“Another great time and a couple of tips.”
Review of Hotel Los Cactus

and 1 more site!
Hotel Los Cactus
Ranked #19 of 64 Hotels in Varadero
SCARBOROUGH
“Another great time and a couple of tips.”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

My wife and I and two of our kids just returned from our 6th annual visit to Breezes on Sunday morning. Once again, there were changes with the new Lobby "deli" being the most obvious. We did have a "minor" problem but Lisabeth solved it in a timely fashion.
The resort was overbooked but the only time you felt crowded was Gala night Friday -Lobster Night.
The staff, as always, made us feel at home and I'd like to thank Humberto (excellent omelettes and big Blue Jay fan), Noel at the Grill, Ramon at the gate, Abel in the buffet and even Hector for making this an enjoyable visit.
We already look forward to our return next year.

Some tips:
- eat at El Rancho if you want a very good lobster dinner, about $20 pesos.

- Abel at the Breezes Bella Costa does braids. My daughter goes to him every year. He works from 11 am to about 6 pm. Get the Lobby desk to call if he's in.

- if you're thinking of an excursion, ask Ramon at the gate to contact Daniel Feito cab M 82 to be your tour guide. Very good English and incredibly knowledgeable. He took us to Guama, a state park and nature preserve.

- don't count on using the internet.

- it's okay to negotiate prices. There seemed to be more flex in prices, especially cabs and the horse carriages.

Hope this helps,

GXT

2 Thank GEORGEXT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (639)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed February 7, 2013

A little late with the review but here it is.I would like to start by saying that we are thrilled just to have the means to be able to travel south.This was our 7th trip (first to Cuba),and i have to say the best.We have stayed at larger resorts that offer more amenities but they don't have the same feel that this resort has.As stated in previous reviews everything is close and is only a short walk.The beach is absolutely beautiful with plenty of loungers and palapas and is accessed by path’s that cut through or over the dunes.As you step into the warm water you are met with a sandy bottom and the most vibrant colored blue water we have seen.One of the first things I noticed was no roped off area for swimming and no boat traffic.They don’t have the water taxi’s and banana boats that you see at other resorts.Take advantage of the Hohie Cat that is included in your package and go for a sail with Captain Ron.The first room we were assigned was in the large three story building that house’s the disco and had a couple of issues so when we politely mentioned it to the front desk they said that they did not have time to fix it so they moved us to a beautiful bottom floor garden view suite (block D).Take time to enjoy the stained glass,ceramic tile, 3D colored stone and etching art on various surfaces around the property. We enjoy an open air buffet and this one is fabulous.The food was fresh and tasty.I particularly enjoyed the grilled fish,fried chicken,soups and rice & beans.Staff members like Alex,Lizbeth and Cleveland work very hard to make your stay special and are quick with a smile and laugh.I am having a hard time to express why we like this resort but there is a feeling of being less crowded,relaxed,not hurried and beechie are some of the words that come to mind.I won’t go into any more detail so that there are lots left for you to explore and enjoy at this amazing resort.We are going back in 2014 so until then if you have booked this resort you have no worries.Have a drink for us in the hot tub at one of the coolest bars ever the “Duna Bar”.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SandDog
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Hotel was all around fantastic! The beach, set up, landscape and ESPECIALLY the staff!! Entertainment was wonderful, rooms very clean. Our maid Maria was super friendly and helpful! Did I say staff was great?? Nothing bad to say about this resort! If you are there for peace and quiet then yes, request a room away from the disco. But really, its vacation. No alarms have to be set anyway so for us, this wasn't a problem. Beach was beautiful. Best part I think were our fellow travellers. Staying at Breezes is like being part of a small town. Everyone gets along. Just talk to people and before long you will know half the resort and will have made new friends! And be sure to try the coffee bar....Yordanka is a sweetheart!

Room Tip: For a quieter room, choose a villa away from the pool, or a junior suite on floor 6 or 7. Best ones...
2 Thank Kairand
Listowel, Canada
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I booked a holiday through Redtag.ca and the only company we could go with was Hola Sun Holidays. The hotel was great, but we only saw the Hola Sun rep the day after we got there for our greeting. We stayed from Jan 26-Feb 2, 2013.
We booked a jeep tour with Hola Sun for later in the week. The day of the tour, we went to meet the bus at 8:15 like we were told. At 8:50, a bus came. As we showed the guide our ticket, he said we were on the wrong bus, as that bus was the french speaking tour. We do not speak french.
He said we had no choice but to go anyway, as the rep messed up. We should have been on the english speaking bus.
When we got back. I looked for the Hola Sun rep, but she was not there. I looked in the book that says when one would be at our resort, but the times were for the week of Jan 20 to the 26th, the week before we were there.
The front desk called Hola sun's office and a lady said a rep would call my room, but after 2 days we never heard a word. There was never a rep from Hola Sun at our resort as far as I know the whole week we were there. All the other travel reps were there almost every day to help their clients.
I will never again book with Hola Sun. No reps if you need one, on one returns calls. Book not updated with when or if someone will be there. If Hola Sun is the only one I can book with next year to go back to this resort, I will go someplace else. I loved the resort, and the staff was great, but Hola Sun will never get my business again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
30 Thank Ron S
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 1, 2013

This resort was recommended to us from a friend.
I am glad we took his advice and tried it. The part that got me thinking of trying it was that green fees to the golf course were included.
We are beach people and we have been to Varadero many times but wanted to try something closer to town so we could do more exploring by foot. It took 15 minutes to walk along the beach to get to town (felt like 5 minutes). The beach is amazing, what else can i say.
Our friend told us the resort was an older one but a mature one. The resort is not huge but not small and very well spaced out and the design is wonderful. We loved the fact that it was mature vegetation, beautiful flowers and shrubs. Lots of places to sit and relax with a drink on the resort. The coffee bar was my favorite as that is where i spent most of my nights just relaxing.
We had an awesome room with a great view from our balcony which must have been 12 feet by 20 feet roughly. The room faced Northwest and we got to see the sunset over the water from our balcony (like a dream).
The buffet had a very good selection of food and the a-la-cartes were very good as well. The resort was very clean, our room as well.
MR. Cleveland Hoo, i just can't say enough great things about this man. He is such a people person and really cares about his guests to the hotel. It will be sad to see him go but best wishes to him in his future endeavors wherever that might be.
Like other people have said the golf is pretty good. We did the gate pick up and drop off as well. Usually i got up at 6am, got ready went to the buffet for a quick bite at 7am and on the golf course by 7:30 am everyday. Then back at the resort by noon to relax on the beach or go for a walk into town.
We will be coming back to this resort again as we have nothing bad to say at all about this resort. Okay maybe one thing, keep the coffee bar open later :)
This resort is older but most of the resort has been renovated. We liked this resort as it was not like the newer ones that the property was so huge and took forever to get anywhere.
If you want a great resort, golf included and be close to town then i would recommend this resort without any hesitation at all.

Room Tip: Not near the disco.
7 Thank CHUNKDIT
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I just returned from my 2nd golf trip trip to Breezes in the month of January. (Jan 9 - 16th & Jan 24 - 31st).

As a returning guest, I have to say that I was very impressed with the many upgrades the Hotel has made over the years such as new Loungers around the Pool, the Gazebows, the new Coffee etc. dispenser in Jimmie's buffet, TV's , Air conditioners & room fridge cabinets, coffe bar & Lobby bar & Grill. I can go on & on, but I think you get the point. However; I dislike the idea that they added new shower heads to conserve water by turning down the pressure of the heads. Please Breezes, turn of the pressure !!!!

As always, the best feature of this Hotel are the staff. The best without a doubt of ALL the Hotels in Varadero. I could name names, but there are too many to mention.

As always, much of the credit belongs to the direcor Cleveland who we are going to miss belcause his contract with Breezes has just expired Janurey 31, 2013. Cleveland, I thank you for all your efforts and I can honestly say that all of us who have had the privledge of knowing you will miss you. I wish you you nothing but the best in your upcoming respit and future endevors.

As always, my only complaint regards the food. I am sure that Breezes Varadero can some how offer the variety and quality as found in their sister propery Bella Costa.

For all of you considering a tip to Breezes Varadero, I can assure you that you won't be disappointed. The property is dated, but they are making every effort to upgrade, and bring themselves back to a 4-star resort.

As for me.....thank you once again for a great golf vacation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank GolfTraveller007
ont
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Just returned yesterday from Breezes and the lobby bar is now the 24 hr. bar as all of the renos are done. They are still waiting for the deli equipment to be delivered and installed. On my last day they were starting to replace the lobby couches with wicker furniture. They have also replaced all of the lounge chairs around the pool. I do not know if the chairs on the beach have been replaced. The best thing in my opinion that has happened to the resort since my last visit is a ladder has been installed in the pool, so everyone can finally get out very easy.
This was a golf trip and it was a great experience. The first day we took a cab to the resort and were returned to the gate at the Tuxpan by a golf cart. Every day after we were picked up and dropped off at this location. On our last day we were driven back to the front door of Breezes as we had our clubs with us. They allow you to leave your golf clubs at the course at no cost. You just take them off your cart and walk a few yards and put them in a room wherever you want. We had no problems with anything going missing.
I also have been at this resort for many years and the improvements at the resort are impressive and the personalities of all of the employees are great. Of course there will always be a bad meal and a disgruntled employee but this can happen at every resort. I think that Cleveland has done a remarkable job with the people and improvements.
I think for what it costs to go to this resort with free golf everyone gets a good value for their dollar.
Lizbeth asked me to mention a change in format for the golf tournament in April. There will be two divisions.( 0-14 ) and ( 15+). The format will change and it will be low net using the Stapleford system. There will be free weeks won and many prizes given out. Everyone will have a chance to win a prize as after the winners are chosen all of the remaining prizes will be drawn from a hat.
She also wanted to say that there will be free weeks and prizes given out for the best Halloween costume if you happen to be there.
You are right "caper" I think the more the repeaters write about the resort and changes made will keep everyone informed better.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends