“Excellent Viva Italia Month”
Review of Hotel Los Cactus

and 1 more site!
Hotel Los Cactus
Ranked #21 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We returned to Breezes for Viva Italia month. The variety of entertainment was fabulous. Brian Roman,Claudio Santaulce, Angelo Sciortino, Robert Michaels, Christopher Dallo, Carlo Coppola,Victoria Fragomeni, and Vince Bennenati all great Canadian performers. Lets not forget the great MC Franco Valli and Danny D who also hosted the beach parties. Of course this event would not be possible if not for the sponsor the Ananov Group and the hard working Carmella Vice President and organizer of this special event. The food prepared by the chefs from the Posticino
Restaurant for the beach parties and buffet dinners were superb.
Breezes hotel is our favourite and have been returning for 20 years. In April the number of repeat clients are numerous. We return because of the beautiful beach and friendly staff and we always feel safe.
Many improvements have been completed in the past year. Pedro the executive chef has made great strides in the quality and presentation of the food. The coffee bar is an nice addition as is the deli. The hammocks hung in secluded places around the grounds make for a quite place to read or just relax. The gardens are lovely and even the peacock is an attraction.
The pool has been improved with the new steps making it accessible for all. Hot tubs are working, the gym equipment is new and much better. This year the hotel even provided water Zumba classes.The lounge chairs around the pool and on the beach have been modernized giving us better back support. I cannot say enough great things about this hotel. Where in the world do you go to a hotel and on the second visit they remember you and treat you like family. As I have said before there are a great number of repeat clients that know just how good this hotel is but we do not write reviews. By posting on trip advisor we not only get a chance to tell the hotel what a great job they are doing but it is also a way to thank all the staff for the fabulous
Job the do. So again I ask all you repeaters to please post so we can keep this great place (our second home) viable and get the word out why we love this unique place.
Lee

6  Thank caperNovaScotia

Reviewed May 14, 2013

My wife and I as well as family members and friends have been going to Breezes Varadero for many years. My wife and I and our daughter and her husband were there this year from April 11th to the 28th. This resort may not be the most modern in the Caribbean but it is by far one of the best. The resort is small in comparison to others, the beach is devine and the staff are no doubt the best in all the Caribbean resorts we have visited. From the Management to the Gardeners, they are by far the most friendly and the most guest orientated we have experienced. Whatever your needs are the staff not only look after you, more importantly they work to please all the guests and enjoy their work. Take my review from experience as my wife and I have been there annually for 21 years and will be back April 2013.
Carl and Irene Delaney

Room Tip: All units have been recently renovated, I recommend any room.
6  Thank CarlPei
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I was at Breezes for my 5th time in September 2012 and again for my 6th time April 14th 2013. This resort has become my home away from with the many repeaters the resort, I have met many new friends. It is always a pleasure to return and have familiar faces at the resort and the best staff ever who never forget you. They take care of everyone to the fullest and accommodate to make everyone's stay a memorable one. It offers everything you need for a vacation and the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. If you are looking for a place to go that offers everything you need, this is the place...I will keep returning as long as I am able.

Room Tip: The Ocean View rooms have a great view including the Tropical Suites. Also rooms around the pool off...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank sweetlikecandy
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This is our forth time back to Beautiful Cuba. We travelled the week of April 20th, During the Viva Italia month long Italian themed festival.
We stayed at the Breezes Bella Costa for the week, but were also able to visit Breezes Varadero. Both resorts are very Nice. The Bella Costa is more Family oriented, while Breezes Varadero is geared more to Adults. The properties are both very nice, clean and very well kept. Breezes Varadero's property is a stunner, it has a great parklike setting. I would recomend either of the resorts.
As usual we had a great stay. The weather was absolutely beautiful, sunny and mid 30's daily.
All the staff at the Bella Costa and Varadero were great, and always willing to make our stay comfortable, and pleasant.
Viva Italia/Evanov Group Radio Stations brought in musicians and cooks from Toronto for their entertainment and authentic Italian cooking for the month long festival. The entertainment that was provided was fantastic The singers were great!. The food that was prepared by the the italian cooks was delicious. Breakfast, lunch and dinner at the Bella Costa Buffets were also very good. In General,The food at both resorts was very good, we did not go hungry at all.
We had a great dinner at the Italian a' la carte at Breezes Varadero, the food was fantastic, and the entertainment and service that Pedro the head waiter gave us was excellent.
We had amazing bartenders at the Bella Costa, our favourites were Barbara and Oscar.
We would recomend both resort for anyone travelling to Cuba, especially in April. We had a great time!! Hopefully we will be back again next year.

Room Tip: Room Tip: Try to book a suite. These rooms are fantastic. They have a sitting/living room and a sepe...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank A D
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I travelled to the Breezes Varadero in February. We have both travelled to Cuba before, but it was our first time at this resort and at a smaller resort. This resort is fondly known for being smaller, but having an excellent beach - and it did not disappoint. Overall we really enjoyed our stay here. It was a completely different vibe from other huge chain resorts. It had a real relaxed vibe and everyone was incredibly friendly - both travellers and staff. Basically here is a rundown of the pros and cons. Everything is taken with a grain of salt, every person is different with what can make or break a vacation. We are very low key and relaxed people so it takes quite a bit for us to not reccommend something.

Pros:Beach, beach and beach! The room average, but nice. We were in the building with the disco, which I had concerns about, but we never heard the noise once (2nd floor). The beach grill was good and the ala cartes are average, there are towels available, but we brought our own. One of my favourite things was the pool activities during the day. I am not usually a pool game kind of person, but it was so much fun! I honestly think a certain kind of person stays here, everyone we met was so chilled out and there for a great time. The hotel is also sup[er close to town, the drinks were great, superb coffee bar and a gift shop that doesn't gouge you. One of the best things was the giant pelicans on the beach diving for fish! We also walked to the Dupont Mansion (drinks on the patio are a must).

Cons: The beach chairs. They sucked. The pool has brand new chairs that were amazing. Here's to hoping that they start to get new chairs for the beach too. Not all of them were bad though, luck of the draw I suppose. Most people complain about the food in Cuba - but really, who goes to Cuba for the food? The food was pretty standard, some days/nights were better than others, but unless you are the pickiest person on the planet you won't starve. I guess the only other con would be that the fridge in our room wasn't super cold, but we didn't really care because we were hardly ever in there. Other people complained about the hard beds, I loved it. Again, a personal preference.

Overall, we would go back, and if you go back 5 times the 6th one is free!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank travelgirl78Cork
Reviewed May 7, 2013

First may I start by saying this place is heaven! We were in Breezes Varadero between April 16 and the 23rd 2013. From the very first moment we arrived there until the time we left, there were no complaints...
The people..
The staff working at this resort are amazing! Diaz, our porter, what an ambassador for this resort. Carlos, at the beach grill, wonderful!! For this man to work behind the hot grill in that heat, all day with a constant good humor, was amazing. We miss your burgers!! The lady who cleaned our room daily was perfect, such great service, thank you!! Vladamier, such a kind person and wonderful service.Finally, our favorite, Mira, in the evening buffet. This beautiful lady took care of us from day one,she made sure we were always taken care of.. Miss you
The Resort..
The beach was so amazing, wonderful, clean, warm, I could go on and on. We loved it! The grounds were just beautiful, the birds, the flowers and the peacocks, were funny.. The Pool, my boyfriend didn't get out of the pool. Thanks so much to fellow Canadians for making us feel welcome. The Jacuzzis were lovely, so relaxing. All the a la cartes and buffets, the food was wonderful. (Just a side note, my boyfriend is VERY picky when it comes to food. He thoroughly enjoyed everything, he did not go hungry!!)
So many people have complained about the noise form the Disco. Our room was next to the Disco, the noise you heard was from the next resort. They have outdoor shows nightly, the loud music you heard was not the Disco!! Again no complaints..
The Day Trips..
We went to Varadero on the double decker buses and had a ball! What a pretty little place and again the people are wonderful! We took bus tours to Havana and on the catamaran. Havana was nice, but there was a lot of construction and many places were hard to get to. The catamaran, was simply beautiful. WE swam with the dolphins and had a blast! Next year we will take in the show as well..
Little Hints..
Bring a Bubba mug or something similar, this will save you time and patience. Bring lots of bathing suits or other swimming apparel. Do not bring a Chi for your hair, you will blow it. Make sure you have sunscreen and hats for the males. Please leave the attitude home, the people work very hard to make you happy and do not deserve the attitude!!
Again we cannot say enough about this wonderful resort. There are many people who come here year after year and now we will be, as well...
See you next year!!! Jack says hello..

8  Thank TasiaW
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I'll start by saying I'm not a travel snob by any means, I had low expectations coming to Cuba (the rumors of bad food etc). I have also stayed in a number of all inclusives in various countries and with various star ratings. I stayed at the Breezes Varadero from April 27th-May3rd 2013 with 10 others. There is no way this is a 4 star. I'll start with the positives - the beach is amazing - white sand, emerald water, cabanas to sit under (if you get up early enough). If you searched hard enough you could find decent things to eat - the bread was great, salads, and pasta. There are parts of the resort that are well landscaped.

Check in was loooong, by staff who seemed to care less. We arrived around 10pm with about 30 others and there was 1 person working the desk. Not a great first impression.

Staff - in general were very grumpy throughout the week - even when tipping generously. They seemed to warm up by the end of the trip but come on, really? I can't tell you how may times I heard "What do you want".

Pool - giant rectangle with chairs surrounding. Black ring developed over the week that they scrubbed back into the pool during the day. Not much to look at.

Room - I've stayed in cleaner and more comfortable Super 8, Best Western hotels. Our bed had huge divets (it looked like a W), thin sheets, an air conditioner that was very noisy. Our room also flooded twice (inch of water) due to storms and the bathroom shower had no pressure - it took me and my wife a few minutes to even get to the point where we would sleep in there. Maids seemed to just make the bed for you (not change sheets) and replace your towels - no floor cleaning etc. There were bugs in our room every day (flying beetle like things) but I don't think there is much they can do about that. Patios had lots of bird poop and were dirty.

Food - selection was limited and poor, especially in between buffet times (hot dogs and hamburgers - and not one person I talked to could stomach the hot dogs. They say they have pizza but the oven was 'broken' the whole time we were there). By day 3 most of us had stomach problems requiring frequent trips to the bathroom. I wouldn't bother with any of the al a carte restaurants (except the Cuban one), they weren't much better than the buffet - and some were worse. The buffet was ok, if you searched you could find things, they repeated most items every day and there were a lot of bugs and birds around - bring mosquito spray, if it rains they come out at night.

Drinks - Bring your own cup with a lid to drink out of because theirs are 3oz big and flimsy, you'll be traveling back and forth to the bar every 10min. Also, they seemed to run out of things like Pineapple Juice, Tomato juice, cola etc. daily and a lot of things on the resort were 'broken' like the beer taps, pizza oven etc.

Entertainment - Karaoke night was fun, they have a night club on location but it either wasn't open or had under 10 people in it. Other than that, everything was in the main buffet room and usually lasted until 9:30pm or so - pretty sleepy after that - plan to leave the resort if you want some fun - or bring games to play.

I think if you were to visit Cuba, you should seriously consider a 5 star if this is what 4 star represents. I thoroughly enjoyed the beach (pretty much stayed there all day, every day) but aside from that I truly am hard pressed to find anything nice to say about Breezes Varadero.

Room Tip: Try and stay in the newer part of the hotel (where the Italian restaurant is located), it looked bet...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family