach, of course, is great with lots of palapas and lounge chairs available; great security too as we watch some people turned away who are not staying at the resort.

Our last trip was in April during the Italia Festival - such great music and extra special pastas in the buffet - great time! The visiting yoga instructors are an excellent addition to the daily activities. It's a great place to relax and enjoy the beautiful weather; not much of a big party place, which is fine by me.

The coffee bar that was added a couple of years ago is great, providing about 20 specialty coffee drinks (Spanish coffee after dinner, yum) and wine. The resort has free golf at the Varadero Golf Club and one of these trips we are actually going to play!!

Hola from Tom & Betty

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
9 Thank Fireman
BVRA, Manager at Breezes Varadero, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Client,
Thank you for taking the time to post your very positive comments about our resort, as well as the improvements you have noticed in the rooms and bars.
We are also very pleased to read your very good comments on Viva Italia’s Event last April.
We look forward to welcoming you again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Varadero
Hodelpa Garden Suites
Colombus Hotel
Colombus Hotel
#7 of 8 in Oyster Pond
Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas Resort

Been to Breezes Varadero? Share your experiences!