“Best of Varadero” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 63 Hotels in Varadero
Toronto, Canada
“Best of Varadero”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

Been to Breezes Varadero 5 times. Feels like home. All inclusive, great staff and very pleasant. Beaches are the best in Cuba. Met a couple that has been there 20 times...AND WILL CONTINUE. I can see why as the grounds are kept beautifully groomed etc.
Hard to find the perfect needs for a great hoilday....Breezes fills our wishes.

Room Tip: Garden Suites are your better choice.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank 739Dennis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

I spent January 7-14th, 2013 on this resort, and time flew, I did not want to leave.

The good:
-beautiful beach, lots of space
-BBQ hamburgers- available at all hours of the night
-Great entertainment
-Friendly staff, with some tips, they'll go out of their way for you
-The rooms (as long as you're away from the Disco), my room was amazing.
-A la carte- very nice

The bad:
-Food- you get what you expect in Cuba- I did get food poisoning once, but I was the only one from my group.
-water bottles- not available in the room on a daily basis unless you travel with certain companies- should be a given
-birds eating the food, ants in the room (really not a big deal though).

I had an amazing time, met great people and would love to come back here one day. I got a chance to see other resorts on that same strip, I promise this one is the best one of them all.

Room Tip: Avoid the Disco, ask for a room by the pool. Best location.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank AF1234
Jasper, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed at the Breezes Varadero for our spring holiday. It was our first time in Cuba and first time in an all inclusive. I am so happy we chose this particuliar hotel as it was the perfect size and not too pretentious. Our room was great and spotless, thanks to our amazing housekeeper. We had new water bottle and coke bottle every day. The staff is absolutely
amazing, they were like family so friendly and personable. The beach is fabulous and the water is warm. The food was not the best but the Cuban restaurant and Italian restaurant were much better. We had great burgers and hotdogs at the beach bar with chef Carlos. We did enjoy our morning shake prepared by the sweetest lady and all the waiters/waitresses were so much fun. The coffee bar made a great Spanish coffee. Since I didn't go there for the food, I was happy to come back without any extra pounds. My only complain is they ran out of white wine on the last 4 days and I had to bring my own bottles. We did the jeep tour which we truly enjoyed, it was a full day of lots of variable activities. We booked our own Havana Tour with a taxi and you get to see so much more than you would with an organized tour, another fun day. I would really recommend this place if you are not expecting a 5 stars and enjoy smaller more personable places. If we go back to Cuba, we would definitely return to the Breezes Varadero mostly because of the amazing staff.

Room Tip: The I and J buildings are great.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Johanne P
Thorold, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

i just came back from this resort (may16-24) and it wasn't long enough. people in cuba are the funnest i've met,we were a group of 14 ladies and we were treated wounderful. I would definately be back to breeses. Relaxing at the beach, trivia by the pool, or hanging out with a spanish coffee with new friends and old friends,thats my kind of vacation. my room was lovely and cleaned to perfection. great job to all the staff you made me feel like part of your family for a week. to lizebeth(sorry about the spelling) THANK YOU for everything...rhonda

Room Tip: i stayed in room 166 beside the pool easy access to beach pool and buffee and of course the bar
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Rhonda D
Oakville, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a week at Breezes Varadero (May 16-23). Let me start with the positives: the beach is absolutely wonderful, the staff were all gracious and helpful, and we found everything quite well-maintained. The room was relatively comfortable and very clean. The downside? We expected birds along the edges of the buffet: we didn't expect them to be pecking at the bread and fruit that we would be eating! Snacks were limited to a few small pastries, ham sandwiches, hamburgers and hotdogs. The two restaurants were lovely when they were open, but in the off season they are not open every evening. Generally, we loved the people and the beach but wished the food included more choices and perhaps a bar with table service.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank lindarferguson
british columbia,canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

We just returned from our first time to Cuba and 14 nights(May4-18th,2013) at Breezes Veradero. I think a rating of 2-2.5 stars would be more appropriate. We arrived late and the room was in section C,second floor. It had mold in the closets, the king bed was broken with a large sag on one side that was very obvious. The t.v. remote did not work and the a.c. remote was no where to be found. I tried laying on the sagging bed and had to hold myself from falling on the floor where a cockroach was scurrying across. We checked in very late(10pm) and were very tired from the long flight. We were mostly unpacked when I decided to go to the front desk and complain. The receptionist was rude and reluctantly helped me. After dirty looks and mostly silence she relocated us to a different section. I checked it first of course as I did not want to move again. This room was fine so I thought. Less mold in the closet,no visible cockroaches, the t.v. remote worked and a.c. remote was there. By this time it was close to midnight so here we stay. Unpacked, showered and into bed. I pulled the sheets back and the bottom sheet was for a single bed put on a king! This exposed a filthy bumpy worn dirty cover-less mattress. Our legs and feet had to touch this all night because it was definitely sleep time. In the morning on the way to breakfast I found the custodian for our room and had a heck of a time trying to explain that we have a king bed with a single bed sized sheet. The food was just OK, if you don't mind sharing the buffet with the birds. Literally all over the food which did not appeal to us. We had to check each helping to see if it had been pecked at or if it had droppings on it.The scrambled eggs in the hot tray looked scarey as did the pancakes,french toast and the breakfast meats. The fresh made omelet was safer. I stuck mostly with the fried spaghetti and sauce for dinners.They would have a whole snapper or a roasted piglet but they were mostly carcasses by the time I got there so back to the spaghetti. They did lobster for Galla Night which was too well-done and consequently chewy. We tried all three Ala-carts the first week and found them not any better than the buffet so we didn't bother with the three free Ala-carts for our second week. We did find the grill by the beach had a good burger. I am not one for burgers or any meats for that matter except for chicken in a foreign country. We did hear that they were good and my wife wanted to try one so I had a little nibble and found it good. We had two each during our stay and enjoyed them. There is no wi-fi and the only internet is a small two computer room above the lobby. We paid $5 cuc's ($5.50 cnd) for half an hour. It took half an hour to log into our accounts and and we both got frustrated with that and never bothered with internet again. I do not believe there is an ocean view room at this resort as there are trees and bush between the water and the complex.Our room faced the ocean but looked like a garden view. You get 1 bottle of water and 2 tiny bars of soap in the room at check in and that is it. You have to buy the bottled water and soap from the small on-site store after that. We always bring our own soap so this was not a problem. After a few days we did get settled in and enjoyed the ocean,beach and the cocktails. We did two excursions. The "jeep" safari and the Havana city tour and Tropicana show. The jeep drive was good except that the vehicles are not the open air,roll-bar dodge type jeeps. They are some small enclosed Chinese or Korean suvs that are also called jeeps. lol. This entailed a lot of driving on very rough back-roads and the lunch was small and not very good but we did see a lot so I think we were satisfied. The Havana trip was good as well but entailed a lot of walking around the city and we were hounded constantly for money, tips or to buy something. The lunch was a little better than the "jeep" lunch. The Tropicana Show I think was the highlight of our whole visit to Cuba...Excellent! Would we return to Cuba or this resort. I say no to both.

Room Tip: Sections "G or H" are facing the "beach" and close to the beach, pool, and buffe...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank rham1
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

I searched long and hard for hotels in Varadero having been four times previously but not in 6 years so knew most of them (as I used to work for a tour operator and visited most!), so expected a few to need a lick of paint. I had always heard good things about the Breezes however primarily as it was adults only and had a good location. I got a reasonable deal so went for it.
My first impressions were good, no surprises on the decor, check in was efficient and the room was a good size, clean and everything worked. The room (as expected) could do with a refresh but i'll think you will find that is the case with all the hotels in Varadero nowadays. The resort is of a good size with an excellent section of beach.
Now i think my grumbles about the hotel come from the cultural differences between the guests. It says in the literature and in the check in information not to tip and us Brits we generally don't tip unless at a restaurant and its goods service. Pouring a beer is not worthy of a tip. Now i have nothing against Canadians, I love them, have some very close Canadian friends and made some more on this trip but the tipping I witnessed was out of control. I regularly saw guys tipping 5CUC for 2 plastic cups of beer. 20CUC for cocktails. Sitting down at the breakfast buffet and tipping for bringing over water. Now if the service was exceptional i would accept that but the service was surly at best and when the guys were tipped they generally didnt smile anyway it kinda just ensured that the received more service....to the detriment of other guests. Not on really. Now I know some people will say they are paid low wages and deserve extra, true but allow them to offer you good service first and then tip not just for the sake of it. I did tip, at the end of my trip to the 3 members of staff who offered me service, not the 20 or so who basically ignored me and they all showed genuine appreciation for it. I did ask a few Canadians and they stated they spent more on tips than their actual holiday...why?!
Please stop as it is ruining the experience for everyone else unless you want to tip 50-60CUC a day and not get a smile.
One tip I took from the Candians...bring a cooler or large thermos to store your drinks. If you are at the beach bar or pool bar you get served drinks in tiny plastic disposable cups (about 175ml) which is a bit ridiculous. Surely reusable plastic glasses would work?! The beer ran out regularly and it was only possible to get a Pina Colada for 1 day out of 7 and that ran out by 2pm. I remember Breezes serving premium spirits too but they only had decent rum available in the lobby bar and no other premium spirits.
Food - I know Cuba struggles so I was pretty tolerable but some was not good at all. Random selections of salads and vegetables. The Bain-Marie's were not always on so the food was tepid at best unless you got to the buffet first thing. The Meat carvery - the meat was always dry and overcooked apart from the Pork which had amazing crackling to be fair. So ended up sticking to freshly cooked things only - Omelettes, Grilled Meats/Seafood and rice. Ice Cream was good and remained frozen and wasn't allowed to defrost and refreeze which normally happens in Cuba. Al La Carte - Italian was good, Beach BBQ was also good. Did book the Cuban Restaurant but heard bad things so ate outside the hotel.

The entertainment staff were great and we had real fun with them and other guests. I think i'm now done with Varadero now as the tipping thing is getting worse and the service is getting worse with it which shouldn't be the case! However most of the guests we met came here year after year and loved it saying it was way better than other properties they had stayed so there most be something going for it. But for me I wouldn't come back if it was for longer than 5 days.

Room Tip: Apparently we were located in the "projects" as some of the regular called it as it was lo...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with clever-hotels.com

4 Thank Russell K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Varadero
Hodelpa Garden Suites
Colombus Hotel
Colombus Hotel
#7 of 8 in Oyster Pond
Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas Resort

Been to Breezes Varadero? Share your experiences!